Author Topic: Yet another CM QFR with no clicking keys - report yours :-)  (Read 20646 times)

Offline tauburn

Re: Yet another CM QFR with no clicking keys - report yours :-)
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 08 February 2013, 23:37:12 »
The human race has developed nano circuitry. Mechanical switches are not too complicated to perfect.

Indeed...but this isn't the space program.  :)  It's a plastic switch made by the millions as efficiently as possible.

that's where you're wrong

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 00:48:47 »
The human race has developed nano circuitry. Mechanical switches are not too complicated to perfect.

Indeed...but this isn't the space program.  :)  It's a plastic switch made by the millions as efficiently as possible.

that's where you're wrong

YEP.
Well, except they were Alps Complicated Whites, but who's really counting?
... oh right. WE are.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline Phil21

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 02:56:35 »
QFR w/ Greens - 2 non-clicky switches

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 17:24:21 »
I just got a third replacement QFR w/Blues today. And it is mostly free of defects.

Same supplier shipment. Same batch going by serial numbers. Looks and feels like a completely and totally different keyboard. Every key clicks as it should, no squealing, no electrical problems so far. Still has that obnoxious Crapstar stabilizer walk and rattle, especially pronounced on RShift, and the typical spacebar squeak (gotta find my lithium grease,) but that's what you get with cheaping out on stabilizers. Seriously guys, I will buy a pallet of QuickFire XTs if you use Cherry stabilizers. They are so much better.
But it really feels like a completely different keyboard, side by side with the 2 defective switch one. Keycaps feel different, bottoming out feels different, the works. I honestly cannot explain it, because the serial numbers are very close. Yet these feel like they were made on two entirely different lines. The good keyboard feels more stable despite neither having any flex. The LEDs look slightly different as well - dimmer on the good one. Not that I'm complaining about it - non-blinding is good - but it's pretty dang confusing.

The bottom of the chassis also had a bit of scuffing out of the box, but the top shell has no such issues. There's some waviness on the upper edge where the two halves of the shell meet, but it's less than half a millimeter. Honestly would go unnoticed except I stuck it right up against a straight edge for machining (basically, highly accurate) and the contrast made it visible. Certainly no complaints about that, but may want to keep an eye out. Not sure what could have caused it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 February 2013, 17:29:53 by rootwyrm »
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 17:35:48 »
I'm doing a survey on MX Blue and MX Green

Click(*) here -> :p<- to answer the poll
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline Turkishrambo

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 17:46:15 »
can u do an audio recording of the no click?

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 17:48:30 »

Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline tauburn

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 18:03:14 »

keys that don't click dont have a consistent sound. some have a loose sounding or muffled click, others sound sortof like browns.

Offline uzoc

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 18:36:57 »
They should collect all the non-clicky blues a make a limited edition silent blue board.

Yeah, this could be a new linear switch: Cherry MX Silent Blues!  ;D
Yes, Cherry MX Silent Blues (they just paint them BROWN)! :))
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 February 2013, 18:41:01 by uzoc »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 22:30:40 »
When a couple of my MX blues do not click, I imaging it is almost like reds, but with a bump.  They do seem to be improving over time i.e. the click is becoming slightly more consistent.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tauburn

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 22:32:46 »
the thing that bothers me about the non clicky keys is that they do infact feel better.

i did a deaf test on 2 people and they could feel a difference. i had them wear earplugs and feel two keys, 1 with and 1 without click.

the clicky ones have a sharpness to the beginning of the press that goes away when they dont click.

had it only been a sound related problem i wouldnt care at all.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 10:33:58 »
the thing that bothers me about the non clicky keys is that they do infact feel better.

i did a deaf test on 2 people and they could feel a difference. i had them wear earplugs and feel two keys, 1 with and 1 without click.

the clicky ones have a sharpness to the beginning of the press that goes away when they dont click.

