Author Topic: Buying my first mechanical keyboard  (Read 3732 times)

Offline TheDoc

Buying my first mechanical keyboard
« on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 07:29:59 »
Hi all,

Was referred to here by another mechanical keyboard community who said I'd get some great advice and information here. I've had a read through the forum, apologies for what will be deemed another " what to buy thread" , just sticky threads etc. didnt appear to obvious.

I'm a heavy gaming and typing user. I play mostly games, although at the same time do just as much typing, I think they are mutually exclusive to be honest. So after long deliberations from friends, this reddit (mostly) and general browsing, I've decided on Cherry Browns. It looks like a safe starting point and then I can experiment down the line.

Why the change? I love upgrading and changing my PC, I havn't used a modern mechanical keyboard and they seem the rage. I like the sound of the keypress and friends who have invested have mentioned a noticeable difference.

So now its decision time. I had originally wanted a Razer Blackwidow and then after looking into manafacturers and reviews, pretty much reversed my thoughts entirely.
I'm looking at the following, in order of what at the moment is winning in my mind.

QPAD MK80
CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid
UK Filco Ninja Majestouch-2
Filco Majestouch-2
Das Proffesional

The QPAD is gently winning due to the back lighting and general reviews from resources I've trusted before. Although the Filcos are renowned in the gaming world also, albeit don't get enough exposure due to the gaming companies power house marketing.

DAS I was interested in until seeing reviews where it seems to get filthy, really quickly.

For the US posters here, I believe the QPAD is called the ArmourX or something over your side of the pond.

Any advice, experiences and recommended places to buy appreciated (I'm in Ireland so trading in Euro)

Thanks,
Doc

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Re: Buying my first mechanical keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 07:40:25 »
The QPad is a rebranded Xarmor, but the original Xarmor is no longer in production.

Like I said in the other thread; the QFR is the best deal out there at the moment barring sales, location etc.

If gaming is important to you then you might want to consider getting reds or blacks, I started off with browns and blues, got reds later and now I've settled on reds as my favourite switch.

The QPad is made by iOne I think, Das won't tell us who makes their boards and the QFR and Filcos are both made by Costar.

If you want a Filco, check out Keyboardco, they're a very solid company with excellent service, although they're in England so they deal in GBP, not EUR.

In short; Filco and QFR are the top choices, they're built pretty much identical, Filco has more subtle branding but also costs quite a bit more.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 07:44:43 »
On this side of the pond, there is no 'u' in 'Armor' :)

The Armor-X is an Ione board, and Ione is known to make low quality stuff.
The CM and Filcos are both good boards, If you get the Filco you will have better resale options, but it is a much larger investment for minimal gains.

Offline TheDoc

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 07:54:48 »
Thanks for the response guys.

The CM QFR has definitely jumped into the forefront after browsing around here today.

I see the EU CoolerMaster store has the board unbranded from their pics ( well not heavily branded) and it does look nice.

I guess I settled on Browns as it seemed to be a nice middle of the road for typing and gaming. If I'm honest I find typing and gaming to be mutually exclusive, just my opinion.

I'll start having a look around at store options for where to buy, any recommendations for Europeans? Also if CM's own store only gives the MX switch as Black, possible to get different switches for the board?

THanks

Offline LollyWater

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 07:57:40 »
I agree with vun. If you're into your gaming Reds are a good option. There is no switch for gaming nor is there one for typing. They're just switches and they should be judged on how they feel. I game a fair bit but the majority of what I do is surf the web. But because gaming is important to me and they seemed to feel the best for gaming I went with Reds. They are also the lightest which appeals to me. Even if you never game Reds are still a nice switch. I would recommend picking up this. (Can't find the link) But I can't talk much, I'll be getting my first mech soon hopefully.

Also, I'm the guy who referred you here. :)

Offline TheDoc

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 08:10:03 »
I agree with vun. If you're into your gaming Reds are a good option. There is no switch for gaming nor is there one for typing. They're just switches and they should be judged on how they feel. I game a fair bit but the majority of what I do is surf the web. But because gaming is important to me and they seemed to feel the best for gaming I went with Reds. They are also the lightest which appeals to me. Even if you never game Reds are still a nice switch. I would recommend picking up this. (Can't find the link) But I can't talk much, I'll be getting my first mech soon hopefully.

Also, I'm the guy who referred you here. :)

^-^

Thanks for the ref, this place is a goldmine of information.

I'm in the unfortunate situation that I can't test anything, so I'm going off opinions. No store in Ireland carries any quality mechanical keyboards so I can't go in and have a mess around with any type. Reds do seem to get a good review all round on this forum, from the browsing I've done.

I see a seller on Amazon retailing for a decent price, just need to ask him what switches he can provide, his listing says switches based on region being shipped to : /

Offline LollyWater

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 08:15:52 »
I can't find the bloody link but WASD Keyboards has a sample pack for about $7. You get the four main switches a bunch of keycaps and some O-rings. Awesome deal.

Offline TheDoc

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 08:16:48 »
I can't find the bloody link but WASD Keyboards has a sample pack for about $7. You get the four main switches a bunch of keycaps and some O-rings. Awesome deal.

O cool will check that out

For the board itself

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=KB-005-CM

I shop with them alot, so comfortable buying from them, good price too.

I just mailed to check stock availability and if they could get in Red switches, black seem to be pretty stiff from what I'm reading.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 08:32:31 »
If gaming is just as important as typing I would seriously consider a linear switch, reds will probably be the best option, as browns is a decent middle-of-the-road switch but actually suffers from gaming; using browns, or any tactile switch, for gaming means the switches will wear unevenly. Maybe I'm just being OCD about it, but browns really only offer something for typing and does nothing for gaming.
Reds, and blacks, are linear and as such are no different when used for gaming or typing.

Edit: If you're coming from rubberdome boards and are worrying about blacks; you probably won't have any issues. Blacks are a bit heavier than reds and browns, but you'll only notice that if you're used to reds or browns.
Even now that I'm using reds I can't really say that the board I have with blacks feels stiff, just slightly heavier.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 November 2012, 08:36:19 by vun »

Offline LollyWater

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 08:42:51 »
For the board itself

I'm guessing the lack of a Tenkey is not an issue anymore?

Offline TheDoc

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 09:27:28 »
For the board itself

I'm guessing the lack of a Tenkey is not an issue anymore?

Thought about it, and got quickly over it, not as big a deal as previously thought.

Offline TheDoc

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 02:44:50 »
Overclockers got back to me to say they are out of stock, have no idea when coming back in, and are black switch only.

So now to hunt the web for a CM QFR Red switch

Offline Panoptic

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 08:45:23 »
My favorite switch for a 50/50 typing/gaming mix is Clears.  Not really fond of Cherry stabilizers though.

That said, I'm running Matias for my daily drivers both at home and at work.

Offline TheDoc

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 18:05:32 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 18:20:03 »
An excellent choice!  Although the price seems a bit higher than I would expect, maybe just UK prices.  Nevertheless a good, solid keyboard :)

A shame about the keycaps (many, including me, are not too keen on the legends), but you can always replace those.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 18:25:44 »
An excellent choice!  Although the price seems a bit higher than I would expect, maybe just UK prices.  Nevertheless a good, solid keyboard :)

A shame about the keycaps (many, including me, are not too keen on the legends), but you can always replace those.
They seem to be a bit pricier in Europe from what I've seen.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 18:32:35 »
I guess the Aussie ones are not so bad then.  Except we don't have the range of keyboards available in the US and Europe.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