Author Topic: Razer Orbweaver (Mechanical Gaming Keypad)  (Read 130633 times)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Razer Orbweaver (Mechanical Gaming Keypad)
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 14:10:59 »
Have you seen this thing? It's not mechanical, but I think it might be a better choice than this thing.

Eww! Rubber dome.

It might be better if you have really large hands because I'm pretty sure the Logitech G13 is bigger and wider than the Nostromo or Orbweaver. I'd still prefer the Nostromo over that though since I think its shaped better ergonomically and I have small hands.

And it is TONS easier to hit specific directions on the dpad on the Nostromo.  I have had both.  Thinking of modding my Nostromo to Cherry switches and selling my Orbweaver that is already modded to clears with reds on the WASD and blue LED's.

I dont have any problems with direction on my orbweaver I though I would have more with a nostromo.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #151 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 14:39:51 »
I love the orbweaver hatswitch :)
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #152 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 10:39:26 »
So, I just got an Orbweaver, but so far it hasn't really impressed me. I've still got about 40 days to decide if I want to return it, but so far I'm not too keen on keeping it. If I do keep it, I'll most likely mod it, at least get rid of the noisy blues.

Anyone here got any suggestions for "unlocking its true potential"? So far I've only played TF2 with it, not terribly impressed. Dunno how I should set it up to get the most out of it in a game, so setup suggestions for various games are very welcome.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #153 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 14:17:05 »
So, I just got an Orbweaver, but so far it hasn't really impressed me. I've still got about 40 days to decide if I want to return it, but so far I'm not too keen on keeping it. If I do keep it, I'll most likely mod it, at least get rid of the noisy blues.

Anyone here got any suggestions for "unlocking its true potential"? So far I've only played TF2 with it, not terribly impressed. Dunno how I should set it up to get the most out of it in a game, so setup suggestions for various games are very welcome.

The best thing the device will give you as "true potential" is your money back.
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #154 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 15:39:18 »

The best thing the device will give you as "true potential" is your money back.

That's what I figure as well, but seeing as several people here on GH are liking theirs, I figured I should get the opinion of someone who at least know what they're talking about before returning it.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #155 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 15:51:58 »
well take full advantage of what you can do with the custom layout... if you make it to be the same as your keyboard you are better off using a keyboard unless you want something a little more ergo.

My orbweaver has all kinds of macros set up for different games to make reloads/weapon switches/multi-button combos occur flawlessly every time.

If you don't like a fully programmable left handed number pad with thumb switches I guess you aren't looking for an orbweaver :-/

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #156 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 15:58:53 »
well take full advantage of what you can do with the custom layout... if you make it to be the same as your keyboard you are better off using a keyboard unless you want something a little more ergo.

My orbweaver has all kinds of macros set up for different games to make reloads/weapon switches/multi-button combos occur flawlessly every time.

If you don't like a fully programmable left handed number pad with thumb switches I guess you aren't looking for an orbweaver :-/

I suppose it's the same issue I have with anything programmable; I don't know what to do with it. For most games I just tend to use the default keybinds for the most part since that works just fine. I can't really think of a way to take advantage of the programmable keys, so if you, or anyone else, could give me some examples of macros and stuff you use to give me some ideas I'd appreciate it. I know what I'd do with it if I still played GW2, but I've sorta quit that for now.

Although I just remembered one thing it'll be good for; shortcuts in programs like Photoshop. Unlike a TKL board, the Orbweaver will actually fit next to my tablet, so if that works out for me then that alone might be reason enough.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #157 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 18:30:43 »
I took an orbweaver and tied the hat switch to various aspects of the keyboard effectively making a 1H keyboard.  My WPM suffered terribly but it worked... brilliant device if only for the fact that you can make it whatever kind of small input device you want.

up was punctuation/symbols
down was number
left was left side of KB
right was right side of KB

Tried to keep ctrl, shift and other essentials in each layer.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #158 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 18:34:24 »
All I have done with mine on the software side was moved a couple keys around so I didn't have to move key binds in game.  But I have only one macro and that is for my WoW password.  Its pretty long.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #159 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 22:00:29 »

It takes a little getting used to at first. I basically set up my binds to what I feel is most comfortable within my fingers' reach and have them bound in a way that I'm able to react more quickly than I would if I was having to reach on a keyboard. I feel that the thumbpad movement reacts faster than WASD'ing on a keyboard also.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #160 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 11:17:52 »
Problem with the Orbweaver is that it is the first of its kind. No one ever made any other mechanical gaming keypad and Razer are making it waaay too expensive for what it is.

