Author Topic: Keycool 84 vs Noppoo Choc Mini  (Read 12543 times)

Offline Sef

Keycool 84 vs Noppoo Choc Mini
« on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 06:47:38 »
Hey guys,

I'm relatively new here (just been browsing around for a while but I finally decided to register).

I will be buying my first mechanicaly keyboard and I'm undecided between getting the Keycool 84 and the Choc Mini... (Wanting to get them in red switches if that matters o.o)

What are some of the positives and negatives of each of these boards?

Thanks,
Sef

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Keycool 84 vs Noppoo Choc Mini
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 07:04:50 »
Welcome to GH.

Keycool 84 has detachable USB cable, non-standard placement of stems on spacebar (Choc Mini has completely non-standard spacebar, though), and I believe there are differences in keycaps (both should be PBT/POM, but Keycool might have different profile — keycaps on Noppoo are similar to Cherry, but more flat).

Offline Jeru

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 15:36:20 »
I have the noppoo Choc Mini, I love the keyboard, however the keys do fade quite quick in my opinion, I've had it for about a year I think, and I really do notice the keys that I use often so WASD do fade.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 15:40:58 »
I have the noppoo Choc Mini, I love the keyboard, however the keys do fade quite quick in my opinion, I've had it for about a year I think, and I really do notice the keys that I use often so WASD do fade.
I can confirm this, but I'm afraid this is the same with most if not all black lasered&filled keycaps. At least POM doesn't get shiny.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 10:44:44 »
I can confirm this, but I'm afraid this is the same with most if not all black lasered&filled keycaps. At least POM doesn't get shiny.

Same thing with my PLU-ML-G3000-NKRO, at least decent 37-key sets are relatively cheap if you really need the legends.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: Re: Keycool 84 vs Noppoo Choc Mini
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 12:13:31 »

Same thing with my PLU-ML-G3000-NKRO, at least decent 37-key sets are relatively cheap if you really need the legends.
The PLU-ML-G3000...Does that have ML's in it or is it just a deceptive part number?

Offline Sinzz

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 16:11:28 »
Keycool 84 also has backlit features, and I believe it has an updated stabilizer layout (i believe the non-backlit ones use costar wheras this one uses cherry?). The spacebar is interchangeable with my ducky, so I don't know if its still non-standard. The Keycool 84 (again, I only have the backlit version so I don't know if the non-backlit has the same since it's older.) also has a plethora of media key features, eg calculator, computer, web browser, play/pause etc. located in the Fn/F rows. You can also open it up without having to remove any screws or anything, so it's easy to modify or clean, if you're into that.
Keycool 84 MX Blue | Pure Pro | HHKB Pro 2

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 17:13:29 »
The PLU-ML-G3000...Does that have ML's in it or is it just a deceptive part number?

Deceptive part number, it uses Cherry MX Reds.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: Re: Keycool 84 vs Noppoo Choc Mini
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 22:13:20 »

Deceptive part number, it uses Cherry MX Reds.
Thanks, didn't know if anyone but Cherry mad ML boards.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 14:11:17 »
I know this thread has died a bit, but I decided to purchase an 84 keyboard, and I went with the Noppoo Choc Mini with MX blue switches.  The Keycool 84 has backlighting and detachable USB, but I found these unnecessary because I planned to use the keyboard at work. I didn't need anything to be too fancy.

My biggest question for me is the difference in build quality. I though the Noppoo Choc Mini had good build quality, but then I got a Filco and that changed my views on build quality, as in the Filco has great build quality and the Noppoo is better than average, but not that great.  I wonder where the Keycool 84 fits on that scale.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline blighty

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 13:38:33 »
My biggest question for me is the difference in build quality. I though the Noppoo Choc Mini had good build quality, but then I got a Filco and that changed my views on build quality, as in the Filco has great build quality and the Noppoo is better than average, but not that great.  I wonder where the Keycool 84 fits on that scale.
I got my non-backlit KC84 after my Filco TKL(both MX black), and the Filco definitely feels sturdier (although the KC84 is plate-mounted too, so it still feels solid, just not as solid as the Filco).  But considering the KC84 retails for just over half of what the Filco does, it's not surprising.  I'd buy the KC84 again though, since the layout is close to perfect as I have seen on a production board.  The keycaps are an eyesore, and should be removed and burned as soon as you can (seriously, KC's font is god-awful ugly on the non-backlit board, looks somewhat better with just symbols on the backlit ones).
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 21:54:53 »
Where did you guys find the non-backlit keyboards for the KeyCool 84? I got mine on Ebay and they only sell the backlit ones. At least that is what i found. Thanks.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 22:53:21 »
I'm a little worried about the Choc Minis these days...there seem to be more "My Choc Mini is broken!" threads around than is comforting.

Qtan has the non-backlit KC84 in his Vendio, I think.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 22:56:34 »
Okay thanks. I will check it out.