Do they feel better than normal tactile non clicky switches (Brown, Clear, etc...)?
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #62 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 10:34:55 »
Mr.Green Part II Rated G
Part one was showing a nipple and offended some viewers. So I made a Rated G sequel with no naked parts exposed. Joke aside, apparently part one was misleading due to trivial sound physics. It was like taking the body out of a guitar (the body provides the resonance that shapes the tonal qualities of the instrument). Someone could probably win a case in court with a solid argument like that. So enjoy this new unbiased video and try to figure which keys are not clicking.
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline tauburn

« Reply #63 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 10:59:55 »

Do they feel better than normal tactile non clicky switches (Brown, Clear, etc...)?

no not really. they feel mushier

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 14:35:28 »

Ayup.. that's why I call 'em thud keys. If the slider isn't moving at all, the MX Blue is lighter than an MX Red. Hence why I call them thud keys. It is impossible to not bottom them out because they just fall straight down as hard as they can.

I'm going to give it another day or two at least, but it looks like I got another defective board - which would be unbelievable if this isn't one that should have passed QA. Sure, every single key clicks, no problems there. The problem is that keys are STICKING. Literally stuck in the half-on position, and not unsticking even remotely easily. I'm doubtful any sort of wear-in is going to help, because it feels like a slider lubrication issue, but we'll see.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 14:56:34 »

Ayup.. that's why I call 'em thud keys. If the slider isn't moving at all, the MX Blue is lighter than an MX Red. Hence why I call them thud keys. It is impossible to not bottom them out because they just fall straight down as hard as they can.

I'm going to give it another day or two at least, but it looks like I got another defective board - which would be unbelievable if this isn't one that should have passed QA. Sure, every single key clicks, no problems there. The problem is that keys are STICKING. Literally stuck in the half-on position, and not unsticking even remotely easily. I'm doubtful any sort of wear-in is going to help, because it feels like a slider lubrication issue, but we'll see.

you have super bad luck... LOL... even with squared failure rates.. you land jackpot ;D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 15:06:16 »
I went to test my less-clicky switches this morning, and both are clicking happily.  Sigh.

The click does sound muted though, more like a clack than a click.  Sometimes it sounds like a little tick just before the click, almost like a click before the activation point (kinda like my NEC switches).  But the activation force increases just as it should, and the switch activates thereafter.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 15:17:37 »
I went to test my less-clicky switches this morning, and both are clicking happily.  Sigh.

The click does sound muted though, more like a clack than a click.  Sometimes it sounds like a little tick just before the click, almost like a click before the activation point (kinda like my NEC switches).  But the activation force increases just as it should, and the switch activates thereafter.

OK,  I drew this in paint, but, you get the idea...    Make the fins out of soft FELT,,  attach to variable speed Power drill... And apply to affected key...  They should start clicking in no time.

NO making fun of my ART please...  :D

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #68 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 18:41:43 »
NO making fun of my ART please...  :D

No making un of your ART
-------------^--------->f

Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 15:04:26 »
So, quick update on my troubles with the QFR... so far, #3 seems well behaved. C and Tab aren't sticking after some break-in. I'm still hating the Costar stabilizers, to be quite honest. They're still flimsy, wobbly, and prone to rattle. Shift is particularly obnoxious. Clicks but all you feel is the crappy stabilizer. And RShift, all you feel is the properly lubricated slider walking around and hitching constantly. Worse than that, they feel and sound incredibly cheap and flimsy - because they are.

It is a horrible, unforgivable design decision - especially with the sort of margins going on here. Cherry stabilizers do not cost that much more, and they are a vastly superior part. They feel better, they move better, they sound better. Wire stabilizers are garbage on Cherry MX, have always been garbage, and will always be garbage. Unless the QuickFire XT has Cherry stabilizers, I suspect I'll go find something that does. Because they really are that godawful and cheap.

Offline Warduke

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 15:13:14 »
I've never tried a Cherry stabilizer so I don't know if I would like them or not but reading about the difference between Costar and Cherry at GH and a few other places, I have no doubt CM made the right choice with Costar stabilizers. They are far more popular and liked than Cherry.
Unicomp Customizer 104 - Rosewill RK-9000 - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid - CM Storm QuickFire Stealth -
Pok3r

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 15:14:42 »
You are one, sad puppy.  Indeed, Costar stabs can be a bit more rattly than the Cherry unless they are lubed.  Some people prefer them anyway.  You obviously don't.  We get it.  My model M stabs rattled too until I lubed them.