I mean you can get a good quality mecho. for about 100$, why would have of it in a weird shape be 140$? It has less mechanical switches therefore i can't understand how comes you pay about 150% of the price for about 20% of a full board.

Something is going to happen in this field sooner or later since there's a market for keypads and razer is the only serious concurrent in it. Therefore no choices for customers means they can set the price as high as they want. I wish Logitech would step back or even Steelseries steps in. Build Quality is way better for both.

Here's what would be ok :
- 70$-80$ prod cost means about 120$ shipped for the buyer
- Full mechanical with switch choice (Or changeable)
- Has same layout has orb weaver, which means 4x5 keys on top
- Thumb button (not incredibly useless and non-accurate 8 axis joypad) maybe like the Naga Hex (at least 4)
- Space button (maybe even multiple)
- Palm Rest, Movable like the Nostromo. Rubber with Logo engraved for ultimate comfyness.
- Killer design like a Filco or SteelSeries or Leopold keyboard (Serious design made for adults and gods of gaming like Gaben or like any PC Master Race users like us ultimate warriors of the internet)
- USB interface with not completly ****ty software like Synapse which can't sync your **** properly and therefore it syncs empty layout destroying your local layout since it's uber ****.
- No Gimmicky backlight
- No Cheap-Made rubber dome (Doesn't apply for Orbweaver but applies for all other keypads)
- No Overprice like crazy
- No Razer logo
- Not made in China cheap ****
- No ORDER NOW FOR ULTIMATE RAZOR $W@G (Only valid for orders at least 400$ without taxes)

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #161 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 11:35:53 »
Problem with the Orbweaver is that it is the first of its kind. No one ever made any other mechanical gaming keypad and Razer are making it waaay too expensive for what it is.

I mean you can get a good quality mecho. for about 100$, why would have of it in a weird shape be 140$? It has less mechanical switches therefore i can't understand how comes you pay about 150% of the price for about 20% of a full board.

Something is going to happen in this field sooner or later since there's a market for keypads and razer is the only serious concurrent in it. Therefore no choices for customers means they can set the price as high as they want. I wish Logitech would step back or even Steelseries steps in. Build Quality is way better for both.

Here's what would be ok :
- 70$-80$ prod cost means about 120$ shipped for the buyer
- Full mechanical with switch choice (Or changeable)
- Has same layout has orb weaver, which means 4x5 keys on top
- Thumb button (not incredibly useless and non-accurate 8 axis joypad) maybe like the Naga Hex (at least 4)
- Space button (maybe even multiple)
- Palm Rest, Movable like the Nostromo. Rubber with Logo engraved for ultimate comfyness.
- Killer design like a Filco or SteelSeries or Leopold keyboard (Serious design made for adults and gods of gaming like Gaben or like any PC Master Race users like us ultimate warriors of the internet)
- USB interface with not completly ****ty software like Synapse which can't sync your **** properly and therefore it syncs empty layout destroying your local layout since it's uber ****.
- No Gimmicky backlight
- No Cheap-Made rubber dome (Doesn't apply for Orbweaver but applies for all other keypads)
- No Overprice like crazy
- No Razer logo
- Not made in China cheap ****
- No ORDER NOW FOR ULTIMATE RAZOR $W@G (Only valid for orders at least 400$ without taxes)

First they actually have just released a rubber dome version of the orbweaver, and not the Nostromo.  They actually released a rubber dome orbweaver.  I believe they are calling it the Silent or Stealth or something gimmiky like that.  There is the Logitech version as well.

What is the difference between the back lighting on the Orbweaver and a Ducky Shine X?

