Author Topic: Cherry Cymotion keyboards  (Read 16287 times)

Offline Whiskey in the Jar-o

Cherry Cymotion keyboards
« on: Sun, 09 December 2007, 17:05:25 »
I know they ain't cool, since they use membranes, but it's the finest keyboard I've used (besides the nekkid Alps, which aren't practical just yet). Here's a cool video of the Solar model, the one that I have (click on "feature tour" to start the flash app):

http://www.cherry.de/english/products/keyboards_cymotion_expert.htm

Offline fkeidjn

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 09 December 2007, 17:23:37 »
I don't have that keyboard, though I was considering that one against the one I have right now, and I should have gotten the solar-powered keyboard instead.  The one I have right now uses scissor-switches, and the upside-down L-shaped key has caused me to stop using it.
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 09 December 2007, 17:36:12 »
The Pro is the odd one out in the Cymotion line. The "real" non-scissor-switch Cymotions have model numbers starting with 86 ie. G86-XXXX, M86-XXXX. The pro is M85, G85, etc.. BTW, I don't think the the solar model is made anymore, so what's out there is old stock. I got mine more than a year ago from here: http://www.keystrokesolutions.com.au/product_details.asp?pid=2198&ccode=KB

It was 2-3 times cheaper than everywhere else. The keyboard's been running without a hitch. The mouse is lousy. Heavy, only 800 dpi, needs to be recharged via the dongle practically all the time. Beware that this keyboard is not exactly quiet. It's definitely nothing like any other membrane board out there.

Offline mr_sf_applet

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 09 December 2007, 18:48:23 »
The more Whiskey mentions the Cherry Cymotion, the more I'm intrigued by it.

Hey, fkeidjn, I noticed you added the Scorpius M10 to your sig. What are your impressions?

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 09 December 2007, 19:39:01 »
Quote from: mr_sf_applet

Hey, fkeidjn, I noticed you added the Scorpius M10 to your sig. What are your impressions?

AFAIK, I have no enemies on this forum, so make sure you get the cheapest model. The Cherry Cymotion Expert can be had for about $25 from UK sites, though it's a UK layout most likely.

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 09 December 2007, 20:39:40 »

Damn, I've now even convinced myself. The Solar is not made anymore, maybe I should buy an extra set just in case?

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 09 December 2007, 20:42:33 »
Quote from: Whiskey in the Jar-o
maybe I should buy an extra set just in case?

It's like this a bug going around and we have all caught it because we are finding more and more that we are outnumbered.

Offline fkeidjn

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 10 December 2007, 12:03:58 »
I should check with DataCal to see if they might have anymore Cymotion Solar keyboards in stock.

The sound of the typing is not as loud as the Model M, and the typing requires less force.  Although I'm typing on the M10 right now, I still like Model M the best.

EDIT:  Alas, Datacal says that they don't have anymore Cymotion solar keyboard.
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

Cymotion vs. MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 14 December 2007, 02:41:10 »
Used the MS Natural 4000 today instead of the Cymotion.  Man, the keys on that thing are so dull!  My fingers and even wrists (which the special keyboard shape is supposed to protect) were aching in no time.  The key feel on the Natural feels exactly like that on $10 boards you can get at the supermarket.  The key press takes too much force.  The feedback is dull and rubbery.  I find that if I press the keys down forcefully with my knuckles, the keys soften up somewhat for a little while.  But after 10-20 minutes, they are back to their heavy selves.  Also, this kind of procedure puts undue pressure on the whole keyboard assembly (which is fairly delicate, when you take the board apart).  I wonder if it's possible to soften the rubber mats with some kind of alkaline solution...  The keys on the NEK4000 are rated for only 1 million presses.  Too bad, I really like the look and shape of it...  (I've typed this post on the Cymotion, and it's a total pleasure in comparison.)

EDIT: Damn it.  I feel like hoarding another Solar, while I can still get them.

