Author Topic: Is there any way I can buy something like this?  (Read 9322 times)

Offline bardomudo

Is there any way I can buy something like this?
« on: Wed, 12 December 2012, 17:50:29 »
Anyone know where I can find a set with beige (or even white) and grey caps much like this mock-up from a CCnG I did?

Font is not relevant, I'm fine with something more traditional, and I don't care about it being Cherry profile, though that would be neat. I'd just really like it to to be PBT (can even be regular, no need for thick) and, if possible, dye sub, even though laser etched is fine too. PBT is really the only thing I don't wanna give up.

I know about WASD but I really don't want to spend that much for ABS non-doubleshot keys.

Is there any way I can find something like that without spending way too much (something like $60 or less)?

Thanks.

Offline feng

• * Vendor
Re: Is there any way I can buy something like this?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 12 December 2012, 18:21:40 »
It's the first time to see this, but it seems similar to those Korean Red/Green/Blue Cream Cheese Doubleshot keycaps. I just never see a grey cream cheese set.

Is it Reaper's pic? Looks like his classical background =P  Send him a PM, or ask Sherryton who used to sell some Korean cream cheese keysets.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 12 December 2012, 18:26:27 »
Try imsto if you want pbt, but you will probably have to get 2 set to have 2tone set up.

Offline bardomudo

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 12 December 2012, 18:30:07 »
Thanks, feng. This is actually Reaper's CCnG set I photoshopped to show what I meant. That's exactly the thing, I always see CCnB, CCnG and Red Alert-like keyboards, but I have never seen it grey. Closets thing I could find are Imsto's thick dark grey PBT sets, but not only they're expensive, I don't think he has a white/beige set to go with it.

Offline bardomudo

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 12 December 2012, 18:32:40 »
lol Yeah, that's my pic but he changed the color from green to grey. Thanks for asking permission to use it first.  ;)

Wow, were you seriously bothered by that? I'm a professional photographer and I take copyright very seriously since this is something I struggle with on a daily basis. But are you seriously bothered I used your picture to simple make a mock-up from a question I had on the forum?

If you are, even though I don't agree, just let me know and I will take it off.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 12 December 2012, 18:41:46 »
I made a set like you want from an Imsto Gray and an SP Standard Doubleshot White with Black Base set ($35).  Turned out very nice.

http://keycapsdirect.com/marketplace.php

And then I used the Imsto alphas on another keyboard.  Also nice.

Good luck and please consider at least apologizing to Reaper.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 12 December 2012, 18:59:03 »
I was on his side, assuming since there wasn't a watermark that he didn't know who's picture it was, but meh now.

I still think it's a little catty to be mad at not being attributed when there's no harm intended.

Offline bardomudo

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 12 December 2012, 19:07:31 »
I was on his side, assuming since there wasn't a watermark that he didn't know who's picture it was, but meh now.

I still think it's a little catty to be mad at not being attributed when there's no harm intended.

I didn't even know it was his until I searched after feng's message. I found it on Google Image after searching for CCnG pictures. I really don't get what all the fuss is about. I will take it off if he asks, but I did nothing wrong and I'm not apologizing.

Offline bardomudo

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 12 December 2012, 20:08:38 »
I made a set like you want from an Imsto Gray and an SP Standard Doubleshot White with Black Base set ($35).  Turned out very nice.

http://keycapsdirect.com/marketplace.php

And then I used the Imsto alphas on another keyboard.  Also nice.

- Ron | samwisekoi

That's actually quite a great suggestion, thanks. Too bad Imsto thick PBTs are so expensive. Are they the same profile of the SP ones? Do you have any pictures showing the result?

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 12 December 2012, 21:17:37 »
Love the modifiers on those korean caps
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 12 December 2012, 21:24:52 »
Here you go.  Fresh from the potato-phone camera.  Legends are red, but the keys are off-white and gray.
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 12 December 2012, 21:29:34 »
If you find it, or start a group buy, I'm in, looks nice

Offline bardomudo

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 12 December 2012, 21:37:54 »

Yeah, too bad I don't have the connections nor I'm savvy enough to start a Group Buy. I'd jump in immediately though, even if it wasn't PBT but DoubleShot ABS. I'm in for even some more traditional, with all blacks legends.

Here you go.  Fresh from the potato-phone camera.  Legends are red, but the keys are off-white and gray.

