Author Topic: New Guy  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
New Guy
« on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 00:28:39 »
Hey guys.  New guy here from Iowa.  Here is a little bit about me (will post questions in the proper section). 

Spent 5 years in the US Navy as an Aviation Structural Mechanic on H-60 Sea Hawks.  Which was where I really started getting into computers.  Started with a pre-built E-machines system purchased from Best Buy.  It was a decent computer but when I upgraded the video card it started having massive random restarts and shut downs.  Turns out it was a combination of 2 things.  I am not sure which was the bigger cuprit on this as both issues were feeding each other.  Lack of decent air flow and way to small of a power supply.  Had a local shop upgrade the PSU and move everything to a clear acyrlic case and from there on i did everything myself. 

Currently out of the service and working as a Union Millwright for a local contractor installing a new mold line at the John Deere Foundry a couple minutes from my house.

Hobbies include: computer, loud rock music when the wife and kids aren't home, mountain biking, and catapults.

And not sure if I am the only one but when I first tried to create my account here I actually got the security question wrong.  Was under the premise that the port that the question was refering to was specific to mice and keyboards.

Melvang
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: New Guy
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 03:01:44 »
Welcome to geekhack!

A few people have commented on the security question - perhaps the admins are preparing a new one.

Hope you enjoy your stay :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 07:38:56 »
This is a good forum.

There are a multitude of projects going on at any given time. If you have access to a good shop, there may be people hitting on you to make stuff for them.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 12:20:08 »
Sorry guys but if you saw the one shop i have available to me you wouldn't want anyone to work on electronics in there let alone any board of this caliber.

Melvang
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich