Author Topic: DSLR Help  (Read 1427 times)

Offline iArson

DSLR Help
« on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 14:10:00 »
With tax returns coming in I wanted to look into a good camera for the new year :)

I currently have a Sony Cybershot but it lacks the weight, feel and picture quality of a good camera. I plan on using it mainly outside for family events, and of course for taking pictures of keyboard related things :D

If anyone can steer me in the right direction, or just simply pick one for me I would be greatly appreciative!

Offline bavman

Re: DSLR Help
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 14:50:03 »
What kinda budget are you looking at?

Offline iArson

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 14:54:58 »
What kinda budget are you looking at?

I don't think I would want to spend over $600. I will go over that budget if it warrants it though :D

Offline Malphas

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 15:53:28 »
Again I'd opt for MILC over SLR, especially with that budget. A Micro 4/3 or similar camera will be superior dollar for dollar than a SLR. The only reason - in my opinion - to consider a budget DSLR (which I'd consider to be anything less than a 6D) is for learning with, before moving up to a high-end model.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 February 2013, 15:55:47 by Malphas »

Offline iArson

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 16:09:23 »
Hmm I'm having a hard time even finding one. Is my budget too low for a DSLR?

Offline Malphas

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 16:28:26 »
In my opinion, yes. The lower tier DSLR's aren't worth considering over good quality point-and-shoots or MILCs other than as learning tools.

Offline okooko

• afk.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 16:52:53 »
In my opinion, yes. The lower tier DSLR's aren't worth considering over good quality point-and-shoots or MILCs other than as learning tools.

Yerp. I wouldnt bother with a kit around the 1k mark, you might as well use your phone or until you can afford something better.
The lowest I'd go is a 60D or the nikon equivalent

Offline compgeke

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 00:38:10 »
A 2nd hand Canon T2i with the kit lens (or EF 50mm f/1.8) and a cheap EF 80-200mm USM III will come out less than or right close to $600, and it's not exactly a "sucky camera". One thing I can't stress enough is Megapixels does NOT mean high quality, Megapixels means larger image. This is the same reason the Canon 1D-C is only 18 MP while the 5D Mk III is 22 MP, and the 1D-C is a top-of-the-line while the 5D is a fairly high end camera, but not one that you have to sell your children for.

I'm personally still managing to survive with a Canon EOS 300D (yeah 2003!) with the EF 50mm f/1.8 and the EF 80-200mm USM III, which isn't a very good camera by today's standards, but despite horrible low-light performance it still takes better pictures than 95% of point-and-shoot cameras\phones I've seen.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 13:36:24 »
The 550D/T2i (and your 300D) aren't as good as high end non-SLR cameras that cost a similar sum though, is the point. My point is if you specifically need/want an SLR for some particular reason then fine, but if your goal is to take good photos then automatically assuming that a DSLR is the way to go is a common mistake.