Cherry stabs are not unicorns and ponies, either.  My Leo had a squeaky left shift that would bind until I lubed a bit and the right shift on my first Poker buzzed (annoying when being used as up-arrow).
Russ

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 15:28:33 »
You are one, sad puppy.  Indeed, Costar stabs can be a bit more rattly than the Cherry unless they are lubed.  Some people prefer them anyway.  You obviously don't.  We get it.  My model M stabs rattled too until I lubed them.

Cherry stabs are not unicorns and ponies, either.  My Leo had a squeaky left shift that would bind until I lubed a bit and the right shift on my first Poker buzzed (annoying when being used as up-arrow).

No, they aren't. But they don't walk. It's physically impossible for a Cherry stabilizer to walk. And they're not "a bit more" rattly - it's a cacophony. This is after being lubed with high density white lithium grease, no less. That's what bothers me - it sounds and feels cheap when heavily greased stabilizers still walk and rattle. It detracts incredibly from what is otherwise a very solidly constructed and well made keyboard, and that really bothers me. Even non-computer people have commented that it looks amazing, but "sounds cheap." Especially when compared to a Cherry stabilized board.

It's also worth pointing out this is pretty much exactly why the only wire-stabilized key on a Model M is the spacebar. It's an inherent flaw of wire stabilization method, no exceptions. The cap will walk. That's why the rest of the keys are barrel slider stabilized - the only way to stop walk is with X axis anchoring. Costar's design has zero X anchoring, whereas Cherry stabilizers inherently anchor X in all four directions. Costar-style only stabilizes Y axis movement; there's no X anchoring, which also puts additional strain on the switch stem over time since it's being forced to do all X anchoring. Not a big deal with a Model M because of that big round barrel - huge problem long term with a little plastic X.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 15:46:02 »
You have definitely had a hard time with you QFR experience, so I can understand your frustration. 

The side-to-side clearances of the Cherry stab are quite massive compared to the switch stem, so I don't really buy the "walking" theory.  The Poker to my left has just as much side-to-side movement on the big keys as the Noppo on my right.  There is no practical difference between the two (except of the slight difference in feel...the reason people have a preference).

I did find your reasoning for the stabilizer changes on the Model M to be somewhat creative, however.  It is pretty obvious that the change was done for cost reasons.  Those little wires are fiddly and complicate assembly.
Russ

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 17:07:01 »
You have definitely had a hard time with you QFR experience, so I can understand your frustration. 

The side-to-side clearances of the Cherry stab are quite massive compared to the switch stem, so I don't really buy the "walking" theory.  The Poker to my left has just as much side-to-side movement on the big keys as the Noppo on my right.  There is no practical difference between the two (except of the slight difference in feel...the reason people have a preference).

That's interesting, did Cherry make a change then? Because I tell you what; the walk on a Wyse PCET is absolutely zero, excepting the spacebar. Now that may be in part because the main stem (key switch) is a very heavy black, but shouldn't have that much effect. But the reason there's no walk is because the stabilizers are basically the same as the keyswitches - so they anchor all 4 X-axis directions. The spacebar has some walk just due to the size. But the shift/backspace/numpad enter have no walk at all. The walk on the spacebar is from the size and weight being able to pull up the stabilizers.
And when I say walk, I mean 'lateral and horizontal movement of the key' rather than wobble, which is uneven vertical movement. Two very different things. Wire stabilizers will always wobble, without exception, and Cherry can be prone to it depending on the setup. All Costar stabilizers are prone to walk though, typically along the left-right axis. (This ain't my first Costar rodeo; I've got a CST-104, same problem.)
Cherry must have made a change though, because the PCET also has no wobble except on spacebar. The trick with wobble is sufficient and equal springing at all points - active damping. Wire is strictly passive, meaning it will pretty much always be prone to wobble because it's difficult to equalize force on both sides. (Don't believe me? Press at the extreme left of RShift on a QFR, and you'll feel the lean.

Like I said; on stuff like this, the details really do matter. People can pretend all they like. Eliminating the wobble and reducing stabilizer feel (which overwhelms the switch itself by far) would make everyone shout from the rooftops that the QFR is the best keyboard ever made. Just that one little detail. One which honestly seems fairly easy to address.

