Author Topic: HHKB Pro owners  (Read 18147 times)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« on: Fri, 07 December 2007, 01:13:25 »
What do you like / dislike about the HHKB Pro *aside from price / availability*?

Would you / did you buy a second unit for a backup?

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 07 December 2007, 07:18:30 »
I dislike that the the HHKB Pro does not have a USB hub nor pass-through port on it.  I'd consider buying a Pro 2 for this reason alone.  

I've got enough DIFFERENT keyboards that I like that I can't seen storing multiple keyboards of the same type out of paranoia that one will break down.  Now, if they totally discontinue the HHKB's, then sure, I might pick up another one...but I won't keep one (or several) in mothballs for the sole reason of having an immediate replacement if one dies/breaks/etc.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 07 December 2007, 09:39:18 »
The USB hub on the Pro 2 is FAST! It's the fasted hub I've ever used. I didn't know the Pro 1 lacked the hub entirely, I thought it had one at USB 1.0.

See, my thinking is this - my HHKB will most likely live a max of 10 years, and when it's broke it's gone for good and by that time they won't be available so I will be just be SOL. So I kind of want to buy a backup unit, but I kind of don't because who knows what'll happen in the future, like the HHKB Pro 3 or whatever. Another reason is baby boy, who will soon grow into a variable nightmare for delicate electronics, so the HHKB is in constant danger of getting FUBAR from any number of circumstances.

If I buy a second, I would most likely get a different color and toss it in the current rotation so it doesn't start smelling of mothballs.

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 07 December 2007, 10:05:16 »
And to think you were about to sell yours!  In 10 years time I'm sure we'll have direct computer-to-brain interfaces... or scissor-switch keyboards only (with OLEDs on each key). The latter more likely. I too go through these phases where I think "it's the one" and that I should buy a few extra just in case. But then I use another one of my keyboards and the compulsion passes. I've not found a perfect board for me yet. (Nekkid Alps could be it... but then they are no longer made, so I'd have to hoard some just in case).

Offline mr_sf_applet

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 07 December 2007, 15:08:10 »
Stock up on mechanical-switch keyboards!! Get two of everything, especially the ones with Alps sliders!! Hoard your keyboards, guard'em with your life!! Sustain yourself with mechanicals during this Dark Age of membrane mediocrity.

Look at elmomax and xsphat and their SMK-85's with black Alps sliders. Loves hers to smithereens, says she. Best key action he's ever experienced, says he. AND NOW THEY CANNOT FIND REPLACEMENTS. And now elmomax is sorry she didn't get five more when she first bought hers. Let that be a lesson learned.

I'm one of those paranoid enough to want a spare in reserve for something as nice as the HHKB Pro 2, so yes, I'm thinking of getting another one, for use as a spare, or as something I could take to work with me. I'd probably stick with charcoal, but I may try the black on black one instead of the blank model. Those close-ups in xsphat's photos make the black on black lettering look ultra-cool.

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 07 December 2007, 17:26:48 »
Get 2 of every color.

Offline Bluemercury

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 07 December 2007, 20:26:04 »
I actually have 3 buckling sprin keyboards, one model M5-2, a M5-1 and a very rare one i think with UK layout but this is not of the Model M family.
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
Model M5-1(considering selling this one)
Cherry G80-3000LCMPO with black switches
Cherry G80-5000HAMPO (Brown switches)
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 07 December 2007, 23:47:13 »
I travel with my HHKB Pro, so that is another reason I would like to buy a second one. And for the record, the black on black is the best looking one in my opinion.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 08 December 2007, 13:10:57 »
Quote from: Whiskey in the Jar-o
And to think you were about to sell yours!

And then I realized that the HHKB Pro 2 is the only keyboard in current product which is NOT made by Strongman.

Offline elmomax

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 08 December 2007, 16:11:29 »
Elmomax is sitting here stroking her beloved SMK 85 with tears in her eyes -- still haunting the web searching for a second keyboard.  Kicking myself for not buying several of these when I could.

