Author Topic: Let's make a acrylic casing for the upcoming phantom *PROTOTYPE OUT*  (Read 18317 times)

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
Re: Let's make a alu/wood/aryclic casing for the upcoming phantom
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 11:25:44 »
If you are building a Phantom in hopes of it being cheaper than Filcos, I think you might be slightly ill informed

NO! That would be stupid of me. From 60 for the PCB/Teensy to 80 for the Keycaps (and a calculated 50 for the Cherry MX Green switches), there's no WAY I'll get a Phantom for less than a Filco. I'm hoping for a nice CASE that's cheaper than a full Filco keyboard.
Ah gotcha, that will be a tough goal. The aluminum Vortex cases (although they cannot house Phantoms) went for $148 which is pretty close to Filco's.

EDIT: Nevermind, boost estimates more than Filco
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 January 2013, 11:27:38 by Acetrak »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 11:26:20 »
The Vortex aluminum Filco case costs $150, and that is seen as inexpensive. The MKC case was $350, and while the build quality was better, it was still too expensive for most.

I would estimate $60-80 plus shipping for your switches. You want to buy around 100 switches, so you have a few extra "just in case."

If you just get the PCB, Teensy, diodes, stabilizers, plate, switches, and buy someone's stock Filco (or something) keycaps), you could probably come in around the same as a Filco. Make a cardboard case for it and there you have it. Otherwise, plan to spend serious money on this project. :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 11:27:38 »
That's disappointing...but doesn't completely stop me...I can probably squeeze $200, but not a ton more...It also depends on when it's for sale...
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline inteli722

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 11:32:22 »
The Vortex aluminum Filco case costs $150, and that is seen as inexpensive. The MKC case was $350, and while the build quality was better, it was still too expensive for most.

I would estimate $60-80 plus shipping for your switches. You want to buy around 100 switches, so you have a few extra "just in case."

If you just get the PCB, Teensy, diodes, stabilizers, plate, switches, and buy someone's stock Filco (or something) keycaps), you could probably come in around the same as a Filco. Make a cardboard case for it and there you have it. Otherwise, plan to spend serious money on this project. :D
Yeah. This will be pricey (but totally worth it) I know about both the previous aluminum cases. The extra switches do make sense. Everything but the Plate, switches, stabilizers, and keycaps are in the kit, and I can't really do anything with this until the summer when I have time... :P I would hope the cardboard cases would be extremely temporary because I don't think Cardboard can handle the sheer awesomeness of the Phantom...I'm thinking for me, this project would last a good year, being finished around this same time 2014. And Filco caps won't work. 1.50x mods FTW
More

Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues

Offline reverkiller

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 20:29:34 »
FWIW, I'm currently planning on building my case out of cardboard, coated in something to make it resist the sweat from my sweaty sweaty palms. It will be "free", especially if I can get my mom to pick up some boxes from Costco that weekend :P
Stockpile: Das Keyboard Ultimate (Blues), Ducky YotD (Reds), Model M ('87), Poker (Reds), Siig Minitouch (ALPS) || In Progress: Phantom || Wishlist: Filco Japanese Layout (Browns)

Offline inteli722

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 21:28:27 »
FWIW, I'm currently planning on building my case out of cardboard, coated in something to make it resist the sweat from my sweaty sweaty palms. It will be "free", especially if I can get my mom to pick up some boxes from Costco that weekend :P

Can you release the blueprints so I can use my Phantom before Christmas 2013? It's not going to be used before September 2013, but hopefully I can use it before 2013.
More

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 02:20:17 »
Best quote I got for the top half to be prototyped is $200ish. -_-. If someone know a CNC shop please with decent pricing, please let me know.

$200 for just the top cover... can't wait to pay for the whole case  8) .

And it looks like your plate is basically exactly like the original ANSI150 with a few additional tabs to mount it on the case? You should consider modifying the switches with stabilizers, and realign the bottom half of the holes again.

Offline llovro

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 12:55:58 »
I'm also interested in a case like this. I hope it wont be too expensive ... Dang this phantoms are expensive ...