I did find your reasoning for the stabilizer changes on the Model M to be somewhat creative, however.  It is pretty obvious that the change was done for cost reasons.  Those little wires are fiddly and complicate assembly.

Oh, there's that too. Plus the barrel stabilizing means multiple layouts do not require a unique part per layout. But if it was purely cost reasons, then they would have barrel stabilized the space bar as well OR wire stabilized other keys. It's certainly possible and doable. But they didn't - they kept the fiddly, difficult to assemble, and relatively easy to break wire stabilizer on the spacebar. Which is also harder to manufacture as opposed to throwing a barrel plug in. It's also cheaper than a barrel plug, since those require fairly close tolerances meaning fairly frequent mold maintenance.
But also bear in mind that IBM has always been about not "feeling cheap." Go look at a PC-XT, PC-AT, PS/2.. IBM didn't use the cheapest parts possible there either. They didn't use the big red power switch because it was cheap or economical; they used it because it was solid and gives that satisfying "CLACK" when you turn it on and off. They never want to even seem slightly cheap, so they won't hesitate to go overkill in some areas, and they tend to pay very close attention to the details, right down to the colorfastness of the plastic for card carriers. (Software is another issue entirely.)

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 20:11:01 »
Ok here's a quick update

http://www.computervalley.ca Avoid these guys at all costs. Horrible Customer Support!

Reaching Cooler Master directly - Thanks to Rajiv and Jeremy, I've been taking care of.
The Service was as good as it gets.

Stay tuned for final update when I receive the replacement board.

Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 20:43:17 »
Good luck!  it is great having CM reps lurking around here.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 21:56:43 »
And when I say walk, I mean 'lateral and horizontal movement of the key' rather than wobble, which is uneven vertical movement. Two very different things. Wire stabilizers will always wobble, without exception, and Cherry can be prone to it depending on the setup. All Costar stabilizers are prone to walk though, typically along the left-right axis. (This ain't my first Costar rodeo; I've got a CST-104, same problem.)
Cherry must have made a change though, because the PCET also has no wobble except on spacebar. The trick with wobble is sufficient and equal springing at all points - active damping. Wire is strictly passive, meaning it will pretty much always be prone to wobble because it's difficult to equalize force on both sides. (Don't believe me? Press at the extreme left of RShift on a QFR, and you'll feel the lean.

Yup they do lean.  So does my Poker.  Now that I am home, I just looked at my Cherry G80-1800 and it is similar.  A bit less lean, though.  The lean is mainly a function of the play between the wire and the mounts that are attached to either end of the key.  One thing I have noticed between the various Cherry stabs I have seen on both new and vintage keyboard: the thickness of the wire varies.  My Poker has an aluminum case with sides that don't go up as far as the stock case does.  This give a beautiful view of the Cherry stab in action on the space bar.  Indeed, the lean comes from the play between the wire and the cantilever on the mount.

I think there is a reason that the stabilizers need a lot of extra clearance: tolerances.  I noticed this when I put my Phantom together.  The Costar stabilizer guides were a very tight fit on the plate.  A lot of force is needed to get them to fully seat.  If the center line of the two guides are not perfectly in line with the key switch or the switch is ever-so-slightly rotated, the key will bind.  I started looking at other keyboards and noticed that they are not always perfect.  I would say that both types of stabs are designed not to actively guide the key cap down to prevent binding.  Perhaps the enclosed nature of the Cherry stabilizer is part of what makes them seem more heavy than the more-open (and cheaper) Costar design.

Like I said; on stuff like this, the details really do matter. People can pretend all they like. Eliminating the wobble and reducing stabilizer feel (which overwhelms the switch itself by far) would make everyone shout from the rooftops that the QFR is the best keyboard ever made. Just that one little detail. One which honestly seems fairly easy to address.

Well, like all hobbies... obsessing over the details is what makes it fun.  :)

Oh, there's that too. Plus the barrel stabilizing means multiple layouts do not require a unique part per layout. But if it was purely cost reasons, then they would have barrel stabilized the space bar as well OR wire stabilized other keys. It's certainly possible and doable. But they didn't - they kept the fiddly, difficult to assemble, and relatively easy to break wire stabilizer on the spacebar. Which is also harder to manufacture as opposed to throwing a barrel plug in. It's also cheaper than a barrel plug, since those require fairly close tolerances meaning fairly frequent mold maintenance.

