Author Topic: Heavily modified CM quickfire TKL  (Read 9684 times)

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
Heavily modified CM quickfire TKL
« on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 01:04:56 »
No keycap pr0n in this thread, only barebones. This is durainello's custom CM quickfire. Instead of taking a break from weekday stresses and going out, I spent my whole Saturday building this for him. Gawd I'm such a nerd, but sometimes love it  ^-^ .

modded with
  • ergo-clear switches
  • 62g springs
  • cherry stabilizers
  • lubed with krytox GPL 103, GPL 205, victorinox
  • mx grey spacebar
  • custom TKL plate
  • stabilizers lubed, dampeners clipped
  • white LEDs
  • top switch housing drilled for LEDs

what it started out with
  • mx black switches
  • stock black springs
  • costar stabilizers
  • non switch-removable plate
  • red LEDs

« Last Edit: Sun, 10 February 2013, 19:48:05 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline durainello

• Free cheap and fast International shipping solution to fellow Singaporean.
Re: Heavily modified CM quickfire
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 07:50:29 »
There aren't enough words or ways to say how grateful I am to WFD for doing a great job and spending his Saturday to make my board looks so great.

Thanks bro.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 07:53:52 »
cool  :cool:

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 09:09:56 »
Wow...someone actually replaced Costar Stabs with Cherry stabs. I do prefer them, but I thought the majority rule here was that Costar stabs are better...

But dang, that's a nice looking board. Fancy!
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline durainello

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 09:15:58 »
I will spend more replacing broken stabilizers inserts  :p

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 10:21:29 »
Very nice. I have been working on doing something very similar with an old Chicony for fun. Also nice to see someone else has the sense to replace costar with Cherry.
Can you elaborate on how you made the in switch led on pcb that dosen't support? I figured to file a small notch in the lower housing so I could bend the legs out in a 90 degree and then just run wire under the plate above the pcb to the existing lock led pads, did you make a similar approach?

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 10:27:17 »
WFD is the man.  I've used him a couple times in the recent past and he's been awesome every single time. 
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 10:29:30 »
WFD, how do you have time for all these projects? Anyways, this looks awesome. The build came out super sexy. Can you elaborate on swapping out LEDs? I'd like to swap the blue ones in my Leopold for purple/magenta ones

Offline Sai

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 10:58:00 »
this is awesome. ! waiting for my phantom's turn to come.  :p
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 11:28:53 »
Wow...someone actually replaced Costar Stabs with Cherry stabs. I do prefer them, but I thought the majority rule here was that Costar stabs are better...

I've done a 180 as well.  Costar stabilizers are super easy to swap keycaps and do not change the feel but I prefer the cushioning of Cherry stabilizers.

Really? I find Costar stabs are harder to change the caps...My Leopold has Cherry Stabs, and I find them much more preferable to Costars.
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline Vintage

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 12:22:54 »
Wow, nice board!  :D

CM QFR w/ MX Reds  | Logitech G900

Offline Caaaarrrt

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 16:51:12 »
You drilled the switch tops of the switches with LEDs so you can still swap them without desoldering the LEDs? That's quite a good idea.
Metal Grey LZ-GH - 62g Clears | White HHKB Pro2 |KBC Poker - Lubed Reds w/ Plate and Red Imsto case | Duck PokerCM QuickFire Rapid - Blues w/ red case

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 17:13:11 »
Nice job. Just curious, how much do you charge for this service?
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
Re: Heavily modified CM quickfire TKL
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 19:55:28 »
You drilled the switch tops of the switches with LEDs so you can still swap them without desoldering the LEDs? That's quite a good idea.

The top housing where the LED sits was shaved off with a dremel. This lets you remove the stop cover while the LEDs are still installed. Basically every switch is removable, including switches with modifiers and LEDs. Here's a pic of a modded LED cover, next to an unmodded one.

Nice job. Just curious, how much do you charge for this service?

I think it was around $65 for labor, which is not much at all considering how many mods this is, how long it took, and how much my lube costs. Durainello covered all the costs of parts though. This was done more as a project, not as a business to profit.

