Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3555012 times)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #9350 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 19:40:45 »
Thanks for the help JD and CPT.  I was able to fix the problem.  The stabilizer wires that I was using was about 1.6mm thick.  I switched the stabilizer wire to one that was only 1.45mm thick and everything is buttery now.  Apparently the tolerance on the spacing on the PCB is so tight that the 1.6mm wire didn't give enough play for the stabilizer to move freely in the housing. I couldn't really tell when I was just playing with them with my hands, but once the keycaps on it was very obvious.  Something to keep in mind anyway...

Weird, doesn't Cherry's spec say 1.6mm? Glad that it works now.

I did read that somewhere as well. I think that is the max size though. The 1.45mm ones are still big enough to clip into the base. I can take pictures to show the difference tonight.

Offline ajx

« Reply #9351 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 20:10:30 »
Wondering if KBT race layout seems to be practical?
Ducky Shine 3 TKL vs KBT Race 2
which one does provide better quality overall?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9352 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 20:44:33 »
1) Wondering if KBT race layout seems to be practical?

2) Ducky Shine 3 TKL vs KBT Race 2
which one does provide better quality overall?

1) If we're referring to the old KBT Race, I like the 75% layout. Will it work for you? That's for you to decide.

2) I prefer Ducky products over KBT. Thicker PCB for easier modding, I like the case better (I feel the plastic is thicker and I like the heft), and the Shine 3 has a lot of nice lighting mods. But this is very subjective and you'll have to decide for yourself.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #9353 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 23:59:13 »
Thanks for the help JD and CPT.  I was able to fix the problem.  The stabilizer wires that I was using was about 1.6mm thick.  I switched the stabilizer wire to one that was only 1.45mm thick and everything is buttery now.  Apparently the tolerance on the spacing on the PCB is so tight that the 1.6mm wire didn't give enough play for the stabilizer to move freely in the housing. I couldn't really tell when I was just playing with them with my hands, but once the keycaps on it was very obvious.  Something to keep in mind anyway...

Weird, doesn't Cherry's spec say 1.6mm? Glad that it works now.

I did read that somewhere as well. I think that is the max size though. The 1.45mm ones are still big enough to clip into the base. I can take pictures to show the difference tonight.

Tonight I replaced all of the 1.6mm wires with 1.45mm wires on this board and it is beautiful now.  I took the opportunity to swap out the caps and put my penumbra set on it as well.  Now that I have no mushy keys, I am really starting to enjoy this board.  Its a 75% with ergo clears (62g).  I may switch it to 65g springs at some point, but for now this is good enough.  Thanks for all the help with the stab questions...

Offline Senthura

• Your Doom
« Reply #9354 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 18:26:44 »
Is there a TKL keyboard with Cherry Greens other than CM in stock somewhere that I can get in the USA? PM or link me is fine. I like Blues and all, but yeah…

Also, why are switches like Greens and Clears so hard to find?
Ducky Shine 3 TKL Blue switch & Green backlight

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9355 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 18:35:06 »
1) Is there a TKL keyboard with Cherry Greens other than CM in stock somewhere that I can get in the USA?

2) Why are switches like Greens and Clears so hard to find?

1) WASD Code keyboards come in MX Greens or Clears. Dunno of anything else off the top of my head.

2) They're actually easy to find if you're willing to mod the keyboard yourself or pay someone to mod them. Mechanicalkeyboards.com stocks the switches. However, I think most in the mainstream aren't interested in these  switch types so they're not in many stock keyboards.

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #9356 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 01:43:20 »
Question: is there an off-the-shelf programmable controller for the Poker II? To buy and plug in without hassle? Or is it more complicated?

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #9357 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 01:55:45 »
Question: is there an off-the-shelf programmable controller for the Poker II? To buy and plug in without hassle?
No.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline jorgenslee

« Reply #9358 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 09:53:50 »
Does someone know the part I need to replace the scroll wheel of my Wireless Anker Vertical mouse?

Offline EpicSNES

• how do i keyboard
« Reply #9359 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 12:39:10 »
Anyone know if the WASD custom art ABS keycaps are good quality? http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/printed-keycap-singles/custom-art-cherry-mx-keycaps.html

If not, is there anyone who makes ABS double shot keycaps with custom graphic?

Filco Tenkeyless mx blue

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9360 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 12:40:58 »
Does someone know the part I need to replace the scroll wheel of my Wireless Anker Vertical mouse?

Actually I have no idea. Could just try adding in other mice wheels from harvest mice.