The orbweaver has an adjustable palm rest, both the angle and the distance from the key matrix, and the thumb "pod" has an adjustable distance.  The switches are PCP mount so all you have to do to change the switches is de-solder the LED's, cut the holes in the top half of the switch out and boom you can change stems and springs to your hearts content.  What is the difference between this and a filco?

With the Synapse software I actually have never had any issues with it, between my Orbweaver and my Naga Epic.  Aside from the Nostromo not showing up in Synapse which has been fixed since I got my Orbweaver and I have tested it with my Nostromo that I still own. 

So really by your standards the closest you are going to get with these terms would be to use the left side on an Ergo Dox.  Ohh crap those are more than $80. 
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #162 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 11:53:10 »
Quardah, I demand a picture of your orbweaver for proof that you've had any of these problems, or have a concept of what the product actually does.

Your wall of text looks to be very contrived.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #163 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 11:57:58 »
Quardah, I demand a picture of your orbweaver for proof that you've had any of these problems, or have a concept of what the product actually does.

This.

Plus the Orbweaver is hardly the first of its kind.  There was the N52 from belkin then they made the N52te, Razer then had the nostromo and now there are 3 iterations of the Orbweaver.  Available with blues, browns i think and RD switches.  Plus countless full sized keyboards with "game pads" built into the left side instead of a num pad on the right.  In fact I used to have one of those and my wife still uses hers.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #164 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 12:33:53 »

This.

Plus the Orbweaver is hardly the first of its kind.  There was the N52 from belkin then they made the N52te, Razer then had the nostromo and now there are 3 iterations of the Orbweaver.  Available with blues, browns i think and RD switches.  Plus countless full sized keyboards with "game pads" built into the left side instead of a num pad on the right.  In fact I used to have one of those and my wife still uses hers.

He's saying it's the first to be mechanical, and he's right.

Binge - wall of text? It's a few sentences plus a list  :))

Also he mostly complains about price and other small details but no real physical "problems" and he's right about the price. It's clearly overpriced.
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #165 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 14:07:39 »

I didn't own the Orbweaver myself but i owned a Nostromo. It's a pretty clean device altought it's rubber dome and the Dpad is complete sh1t. I didn't own the Orbweaver but i gave it a go already, and i'd say even if it's cool, it's an horrible device Aesthetic side and it's damn overprice. It's about Twice the price of a Nostromo for 3 major differences; mechanical switches, green backlight instead of blue, and an additional top row...

Also i stopped using the Nostromo once Synapse start overwriting my profils with the "backup sync" it has. It was overwriting with blanks. First time it happened i didn't really cared because it forced me to change my layout, but second time i was not forgiving.

I'm simply pointing out the flaws. Razer products are not bad themselves and are decent to used, but if any other company could step in, we would actually have some choices and there would be competition between them, lowering the price and forcing both company to make their best.

This.

He's saying it's the first to be mechanical, and he's right.

Binge - wall of text? It's a few sentences plus a list  :))

Also he mostly complains about price and other small details but no real physical "problems" and he's right about the price. It's clearly overpriced.

This guy understood me.

I'm sorry for the others i didn't mean to confuse you. English isn't my first language therefore sometimes i forget clarifications. I really meant it's the first mechanical one, and since here on GeekHack we despise non-mechanical boards (sh1t) it's obvious we are not considering nor the Nostromo or the Stealth to be worthy of our attention.

Also you can't say a keypad is worth this much. My Nostromo costed 70$ and i believe for the same price if they could simply make it mechanical and with another row, it would be worthy of our respect as gamers.

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #166 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 14:48:09 »
Just to clarify, the Orbweaver Stealth uses MX Browns afaik rather than RDs.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #167 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 14:59:00 »
My orbweavers cost $70/ea.  The retail price is also about or less than 1/2 of a whole ergonomic keyboard with less function.  Overpriced is not the word...

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #168 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 15:05:10 »
My orbweavers cost $70/ea.  The retail price is also about or less than 1/2 of a whole ergonomic keyboard with less function.  Overpriced is not the word...
How does the ergodox have less function?
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #169 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 15:30:20 »
How does the ergodox have less function?

does the ergodox have the ability to macro mouse actions?