Offline Nonmouse

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 08 December 2007, 16:28:21 »
Quote from: elmomax
Elmomax is sitting here stroking her beloved SMK 85 with tears in her eyes -- still haunting the web searching for a second keyboard.  Kicking myself for not buying several of these when I could.
Well, this place claims to still have some in stock at $70 per...

Offline mr_sf_applet

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 08 December 2007, 16:37:03 »
Quote from: Nonmouse
Well, this place claims to still have some in stock at $70 per...

They do indeed. That's where I got my silver-and-black SMK-85 a few weeks ago. Genuine Alps -- not Strongman -- sliders. But they're white Alps, not the black Alps sliders that are on elmomax's beloved SMK-85.

Offline mr_sf_applet

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 08 December 2007, 20:04:22 »

Behold elmomax's tragic fate, people! Stock up! You buckling spring buckaroos, you Alps advocates, you champions of the Cherry, you Happy Hacking capacitance cultists. All of you, stock up!

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 08 December 2007, 23:08:46 »
Quote from: mr_sf_applet

Behold elmomax's tragic fate, people! Stock up! You buckling spring buckaroos, you Alps advocates, you champions of the Cherry, you Happy Hacking capacitance cultists. All of you, stock up!

Word!

I think I am going to buy a second HHKB soon, the black ivory model this time.

Offline mr_sf_applet

Re: HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 11 December 2007, 03:31:35 »
Quote from: xsphat
What do you like / dislike about the HHKB Pro *aside from price / availability*?

I forgot  to answer this part. I  like:

1) The tiny form factor. Someone who's not familiar with it would have trouble deciding whether it's a very sophisticated board that's an exemplar of geek chic or just a cheap kiddie toy.

2) The USB hub. It's my only board with a USB hub.

3) The very distinctive key feel. It's pillowy and springy at the same time. It's supposed to have 4mm travel, but man, it feels a lot longer than that, as if my fingers were falling forever, and then they spring up again, like on a trampoline. It feels like no other keyboard I have.

Offline iMav

Re: HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 11 December 2007, 10:55:45 »
1) The tiny form factor. Someone who's not familiar with it would have trouble deciding whether it's a very sophisticated board that's an exemplar of geek chic or just a cheap kiddie toy.

2) The USB hub. It's my only board with a USB hub.

3) The very distinctive key feel. It's pillowy and springy at the same time. It's supposed to have 4mm travel, but man, it feels a lot longer than that, as if my fingers were falling forever, and then they spring up again, like on a trampoline. It feels like no other keyboard I have.

I've been taking a HHKB Pro (non-v.2) back and forth to/from work (no way I leave something I care about at work).  It is VERY portable. And just it's mere presence at work has prompted 3 co-workers to start "saving up" for one themselves.  :)

The one big problem I have with the HHKB Pro is the LACK of a USB hub.  Since I carry a Logitech Trackman Marble with me as well, it would be very nice to be able to plug it into the keyboard.

BTW, nice description of the HHKB Pro key feel...I think you pretty much nailed it.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 11 December 2007, 11:52:23 »
I take mine back and forth to work and school as well, and I took it to the hospital to document the birth of my baby, so you could say the HHKB Pro 2 has a special place in my heart. It is a great keyboard an dI also think mr_sf_applet nailed the description of the key feel. When most people look at my HHKB, they ask where I got it, then I tell them of the price and rarity of it and then they ask what else it does.

I don't think I'll be selling any of them for PFU, but I will use it until it dies without a doubt.

I also like the small form factor and I really like the way it looks and feels to use. My favorite thing about it is that it fits perfectly over the keyboard on the MacBook so I can use it sitting in my chair and still have the entire touch pad available for mousing. It costs a lot, but it is worth it if you ask me.

Offline Bluemercury

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 11 December 2007, 16:39:57 »
Do they make the HHKPRO with the european layout?
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
Model M5-1(considering selling this one)
Cherry G80-3000LCMPO with black switches
Cherry G80-5000HAMPO (Brown switches)
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 11 December 2007, 16:59:22 »
Quote from: Bluemercury
Do they make the HHKPRO with the european layout?