1) Anyone know if the WASD custom art ABS keycaps are good quality? http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/printed-keycap-singles/custom-art-cherry-mx-keycaps.html

2) If not, is there anyone who makes ABS double shot keycaps with custom graphic?

1) I really really really don't like the quality of the stock WASD ABS keycaps. I feel that they're thinner than any other keycap. And they're lasered.

2) Don't think there's a way to do this unless you do a GB with SP.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9361 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 13:03:24 »

Actually I have no idea. Could just try adding in other mice wheels from harvest mice.

1) Anyone know if the WASD custom art ABS keycaps are good quality? http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/printed-keycap-singles/custom-art-cherry-mx-keycaps.html

2) If not, is there anyone who makes ABS double shot keycaps with custom graphic?

1) I really really really don't like the quality of the stock WASD ABS keycaps. I feel that they're thinner than any other keycap. And they're lasered.

2) Don't think there's a way to do this unless you do a GB with SP.

I thought WASD didn't do lasered stuff anymore?

http://support.wasdkeyboards.com/customer/portal/articles/1385384-uv-printing

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine

Offline ajx

« Reply #9363 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 13:07:02 »
is MX-Clear recommended for gaming?
it might be too fatiguing when you bottom it out? (65cN)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9364 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 13:07:51 »
is MX-Clear recommended for gaming?
it might be too fatiguing when you bottom it out? (65cN)

Do you like them? Then they're good for gaming. If you don't like them, they're not good for gaming. I don't have any trouble gaming with them but I prefer heavy switches. Do you like heavy switches? This is something you'll have to decide for yourself.

Offline ajx

« Reply #9365 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 13:11:26 »
I never tried those switches
Only did for MX-Black but its linear (too stiff for me when i bottom it out)
Dunno if Clear requires as strength as MX-Black does

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9366 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 13:14:02 »

If you think MX Blacks are too heavy, stock MX Clears may not work for you. However, modded MX Clears like 62g or 65g may be nice for you. Again, that's something you'll have to figure out for yourself through research and trying them out.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #9367 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 14:57:36 »
How often do 55g RF 87u's come around on EliteKeyboards? Wondering if I need to pull the trigger now while they're available, or if I can put it off till the end of the year/early next year? They don't seem *too* rare, but I'd like to make sure I'm not missing out on a major event with their restock in the coming days.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #9368 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 15:07:38 »

Clear springs (not looking at total curve with stem) have an actuation point slightly lighter than blacks, but bottom out heavier.  They have a steeper force curve that many people like.  I love clear springs in linear stems.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9369 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 15:23:14 »
How often do 55g RF 87u's come around on EliteKeyboards? Wondering if I need to pull the trigger now while they're available, or if I can put it off till the end of the year/early next year? They don't seem *too* rare, but I'd like to make sure I'm not missing out on a major event with their restock in the coming days.

They seem to keep them in stock fairly often.

Offline jorgenslee

« Reply #9370 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 11:30:35 »
I just got my Cherry WOB set from hwood34's GB. I was wondering if it possible to restore the legend as white as snow?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #9371 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 11:43:48 »
I just got my Cherry WOB set from hwood34's GB. I was wondering if it possible to restore the legend as white as snow?

If they're yellowed you can try retrobright, not sure what kind of effect it would have on the black plastic though.

Offline jorgenslee

« Reply #9372 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 11:54:44 »
If they're yellowed you can try retrobright, not sure what kind of effect it would have on the black plastic though.

yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Retrobright's effect on black plastic.

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #9373 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 18:55:10 »

Hopefully it doesn't act like bleach and black shirts.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9374 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 19:21:07 »

Hopefully it doesn't act like bleach and black shirts.

That might turn into a new thing though. Surely someone would like it.

Offline beauthegamer

« Reply #9375 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 22:02:46 »
I don't appear to be able to post a thread in the classifieds sub-forum, even though I have more than 25 posts and my account is well over 2 months old. Is there some sort of hidden post counter that is actually being counted or something?
EDIT: And now I can post a new thread. Weird.
Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja with wood blue case and reds | HHKB Pro II non-printed black | Phantom with ergo clears

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #9376 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 22:05:49 »
I don't appear to be able to post a thread in the classifieds sub-forum, even though I have more than 25 posts and my account is well over 2 months old. Is there some sort of hidden post counter that is actually being counted or something?

They have to be approved.

Offline beauthegamer

« Reply #9377 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 22:09:24 »

They have to be approved.