If you have ever pressed on the rightmost edge of the right shift key, you'll know why a barrel-mount stabilizer would not work for the space bar.  When I do that on my Model F, it has no issues at all.  :)

But also bear in mind that IBM has always been about not "feeling cheap." Go look at a PC-XT, PC-AT, PS/2.. IBM didn't use the cheapest parts possible there either. They didn't use the big red power switch because it was cheap or economical; they used it because it was solid and gives that satisfying "CLACK" when you turn it on and off. They never want to even seem slightly cheap, so they won't hesitate to go overkill in some areas, and they tend to pay very close attention to the details, right down to the colorfastness of the plastic for card carriers. (Software is another issue entirely.)

It's pretty well-accepted that the Model M was an economized Model F.  The Model F is a superior mechanism in just about every way.  However it is complicated and expensive.  They took the Model F design and simplified it as much as they could without losing the important aspects.  They continued to do this over the course of the Model M's existence (thinner back plates, simplified stabilizers, non-detectable cable, etc).  By normal keyboard standards, the Model M was still leagues above any other keyboard and the barrel-stabilized keys work just fine (who uses that edge of the r-shift anyway?).
Russ

Offline CM-Rajiv

• CM Storm Rep
  • * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 10:52:22 »
hey boys, is the QFR the right way to go if i want a TKL/60% board while staying cheap ?

cause i see here that there are still problems and stuff

BucklingSpring has been taken care of from my knowledge, I hope they can update this thread accordingly :)

You should be fine with any QFR board, and I am here to help support you in any way I can.

Cooler Master USA - CM Storm Marketing Team - [CM Storm Trigger CherryMX Green Switch]

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 20:23:56 »
BucklingSpring has been taken care of from my knowledge, I hope they can update this thread accordingly :)

You should be fine with any QFR board, and I am here to help support you in any way I can.

UPDATE - CM took good care of me. I got my RMA Label today. The not so clicky green is heading home.
I will write back a final update using the replacement unit when it arrives.

Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline tauburn

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 21:23:45 »

UPDATE - CM took good care of me. I got my RMA Label today. The not so clicky green is heading home.

that's bull****. i'm never buying a filco again unless it's secondhand. i bought one with blues virtually none of them clicked and they wouldnt do anything for me.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 21:28:56 »

that's bull****. i'm never buying a filco again unless it's secondhand. i bought one with blues virtually none of them clicked and they wouldnt do anything for me.

So it's BS...but in a good way for Mr. Spring.  :)  Props to CM for making it right.
Russ

Offline tauburn

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 21:37:25 »

So it's BS...but in a good way for Mr. Spring.  :)  Props to CM for making it right.

indeed it is. all it means to me is that i'm going to support CM and not Diatec

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 21:42:58 »

Yea screw diatec... ripping people off with their $150 non-clicking mx blue keyboards ;D

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #84 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 19:43:09 »

Yea screw diatec... ripping people off with their $150 non-clicking mx blue keyboards ;D

Hey - Easy on diatec! They make good boards
But the thing Diatec is doing best is selling Matias keyboards in asia :-)
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #85 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 19:46:04 »
I got so p!ssed at Cherry for pushing non clicky switches that I went back to rubber dome for a while...

LoL - found another reason to say that I'm currently typing on a Unicomp Ultra-Classic featuring the Quiet Touch technology.
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 19:59:02 »
I got so p!ssed at Cherry for pushing non clicky switches that I went back to rubber dome for a while...

LoL - found another reason to say that I'm currently typing on a Unicomp Ultra-Classic featuring the Quiet Touch technology.

I can't believe you paid $100 for that...

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #87 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 20:56:49 »

I can't believe you paid $100 for that...

You're right - I lied - 79$ + $40 shipping + 10$ fedex (shove it up you're customs) + 13$ taxes
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #88 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 21:43:24 »
Got my QFR w/ blues today from Amazon and it works perfectly.