Offline okooko

• afk.
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 20:01:43 »
Thats a reasonable price especially considering how much time that would have been spent doing this.

If only USPS shipping wasnt horribad, id have you build all my future stuffs.

Offline durainello

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 20:58:39 »
Dump all the unnecessary like the retail boxes etc , u can get a much cheaper shipping. Est us$40 to ship to Aust or SG is not considered expensive.

Offline Caaaarrrt

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 21:07:37 »

The top housing where the LED sits was shaved off with a dremel. This lets you remove the stop cover while the LEDs are still installed. Basically every switch is removable, including switches with modifiers and LEDs. Here's a pic of a modded LED cover, next to an unmodded one.

Show Image

OK thank you, that looks good, I might have a go at doing it too.
Metal Grey LZ-GH - 62g Clears | White HHKB Pro2 |KBC Poker - Lubed Reds w/ Plate and Red Imsto case | Duck PokerCM QuickFire Rapid - Blues w/ red case

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 21:38:56 »
Dump all the unnecessary like the retail boxes etc , u can get a much cheaper shipping. Est us$40 to ship to Aust or SG is not considered expensive.

When shipping a valuable keyboard so far, you'd want to make sure it was very securely packed.  There are too many stories about boxes being dropped on the corner which shatters the case.  Keycaps dislodged.  That sort of thing.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline durainello

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 21:47:32 »
That responsibility shall falls under WFD  :p, he gotta ditch the retail box and make sure it's packed like within a retail box.

Offline duq

• Connoisseur
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 22:59:14 »
Looking good wfd. Would this be your preferred setup? I have yet to try 62G switches let alone clears.

Offline cgbuen

• cgbuen.io
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 23:51:20 »
Nice, I did something similar on Friday evening too. I used cheaper lube (Superlube), heavier springs, and removed the LEDs though. I was thinking of doing something to shave off the top housing as well but I wasn't sure if the LED was too weak to be supported without that part, and I just got too lazy to even try haha. Great to see how you got it to work though, gotta try it out soon.

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 15:10:44 »
Looking good wfd. Would this be your preferred setup? I have yet to try 62G switches let alone clears.

Clears with 62g springs are like Heaven, especially when they're Gold 62g springs :)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 15:12:23 »

Clears with 62g springs are like Heaven, especially when they're Gold 62g springs :)

55g is better!
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline durainello

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 18:37:59 »
That's even lighter than brown and red?

55g is better!

Offline sordna

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 02:17:23 »
Yes 55g is a bit lighter than brown and red (whose springs bottom out at 60g).

That's even lighter than brown and red?
55g is better!
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline whiteduck

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 12:31:45 »
Can you describe the difference in switch feel between a 55g rf and these modded switches?  I have never tried clears or egroclears but have a 55g uniform rf I got a week ago that I may or may not keep.  Verdict is still out on that...
Thanks
-wd
-wd

Offline Lunartuna

• Good bye money!
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 10:01:43 »
Hope you like the grey space bar. The girlfirend is having a hard time getting used the the grey space on her Ducky because of the lower activation point than the rest of the cherry blacks on the board.
Shine 2 TKL - Choc Mini

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 11:05:51 »
Hope you like the grey space bar. The girlfirend is having a hard time getting used the the grey space on her Ducky because of the lower activation point than the rest of the cherry blacks on the board.

Holy, I've felt this grey space bar on my friend's Ducky with Blacks... I won't lie.. that space bar is really hard to work. I end up with some really long words composed multiple words.

Offline durainello

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 12:07:59 »
Trust me, keep your RF 55, it makes any cherry switches boring.  :))

Can you describe the difference in switch feel between a 55g rf and these modded switches?  I have never tried clears or egroclears but have a 55g uniform rf I got a week ago that I may or may not keep.  Verdict is still out on that...
Thanks
-wd

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:07:58 »
where is a good source for cherry stabilizers?

also would these LEDs work to swap into a Filco or QFR?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=06Oaj2cKCwE

http://lighthouseleds.com/3mm-led-red-green-blue-rainbow-ultra-bright-slow.html
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:26:48 by gameaholic »
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:33:46 »
Looks awesome! Love the white LEDs :).