Nope. Just Us and Japanese. Does the US layout not have something you use often? If so, it may be accessable by a US 'board by using option / alt key combos.

Offline iMav

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 13 December 2007, 03:29:57 »
I want the same keyswitches as the HHKP2, but not the HHKP2.

Cross-posting this to a more relevant thread.  :)

I'm curious what you beef is with the HHKB Pro 2.  I'm a HHKB Pro owner and my only beef with the keyboard is that it doesn't have a built-in USB hub (a deficiency that is rectified with the v.2 model).

I really like the feel of the blue cherries, the buckling springs, and the capacitive switches on the HHKB Pro's.  If I had to rank them, it would likely go blue cherry, bs, and then the capacitive switches in a VERY close third.  However, they are all close enough that if I had to stick with any of the three, I'd be perfectly happy.

It's the HHKB key layout that has me stuck on this keyboard for now.  Specifically, the backspace/del key.  I've got small pinkies...so this is really the only keyboard I can effectively hit that key with my pinky.

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 13 December 2007, 03:43:41 »
You rank blue cherries ahead of the buckling spring? I thought the model m was your absolute favourite? WRT HHKBP2, I don't know, for some reason it just doesn't do it for me. I don't want 200 keys, but I want to get my money's worth. Also even fewer people outside Japan have the topre, so I be more l33t than you.

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 13 December 2007, 04:02:48 »
BTW, there is this on ebay. Pretty sure it's the one without the capacitive switches.

Offline iMav

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 13 December 2007, 04:35:58 »
You rank blue cherries ahead of the buckling spring? I thought the model m was your absolute favourite? WRT HHKBP2, I don't know, for some reason it just doesn't do it for me. I don't want 200 keys, but I want to get my money's worth. Also even fewer people outside Japan have the topre, so I be more l33t than you.

I do love typing on my Model M mini...however, I fell absolutely in LOVE with the blue cherries when I got my two SMK-88's equipped with them.  However, that keyboard is a no go for me due to the short right shift key.  Specifically, that short right shift key, coupled with the "normal" placement of the backspace key, causes me issues. (I've gone into detail about this elsewhere on this forum).

The HHKB Pro has a key layout that has proven to be near-perfect for me.  Couple that with the extreme portability (size, weight, and detachable USB cable) and the acceptable keyswitches, and it simply can't be beat AFAIC.

Offline mr_sf_applet

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 13 December 2007, 04:41:09 »

Haha, so others have been checking out the Topre Realforce boards too!

Have you seen the Realforce videos on YouTube, like this one?:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xGvYXxLP5FE

Check out the comment by the guy who  posted the video, section6nakumura. He says that the key feel of the Realforce is slightly different from that of the HHKB Pro. And he also says that Topre is the OEM for the HHKB Pro.

Offline iMav

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 13 December 2007, 05:40:36 »
YI thought the model m was your absolute favourite?

I've actually thought about getting rid of my Model M mini...just for the simple reason that I do not currently use it.  

Although, I think I'd ultimately regret getting rid of it . . .

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 13 December 2007, 05:49:09 »

Haha, so others have been checking out the Topre Realforce boards too!

Where? What? When?! Link, please?

Have you seen the Realforce videos on YouTube, like this one?:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xGvYXxLP5FE

No, but thanks for sharing. Topre info is pretty scarce.

Check out the comment by the guy who  posted the video, section6nakumura. He says that the key feel of the Realforce is slightly different from that of the HHKB Pro. And he also says that Topre is the OEM for the HHKB Pro.

I made the connection when I first stumbled on the Topre website. PFU has a very marketoid website, while Topre's website is very OEM-like (we make this, this and this).  Capacitance switches seem like a recent addition to HHK, while by the look of the Topre keyboards, especially the 101-key US layout version, they've been making them for a long time.  Also the diagram explaining the switch mechanism is identical on both sites.

Offline iMav

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 13 December 2007, 06:28:05 »
Capacitance switches seem like a recent addition to HHK, while by the look of the Topre keyboards, especially the 101-key US layout version, they've been making them for a long time.  Also the diagram explaining the switch mechanism is identical on both sites.

