Author Topic: KEYBOARD GORE  (Read 8331 times)

Offline RougeR

KEYBOARD GORE
« on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 05:25:18 »
I shall start, thanks badly packaged m15 from ebay seller.

so yeah any keyboard gore post it, water damage, incinerated, crushed, broken on arrival, thermite, aliens, mauled by animals, shot, blow up, dropped, bamboozled, keyboard science gone wrong, gaming rage quits, murder weapon or just plain old ****ed up....you name it. If its any of the above or worse.
POST IT.
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline RougeR

Re: KEYBOARDS GORE
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 05:25:57 »
reserved
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
Re: KEYBOARDS GORE
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 05:27:48 »
I shall post teh legendary rust bucket.
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline RougeR

Re: KEYBOARD GORE
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 05:29:00 »

IMPRESSIVE
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline BigBrother

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 05:30:02 »
Show Image

I'm calling keyboard services. That ain't right.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 05:37:18 »
My Dell AT101W came incorrectly packaged, so that stem on the Windows key was broken. Two other switches didn't work without any obvious damage, even though the seller claimed the keyboard had been fully functional.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 07:40:31 »
I received a Ducky 1087XM in the original box inside a large padded envelope with no extra padding.

All told the damage included every single standoff holding the PCB to the case bottom.  The face frame was cracked near the Esc key, and I had to remove the Esc switch and straighten the plate there.

11404-0

11406-1

No pics of the inside since I never got around to that, but all the dust is from the padding inside the envelope since the envelope tore.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline linkz

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 10:22:44 »
Show Image

so yeah any keyboard gore post it, water damage, incinerated, crushed, broken on arrival, thermite, aliens, mauled by animals, shot, blow up, dropped, bamboozled, keyboard science gone wrong, gaming rage quits, murder weapon or just plain old ****ed up....you name it. If its any of the above or worse.
POST IT.
Isn't this the $1200 keyboard!  :eek:
That's the epitome of keyboard gore.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 10:26:47 »
Show Image

POST IT.
Holy... wow.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 10:39:17 »
Ouch. Sorry to see/hear about that m15. How goes the dealing with the seller? I hope you get your money back.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline RougeR

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 14:22:59 »
this wouldnt be too too bad normally, but the fact is im unlikely to ever find one so cheap again.
and yeah its useable still but its lost A LOT of value, and some function.

just got the keyboard, wasnt very well packaged just one sheet of bubble wrap and folded in half which is going to lead to it clunking about against the other half. got it home and sure enough
http://i.imgur.com/IHhPX.jpg

piece of the ball joint is broken off and the joint is cracked all the way through. will no longer connect together and has lost most of its value to me as a collector and to other collectors as well as its intended function

from here i feel we should proceed one of two ways.

a) you could give me a full refund including shipping both ways

b) i could keep the keyboard and you would only refund cost of the keyboard not the postage. (it has lost a lot of functionality and wont be worth much anyway)

regards

email to ebay seller^
-copied from DT post
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 18:04:43 »
I received a Ducky 1087XM in the original box inside a large padded envelope with no extra padding.

All told the damage included every single standoff holding the PCB to the case bottom.  The face frame was cracked near the Esc key, and I had to remove the Esc switch and straighten the plate there.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

No pics of the inside since I never got around to that, but all the dust is from the padding inside the envelope since the envelope tore.

Unfortunately, that doesn't look too far off from the normal quality of the board (it's a really low quality board).

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 18:10:56 »
does Unicomp still have the equipment to make those cases? Maybe you could contact them for a repair part?
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 18:11:23 »
Still... a cracked frame?

Offline BigBrother

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 20:12:31 »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 20:47:46 »
That is just plain cool!

My kids will want to try this, they know that I have a pile of junk keyboards.

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline RougeR

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 23:06:12 »
very cool could even go for a moooooooocrosoft ergonomic keyboard
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline RougeR

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 23:08:47 »
does Unicomp still have the equipment to make those cases? Maybe you could contact them for a repair part?

smallfry is right, the actual frame is cracked.
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 23:14:06 »
I shall hold a personal moment of silence for that M15

So it was bad packing or did it come like that?
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline RougeR

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 23:43:58 »
Bad packag8ing one layer of buble wrap and folded in two, and there wasnt much between the two parts...couple this with a loose box and it being a weak point = recipe for disaster
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline razorsharpgears

• TheOriginalBecker
    • Becker's 市場 рынок Markt - Sell/Buy/Trade
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 23:55:00 »
Show Image

Wow, that's a great project  :))
Here at GeekClack, time isn't worth anything because CCs are money.
"You cannot plan the future. Only presumptuous fools plan. The wise man steers."
— Cosmo Lavish
|WTB/T/S| Thread ←Link

Offline BigBrother

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 01:40:11 »
people are all "cool/neat project". I keep thinking "They ****ed up his keyboard... with nature."