Looks great, thanks for sharing. I'm really tempted to do this but on a much more real sense, I can't justify $125 + shipping just for both sets  :(

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 12 December 2012, 21:38:19 »
I never understood people saying anything about using their picture... shouldnt you be more on the flattered side? It's not like they're taking credit or giving someone else credit. If its taken off of say google like stated, its quite understandable to not know who to put (ie; 'thanks ____ for the pic') IMO. & '*****ing' about it on a non water-marked picture? Basically asking for credit NOT to be given.

*crops out watermark* :))

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 12 December 2012, 21:42:44 »

Yeah, too bad I don't have the connections nor I'm savvy enough to start a Group Buy. I'd jump in immediately though, even if it wasn't PBT but DoubleShot ABS. I'm in for even some more traditional, with all blacks legends.

Fortunately, with the new process through SP, GBs aren't too bad at all.  Hell, I'm in the middle of running what feels to be a fairly smooth one right now.  Now, you may find that post count and join date will hamper your successes, but you could also start an interest check easily enough and someone with more experience may volunteer to help you do things when it gets time.

Offline bardomudo

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 12 December 2012, 22:09:37 »

Fortunately, with the new process through SP, GBs aren't too bad at all.  Hell, I'm in the middle of running what feels to be a fairly smooth one right now.  Now, you may find that post count and join date will hamper your successes, but you could also start an interest check easily enough and someone with more experience may volunteer to help you do things when it gets time.

Yeah, I'm definitely not the person to organize something like this, specially with me being so new here.

That being said, it would be awesome if someone did it. I would definitely help any way I could.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 12 December 2012, 22:39:08 »
Once some of my current group buy business concludes, I will be starting a round 2 with imsto to do some more dyesubs in the classic 2tone colorway. it might be a few months though. If you or someone else want to step up and start it sooner I wouldn't mind helping out a little bit and of course you would be able to use my Cherry replica legends if you wanted.

Offline bardomudo

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 12 December 2012, 23:35:32 »
Once some of my current group buy business concludes, I will be starting a round 2 with imsto to do some more dyesubs in the classic 2tone colorway. it might be a few months though. If you or someone else want to step up and start it sooner I wouldn't mind helping out a little bit and of course you would be able to use my Cherry replica legends if you wanted.

That's really nice of you, lysol. You have way more experience than me, so I guess I can wait. I saw your group buy and I really loved the keys, too bad none was a 2-tone classic (I even got extremely excited for a moment when I saw the picture of the olivetti). I'm definitely in when you do it next time.

If someone else wants to do it sooner, even better  ;D

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: Re: Is there any way I can buy something like this?
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 12 December 2012, 23:40:24 »
lol Yeah, that's my pic but he changed the color from green to grey. Thanks for asking permission to use it first.  ;)

Wow, were you seriously bothered by that? I'm a professional photographer and I take copyright very seriously since this is something I struggle with on a daily basis. But are you seriously bothered I used your picture to simple make a mock-up from a question I had on the forum?

Jimmies rustled sufficiently.

I think Reaper was joking with you, notice the ;) in his post. Just let it slip and go. Its the world wide interwebz out there, don't get your jimmies rustled. :)

Offline bardomudo

Re: Re: Is there any way I can buy something like this?
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 00:26:15 »

Jimmies rustled sufficiently.

I think Reaper was joking with you, notice the ;) in his post. Just let it slip and go. Its the world wide interwebz out there, don't get your jimmies rustled. :)

I didn't get mad, only surprised he could possibly be upset by something small and trivial like that. After several years of being a very active member of several 4chan boards, it's hard for me to get mad over anything on the internet anymore. I obviously never meant no harm to anyone and the specific "issue" presented here is actually something so trivial that happens so constantly to me and a lot of other professionals I know that almost all of us usually just overlook it without any problems when it happens. To be fair, we even enjoy it since we take it as an appreciation of our work.

That being said, I still don't know this community long enough to know what to expect from the humor of the userbase, and since copyright violation is something I'm constantly struggling professionally, I tend to take the subject very seriously, specially when being accused of doing it. If he was being humorous, it's all fine now and there's no point further prolonging this discussion. After all, we are here for a healthy discussion of the topic's original subject.

If he was serious, we'll both discuss it further through PM'ing if necessary.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 December 2012, 00:27:57 by bardomudo »

Offline Rumudiez

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 02:06:48 »
I would be into this so hard I can't even make a bad analogy. I've looked for complete grey and white sets before and absolutely love the original Leopold FC700R greys but have never been able to purchase anything like them.

I'll gladly help with setting up a group buy if wanted :)
40% layout, anyone?

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 02:59:57 »
For grey on white alphanums, you could try a lasered Cherry White/Beige set. The legends are not quite black like their doubleshot counterparts, and they are also very cheap and abundant (since most people want the doubleshots/dyesubs).