I know that the HHKB Professional line has always had the capacitive switches.  

The original Happy Hacking Keyboard was, in fact, membrane.  (and STILL sold for around $170 at the time)  :)

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 13 December 2007, 06:42:33 »
Yes, but how long has the Pro line been around?  I think Topre has been around for at least 10 years.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 13 December 2007, 09:22:31 »
Well, since Topre is the OEM of the HHKB Pro 2, I just scratched the Realforce off my list forever. Even if the keys feel a bit different, I would be going to a full size keyboard, which is not an idea I like, just to dump what I think is the best form factor in the industry, the HHKB. Man, the more I think about it the more I think I should just buy a second Pro 2 [ivory, nonprinted]  and be done with it.

The HHKB Pro 2 might just be the best keyboard on the planet after all ...

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 13 December 2007, 18:32:18 »
Well, since Topre is the OEM of the HHKB Pro 2, I just scratched the Realforce off my list forever. Even if the keys feel a bit different, I would be going to a full size keyboard, which is not an idea I like, just to dump what I think is the best form factor in the industry, the HHKB. Man, the more I think about it the more I think I should just buy a second Pro 2 [ivory, nonprinted]  and be done with it.

The HHKB Pro 2 might just be the best keyboard on the planet after all ...

Actually, what I like about the Japanese layout Topre, are all the extra modifier keys at the bottom.  Having just one key for the 2 strongest fingers is a waste.  I hope that those kana keys are not like the Fn key on laptops, and can be seen by the computer.  Also, a small space bar would probably guarantee not to be louder than the other keys.

Offline iMav

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 13 December 2007, 20:33:26 »
Having just one key for the 2 strongest fingers is a waste.

I"ve got really strong toes and  ZERO keys to use with them!  :)

My thumbs may be he strongest  fingers on my hands...but they are also the clumsiest.  Not sure I'd want to task them with anything other than the spacebar..  I'm pretty sure there is nothing that would start cramping up my hands faster than moving my thumbs around to use different keys.  

But I'd love to hear how useful (or not) these types of keys are for you guys.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 13 December 2007, 20:41:44 »
I know one of them turns the spacebar into a modifier key for kanji. Honestly, I don't think Japanese keyboards work on computers unless the language is changed. Look into it or buy a cheepy to test it out first.

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 13 December 2007, 21:01:38 »
I know one of them turns the spacebar into a modifier key for kanji. Honestly, I don't think Japanese keyboards work on computers unless the language is changed. Look into it or buy a cheepy to test it out first.

Good idea. In Linux and Windows I've had no difficulty remapping keys whichever way I like. OS X - not so good.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 13 December 2007, 21:06:46 »
I was talking to a dude in comments on Flickr a while back and he told me that all this about Japanese keyboards. I was thinking about buying one long ago when I was first learning to speak and read Japanese.

At least Mac let's you remap the modifier keys in System Preferences.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 13 December 2007, 21:11:26 »
Hey Whiskey, try out a piece of junk like this first, it's cheep enough to toss if it won't work for you.

http://benippon.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=11992

Offline iMav

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 13 December 2007, 21:13:08 »
Good idea. In Linux and Windows I've had no difficulty remapping keys whichever way I like. OS X - not so good.

Have you tried Keyboard Maestro???

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 13 December 2007, 21:22:22 »
iMav, what fingers do you use for the command modifiers? For copy, I put my left thumb on the left command and my left index finger on the c.

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 13 December 2007, 22:22:54 »
Quote from: iMav

Have you tried Keyboard Maestro???

I've heard of it.  But I don't think it would let me swap backspace and caps lock, which I find very handy on all keyboards except the Cherry Cymotion, where the caps lock key is very stiff on purpose.  Besides, that's $20 less to spend on keyboards.

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 13 December 2007, 22:25:57 »
iMav, what fingers do you use for the command modifiers? For copy, I put my left thumb on the left command and my left index finger on the c.

Even though I curse it all the time for not being like every other OS and using Ctrl, Apple's modifier key choice for most shortcuts is superior.  The meta keys next to the space bar are much more convenient. On MS ergonomic boards, these keys are especially easy to thumb.