Still not the point here Thim.  Most ergonomic keyboards aren't as robust and cost at least double the orbweaver.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #170 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 15:34:54 »
I'd argue with that, but that would make me kind of dumb...
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Tivor

• I'm a noob at this.
« Reply #171 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 23:20:57 »
The real question I have about Orbweaver is, does its thumb controller work well enough and comfortable enough to assign WASD to it full-time, especially for FPS playing?  I know it is more geared towards MMO playing, what with its tons of macro potential, but I figure if its thumb stick can handle FPS control demands, it can handle MMO control demands with flying colors.  That's the only reason I would cough up that kind of dough to buy it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 August 2013, 23:31:18 by Tivor »

Offline missalaire

« Reply #172 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 23:29:01 »
The real question I have about Orbweaver is, does its thumb controller work well enough and comfortable enough to assign WASD to it full-time?  That's the only reason I would cough up that kind of dough to buy it.

Yes.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline Tivor

• I'm a noob at this.
« Reply #173 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 23:32:46 »
The real question I have about Orbweaver is, does its thumb controller work well enough and comfortable enough to assign WASD to it full-time?  That's the only reason I would cough up that kind of dough to buy it.

Yes.

Awesome.  Interest+1   :)

Offline xandr

« Reply #174 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 01:51:44 »
I actually decided to bite the monetary bullet and order an Orbweaver to replace my G13 and it arrived yesterday.

After what took like forever including 2 reboots of my Win7 VM I was able to turn off the backlighting using Synapse, only to find that the lights go back on once I quit Synapse. Simply "unplugging" the Orbweaver from the VM while the lights are turned off in Synapse seemed to save the state in the hardware - yay!

After reading a few reviews stating that Synapse crashes a lot on Mac OS I didn't even bother with installing Synapse and used my registered copy of ControllerMate for setting up the Orbweaver.

Having played with it for a day I actually like it better than the G13. The hat switch takes a bit of getting used to but it's definitely faster than using the stick on the G13 if you map WASD (or whatever keys you use for movement) to it.

While I do agree that it's way overpriced I'm certainly going to keep it.
Sprit 60% w/MX Clear in DuckMini V2 case | Matias Quiet Pro (office)

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #175 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 16:58:03 »
Got the Orbweaver today and converted it to MX-Reds :3

Offline ItsBc

• BARACOOT
    • Portfolio
« Reply #176 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 17:45:14 »
I would like something like this, but it doesn't have enough keys for myself. maybe if it had a function row.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #177 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 18:02:57 »
I would like something like this, but it doesn't have enough keys for myself. maybe if it had a function row.

Half an ergo dox?

Offline missalaire

« Reply #178 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 20:46:09 »

Lol? what are you doing that requires that many keys? and you do realize you can make modifiers so you can have more binds, right?

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #179 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 21:17:20 »
Most fps games have more key requirements then the orb weaver has.
If you playing mmo's, rpg, or rts sure it is a great design because you can use it to bot simple actions. I had my entire ret pally rotation in wotlk bound to one key with the g13. :)

Fps can not be played accurately with a orbweaver type device, if it could then all the pros would use them.

If your using the dpad for walking on fps games on pc then maybe a console is more your speed....

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #180 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 21:18:44 »

Lol? what are you doing that requires that many keys? and you do realize you can make modifiers so you can have more binds, right?

Layers and binds cost time in fps games that will get you and your entire team killed.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #181 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 01:28:49 »

Layers and binds cost time in fps games that will get you and your entire team killed.

The orbweaver does have enough keys for most FPS games though, at least the ones where you actually need time and precision.  If you're playing something like CS then the only thing you might want on another layer is buy macros. After I got mine I have been using it with great success in CS games and TF2, so I'd be interested to know what kind of precision fps games you play that requires more keys than the orbweaver has.

Offline missalaire

« Reply #182 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 01:30:45 »

The orbweaver does have enough keys for most FPS games though, at least the ones where you actually need time and precision.  If you're playing something like CS then the only thing you might want on another layer is buy macros. After I got mine I have been using it with great success in CS games and TF2, so I'd be interested to know what kind of precision fps games you play that requires more keys than the orbweaver has.