Offline Leewei

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 12:57:18 »
I am guessing we are waiting on better quotes? I hope this all works out. Cheers!
Filco Majestouch 2 Beige TKL with MX Reds
Qsenn dt-35

Offline inteli722

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 15:28:06 »
I'm also interested in a case like this. I hope it wont be too expensive ... Dang this phantoms are expensive ...
It's confirmed to be more than $150, likely $200-300. Yes, Phantoms are expensive. What, did you expect to make a custom programmable keyboard for cheap?
More

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 15:33:33 »
I got mine for about $100 total including a Graphite Set, Whiskerbox cable, 65g springs, lube and stickers. I'm still looking for a case however.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 15:38:57 »
SmallFry with the trades FTW!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 15:40:25 »
Aye! Did have to shell out for the springs and Graphite Set shipping... ugh.

Offline llovro

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 16:52:27 »
It's confirmed to be more than $150, likely $200-300. Yes, Phantoms are expensive. What, did you expect to make a custom programmable keyboard for cheap?
No, I certainly dont expect such a keyboard to be cheap. I expressed myself wrong. I was more reffering to the case...

Offline inteli722

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 18:34:33 »
No, I certainly dont expect such a keyboard to be cheap. I expressed myself wrong. I was more reffering to the case...
I understood. An aluminum case would be $200-300. Expect the project to be closer to $500 if you want to go the metal case route.

tl;dr: I understood what you meant
More

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
Let's make a alu/wood/aryclic casing for the upcoming phantom
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 18:53:59 »
SmallFry the trade magician

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 19:10:23 »
I don't think it counts if you don't count the value of the trades, SF.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Re: Let's make a alu/wood/aryclic casing for the upcoming phantom
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 19:14:26 »
Well, true... but I liked the goal and the hunt for under $100 out of pocket. I have some case files that I'm going to get made to see if they'll fit, if not, I'll have to modify them.

Offline reverkiller

Re: Re: Let's make a alu/wood/aryclic casing for the upcoming phantom
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 19:41:35 »
Well, true... but I liked the goal and the hunt for under $100 out of pocket. I have some case files that I'm going to get made to see if they'll fit, if not, I'll have to modify them.

I have no idea where to start in designing a case. Any tips for me? I'm not looking for anything fancy, just something I can get cut at my brothers school with their on hand acrylic. I'd like to design it myself, but I don't even know what software to pick up haha.
Stockpile: Das Keyboard Ultimate (Blues), Ducky YotD (Reds), Model M ('87), Poker (Reds), Siig Minitouch (ALPS) || In Progress: Phantom || Wishlist: Filco Japanese Layout (Browns)

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 19:46:00 »
I have no idea where to start in designing a case. Any tips for me? I'm not looking for anything fancy, just something I can get cut at my brothers school with their on hand acrylic. I'd like to design it myself, but I don't even know what software to pick up haha.
Solidworks, Inventor, Catia, ProEngineer, Autocad

Pick one. Autocad is the most common when it comes to more 2D-oriented work.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 08:31:40 »
^^hint - acrylic cases are basically 2D work.  Z axis is controlled by your material choices.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 08:33:27 »
Still trying to figure out if I'm going to have to dremel in what I want indented(cut out into the case, but not a through hole) in the DXF files I got from LifeZone. Ugh, the choices, the choices.

Offline llovro

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 12:04:42 »
Also what about wooden case? How hard would it be to make it? Would it be cheaper than alluminium?

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 12:21:34 »
Also what about wooden case? How hard would it be to make it? Would it be cheaper than alluminium?
Would be super cheap if you pick up some wood and carve it yourself lol

But to do it the proper way with everything flush and sanded and clear finish...it might be cheaper? But I'm not sure if it'll be easy.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 12:23:50 »
Technically to do it right, it gets run on the same sort of CNC machine as metal, it would be less machine time since you can go faster.  The thing is, finding someone that'll do that sort of woodwork and getting a price.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline llovro

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 13:18:52 »
http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/wooden-filco-mj2-tkl-case-maybe-custom-wood-stuff-t2627-90.html
I found this. Too bad the project got canceled. And one case was 140€ which is 182$...
I would definetly get something like this if it was cheaper ...