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline bardomudo

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 09:26:10 »
Do you mean caps from a G80 like these ones?

How much do you think they are worth? I could try making an offer for them on ebay.

EDIT: Just realized they would probably never fit any modern mechanical keyboard because of the off centered caps lock stem and stabilizers.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 December 2012, 09:41:16 by bardomudo »

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 09:45:10 »

How much do you think they are worth? I could try making an offer for them on ebay.

those keys in your picture are dyesub, not lasered, and are super expensive just like the ebay listing price shows

what jeroplane said to look for are the dual color g80-3000L**** or g81-3000L**** with center stem modifiers. With those everything would fit except the caps lock would need to get its stem modded
----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

Offline bardomudo

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 11:09:33 »

those keys in your picture are dyesub, not lasered, and are super expensive just like the ebay listing price shows

what jeroplane said to look for are the dual color g80-3000L**** or g81-3000L**** with center stem modifiers. With those everything would fit except the caps lock would need to get its stem modded

Got it, thanks. I'll lurk some more on ebay.

I still hope someone will do a Group Buy of this soon. I can also wait for lysol's.

Offline modulor

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 11:47:08 »
My plan is to use my current set of imsto cherry font on grey dyesub, and combine that with the recent run of imsto cherry font on white dyesub, but of course lysol will eventually run a group buy for the official white/beige color scheme, which I can't wait for!

Offline Vintage

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 15:59:28 »
That sound very cool Lysol. Wouldn't even mind a set with different colored mods like the dark gray dyesubs from IMSTO. I think it looks better than the vintage beige color. But im too picky.
CM QFR w/ MX Reds  | Logitech G900

Offline engicoder

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 10:23:46 »
I would definitely be in on a set like those in your (borrowed and modified  ^-^) picture.

Offline bardomudo

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 14:21:01 »
So, while still not ideal, I realized I could do something similar to what I wanted with what I already have. Should be enough until lysol's GB  :D

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 14:24:26 »
That looks pretty good too!
I love Elzy

Offline tauburn

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 15:01:20 »
someone needs to open up a webshop that sells keysets that dont look like ****. these all look great but having to start a group buy is too much of a pain

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 19 December 2012, 00:24:26 »
http://www.keycapsdirect.com/customized.php ?
You do need multiple sets ordered, but it's a webshop with some great-looking options.

Offline tauburn

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 19 December 2012, 00:29:10 »
You do need multiple sets ordered, but it's a webshop with some great-looking options.

ugh. why cant this site just sell singles. theyd get so many customers from here. i guess its not cost effective

Offline Chau

• .5 Korean, .25 Vietnamese, .25 Chinese, Oz accent
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 19 December 2012, 00:46:59 »
Feng has something like this but with black font  for $45.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 19 December 2012, 01:32:52 »

ugh. why cant this site just sell singles. theyd get so many customers from here. i guess its not cost effective
I think test keys (one-offs) are something like $45/key?
Signature plastics gets a lot of business from our site, especially considering they sell to a huge amount of keycaps to large companies (like access-IS in the UK)
---
Oh, did you have some soft of keycap-set idea in mind? I reread your post a few times, and it seems like I'm missing something. Perhaps it does exist (and is easy to get) but I'm not seeing any specifics you're after.

If you want fullsets, you can get some excellent PBT Dyesubs from feng or imsto or qtan, etc. There's at least one GB currently on for the thick ones.
Qtan's store: http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/
Feng's ebay: http://stores.ebay.com/Somefeng-Geeky (though I'm told he has better deals if you contact him here through GH)
etc.

Offline tauburn

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 19 December 2012, 12:40:24 »

I think test keys (one-offs) are something like $45/key?
Signature plastics gets a lot of business from our site, especially considering they sell to a huge amount of keycaps to large companies (like access-IS in the UK)
---
Oh, did you have some soft of keycap-set idea in mind? I reread your post a few times, and it seems like I'm missing something. Perhaps it does exist (and is easy to get) but I'm not seeing any specifics you're after.

If you want fullsets, you can get some excellent PBT Dyesubs from feng or imsto or qtan, etc. There's at least one GB currently on for the thick ones.
Qtan's store: http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/
Feng's ebay: http://stores.ebay.com/Somefeng-Geeky (though I'm told he has better deals if you contact him here through GH)
etc.

I basically just want something like the first post in this thread. that or the red alert or ccng set. i just like the dual color font and keys. how much would something like that cost? for just the base and modifier set.