Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3554250 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #8800 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 19:08:30 »
PBT warps easily

Wait, what? Do you mean ABS?

I have boiled PBT caps in dye for half an hour with no harm.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #8801 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 19:09:24 »
PBT warps easily

No pbt warps really easily.. that's why they tend to come bent. They are heat resistant but they warp
I love Elzy

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #8802 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 19:10:06 »
PBT warps easily

No pbt warps really easily.. that's why they tend to come bent. They are heat resistant but they warp

specifically when its fully melted and being cooled

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8803 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 21:21:38 »
PBT warps easily

Pretty sure it's due to how the material cools and shrinkage that causes the warping.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #8804 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 21:30:08 »
Man how I hate shrinkage.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #8805 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 22:07:41 »
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #8806 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 22:38:58 »
PBT warps easily

Pretty sure it's due to how the material cools and shrinkage that causes the warping.

Yup PBT has a much higher thermal expansion coefficient than ABS, hence the warping.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline nukec

• that rug really tied the room together
« Reply #8807 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 04:04:07 »

60% alu plate anywhere in stock?

Does it have to be aluminum? I think Imsto has some stainless steel plates as well. But I'm not sure I've seen many aluminum 60% plates.

Edit: I can't read. See BlueBar's post above about Imsto's stock :(

imsto has them out of stock, no matter it says 280 available. i've sent an email to gonskeyboardworks though, waiting reply. do you know any difference between the types of anodizing here? soft and hard? http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/accessaries/17-universal-frameplate-for-60.html are there any pictures with differences?
HHKB Pro2, Poker2 Blue, KBPV60 Brown, DuckyShine3 Brown

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8808 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 04:17:15 »
imsto has them out of stock, no matter it says 280 available. i've sent an email to gonskeyboardworks though, waiting reply. do you know any difference between the types of anodizing here? soft and hard? http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/accessaries/17-universal-frameplate-for-60.html are there any pictures with differences?

Hard anodizing is more scratch resistant than soft anodizing. As you can see on his site you can only get a gray plate if you want hard anodizing.

Offline nukec

• that rug really tied the room together
« Reply #8809 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 05:05:29 »
thanks, i will go with silver soft

btw is there any generator for these sexy keyboards in signature: ?
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 July 2014, 05:10:18 by nukec »
HHKB Pro2, Poker2 Blue, KBPV60 Brown, DuckyShine3 Brown

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8810 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 05:55:12 »
thanks, i will go with silver soft

btw is there any generator for these sexy keyboards in signature:
Show Image
?

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=19113.0
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #8811 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 16:49:41 »
Are the classifieds the only way to obtain KMAC's today? In an e-mail, Sheraton told me DIY kits were gone indefinitely due to no more availability.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #8812 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 16:51:07 »
IIRC they sell them on KBDlab but you have to get a proxy
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #8813 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 16:52:03 »
IIRC they sell them on KBDlab but you have to get a proxy
Oh cool, thanks TS! :)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #8814 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 16:53:13 »
it's pretty weird though, so don't freak out if you have a hard time getting one

and between you and me i've always liked GON boards a lot more

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #8815 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 17:00:46 »
it's pretty weird though, so don't freak out if you have a hard time getting one

He was next on my list actually, the allure of the korean custom has really hit me hard lately, haha.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8816 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 17:19:47 »

I like KMACs more than GONs but both are solid. And yeah, classifieds are the only way to grab them at this point.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8818 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 17:30:16 »
is this cherry or are they just saying that?
http://bit.ly/1jUqgDJ

Could be, but I've never seen an old Cherry board with spherical caps. And they didn't take a picture of the switches so it's hard to say for sure.

Offline BlueBär

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #8820 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 18:18:48 »
are there that many Korean customs brands? i know of KMAC, GON, LZ, 356 and Duck. anyone else i'm missing?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8821 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 18:21:58 »
are there that many Korean customs brands? i know of KMAC, GON, LZ, 356 and Duck. anyone else i'm missing?

Wouldn't really call those brands but rather series. There's more boards from OTD than just the 356 (456GT for example).

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #8822 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 18:32:01 »

Wouldn't really call those brands but rather series. There's more boards from OTD than just the 356 (456GT for example).

yeah

there are too many to list really

like all 5-6 KMAC versions (2.1 now?)

or all of Duck's boards and all the incarnations of the duck poker

you've basically got the gist of it really

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8823 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 18:36:18 »
Could be, but I've never seen an old Cherry board with spherical caps.