Offline tauburn

« Reply #89 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 22:43:47 »
Got my QFR w/ blues today from Amazon and it works perfectly.

well then you can go to hell

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 11:22:38 »
i picked up a grey non branded QFR yesterday at micro center /w blues.  The issue i have is with the"I" key.  It clicks on the left side but not the right.  i mashed the key on the right side a couple hundred times and now i get a click if i put more weight on the top right but not so much on the bottom right.  it seems to be getting better.
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 15:36:58 »
Update a month later.

In Feb, after some back and forth with CM, I finally got a RMA Label with a pre-paid courrier label.
I had to beg to get it pre-paid. Normal CM customers has to pay for shipping back defective goods. (Cheap)
The courier was snail mail. It took over 10 days to reach CM (Cheap)
Btw - The help-desk at CM has no ticketing system. (Cheap)

20 days later, still no response, so I asked the RMA dept what was going on.
few days later - 3 emails to RMA without response, I sent a PM to Rajiv here.

I'm told CM is out of stock and they don't keep any units for RMA's. (Cheap)
As an unusual token of generosity - I was offered a mouse and a pad. (Cheap)

I found such offer more offensive than nothing at all. So I asked for a little more (Sirus 5.1 SGH-6000-KK5R1 to be precise)
Then I got a call from the RMA dept. Sorry dude no QFR in sight. They offered to "upgrade" my QFR with a backlit Trigger.
Meh. Not interested in that Trigger, but it's that or wait two more months for the next shipment.

I wrote back to Rajiv, let them RMA folks send that stupid Trigger so I get something to chew on and send that SGH-6000 and the QFR with green if you ever get them.
Rajiv response was with a lesser SGH-4000, no Trigger and the QFR when ever they get them... Apparently it took a special approval from upper management to get that goodies out of their stock. This offer also came with a big disclaimer "this is not how we do business". I was also told that I was trying to take advantage of the situation and it was not nice. Once again "cheap" came to my mind and I told myself - Screw this. Keep your headset, it will make me feel better to share this horror story on the forum.

Overall experience with Cooler Master Customer Support - Slow and cheap.
Rajiv is a nice guy, but they keep him on a short leach with next to no room to do good.

Cooler Master keyboards - cheaper to buy for a reason. They save money on customer service.

I'll post an update if I ever get that QFR with green. Man this thing better click when it arrives.

Feels good to vent thought.

Ok here's a quick update

http://www.computervalley.ca Avoid these guys at all costs. Horrible Customer Support!

Reaching Cooler Master directly - Thanks to Rajiv and Jeremy, I've been taking care of.
The Service was as good as it gets.

Stay tuned for final update when I receive the replacement board.

Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline Turkishrambo

« Reply #92 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 20:40:57 »
Youre a just a customer services rep worst nightmare. Impossible to please. nitpicks absolutely everything.

If youre that displeased with some green switches not being perfectly clicky, dont buy them again.

calling them cheap and **** is just being a flat out whiner. I would take a **** on the keyboard and send it back to you. Enjoy.

Sorry for BM but seriously man.. youre like the type of person to buy something to just test it out knowing youre likely going to send it back cus you just want to try it.

He offered you free headphones and a replacement kb and still calling them cheap. Cmon bro.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 March 2013, 20:45:53 by Turkishrambo »

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #93 on: Sat, 09 March 2013, 06:33:38 »
Hey I keep what I buy and I use it.

- I bought the keyboard in 2012. The eStore puts "in stock" when in facts it is a special Order. It took over a month to get the unit. Not happy!
- I open the box - 6 keys are not clicking. I bought Green for what they are supposed to do - Click. Even according to Cherry, non clicky Greens are considered defective.
- I call the eStore for a RMA. These guys told me can't do it... And tell me I have to call Cooler Master and get their Approval and come back with a Ticket Number- WHAT?
- I call Cooler Master - They don't provide such a ticket - Told me to use 1234
- Call back the eStore - Sorry we don't keep stock, send us your keyboard, then we are going to send it to CM and we will ship it back to you once we receive the replacement unit - WHAT?
- So called CM - To send them the keyboard directly. They agreed but not their way of doing business - I have to pay to ship it there. What?
- They finally agreed to pay for shipping.
- 20 days later - no words from CM
- Email 3 times... No response...

