Author Topic: Rosewill Mechanical Keyboards  (Read 5267 times)

Offline WhipeeDip

Rosewill Mechanical Keyboards
« on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 22:26:30 »
I have decided to get a blue switch Rosewill keyboard on Amazon. There are 2 models (links below), one $65 and one $70. Deciding between either model (however this is not the main question).
I have researched, and many complain about the USB connector problem. Is it fixed yet? Does one model have it fixed versus the other? And would getting a right angle USB cable/adapter help?

Links:
$70 model:
http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Mechanical-Keyboard-Cherry-RK-9000I/dp/B008SVJH16/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353903650&sr=8-1&keywords=rosewill+blue+switch

$65 model:
http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Mechanical-Keyboard-Cherry-RK-9000/dp/B004F38Y7Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1353903650&sr=8-2&keywords=rosewill+blue+switch

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
Re: Rosewill Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 23:36:32 »
Uh some member on this forum claimed it's fixed and they've been using it for a long time without problem.  So might be ok now.

Though at that price I'd get it, if it breaks you can always solder it back anyway  :P

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline WhipeeDip

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 23:45:39 »
Uh some member on this forum claimed it's fixed and they've been using it for a long time without problem.  So might be ok now.

Though at that price I'd get it, if it breaks you can always solder it back anyway  :P

Hm, I'll look it up more. Found this thread
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35679.msg665408#msg665408

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 00:02:29 »
I've had one since Feb.  My wife uses it daily.  I've had no issues with it.
Russ

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 00:51:58 »
Here's the thread you're looking for:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36106.0

It's "fixed" in that they superglued down the USB port to make it more robust, but the design still has not changed. So in other words, it's not 100% fixed yet.

Those two models are exactly the same internally. They're only different in the case color.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 00:56:42 »
I sold my one with reds, not because it was bad but because I didn't need it. It's been working fine for 6 months of daily use/novel writing/gaming
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 01:11:02 »
Honestly, this whole uproar about he USB port breaking is a moot point. It's highly dependent on how the user treats the keyboard. Poker, Pure, all korean keyboards, etc, all use the same design of the mini-USB port being soldered but no one ever complains about these keyboards disconnecting because of USB problems. Rosewill is a mainstream KB, where owners are not like the many enthusiasts on this forum that treat keyboards with more care. The joints on the USB doesn't come loose for no reason. And if you know you're going to move it often (like constantly sliding your keyboard tray in and out), then use a less stiff cable. The braided cable that came with the Rosewill keyboards are nice and all, but they are way too stiff where it will stress the USB port.

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 02:26:49 »
My Rosewill be allegedly be here on the 29th.

I will let u know what I think of the cable and USB connector.

I paid $70.00 for mine.  I refused to pay a penny more due to the USB port and cable issue. 

I calculated that I move my keyboard 2-3 feet and back, once every hour.  So that is 40x per day.  I am not an idiot.  I won't run the cable in such a way that it yanks on the USB connector, if it can be helped.  Then again I have never had a stiff cable before.  All mine have been limp like an al dente noodle.  (sorry, donno how to type the accented e on windoze).
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline angry gamer

• Postmodern Martyr
    • http://www2.b3ta.com/mind-control/
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 03:06:33 »
I bought one last week from Amazon, although not from Rosewill but from a storefront called Amamax (and it was drop shipped from Newegg). I ended up selling it to my dad. I also got him a  right angle USB cable and explained why. I became a victim of the USB port coming loose myself, and after a last ditch effort and some help from another member here, I got it fixed. I didn't need the other board and tried to cancel the order as it was en route. Too late. They have a 20% restocking fee and they are a PITA to deal with. I offered it up to my dad.

He was very careful with it and in no less than a week his broke as well. Even with a right angle cable, there was hardly any stress put on it.

The point being, these boards without the glue are still in circulation. Be careful.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 11:11:10 »
It's a combination of things.  The position of the connector will always make it prone to side-loading.  Also, the cables that come with the Rosewill are quite stiff.  The braiding is just for show.  Under it is a typical, stiff USB cable with a foil shield. 

The mini-USB connector design is poor, which is one of the reasons why (besides being thinner) cell phone manufacturers abandoned it for the micro-USB.  The mini-USB connector is still cheaper than micro, which I think is why it is still in use.  The one Rosewill is using is not as stable as some others, but they'd need to redesign that area of the PCB to address it.  I think WASD mentioned they are going with micro-USB for the V2, so kudos to them.

I'm not worried about it, as it's such a great keyboard for the money.  If it breaks, I'll just solder a cable directly to the PCB and be done with it.
Russ

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 12:50:31 »
One is white case, white plate, the other is black case, red plate. unless im missing something?

I guess you could call the white one 'safer' in terms of new glue or whatever it is but I would just take into account the color you like best, price, and the former.