I have bought old typewriters and keyboards with "+" or "cross" shaped stems, only to discover that they are significantly too big and/or fat to work on modern Cherry keyboards.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #8824 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 18:42:04 »
wow, the 456GT looks filthy good, but then i have yet to see a bad looking Korean board. this might be a naive question, but do Korean "manufacturers" incorporate public opinion/feedback into their creations? i'm wondering if, say, i get a group of people to lobby for a Duck MX-MINI board hard enough, will he design one or is it just wishful thinking?

side queston: do you guys have experience with both side LEDs and in-switch LEDs, and if you could only choose one which will it be? i'm not sure if inswitch LEDs/backlighting are very useful when i spend most of my computer time at night/in a dark room. the plus side is that they are very photogenic, they have that wow factor that you can impress people with (a big motivator for splashing the cash on an expensive keyboard, heh), and you can just turn them off when you want to

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8825 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 18:44:57 »
1) Do Korean "manufacturers" incorporate public opinion/feedback into their creations?

2) I'm wondering if, say, i get a group of people to lobby for a Duck MX-MINI board hard enough, will he design one or is it just wishful thinking?

3) Do you guys have experience with both side LEDs and in-switch LEDs?

1) They might from the Korean forums. The thing is, the Korean forums operate very differently from say Geekhack and Deskthority. A lot of it is hidden from non-Koreans and a lot of the boards can only be bought in GBs through the the closed areas in their froums.

2) You can try contacting duck0113 and asking him. I know Kaliet will do custom commissions. See Binge's 2TU.

3) What's a "side LED"? Like how Sifo has the LEDs in his GON?

« Last Edit: Sat, 05 July 2014, 18:49:19 by CPTBadAss »

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8826 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 18:48:20 »
1. this might be a naive question, but do Korean "manufacturers" incorporate public opinion/feedback into their creations?
2. i'm wondering if, say, i get a group of people to lobby for a Duck MX-MINI board hard enough, will he design one or is it just wishful thinking?
3. do you guys have experience with both side LEDs and in-switch LEDs, and if you could only choose one which will it be?

1. Kind of, some Korean keyboard, I can't remember which, got some recessed parts in it's case in a later version due to people complaining that they couldn't pick them up very well because of it's weight and it not having something you could use as a grip.
2. Rather not, maybe if you get a lot of people, not sure.
3. I don't know what you mean with side LEDs. All current MX boards with backlighting use the slots in the switches afaik.

Sniped!

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #8827 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 19:04:27 »
1. that's cool, but seems like GH doesn't have a lot of say there unless a creator comes here asking for feedback, which i've never seen happen before, and i've read a decent amount of old threads on this board

2. so it's like organizing an IC -> GB in a way? there's no way i can do that. i don't know much about 2TU except that it's a 60% board which doesn't interest me, but i'll check it out

3. by side LEDs i mean the light emanating from the 4 sides of the board, like Sifo's board, this NerD GON by yuiop with the green glow

or this Duck Orion which radiates a very vivid red

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8828 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 19:13:46 »
1. that's cool, but seems like GH doesn't have a lot of say there unless a creator comes here asking for feedback, which i've never seen happen before, and i've read a decent amount of old threads on this board

2. so it's like organizing an IC -> GB in a way? there's no way i can do that. i don't know much about 2TU except that it's a 60% board which doesn't interest me, but i'll check it out

3. by side LEDs i mean the light emanating from the 4 sides of the board, like Sifo's board, this NerD GON by yuiop with the green glow

Show Image

or this Duck Orion which radiates a very vivid red

Show Image

1) Again, see my previous response. We have very little say on the Korean forums.

2) It's like emailing duck0113 or Kaliet and asking them if they'd make you a one off. If you wanted to do a GB, which you don't, that'd be the same process. Just on a larger scale. And a side note, one off customs can be pricey.

3) Those have in switch LEDs and then either a clear case or holes cut into the case to allow LEDs to shine out of the sides or bottom. It's not a in-switch vs "side". It's inswitch + "side".

