Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3554922 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #5600 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 16:35:37 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5601 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 17:11:26 »
so does cherry not make cherry stabilizers??

Offline fourzeropooh

« Reply #5602 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 17:22:24 »
Where is the actuation point on topre 45g and 55g switches? And is the leopold f660c 45g or 55g?

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #5603 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 17:27:04 »
Where is the actuation point on topre 45g and 55g switches? And is the leopold f660c 45g or 55g?

Not sure about your first question, but the Leo is 45g.

Offline fourzeropooh

« Reply #5604 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 18:29:58 »

Thank you. That is the same with the HHKB right?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5605 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 18:31:18 »

Thank you. That is the same with the HHKB right?

Yes

But some of us have modded them with 55g domes.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #5606 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 18:33:26 »
After some research I think I want to buy these, I want to know if anyone knows if there would be anything wrong with putting these on a poker.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-x-LED-3mm-UV-Purple-Ultra-Bright-Round-Top-LEDs-Light-Lamp-RC-Car-PC-T1-/151022044759?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23299d8657

Specs are as follows:

Size   3mm Round Top Clear
Luminosity/Brightness   2,000-3,000 mcd
Forward Voltage   3.0-3.4v
Current   20mA
Wavelength   395-405nm
Viewing Angle   20-30 Degrees
Mount Style   Through Hole (DIP)
Another thing to consider is possible eye damage from UV leds, most led equip t devices warn to avoid looking directly at the led light source.
That doesn't sound good.. Although I would probably only use the leds every now and then.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #5607 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 19:33:27 »
I have searched Geekhack, but I am having some trouble finding a good Model M bolt mod thread with pictures and detailed instructions.  Could anybody point me towards a good bolt mod/rivet replacement thread?
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline yjfknt

« Reply #5608 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 19:34:13 »
Have anyone tried dental rubberband on MX switches? I want to go back to my old dentist for some if it works.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5609 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 19:39:01 »
Have anyone tried dental rubberband on MX switches? I want to go back to my old dentist for some if it works.

Most people use orings or landing pads with MX.

Offline fourzeropooh

« Reply #5610 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 19:48:50 »

I have. They aren't as good because they are thinner, but they slightly work. I use 3/16 size ones

Offline jadow

« Reply #5611 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 05:21:17 »
has any1 tried opening a cmstorm pro ? there seems to be a hidden screw somewhere...

EDIT: found why. there were tabs in the faceplate
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 December 2013, 07:09:18 by jadow »

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #5612 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 16:07:55 »
More
Is there some place where I can buy small amounts (e.g. 0.5oz vs. 1lb) of Krytox GPL 103? Searches turn up a number of past group-buys.

Is there a reason you're set on GPL103? You can use this lube kit from Sheraton which will work fine for lubing your keyboard.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm already aware of those kits. I realize now that I should have asked a different question:

I already have GPL 205 and I'm looking for an oil that can be mixed with it. I've heard that GPL 103 mixes well with it, but it's not readily available. Is there another oil that people would recommend mixing with GPL 205 that's more easily acquired?
It turns out that Miller-Stephenson sells 1/2 oz. bottles of GPL 103, though ordering involves actually calling them and requires a company name because "they won't sell to individuals". I gave them the name of my employer and used my personal card. Total was $21 plus shipping.

http://www.miller-stephenson.com/

More of answering my own questions:

Since I found GPL 103 through Miller-Stephenson, it's become available on eBay here for a better price. The same seller has Krytox GPL 205 available, which means your own personal stash of godly switch lubricant is only about $50 away.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5613 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 00:26:08 »
I have searched Geekhack, but I am having some trouble finding a good Model M bolt mod thread with pictures and detailed instructions.  Could anybody point me towards a good bolt mod/rivet replacement thread?

I like this bolt mod Wiki.

Harry talks about bolt modding an F here.

Ripster's bolt mod guide can be found here.

so does cherry not make cherry stabilizers??

They do. I mean they're called out in the Cherry Datasheet. They're called "leveling kits".

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #5614 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 15:07:43 »
I just received 100 MX White switches. I know that the defect rate is high with these, so the first thing I did was separate them into properly-clicking and dampened-or-not-clicking piles. To my dismay, more than half don't click properly!

Is this high of a defect rate usual for whites, or did I get particularly unlucky? Only 46 clicked consistently – much softer than blues, but a nice, distinct click. I was really hoping that 100 switches had plenty of wiggle room to outfit a 60% board, but this barely gives me the base set :mad:.