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 08 January 2008, 05:25:28 »
A little update. I've had the Cherry Cymotion Master Solar set for about 15 months.  The mouse batteries, as one would naturally expect of a mouse, went sour very quickly.  After only a few months of use they require almost constant charging via the dongle. So now, most of the time, it's just a heavy wired mouse with an awkward cable.

The keyboard (the truly solar part) was much better.  I quietly entertained the thought that maybe I will never have to change its batteries. But no, a few days ago I started getting low-battery warnings for the keyboard as well.  The batteries can only be charged by the solar panel.  I could possibly shove them into the mouse, but seeing how one of the mouse batteries has leaked alkaline, I don't trust its charger.  The batteries themselves are AA rechargeable alkalines.  A technological dead-end, I can gather. So there is no free lunch, I'm afraid.

Offline CX23882

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 04 November 2008, 06:30:11 »
I realise that this thread is nearly a year old, but I would like to add to the positive comments on the Cymotion boards.

For years I used whatever board came with the computer (1997 Fujitsu, then 2000 Chicony) but about 4 years ago I became interested in something better, so I bought a UK-manufactured IBM Model M from eBay.  It was a joy to type on but I missed the Windows key so ordered a Unicomp.  Then I bought a cheap Dell PC as a secondary system which had no PS/2 ports, and no matter which PS/2-USB adapter I tried I couldn't get it to work reliably.  The best would be a keyboard that worked 90% of the time but would suffer stuck keys or missed key-presses.  Not a joy to type on anymore.

For a while I used the Dell keyboard provided with the PC - one of those terrible rattly compact things but I decided to look for something better.  Browsing through Scan I came across the Cherry Cymotion Expert for £15 and ordered one.  From the minute I removed it from the box it was clear that it was like no other rubber dome keyboard in terms of key feel.  Cherry make a big deal of the large key-caps but for me the action underneath them is the big deal.  As for noise, there is enough noise to know you've pressed a key (and absolutely no rattle, not even the space bar) but it's very subdued and quite soothing to listen to someone typing on one.

I wanted a second board for work, so I ordered a Cymotion Master XPress, but I found that it had a different feel and was noisier.  When I removed the keys it was obvious what the difference was.  The keys and rubber dome all look identical between both models, but the cheaper Expert has white grease/lubricant applied to every key at the factory whereas the more expensive Master XPress lacked it.  This probably accounts for why some people find Cymotion's noisy and others loud.

For me, I prefer the greased models (which also has the bonus of being cheaper).  I've added silicon grease to my Master XPress and it feels similar to the Expert now.  If you do it yourself, you only need a really, really tiny amount of grease.  I used the thick gooey type too, and not the spray type.  Whenever I'm on vacation, someone else moves onto my desk to use my superior Cherry keyboard (over the Dell crap elsewhere).

Recently, I was intrigued by Cherry MX switches, so I ordered a Cherry G80-3000 with Cherry Blue switches.  I thought that I would prefer the mechanical switches over rubber dome, but I have found the opposite to be true.  The G80 isn't a bad keyboard, but I just prefer the feel, noise and build quality of the Cymotion.  Right now I have 2 spare Cymotion boards in the attic in case Cherry decide to ever stop making them.  Maybe by the time I've got through all of them I'll either be dead, or we won't be using keyboards anymore (yeah right!).

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 05 November 2008, 05:53:44 »
Quote from: CX23882;10229
Right now I have 2 spare Cymotion boards in the attic in case Cherry decide to ever stop making them.  Maybe by the time I've got through all of them I'll either be dead, or we won't be using keyboards anymore (yeah right!).

Unlikely to happen.  AFAIK, all Cherry SPOS keyboards are now based on the same Cymotion technology (G86).

Edit: OTOH, the non-SPOS versions seem to be getting thinner on the ground (at least here, down under).

Offline FPGA-88

Solar Limited Edition
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 14:48:53 »
Lest I be not thought guilty for waking this topic, even at later date. However, strikes as somewhat pretentious to open a new topic, being a greenhorn of barely a few minutes, on this great forum of yours.