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #8829 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 19:44:38 »
2. i think "can be pricey" is probably understatement :) after all, you'd be owning the only model of it in the world. didn't know you could do this though, i very much appreciate the info

3. GON's MX-MINI board has options for either side LEDs or in-switch LEDs so i naturally assumed that they are independent of each other. the more you know~

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8830 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 19:46:15 »
2. i think "can be pricey" is probably understatement :) after all, you'd be owning the only model of it in the world. didn't know you could do this though, i very much appreciate the info

I think Photekq said his TEK-80 cost 500 pounds to machine total? If that helps give you a price range. I was given a quote of $3000 for a 60% aluminum case.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #8831 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 19:48:51 »

I think Photekq said his TEK-80 cost 500 pounds to machine total? If that helps give you a price range. I was given a quote of $3000 for a 60% aluminum case.
500£ including materials, laser cutting and anodising. The machining was £250 i think.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #8832 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 19:56:14 »

1. we've done customs before but i think the skeldon had only 5 buyers (i think i can name all of them too...)

2. it's more than that, it's about communicating with a shop, knowing who's reputable in terms of PCB manufacturing/machining other things, and handling extra costs

3. ask GON in his forum, he's very active there

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #8833 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 20:23:44 »
No, side LEDs are either SMD (for NerD specifically it has SMD LED spots), or you hand wire LEDs and position them underneath the PCB, it's completely separate from in switch.
I love Elzy

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8834 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 20:25:10 »
No, side LEDs are either SMD (for NerD specifically it has SMD LED spots), or you hand wire LEDs and position them underneath the PCB, it's completely separate from in switch.

Right, I just meant that you can use the same LED to create that effect. Like how you have 2x3x4 LEDs for your in-switch and then bent to create the side lighting effect on your GON.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #8835 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 20:25:45 »
My GON is a horrible example that thing is so poorly done, if I ever get a chance to I will re do it now that I'm more experienced ;P
I love Elzy

Offline Rena

« Reply #8836 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 11:06:33 »
What's a good set of 104 pbt keycaps (for a filco mj2)? I'm just looking for something as cheap as possible but still good quality.

These look nice, but they're kind of expensive: http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=773

I was probably just going to get these, despite the ugly font: http://m.ebay.com/itm/Vortex-Green-Double-Shot-Thick-PBT-104-Keyset-Cherry-MX-Keycaps-/231099852343

Any suggestions?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8837 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 11:08:01 »
What's a good set of 104 pbt keycaps (for a filco mj2)? I'm just looking for something as cheap as possible but still good quality.

These look nice, but they're kind of expensive: http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=773

I was probably just going to get these, despite the ugly font: http://ebay.com/itm/Vortex-Green-Double-Shot-Thick-PBT-104-Keyset-Cherry-MX-Keycaps-/231099852343

Any suggestions?

The Vortex doubleshots are probably your best bet for cheap and still good. If you're willing to spend money, I suggest trying to find a set of BSP PBT.

Offline Rena

« Reply #8838 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 11:13:55 »
Just searched those up and they do look nice. If I can find them for a decent price I'll consider them. Thanks

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #8839 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 11:15:32 »

I was probably just going to get these, despite the ugly font: http://m.ebay.com/itm/Vortex-Green-Double-Shot-Thick-PBT-104-Keyset-Cherry-MX-Keycaps-/231099852343

Any suggestions?

I agree with CPT. You can probably find some vortex doubleshots in the classifieds for 35-40$.

You might be able to find some thick cherry dye sub IMSTOs for 65-70$.

I am still using imsto pbt caps on my daily driver.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #8840 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 11:32:06 »

I was probably just going to get these, despite the ugly font: http://ebay.com/itm/Vortex-Green-Double-Shot-Thick-PBT-104-Keyset-Cherry-MX-Keycaps-/231099852343

Any suggestions?

The Vortex doubleshots are probably your best bet for cheap and still good. If you're willing to spend money, I suggest trying to find a set of BSP PBT.

he said for a filco 104

but BSP is still the best

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8841 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 12:01:15 »
he said for a filco 104

What are you referring to? Don't both Vortex and BSP come in 104?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #8842 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 12:16:02 »
he said for a filco 104

what

BSP doesn't make 1.25x mods

this is common knowledge

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8843 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 12:16:31 »

this is common knowledge

I didn't know that.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #8844 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 12:57:42 »
 :))
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #8845 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 12:58:26 »

what

this is common knowledge

I though everone knew that  :))

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8846 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 15:11:28 »
I figured there were older vintage boards that had BSP 1.25x mods. Guess not.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #8847 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 15:54:10 »
What SA-profile sets exist that support ErgoDox?
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #8848 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 16:01:44 »

23 Commando at least.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #8849 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 16:48:57 »

Penumbra as well