Author Topic: Adding Leds to CMstorm Quickfire Pro  (Read 5812 times)

Offline jadow

Adding Leds to CMstorm Quickfire Pro
« on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 08:12:04 »
hi all, hope im not in the wrong section.

I Currently own a CMstorm Quickfire Pro. Nothing is wrong with it, just that it happens to be partial LEDs

I know it has been said often that adding LEDs will cost more than buying a new keyboard but just stay with me on this. I just have a few questions  :-X

I noticed that there is no difference between the keys with Led and the ones without. Does it mean that it is possible to put Leds into those switches?
Is there any diagram to show how Leds are connected on Cherry blue keys? Also, what kind of Leds should be required? measurements and specs will be greatly appreciated. 

I understand that even if i found Leds and solder them into the keys somehow, they will not light up. Which brings me to my next question.
Is there a place or a dark side of the web which stores maps on the electronic diagrams for this particular keyboard?

I know i can just open the keyboard and have a look at it but its still under warrenty and i dont feel like breaking the seal unless i know what i am doing.

I figure if i manage to get all the information together. i will just short the Leds into a bunch together and solder new resistors into the board if i get that far.

Thank you for your patience  ^-^

virgin post  :D

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
Re: Adding Leds to CMstorm Quickfire Pro
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 11:21:19 »
LEDs are cheap if you know the right places to look. Although some of the are around $1 each if you buy individually.

CM is not going to release a full schematics and gerber file of the PCB. There might be data from safety testing, but not the kind of info you're looking for. When you look at the surface of the switches and plate, there might not be a difference, but the PCB might be different at areas with and without LEDs. First you need two tiny holes where the LED pins can go through, and there also needs to be electrical traces to these holes. You'll need to look at the PCB to see if it has both. I haven't seen anyone disassemble quickfire Pro and take pictures, so you'll have to verify yourself.

If there are holes with traces for the LEDs, then it's just simply plug them in and solder. If there are holes but no electrical traces, then you can hardwire it and use power from other LEDs or wire it directly into the 5v line of the USB. If there are no holes for the LED pins, then you're SOL.

You'll have to decide whether you want the mod or the warranty more. If you want both, then there are ways to take off the warranty sticker without damaging it, but that's not something I condone.

Offline jadow

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 00:05:07 »
thank you for the information =)

sorry about the late reply thou

Offline jadow

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 07:06:27 »
didn't meant to revive this.

attached is the PCB layout for the quickfire pro. The layout is inverted, spacebar is at the top. The keys have holes for USB but the PCB does not. the resistor used are 150R micro-resistors.

http://themodzoo.com/forum/index.php?/topic/613-cooler-master-quickfire-rapid-repaircleaning/ similar on how to open.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 December 2013, 07:11:25 by jadow »

Offline tgujay

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 10:08:01 »
didn't meant to revive this.

attached is the PCB layout for the quickfire pro. The layout is inverted, spacebar is at the top. The keys have holes for USB but the PCB does not. the resistor used are 150R micro-resistors.

http://themodzoo.com/forum/index.php?/topic/613-cooler-master-quickfire-rapid-repaircleaning/ similar on how to open.

Seems silly to create a PCB with LED holes only on certain keys.
Gotta collect them all

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 10:58:49 »
It's much less complex PCB without full backlight support. It's a 'gamer' keyboard, so led on the 'gamer' key make it stand out. Trying to mod this by drilling the pcb and handwire to make full led backlight is more trouble than it worth. If you want full backlight, I would just sell the CM Pro and get a different one that already have it.

Offline tgujay

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 11:13:22 »
It's much less complex PCB without full backlight support. It's a 'gamer' keyboard, so led on the 'gamer' key make it stand out. Trying to mod this by drilling the pcb and handwire to make full led backlight is more trouble than it worth. If you want full backlight, I would just sell the CM Pro and get a different one that already have it.

Yeah my point was they have another board with full backlighting, wouldn't it make more sense to have one PCB and only populate those keys with LED's than to have two different PCB's just to have less LED's?
Gotta collect them all

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 11:54:13 »
The Trigger and the TK are both by different OEM than the Pro. The only thing those 3 keyboard have in common is MX switch and CM logos on them.

Offline tgujay

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 12:00:52 »
The Trigger and the TK are both by different OEM than the Pro. The only thing those 3 keyboard have in common is MX switch and CM logos on them.

I know, that's my point, they are paying two manufacturers for 2 different PCB's.
Gotta collect them all