Then the Guy say... We're going to bundle a cheap mouse and a pad for your patience. Now I'm really pi$$ed and you bet I turn into a Rep nightmare. You don't shove a candy in my mouth to shut me up. You want to buy patience... Show some respect and give something of value. If you are not welling to do so... Don't offer anything!

You know the rest of the story... It's March 9 and I still don't have th f-ing keyboard

And you call me whiner? You know what... If the above is roll model Customer Service for you... Then go work for them. I'm sure they pay very well... (Or not)

Youre a just a customer services rep worst nightmare. Impossible to please. nitpicks absolutely everything.

If youre that displeased with some green switches not being perfectly clicky, dont buy them again.

calling them cheap and **** is just being a flat out whiner. I would take a **** on the keyboard and send it back to you. Enjoy.

Sorry for BM but seriously man.. youre like the type of person to buy something to just test it out knowing youre likely going to send it back cus you just want to try it.

He offered you free headphones and a replacement kb and still calling them cheap. Cmon bro.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 March 2013, 07:05:07 by BucklingSpring »
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #94 on: Sat, 09 March 2013, 06:52:13 »
Oh I forgot another element that ticked me off. Bull****.

According to RMA, they never heard non clicky greens before. (Some sort of pun?)
Meanwhile, an unusual amount of defective non clicky MX switches seams to have slip to the cracks in the last few batches.

But I can't blame CM for saying so. They are no different than other companies.
Rule number one, deny. When proof, say you didn't know and move on.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 March 2013, 06:56:31 by BucklingSpring »
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline Ahlitah

« Reply #95 on: Sat, 09 March 2013, 14:13:25 »
Hmm lets see who get's their replacement (mine will be a fix though, since it was limited) KB's first.

I'm still waiting for Ducky to get Green switch kb back to me after supposedly fixing it!

Sounds like CM is not much better in CS then Ducky as been to me.

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #96 on: Sat, 09 March 2013, 14:31:16 »
just a FYI - i ended up desoldering the one switch that was giving me a problem.  Once i opened it up and and reset everything back together, the switch was fine and clicked as normal.  it may be easier than waiting for a RMA or if you're out of warranty.
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline noons

« Reply #97 on: Sat, 09 March 2013, 15:27:11 »
To me this really isnt a problem with CM, but a bad batch of cherry mx switches that hit the market. Sucks, but it happens... Just think about how many switches that are produced..
Tofu65 Turquoise Tealios | Drop ALT LP Alpacas | 2X Leopold FC750R MX Brown | KUL MX Brown w/Cherry Stab MOD | Leopold FC660C BLANK | REALFORCE 87U 45G | HHKB PRO2 | Leopold TKL MX RED | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX BLUE

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #98 on: Sat, 09 March 2013, 17:16:57 »
To me this really isnt a problem with CM, but a bad batch of cherry mx switches that hit the market. Sucks, but it happens... Just think about how many switches that are produced..

CM has nothing to do with bad switches. That I agree 100%. But Cherry is not the ones putting the QC OK stamps under the keyboards. CM does.

Now I'm going to allow a "conspiracy theory". With only 68 people voting on the clicking issue Poll, I don't consider these results accurate. Still, they are showing 50% of the 2012-2013 keyboards with non clicky switches. This is a lot worst than "very rare" or "never heard" of it. No wonder nobody has any Green based keyboards in stock. Maybe the RMA rate went to the roof and the manufacture had to recall their stocks. Since this is not a public health issue, they don't have to brag about it. Of course I have no fact and this is pure speculation.

Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #99 on: Sat, 09 March 2013, 18:35:09 »
Oh crap... When I said yes to the RMA folks offering a Trigger with green instead of the QFR I had in mind the Quick Fire Pro.

I hate pretty much everything about the Trigger.
  -Huge
  -Exposed mini USB connector
  -Require additional power supply

This fugly thing will be for sale as soon as I get it.

Sigh... I should of peak at CM site before replying Yes to that question. Dammit.
Boards I own, click ->
More