Finally got used to the Orbweaver, I see :P

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #183 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 01:35:59 »

Finally got used to the Orbweaver, I see :P

Yeah, I still hold that for the full price it isn't really worth it, but if you're going to indulge it's not bad, and it's especially nice after I got my eDox, since I don't really find that all too good for gaming.
Although the orbweaver is probably worth it for gaming if you have a really odd ergo board, eDox is still useable enough for gaming.

So I was disappointed at first because I was expecting it to be more different, but after a while I found that it was annoying to go back to using a normal keyboard for gaming.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #184 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 02:12:39 »

Pressing 2 keys at once doesn't take longer than pressing a single key alone tho...
Problem is burning it into your muscle memory and doing it as reflex, can take very long.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #185 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 03:06:52 »
wall of text - not trying to piss off the orbweaver users. this is just my opinion on a possible layout.  :))

I play cs also.
After looking further at this you can do it. It is just really not optimal.

The orbweaver has a 5 x 4 layout. plus the thumb button for jump. or use your mouse wheel to jump.

lets say this is your layout ....

rifle(1),          pistol(2),          knife(3),       nademenu(4),       bomb(5)
scoreboard(Tab),    quickswitch(q),    forward(w),    use(e),       reload(r)
Walk(shift),       strleft(a),       back(s),       strright(d),    drop(g)
Duck(CTRL),       stdradio(z),       groupradio(x), reportradio(c),    buy(b)

This leaves you with no dedicated buttons for flash, nade, smoke, moltov(cs:go), decoy(cs:go), say, team say, team switch, voice comm, esc/tilde

flash, nade, smoke:
This is the part that bugs me when I watch other people play and it really divides the community.
switching directly to a nade of a specific type can really mean a lot.
A lot of players rebind 6-9 to be 4,T,G,V or something similar.
If you can get to the specific nade you actually need you will not get caught as much with a nade in your hand because you took to long to find the one you actually need.

say,teamsay.... doesn't matter you can't really type in this layout.

teamswitch: you might as well also use your other keyboard.

Voice Comm: how do you talk to your team?

buying: you can not fully buy with the keyboard because you only have 1-5 bound. I guess you could buy with your mouse :|

stdradio, groupradio, reportradio:  You could choose to not use them, but they are very powerful if used correctly.

Esc/Tilde: How do you cancel the buy menu without esc?

please tell me you use fast weapon switching?

Pressing 2 keys at once doesn't take longer than pressing a single key alone tho...
Problem is burning it into your muscle memory and doing it as reflex, can take very long.

Sure, if implemented in a way that won't work against you mid fight like moving out of the wasd position.

edit: all edits were grammar/typos. I am sure I missed some. :D
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 September 2013, 03:11:20 by domoaligato »

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #186 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 04:17:04 »
If you play on pub communication will do little, if you're actually serious you should use voice comm, preferably something external. With the orbweaver you can have 2 or 3 layers, all with WASD in the same place, and just different surrounding binds, that are toggled by the hat switch or the switch above, so you can access different commands on the fly without giving up movement. Buying is a bit awkward, yes, but generally the freeze time is enough to use the mouse to buy the few things that cannot be reached with the orbweaver keybinds, and you can use macros for the more common items. For CSGO I have one key that buys nades, one for each kevlar, one for auto buy and one for rebuy so far, haven't set up any more, but that is easily more convenient than buying normally.

Also, not really relevant to the orbweaver, but what I do with the different types of nades is I think ahead and make sure I have the appropriate nade ready on q, although this doesn't really help if you get surprised and need another nade, but I only muck about on pub anyways so it doesn't matter.

Basically, you can have two layers which both have WASD, space and control in the same place, but where the rest of the binds are different, which you access with the uppermost thumb key(layer active while key is pressed) and a layer for esc, tilde and other keys that generally don't need to be accessed as quick.

So yes, the orbweaver will work with CS for most people and can be configured to suit pretty much any setup(possibly even better once you get used to it). You might prefer a regular keyboard for your specific setup, but if you give it a shot I do think you will find that it is also possible with the orbweaver.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #187 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 06:22:29 »
Btw, hole/srew location/number on my Orbweaver was different than in the picture posted here...
Also, you don't have to stab holes in the rubber-feet, you can get em off and put em back on when done!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #188 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 20:59:55 »
I can't figure out how to open this without destroying it so maybe someone else here can help me.