Offline RougeR

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 03:53:11 »

some more pictures, it really is a joy to type on especially split like this, these pictures show the full extent of the damage
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 03:56:57 »
Ouch!  Those can be expensive - hopefully you can salvage something reasonable out of the parts :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Lanx

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 05:03:05 »
gorilla glue is surprisingly very strong for plastics, my lever broke on my ergo chair, it uses a lot of force, i gorilla glue'd it waited a day, sat in it and was prepared for the level to break off when i used it, it worked. It continued to work for a year, and then it snapped off again at the broken spot, put another drop of gorilla glue and it works again.

Offline BigBrother

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 07:07:22 »
gorilla glue is surprisingly very strong for plastics, my lever broke on my ergo chair, it uses a lot of force, i gorilla glue'd it waited a day, sat in it and was prepared for the level to break off when i used it, it worked. It continued to work for a year, and then it snapped off again at the broken spot, put another drop of gorilla glue and it works again.
Similar story here. Dropped my coffee pitcher on the floor and broke the lever. Used gorilla glue and it's fine now. The thing doesn't open completely because Gorilla glue puffs a bit- works fine though.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 08:45:13 »
They non-expanding Gorilla Glue for those of you that don't like the expansion, granted I have no clue how different it is from epoxy at that point.

Offline tufty

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 10:46:40 »
If it's made from ABS, it can be welded using acetone, or you can make gap-filling acetone / abs chip slurry (about 60/40 acetone to abs).  Acetone-welded ABS is as strong as the original, gap-fill slurry is slightly weaker.  If you go for the latter, you'll obviously want chips of ABS that are the same colour as the victim board. 

Given that we're talking about a $1200 keyboard, you'll "probably" want to practice on something cheaper and more disposable first.

Acetone chips can be made by running (for example) bits of printer through a planer.

(edit) "ABS chips can be made", obviously, not acetone.  You could probably use custom ABS keycaps, too.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 January 2013, 00:24:40 by tufty »

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 14:03:06 »
Acetone chips can be made by running (for example) bits of printer through a planer.

I lol'd at this for a good minute.  It made my day.
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 21:41:01 »
I have an NEC APC-H4100E that someone was using as a footrest under his desk.  He managed to kick the left arrow key off.  When I tried to remove the keycap from the switch, the whole switch fell apart.  It's a custom NEC switch, AFAIK, so I have just had to leave it with an empty hole in the keyboard.

Pics l8r if I can be bothered to dig the keyboard out ;)

Edit: pic.  You can see the pins still stuck in the PCB holes.

« Last Edit: Thu, 10 January 2013, 22:00:22 by rowdy »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tufty

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 01:51:47 »

I lol'd at this for a good minute.  It made my day.
Think "that scene from Fargo". That's me, that is.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 12:54:15 »
I opened up a capsule of that liquid Mio in the squirt-bottle, and tipped it over my cup, at which point (I suppose there was pressure built up) it squirted sideways all over my FK-2001. I managed to clean it up, but i've got a light pink stain all over my numpad now lol.

Might take it apart and look at cleaning the case a bit better.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 13:58:12 »
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 January 2013, 14:34:03 by baldgye »

Offline Coumbaya

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 06:51:46 »
I'm not sure it can be called gore but it's not worth creating a new thread...
I just noticed this typo on the led-sticker of my keyboard. The key is correct tho.
Filco MJ2, Browns, Skull Squadron Ducky Shine III, Browns, Granite Unknown, White Alps & trackpad 1390132 & 1391402 Model M

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 11:47:36 »
It's right next to the Inserret key

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
  • Cable maker and future engineer
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 12:42:35 »

Staples, hair, pencil lead, dust. Yum!
HHKB Pro 2   SmallFry Keyboard

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 14:29:24 »
Gloves!  Mask!  ...or just throw it out.   (Just kidding ;))
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 16:00:02 »
Scorll lock might do something more useful?
I once got a POS keyboard that must have lived in a beauty salon or something. Hair, hair, hair, hair, more hair... it was super gross.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 16:02:43 »
Atari 400 keyboard. I would classify this atrocity as gore. The colors aren't bad, but if you've typed on one, may Cthulhu have mercy on your soul.
26445-0

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 16:51:13 »
Trop drôle - Est-ce un clavier AZERTY Francais?

I just noticed this typo on the led-sticker of my keyboard. The key is correct tho.
Show Image

In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline Coumbaya

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 04:21:48 »
It's right next to the Inserret key
I lol'd :))

Trop drôle - Est-ce un clavier AZERTY Francais?

Show Image

QWERTY en iso a vrai dire, c'est le clavier d'un pc transportable DPS-9000, donc c'est du "sur mesure" (le clavier sert de protection à l'écran LCD une fois attaché à la tour).
Étrange que cette typo soit passée.
Filco MJ2, Browns, Skull Squadron Ducky Shine III, Browns, Granite Unknown, White Alps & trackpad 1390132 & 1391402 Model M

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 00:39:57 »
Show Image

Staples, hair, pencil lead, dust. Yum!

Access-IS?
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0