Anyways, I'm hoping that scavenging the clickiest of the inconsistent ones and lubing all of them normalizes the click a bit.

Offline fourzeropooh

« Reply #5615 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 15:12:04 »
I just received 100 MX White switches. I know that the defect rate is high with these, so the first thing I did was separate them into properly-clicking and dampened-or-not-clicking piles. To my dismay, more than half don't click properly!

Is this high of a defect rate usual for whites, or did I get particularly unlucky? Only 46 clicked consistently – much softer than blues, but a nice, distinct click. I was really hoping that 100 switches had plenty of wiggle room to outfit a 60% board, but this barely gives me the base set :mad:.

Anyways, I'm hoping that scavenging the clickiest of the inconsistent ones and lubing all of them normalizes the click a bit.

Why do whites have this high of a defect rate? What kind of design does it have?

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #5616 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 15:15:08 »
More

Is this high of a defect rate usual for whites, or did I get particularly unlucky? Only 46 clicked consistently – much softer than blues, but a nice, distinct click. I was really hoping that 100 switches had plenty of wiggle room to outfit a 60% board, but this barely gives me the base set :mad:.

Why do whites have this high of a defect rate? What kind of design does it have?

Whites have 2-part sliders like blues or greens, but I have no clue what the difference is between a clicking one and a defect. I took two apart to compare them but couldn't identify any noticeable difference in either the slider or the bottom housing.

Offline fourzeropooh

« Reply #5617 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 15:17:10 »
More

Whites have 2-part sliders like blues or greens, but I have no clue what the difference is between a clicking one and a defect. I took two apart to compare them but couldn't identify any noticeable difference in either the slider or the bottom housing.

That doesn't make sense  :confused:
If they are like blues they shouldn't be that broken  :-\

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5618 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 15:19:26 »
Whites are factory lubed. That seems to be the problem.

Offline fourzeropooh

« Reply #5619 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 15:23:20 »
Whites are factory lubed. That seems to be the problem.

Why would they prelube them? Do they use kytox or some other formula?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #5620 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 15:29:22 »

Whites are not supposed to click as much as greens/blues, their click gets called a soft click. So the ones that click are the "defect" ones. Also the ones that make no click at all.

Why would they prelube them? Do they use kytox or some other formula?

To dampen the click sound. They have the same spring as greens so the only difference to them is that the whites make a different sound.

I don't think the lube they use is known. Captain even recently mentioned somewhere that he thinks that whites are actually not lubed and something else causes the difference in sound.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 December 2013, 15:34:10 by BlueBär »

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #5621 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 15:32:34 »
Sounds like you would have better results lubing greens blindfolded..

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #5622 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 15:56:59 »

Whites are not supposed to click as much as greens/blues, their click gets called a soft click. So the ones that click are the "defect" ones. Also the ones that make no click at all.

Hmm… I didn't consider that. I was thinking that the ones with a distinctive click were still considerably softer than blues or greens, but I was making the big mistake of testing blues/greens with keycaps on and whites without. The keycaps make the clicks much louder, and when taking them off the clicky whites sound almost exactly the same as greens.

Taking them apart, it doesn't appear that there's any lube in them, but I'm going to play around with krytox mixes and see if I can bring them all down to the level of the soft-clicking ones.

Thanks!

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #5623 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 20:00:58 »
What grade aluminum is the KMAC 2?

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #5624 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 22:01:34 »
Is there a bro bots wiki? I couldnt find it in search. Would like to know all V1 colors and how many were made/sold (tech keys right) for each color.

Thanks!

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #5625 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 06:34:13 »
When mounting pcb cherry switches, how do you get them to all be perfectly centered? What Im saying is...a pcb mount switch can twist and wiggle little bit when inserted into the pcb even with the legs "secure" in the pcb holes. In contrast, plate mounted switches snap into the plate ensuring a uniform mounting.

I tried to swap switches on a pcb mount numpad. When I was all done, there were tiny variances in how they were mounted...causing some keys to appear to be tilting (more like swiveling, actually) to the left or the right. I didnt even notice it until they were all soldered and the keycaps were on. But it looked very bad.

Oh and merry christmas!
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 December 2013, 07:49:58 by zoolzoo »
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #5626 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 07:02:44 »
I tried to swap switches on a pcb mount numpad. When I was all done, there were tiny variances in how they were mounted...causing some keys to appear to be tilting (more like swiveling, actually) to the left or the right. I didnt even notice it until they were all soldered and the keycaps were on. But it looked very bad.