I have the yellow section free and the red part is still attached together:

A look underneath the two rubber pads reveals a molding mark and this:

How do I access that screw? It's the last screw I think that is holding the device together.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #189 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 12:36:10 »
Did you get it open? I've gotta get around to modding mine soon, and knowing how to get it open would help :/

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #190 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 13:10:19 »
I can't figure out how to open this without destroying it so maybe someone else here can help me.

I have the yellow section free and the red part is still attached together:

Show Image

A look underneath the two rubber pads reveals a molding mark and this:

Show Image

How do I access that screw? It's the last screw I think that is holding the device together.

This section can be simply popped off!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #191 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 13:11:23 »
Did you get it open? I've gotta get around to modding mine soon, and knowing how to get it open would help :/

Not yet

This section as in that cover over the screw will come off it I pry it off?

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #192 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 16:00:41 »

Not yet

This section as in that cover over the screw will come off it I pry it off?

Yep, by bare hands, tried it to verify just a minute ago...
Best try to grip in the gap where the rail of the thumbstick thing connects ;)

Offline CYBER-NINJA

• The Grim Reaper is my Alter-Ego!!!
« Reply #193 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 14:05:37 »
Hi All -

I am thinking about getting an Orb and I was just wondering how easy it is to adapt one's gaming from a WSAD play-style to a thumb pad controlling the avatar's movement? I only play Call of Duty so does anyone else use the Orb for playing CoD? I know the learning curve is subjective and based on personal experience and/or skill level. So I was just wondering how quick and easy people have found the transition from either a keyboard or WSAD game pad to the Orb?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!!!
:thumb:
:cool: Seduced by the Dark Side!!! :cool:

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #194 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 13:58:59 »
Hi All -

I am thinking about getting an Orb and I was just wondering how easy it is to adapt one's gaming from a WSAD play-style to a thumb pad controlling the avatar's movement? I only play Call of Duty so does anyone else use the Orb for playing CoD? I know the learning curve is subjective and based on personal experience and/or skill level. So I was just wondering how quick and easy people have found the transition from either a keyboard or WSAD game pad to the Orb?

Hey mate,

I kinda did the same but it was with a Nostromo. Don't worry, it's fairly easy to use if you are using basic layout, about a week and you're good. Once you mastered the basic stuff now you can optimise yourself by binding different actions to different location, therefore it's only hard to learn if you give yourself a go and customize it properly for yourself.

The thing is, once you drop the keypad by choice or when it breaks, you'll have a crazy hard time coming back to keyboards basic layout. The backward transition is harder than expected, really.

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline missalaire

« Reply #195 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 14:25:51 »
Hi All -

It takes a little while to get used to, I'd say definitely at least a good week depending how much you play and you have to make yourself use the gaming keypad all the time for w/e games you play even if it feels odd/weird and you aren't doing as well as you normally do. Once you get used to it though, playing using a gaming keypad is so much better imo.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #196 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 14:28:06 »
Yup, I had a pretty steep learning curve since I never used a gamepad. I only used a keyboard and controller before getting my Orbweaver. Once I got the muscle memory down though, I couldn't use anything else.

Offline CYBER-NINJA

• The Grim Reaper is my Alter-Ego!!!
« Reply #197 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 06:03:53 »
Thanks for the feedback everybody!!!  :thumb:
:cool: Seduced by the Dark Side!!! :cool:

Offline wasabah

« Reply #198 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 07:05:26 »
Would it be possible to map the keys for a typing layout and use it as a one-handed keyboard in Windows?
ErgoDox Classic | Logitech G400 | Logitech Marble | Logitech M570 | Logitech M235 | Logitech M305

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #199 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 07:17:40 »
Would it be possible to map the keys for a typing layout and use it as a one-handed keyboard in Windows?

Yeah, you can have 8 layers and you could use the thumb keys to switch between layers, either by toggling or using them as press-and-hold. If you have another Synapse 2.0 compatible Razer product you can bind keys on that to switch to layers on the Orbweaver as well.