Offline iMav

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 14 December 2007, 02:06:05 »

I drop down a pinky or ring finger...typically the opposite hand from the other key I need to press.  For example, in OS X with firefox open, I will use my left index finger on the "T" and my right ring finger on the "command" key to open up a new tab.

Offline iMav

Best price on a HHKB Pro 2?
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 14 December 2007, 04:35:14 »
So, any deals on HHKB Pro 2's??  I'm going to step up and get the 2 for the integrated USB hub (my original Pro has no hub).  I'll likely buy from geekstuff4u...unless there is better deal out there.

(no used keyboard for me...so Ebay is MOSTLY out)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 14 December 2007, 08:34:06 »
Quote from: iMav
So, any deals on HHKB Pro 2's??

http://benippon.com/shop/index.php?cPath=6_12

Offline iMav

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 14 December 2007, 09:02:25 »
http://benippon.com/shop/index.php?cPath=6_12

Nice.  SIGNIFICANT savings over GeekStuff4U.  Anyone actually order through these guys before?

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 14 December 2007, 10:47:58 »
I found out about it on this board, so maybe. Don't recall who mentioned it. If you order from them, I will too.

Offline xyzzy

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 14 December 2007, 16:26:55 »
I found out about it on this board, so maybe. Don't recall who mentioned it. If you order from them, I will too.

Here. I still haven't ordered anything from them, but I've sent them an email once and got a prompt and nice reply. The feeling is ok, I think I'd order from them once I make up my mind about buying an HHKB Pro.  8)

IBM Model F62 (Ellipse's) • PFU HHKB Pro Type S Hybrid • PFU HHKB Pro • Leopold FC660C • IBM Model M SSK 1391472 • IBM Model M SSK UNI04C6 • IBM Model M 1391405 (x4) • Cherry MX 1800 Compact (blue Cherry) • Cherry MX 11900 Touchboard (brown Cherry) • Dell AT102W (black Alps) • Apple Extended Keyboard II (cream Alps) • Acer 6312-TA (black Acer) • Unikey KWD-601 (white Cherry)

Offline iMav

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 14 December 2007, 16:36:03 »
I've submitted my order for one white, blank-keytop HHKB Pro 2 from beNippon.  I'm still awaiting my email with "instructions for payment", so we'll see.

*edit*
Payment submitted via PayPal.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 14 December 2007, 19:33:59 »
Keep us posted iMav. If this goes as it should for you I plan to give them some business as well.

Offline iMav

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 15 December 2007, 14:26:04 »
Over 24 hours after submitting payment via Paypal (WITH email receipt FROM PayPal that payment was made), the beNippon website shows my order status as "Waiting Payment".  And, I have not received any payment acknowledgement from beNippon.

My hope is that they simply don't work weekends. We'll see.

Offline iMav

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 17 December 2007, 01:34:59 »
In my inbox this evening:

Your payment has been received, thank you.
We are processing to your order.

------------------------------------------------------------

We start to stock up the products of your order.

As soon as we will have all your products in stock we will ship your
order and announce it by email.

Further information
-------------------
(You should read them carefully if it is your first order with
beNippon)

DELAYS & STOCK

Below somes usual delays to get products.
Days are WORKING DAYS, therefore excluding weekends and official
Japanese hollidays.

Brand new products:
- Books: 4 to 10 days
- Figures & Goodies: 2 to 7 days
- Electronics: 2 to 5 days
- Magazines: until publication of next issue if current one is
soldout

Second-hand products: 3 to 10 days

From time to time our suppliers may have no more stock for somes
products. In this case please count one more week delay.

If the product was no more available at all (soldout) we will of
course fully refund you.

At any time you can check your order status online on beNippon.com,
in your account history:
http://benippon.com/shop/account_history.php

Thank you for choosing beNippon.
--
beNippon team
http://benippon.com/

-----------------------------------------------------------------

:)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 17 December 2007, 02:15:59 »
Well, I guess they do take weekends off. This is cool, I'm happy for you.