I would suggest taking a ruler and some tape to get them all aligned and then solder them after they're all in the right position. You won't get them all perfectly aligned but you will probably get better results.

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #5627 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 09:00:48 »

I would suggest taking a ruler and some tape to get them all aligned and then solder them after they're all in the right position. You won't get them all perfectly aligned but you will probably get better results.

I actually think it was the pcb I was using. I just mounted some onto a different pcb and I didnt run into this issue. weird.
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #5628 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 09:19:16 »
Is there a bro bots wiki? I couldnt find it in search. Would like to know all V1 colors and how many were made/sold (tech keys right) for each color.

Thanks!

Not yet. Maybe you could team up with bro caps and make one!
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #5629 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 10:03:32 »
I actually think it was the pcb I was using. I just mounted some onto a different pcb and I didnt run into this issue. weird.

Maybe the holes for the pins that PCB mounted switches have are slightly bigger?

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #5630 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 10:29:36 »

Thanks!

Thank You!

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
    • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #5631 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 12:05:09 »
boilermaker might have that information in his records... brocaps and boilermaker would have to approve of this though.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5632 on: Fri, 27 December 2013, 20:07:38 »

Hmm… I didn't consider that. I was thinking that the ones with a distinctive click were still considerably softer than blues or greens, but I was making the big mistake of testing blues/greens with keycaps on and whites without. The keycaps make the clicks much louder, and when taking them off the clicky whites sound almost exactly the same as greens.

Taking them apart, it doesn't appear that there's any lube in them, but I'm going to play around with krytox mixes and see if I can bring them all down to the level of the soft-clicking ones.

Thanks!

I agree with this. I didn't see any lube in the MX White switches I took apart. I no longer believe that the MX Whites have extra lube in them from the factory.

6061 I believe.

Thanks!

Thank You!

There isn't one at the moment. I created a V2 list but there isn't a V1 list yet. As domoaligato said, we'd have to check with Bro Caps to see what information he's willing to divulge if we were to make a list of how many caps were made per color.

« Last Edit: Fri, 27 December 2013, 20:09:13 by CPTBadAss »

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #5633 on: Sat, 28 December 2013, 01:59:56 »

Thanks!

I agree with this. I didn't see any lube in the MX White switches I took apart. I no longer believe that the MX Whites have extra lube in them from the factory.

6061 I believe.

Thanks!

Thank You!

There isn't one at the moment. I created a V2 list but there isn't a V1 list yet. As domoaligato said, we'd have to check with Bro Caps to see what information he's willing to divulge if we were to make a list of how many caps were made per color.

Thatd be awesome! I have asked a couple times in threads but never a PM. I wonder if he will give us a list.  :thumb:

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #5634 on: Sat, 28 December 2013, 18:52:20 »
I don't know where to ask this question, so I will ask it here...  Please tell me to take it somewhere else if it is not a simple question.

A friend of mine at the office has been using my QFR with blues.  Today he showed me that some of the key presses are not registering.  The ones that are really noticeable are: 5, t, b and left alt.  I noticed right away that 5, t, b are probably on the same matrix line.  Left alt is another story, but that key gets used a lot because he is using the keyboard on a mac (so its his command key).

So to the question.  How do I troubleshoot the problem?  I am guessing there is a problem with a couple solder joints are something like that.  It works a lot of the time, but periodically it misses a key press.  Some of those keys are worse than others.  Should I unsolder those switches and then resolder them and see if that fixes the problem?  Anything I can test with a multimeter which would help diagnose where the problem stems from?

Figured I would post back for other peoples benefit on this one...

I checked and I was past my warranty by about 2 weeks, so I opened it up to see if I could fix it.  I have to say I was not impressed with what I saw.  I don't think I saw a single shiny solder joint, they were all a matte grey.  Before I opened up I checked and I had about a 10% hit rate on B and about an 80% hit rate on 4 other keys.  I solder pulled the 5 bad keys so I could flux and resolder them to see if that would fix the problem.  Of the 5 switches I unsoldered, 2 of them had pad issues.  One pad lifted and was broken, but I was able to gently put it back in place and with a crap ton of flux was able to get a nice solder joint on it.  The other was a different story altogether.  When I first looked at the joint I kinda scratched my head and thought 'that looks funny'.  It was like there was a small air hole on one side of the solder joint.  I thought, 'whatever, its a crap solder job, I will just resolder it'.  I solder pulled it and realized that not only was the pad broken, it was missing a piece.  That is why it looked like it had an air hole because there was no pad on the hole, so the solder did not spread to that side of the hole.  Obviously, with only half a pad, I really lifted that pad.  I was able to wrap the pad back around the switch leg and solder it back on, but it was ugly.  We will see how long it lasts...

