Author Topic: Your recommendations? [solved and happy]  (Read 1812 times)

Offline theanzelm

Your recommendations? [solved and happy]
« on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 09:54:52 »
Hi everyone!

After spilling water in my G15, then buying the Corsair K90 (my first mechanical keyboard) and spilling water in that one again, I will now only drink water from bottles at the PC and I will buy a new keyboard!

Requirements:
- large wrist rest that actually supports my hand (I have long fingers)
- ISO layout (ANSI would be ok, if necessary), US labeling (for coding)
- Red or blue switches should be fine (K90 was red, a friend has blues), maybe black?
- backlighting would be nice
- cost + shipping to Germany should be under 150€ if possible
- must have tenkeys
- 6KRO ok, NKRO nice
- shouldn't have macro or media keys that take up a lot of space
(Fn key solution or something is ok and good)
- USB and microphone plugs not needed
- design: not too generic (Arial font), not too funky (wierd shapes or military) or overbranded

My use case: gaming and coding

Plan A:
- get the German CM Storm Trigger (for ISO layout and easy shipping)
- maybe get custom keycaps from WASD Keyboards (for US labeling and awesomeness)

Problems:
- Rubber coating could be crap
- I don't like the military design (custom keycaps would help there)
- a little too expensive
- keycap design and ordering hassle (design could be fun though)

Plan B:
- get the US-ISO QPad Mk 85

Problems:
- Rubber coating could be crap
- overbranded (leave the damn Q-key alone!)
- a little too expensive

What do you guys think?
Any alternatives?

Thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 November 2012, 08:16:59 by theanzelm »

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Re: Your recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 10:25:51 »
The SteelSeries 7G might be worth a look, it doesn't have ugly branding and comes with a pretty large wrist rest, although it is rather costly. You could contact SteelSeries and see if you can get a 6Gv2 with the wrist rest. Or buy a separate wrist rest, if you can find one you like.
Although from what I remember the SS boards have a funky layout that makes it hard to get custom caps for.

You could also look at some of the old Cherry boards, they should be cheap and easy to get a hold of in Germany, although you might not like the design. You'll probably still have to get custom caps for it.

If the CM Storm Trigger is the one made by Costar then it's a solid board and the rubber coating is good.
The QPad is made by IOne, which is one of the shoddier OEMs, and is both overbranded and expensive.

Offline theanzelm

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 10:40:44 »
CM Storm Trigger's OEM is iOne as well :/
The SteelSeries 7G looks very ugly to me, because of the wrist rest.
The 6GV2 looks fine, but has a non-standard enter key, no backlighting or wrist rest.
(Buying a seperate wrist rest would be ok as well, can you recommend one?)

Are there perhaps some more obscure keyboards that would fit my needs?
Ducky or other asian brands? Shipping time is not that important as long as it arrives and is not way too expensive.

Thanks so far!
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 November 2012, 11:26:19 by theanzelm »

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 11:09:47 »

Sorry, but that's Wrong. Only the Quickfire Pro is iOne. The other two keyboards (Quickfire Rapid and Trigger) are Costar.

God knows who makes the Quickfire TK, but it's not iOne, Costar or i-rocks.

Ducky or other asian brands? Shipping time is not that important as long as it arrives and is not way too expensive.

Thanks so far!

Problem is, most of those don't make ISO keyboards...  :(

Though... What about taking a look at the PLUM 96?  ;D

« Last Edit: Tue, 27 November 2012, 11:14:51 by wetto »
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline theanzelm

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 11:25:48 »

Sorry, but that's Wrong. Only the Quickfire Pro is iOne. The other two keyboards (Quickfire Rapid and Trigger) are Costar.

God knows who makes the Quickfire TK, but it's not iOne, Costar or i-rocks.

Oh, good to know, may have misred something.

ISO is not a strong requirement, only a preference!

Hmm I don't like the PLUM 96's layout and design, or am I missing something special about it?
Thanks, though.

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 11:31:16 »

Oh, good to know, may have misred something.

ISO is not a strong requirement, only a preference!

Hmm I don't like the PLUM 96's layout and design, or am I missing something special about it?
Thanks, though.

POM keycaps (on the black model), you can choose between Red, Black, Blue or Brown switches models, wireless/wired modes with NKRO, compact layout, low weight (since it's PCB mounted), one of the easiest keyboards to mod (since it's PCB mounted and has LED holes on it) and best of all, cheap (around US$ 100 with world-wide shipping).

PLUM is the OEM itself, they make Noppoo keyboards too and the quality is great.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 November 2012, 11:34:43 by wetto »
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline theanzelm

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 11:47:09 »
Well good build quality and POM caps are nice, but I don't care about weight, wireless or moddability (if it looks good by itself, which it doesn't for me).
And although it has tenkeys, I'd also like to have dedicated arrows and the block above it (although they may be in another position, like on the Raptor K1).

Offline theanzelm

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 08:16:38 »
Alright, after some more thinking, I got myself a plain old QFR now, it arrived this morning.
- I guess I don't really need tenkeys
- The mouse seems much closer now!
- I really don't need backlighting
- ANSI is fine as well
- The font is a bit ugly, but better than generic. I think I will get custom keycaps sooner or later anyways.
- I really like the minimalistic case and its color.
- Cherry Blacks are fine as someone who only used Reds
- It was really cheap!
- Wrist rest might not be needed, as I learned I am supposed to hover my wrists while typing anyways!

So I pretty much contradicted all of my initial requirements, but I'm happy with it.
Thanks for your help, I fear I'm infected now as well (spent yesterday evening reading the post your keycaps topic and stuff).

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
Re: Your recommendations? [solved and happy]
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 08:26:44 »
I think you summed up the QFR pretty well in one shot!
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Your recommendations? [solved and happy]
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 16:54:09 »
I was surprised how much I liked my QFR (also with MX blacks, and also very cheap).

I have already replaced all the keycaps except the spacebar.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