Author Topic: Center stem modding  (Read 1893 times)

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Center stem modding
« on: Sun, 30 December 2012, 14:46:00 »
So, I have a WYSE board that I can't use with anything so I'm trying to at least make use of the keycaps. The caps lock stem is off-center and I've heard it's possible to mod it so the stem is in the center, due to my lack of modding experience I don't want to dive into this so I'm wondering if anyone here knows a good way of centering the stem.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Center stem modding
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 30 December 2012, 19:05:50 »
Not the easiest mod to start with.

You will need to cut the stem off cleanly, or get a donor stem from somewhere else. I would use a donor base, too. I kept various parts from several junk boards for projects like these.

The stem can be adhered with epoxy, and you will do well to make a jig out of wood in order to position it correctly. It would be almost essential that you have a proper example to build the jig around, then remove the original and set the new piece into the same setting.

I would set the naked stem in place, apply the wet epoxy, and carefully set the top exactly where you want it.

Perhaps someone else has a better idea.
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 December 2012, 19:10:35 by fohat.digs »
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline precarious

• LOOK MOM, I'M A DRAGONZORD! DOOOO DODOODODODOODOO
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 30 December 2012, 19:14:28 »
Any suggestions for an ideal epoxy to use for this application?  Or more specifically, for some hot ABS on ABS action?  That's the one thing, aside from a substantial amount of laziness, which is keeping me from doing the same with my Cherry stepped caps locks and space bars.

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 30 December 2012, 19:19:01 »
Any suggestions for an ideal epoxy to use for this application?  Or more specifically, for some hot ABS on ABS action?  That's the one thing, aside from a substantial amount of laziness, which is keeping me from doing the same with my Cherry stepped caps locks and space bars.

This is the link I sent to vun over IRC

http://imgur.com/a/3mWPe

KEYBOARD SCIENCE!!!