Although my typing pleasure remains with model M and mechanical bliss at heart; always shared my admiration for Cherry keyboards, and no year (dare I say, since early 80's) would pass without buying or extensively trying Cherry's latest.

The very reason for this post is to mention a very special edition - edition sadly no more - that escapes even the most informed Cherry users and admirers. Somewhere 2004/2005, Cheery devised a scheme to uplift, again (anyone remembers Colani Welcome keyboard from 91/93?) some luxury in the desktop keyboard range.

They chose Solar Master for such purpose and, well, they offered a selection of unseen range of motives. I've managed to save some catalogues I've took in Germany and some of the promo materials. For life of me, I've often tried to find some data on "edition" range, but, not even a single reference awaits such query

So I've decided to dedicate one page, to make sure they are not forgotten in the realms of binary :  Cherry CyMotion Master Solar (M86-21950) & Limited Editions

This was a rather limited offer that ended quite prematurely for my liking, also, for some authenticity that resides less often in domain of generic approach to design essence within IT industry. I've once managed to speak with a person from Cherry who was quite familiar with LE, but even he couldn’t precise for how many months was this series actually available.  I've purchased my HB edition,  I believe in 2004.

The main trigger for my purchase was no more noble then fascination with design and shape. Quite frankly, I hated a membrane affair and every slip from my M keys, would confirm disappointment.

So I’ve made a terrible mistake and returned this keyboard. A few years later, the noise of M and bulky nature of them all, well, I decided to use them only when stroke would employ heavy input on daily basis. So I’ve looked for my Cheery replacement, and although I had many Cheery keyboard in my boxes, something was pushing me for Solar again.

Took me a few days to grasp that LE is no more, and the prospect of finding the same is bordering with impossible. Took the next best thing, regular Solar if you will and remained my favorite keyboard for desktop affairs. I love side programmable keys and Keyman combined, took me some time to absorb tactile dullness that appears with initial surface experience, and now feel really conformable with Solar.

Oh yes, the mouse, although designed with finer lineage of Cherry approach, sings no praise to function and follows nothing but form. Had they decided to sale Solar alone, perhaps would grant a few points more for general acceptance. Being a trackball user, never really cared for this anyway.

Well thanks for your attention and reading. I thought this keyboard should be more known and wanted to share my thoughts with Geekhack.

« Last Edit: Sat, 15 December 2012, 23:03:27 by FPGA-88 »

Offline FPGA-88

Re: Cherry Cymotion keyboards
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 23:10:24 »
Just found a picture of much rarer Cherry Welcome Key and refreshed my post.

but all the pictures that come are ISO only.

Not quite sure what you mean by this?

Offline FPGA-88

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 00:00:26 »
Oh, I see now.  The word "picture" steered me from the ISO in the wrong sense, thinking I’ve might have missed internal lingo meaning, quite often found in creative forum communities.

Well, should you pay a visit to German ebay and type Cymotion, you will - at times - discover both versions. Not everyday, but they do appear from time to time.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 10:38:15 »
I hate to bump a post from the dead, but if anyone wants one of these brand new, never used, there's someone near me that apparently has one:
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/ele/5207893012.html

I don't mind helping with logistics to make this happen for someone that really wants this.

Offline FPGA-88

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 14 April 2023, 18:48:58 »
@SamirD,

next time, please use something like Archive, to preserve the link for good.

Can you please tell me, what was exactly sold on Craiglist?  What Cherry Cymotion version of keyboard?

Sorry for the late reply, date wise, very late indeed.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 15 April 2023, 10:49:37 »
@SamirD,

next time, please use something like Archive, to preserve the link for good.

Can you please tell me, what was exactly sold on Craiglist?  What Cherry Cymotion version of keyboard?

Sorry for the late reply, date wise, very late indeed.
lol, none of the links in this thread work anymore.  I have no clue anymore as that was 8 years ago.  :eek: