Author Topic: SteelSeries 6GV2 or Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 (Both Red-Switch Type)  (Read 6341 times)

Offline razorsharpgears

• TheOriginalBecker
    • Becker's 市場 рынок Markt - Sell/Buy/Trade
Hey there community, first time poster here. And I have a question that I hope some of you can answer.

Well basically my dilemma is whether I should buy the SteelSeries 6GV2 or Filco Ninja Majestouch-2, however, whichever one I do end up deciding on, it will definitely be a mx cherry red switch.
From what I have read Filco is one of the best mechanical keyboard makers out there and I am sure I am going to receive a ton of replies aiming me in that direction.
Although the Filco may be the better brand, sound is a major issue for me. So I would like to get the quietest keyboard possible. And please don't lecture me on other switches or keyboards, I have
done my research and I am firm on picking one of these two. Currently I own a Logitech G110, and even though the keyboard has membrane-dome based keys, the sound from typing is still generally
pretty loud. I have looked into O-rings and soft-landing pads and I am also asking for help in those fields. I hear that the O-rings do a better job and have a better feel, but like I said I want the maximum
noise reduction possible, so maybe utilizing both O-rings and soft-landing pads is an option? lol I really dont know :/
Also are hand rests a big deal or not? Tenkeyless or not?
All advice, tips, commentary, etc. is well welcome.

Thanks guys ( and gals ) in advance!
Here at GeekClack, time isn't worth anything because CCs are money.
"You cannot plan the future. Only presumptuous fools plan. The wise man steers."
— Cosmo Lavish
|WTB/T/S| Thread ←Link

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Re: SteelSeries 6GV2 or Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 (Both Red-Switch Type)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 21:05:20 »
Tenkeyless is something you have to consider if you want or not.
Both boards will be equally loud, although changing keycaps might help with that somewhat.
From what I've seen people have had mixed experiences with o-rings, and a lot of the sound comes from releasing the key, not bottoming out, so o-rings don't do a lot for that.
Maybe thick doubleshots with o-rings and landing pads if they have them for Cherry switches, I only remember seeing them for Topre boards.
Personally I don't really like using my keyboard without a wrist rest, although like the tenkey this often comes down to personal preference.

Filco is built better, but also costs more, and the SS isn't really a bad board either, at least for the price. I'm not sure about the ANSI 6G boards, but some of them have weird layouts making it difficult to find replacement caps.
So if you're thinking about changing the caps; go with the Filco. The Filco also comes in tenkeyless, and if the tenkey isn't essential to you I'd highly recommend tenkeyless.

Offline Caaaarrrt

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 21:46:18 »
Welcome to GeekHack!

I would definitely go for a Filco over the steelseries, I don't like the big enter on the steelseries, I think it would be annoying to use and it also makes it difficult finding replacemnt caps, as mentioned. I would go for a tenkeyless, unless you desperately need the numberpad, but even in that case I would just get a separate one.

O-rings do help reduce the bottoming out noise but there will still be some noise, the softer the o-ring the more absorbtion effect it will have, but it will also make the bottom-out feel more 'mushy' and detract for the key feel. I didn't mind the 40A o-rings that WASDKeyboards sells. I wouldn't bother with a combination of o-rings and soft landing pads as it wouldn't really make it any quieter, it would mainly just reduce the travel, possibly even too far for the switch to actuate.

If you are able to manage it, but it is fairly difficult to do all the time but not bottoming out linear switches would result in quiet typing.
Metal Grey LZ-GH - 62g Clears | White HHKB Pro2 |KBC Poker - Lubed Reds w/ Plate and Red Imsto case | Duck PokerCM QuickFire Rapid - Blues w/ red case

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 22:27:37 »
I don't like the big enter on the steelseries

I say the big enter key is not an issue, it's the extra key next to both left and right shifts are annoying.  I tried an layout like that before and I keep hitting the wrong key ALL the time.  So definitely Filco for sure.