All to say, I am VERY disappointed with the quality of this QFR.  I have no idea how something like this gets through QC.  I have no idea how so many people have modded a QFR.  How many of you had to do some direct wiring after unsoldering it?

Anyway, to make a long story short(er), resoldering the switches fixed the problems with all the switches, so it is back to good (for now).  I know I am going to have to resolder a bunch more switches after seeing that solder job, but I don't want to just do them all right now because of how bad the pads are.  This is probably going to be one of those boards I just fix slowly as it breaks.  :)

Thanks for all the suggestions on this...

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #5635 on: Sat, 28 December 2013, 19:03:47 »
Thanks for the information, swill! FWIW, I've completely desoldered and replaced the switches on my QFR twice and haven't had any issues with pads lifting, etc. I don't plan to do any more work on it at this point, but I'll be more wary and careful with other QFR PCBs in the future.

Offline Mysteric

• Formerly 'Mackem'
« Reply #5636 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 13:17:43 »
Is it possible to remap the right Menu context key on a Filco / other mech to act as a Function key? Basically I want to replicate the QFR multimedia keys on a Filco (Fn key and F5 (Play/Pause), F6 (Stop), F7 (Back), F8 (Forward) etc.)

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #5637 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 13:20:58 »
Is it possible to remap the right Menu context key on a Filco / other mech to act as a Function key? Basically I want to replicate the QFR multimedia keys on a Filco (Fn key and F5 (Play/Pause), F6 (Stop), F7 (Back), F8 (Forward) etc.)

That should be possible via AutoHotKey.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #5638 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 13:29:22 »

That should be possible via AutoHotKey.

Or one of bpiphany's replacement controllers. Such as the Pegasus Hoof or HID Liberation Device, for Filco, for example.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Mysteric

• Formerly 'Mackem'
« Reply #5639 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 13:31:58 »
I have no experience in using AutoHotKey. Is it easy enough to do?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #5640 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 13:42:31 »
I have no experience in using AutoHotKey. Is it easy enough to do?

There's a few tutorials, it should be fairly easy to do. Something like this should work:
Code: [Select]
AppsKey&F12::Media_Play_Pause

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #5641 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 20:28:13 »
Desko keyboard have abs keycaps or pbt keycaps?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5642 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 20:37:09 »

I think it depends on the models. Kind of like how Cherry keyboards are. I'm fairly sure they come in both ABS and PBT. I've seen Desko's at the airport that are ultra shiny so they *must* be ABS. And I think the white color Desko boards are PBT. I'm just taking an educated guess though.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #5643 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 20:53:49 »

I think CPT is right, both ABS and PBT, but that one famous set is PBT, with the sublegends and famous RGB.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5644 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 22:45:43 »

So you are saying mx whites are not factory lubed?

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
« Reply #5645 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 22:46:53 »

So you are saying mx whites are not factory lubed?

If they still do, then it must be incredibly hard to notice. He's saying he doesn't believe that they are.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #5646 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 23:44:25 »
What screws/bolts are most common for holding PCBs to their cases?  Would a 4-40 be the most common?  If not, what should I be looking for?  In this case I am tapping my own holes, so I have some control over the size of my screws/bolts.

I see on all of the PCB diagrams that there are dimensions for everything except the holes.  Without the dimensions of the holes it is really hard to know what size screws/bolts to use. 

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #5647 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 23:45:47 »
What screws/bolts are most common for holding PCBs to their cases?  Would a 4-40 be the most common?  If not, what should I be looking for?  In this case I am tapping my own holes, so I have some control over the size of my screws/bolts.

I see on all of the PCB diagrams that there are dimensions for everything except the holes.  Without the dimensions of the holes it is really hard to know what size screws/bolts to use.

Poker case and 60% case screws can be found here

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/3019/=q10hon

#92000A011

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #5648 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 00:00:10 »

Poker case and 60% case screws can be found here

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/3019/=q10hon

#92000A011

So in this case it is not a 4-40:
"18-8 Stainless Steel Metric Pan Head Phillips Machine Screw, M2 Size, 4mm Length, .4mm Pitch"

Hmmm, are most cases different then or is this a pretty common screw for most cases?

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #5649 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 12:01:12 »
what difference Filco Majestouch 2 and ninja? just keycap?
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"