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #76 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 13:48:37 »
Unfortunately, most of the time custom made things aren't cheap :(

Offline llovro

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 14:36:18 »
Unfortunately, most of the time custom made things aren't cheap :(
Yeah I realised that...

Offline takaki

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 12:35:18 »
oo finally some pictures that are still available of that case.

Any idea what kind of wood is that ?

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 12:48:37 »

hmmmmmmmmm
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline takaki

« Reply #80 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 06:40:26 »

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 06:59:29 »
oo finally some pictures that are still available of that case.

Any idea what kind of wood is that ?

it's oak.  I own that prototype :D

Offline nebo

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 13:04:30 »
I really don't see the fascination with wood cases. Might just be me but I like my electronics cold, sharp, and hard. Much like a woman's love.

Offline inteli722

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 15:13:49 »
I really don't see the fascination with wood cases. Might just be me but I like my electronics cold, sharp, and hard. Much like a woman's love.
They're unique. The only Wood mechanical keyboards I've seen consist of one Korean Mechanical keyboard on eBay, whereas I've seen plenty of Korean keyboards with aluminum cases. It's a matter of preference and if you want something REALLY unique. Also, the wood cases are maybe a hair easier because someone fairly prominent on these forums makes custom palmrests out of wood.
More

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 22:18:05 »
hmmmmmmmmm

Any conclusions ? :D

I was going to try over my winter break to make a wood poker case, but I've been pretty busy with other stuff. Plus, it would be pretty hard to make them one by one without a ton of templates or a CNC machine

They're unique. The only Wood mechanical keyboards I've seen consist of one Korean Mechanical keyboard on eBay, whereas I've seen plenty of Korean keyboards with aluminum cases. It's a matter of preference and if you want something REALLY unique. Also, the wood cases are maybe a hair easier because someone fairly prominent on these forums makes custom palmrests out of wood.

Who dat?
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline inteli722

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 20:30:45 »

Who dat?

;)
More

Offline takaki

Re: Let's make a acrylic casing for the upcoming phantom *PROTOTYPE OUT*
« Reply #86 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 23:35:36 »
CPR with pictures.

Offline nebo

« Reply #87 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 23:53:34 »
This is actually happening?! If so then I need to go back to winkeyless if possible!
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 May 2013, 00:08:01 by nebo »

Offline Sai

« Reply #88 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 23:54:42 »
wo. the prototype looks nice. is it possible to have different colors combination like litster's case?
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline takaki

« Reply #89 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 00:26:05 »
This is actually going to happen. Yes definitely can look into it.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 00:39:19 »
I'm getting alzheimer. This thread has been out for a while, I even commented on it, yet I don't recall any of this :/

So the complete case is $50?

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 00:40:50 »
I'm getting alzheimer. This thread has been out for a while, I even commented on it, yet I don't recall any of this :/

To be fair, there weren't any posts for over 100 days  :p

Offline takaki

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 00:52:54 »

It is just a ball park figure without shipping, waiting for your plate patiently bro.. cannot finalise yet without the plate.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 00:57:25 »
Wait what plate lol. Picture shows Phantom ANSI125? I can send this one out right now, but other designs I'm waiting on Beast.

edit: spreadsheet says you ordered the ANS125 and ANS150, which I have right now. I'll send these out to you to get the ball rollin for this thread, but you gave 2 different addresses. I'll PM you about this.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 May 2013, 01:05:47 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline Rendom

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 01:08:57 »
I would really love to have this happen. I will buy at least 1-2 : )
QFR - MX Blue

Offline takaki

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 02:47:08 »
Settled the plates issue with WFD, now waiting for the plate to get finalize the final set.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 03:01:11 »
What if we got the PRF plate? It has extra keys on the function row.
SmallFry! <3

Offline takaki

« Reply #97 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 03:06:53 »
A variant for the whole function row to be cut into a single long hole is possible as well.
Meaning to say the opening for the esc key to stretch all the way to F12 or the pause key?

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #98 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 03:24:03 »
Something like that. .. I am on my phone right now, cant really check...
SmallFry! <3

Offline takaki

« Reply #99 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 05:49:36 »
No worries, I'll check it out and confirm for you.