As for o-ring, I find it's love and hate.  I find it felt weird on my mx brown, haven't try them on my mx red board yet not sure how it would feel.  But it definitely will change your typing experience so beware of that.  I'd also suggest you NOT combine both o-ring and landing pads I don't think it would help much.  I say just stick with o-ring should be enough, at least they're fairly cheap so you can try it out and see if you like it or not  :)

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline razorsharpgears

• TheOriginalBecker
    • Becker's 市場 рынок Markt - Sell/Buy/Trade
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 23:26:41 »
Wow! Thank you all for such the quick responses. And after reading just these posts I am going for the 6GV2 due to cost issues, but I am looking forward to purchasing the Filco keyboard next. And regarding "vun"'s post, what exactly are doubleshots? Also, what specific keycaps would help with reducing noise? Thanks all :D
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 December 2012, 19:45:40 by razorsharpgears »
Here at GeekClack, time isn't worth anything because CCs are money.
"You cannot plan the future. Only presumptuous fools plan. The wise man steers."
— Cosmo Lavish
|WTB/T/S| Thread ←Link

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 00:35:23 »
The SteelSeries has a Function key (a la Thermaltake Meka G1) between left Ctrl and Alt - so if you have an issue hitting the Windows key there, no. You will not have that issue with a 6GV2. (Both are the same CST104 layout.) It does NOT function as a Windows key under any circumstances.
That said, it's real hard for anyone sane to recommend the 6GV2 unless you've already got your own keycaps or you're planning to replace the keycaps immediately. Costar is merrily shipping batch after batch after batch of terribad ABS caps which normal users are reporting the letters wearing off of or turning gray within mere weeks. Just check the reviews on Amazon for a number of CST104 boards including the Meka G1, 6GV2, and I forget which others have the same defectively produced keycaps. It's not SteelSeries - it's Costar deliberately shipping a known defective low quality part. SteelSeries will cover it under warranty, but, it's a significant added hassle as compared to the Filco, which does not have this problem.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 04:58:13 »
Wow! Thank you all for such the quick responses. And after reading just these posts I definitely am going for the Filco. And regarding "vun"'s post, what exactly are doubleshots? Also, what specific keycaps would help with reducing noise? Thanks all :D
This is doubleshot. The letters are made as part of the keycap rather than just printed on, doubleshots tend to be thicker than normal both due to the production method and because doubleshot is a bit of a thing from the past, back when making quality boards was more important than saving material costs. The heavy caps should at least make the sound more pleasant.

The SteelSeries has a Function key (a la Thermaltake Meka G1) between left Ctrl and Alt - so if you have an issue hitting the Windows key there, no. You will not have that issue with a 6GV2. (Both are the same CST104 layout.) It does NOT function as a Windows key under any circumstances.
That said, it's real hard for anyone sane to recommend the 6GV2 unless you've already got your own keycaps or you're planning to replace the keycaps immediately. Costar is merrily shipping batch after batch after batch of terribad ABS caps which normal users are reporting the letters wearing off of or turning gray within mere weeks. Just check the reviews on Amazon for a number of CST104 boards including the Meka G1, 6GV2, and I forget which others have the same defectively produced keycaps. It's not SteelSeries - it's Costar deliberately shipping a known defective low quality part. SteelSeries will cover it under warranty, but, it's a significant added hassle as compared to the Filco, which does not have this problem.
I heard Datacomp made the 6Gv2, not Costar, do they buy their caps from Costar.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 08:01:36 »
It's not SteelSeries - it's Costar deliberately shipping a known defective low quality part.
The problem IS SteelSeries. They could have paid for higher quality stuff, but doesn't. SS obvious rather RMA boards than pay for better stuff (obvious since they went with Datacomp instead of Costar). SS is a gaming peripheral junk peddler. They're not Razer bad, but that isn't saying much.