My issue wasn't that my post wasn't showing up, the New Topic button was missing. It appears to have fixed itself though.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 August 2014, 22:16:56 by beauthegamer »
Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja with wood blue case and reds | HHKB Pro II non-printed black | Phantom with ergo clears

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9378 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 08:36:15 »
My issue wasn't that my post wasn't showing up, the New Topic button was missing. It appears to have fixed itself though.

If you're having issues with your posts or just having issues in general, you can always PM one of the moderators to get your issues resolved. Or report your own post and write down what you'd like done in the comments.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9379 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 08:53:03 »
Whatever happened to the backlit ergodox? Was that ever released?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9380 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 08:55:42 »

Looks like the user who was working on that project posted an update in February but hasn't posted much since then regarding the project.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #9381 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 08:59:01 »

Looks like the user who was working on that project posted an update in February but hasn't posted much since then regarding the project.

I have a solution.  Ergo Dox  case with Enabler PCBs
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9382 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 09:02:10 »
Ohhhh~ I see. Well I PM'ed the user that was working on it, but if that ball was dropped I may actually try to use the Enabler solution. :] Thanks guys!

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #9383 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 09:06:31 »
Ohhhh~ I see. Well I PM'ed the user that was working on it, but if that ball was dropped I may actually try to use the Enabler solution. :] Thanks guys!

Orders are closed and all invoices are paid right now for that GB.  I can tell you that i3oilermaker ordered a bunch to stock on techkeys I believe and I will be making the files public as soon as I have them officially ordered.  Currently waiting on a response back from the fab shop.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9384 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 09:12:22 »
Hehe, no problem there, I can definitely wait. I am pretty much planning 2 keyboards in advance ahahahahahahaha~
Sometimes I wanna buy a lab coat just so that I can feel like a mad scientist when I'm finally doing some mods.

Offline iOxygen

« Reply #9385 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 02:00:22 »
Where can I buy a Quickfire Rapid with blues below $80?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #9386 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 03:16:13 »
Where can I buy a Quickfire Rapid with blues below $80?

80$ is already very cheap for a mechanical keyboard, I think you will have to wait until it goes on sale.
Mechanicalkeyboards.com has one for 75$: http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=37

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #9387 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 17:36:04 »
Where can I get some of the small silver Cherry stickers that I have seen some people put one their G80-3700's?

I just got a G80-3700HQAUS-0, and I would really like to get a few of them.

I ordered some of the ones that Feng sells, but they are a little too big.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9388 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 17:37:24 »

Where can I get some of the small silver Cherry stickers that I have seen some people put one their G80-3700's?

Shadovved sold them but I'm not he has anymore.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #9389 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 17:39:30 »

Shadovved sold them but I'm not he has anymore.

Okay.  Thanks CPT.
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #9390 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 17:42:14 »
Some 3700s come with them :)

3700HAU for example :

https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #9391 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 17:44:56 »
Some 3700s come with them :)

3700HAU for example :

Show Image

Correct.  Yeah I was aware of that.  But I have seen some people put silver Cherry stickers on theirs that didn't come with one.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9392 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 22:46:34 »

I don't have any of the silver ones, but I've got a red one you can have if you want.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #9393 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 23:16:11 »

I don't have any of the silver ones, but I've got a red one you can have if you want.

Where did you get it from if you don't mind me asking?
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline EpicSNES

• how do i keyboard
« Reply #9394 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 23:23:53 »
Is there a mod to get rid of the 'mushy' feel of cherry stabilizers? I saw one mod but I believe it required soldering and whatnot which I'm not too keen on.

Filco Tenkeyless mx blue

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #9395 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 23:25:21 »
Is there a mod to get rid of the 'mushy' feel of cherry stabilizers? I saw one mod but I believe it required soldering and whatnot which I'm not too keen on.

Yeah, you gotta clip the stabilizer legs.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34759.0
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #9396 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 23:25:50 »
Do HHKB2 come prelubed? I was putting dental bands on mine and I noticed all the main cylindrical stems (not the sliders) seemed kind of greasy, or shiny at the very least?

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #9397 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 23:26:31 »

The reason it requires soldering is because you have to disassemble your keyboard in order to access the stabilizer legs.

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #9398 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 23:32:52 »
Do HHKB2 come prelubed? I was putting dental bands on mine and I noticed all the main cylindrical stems (not the sliders) seemed kind of greasy, or shiny at the very least?

I think I remember reading that someone said they came lightly lubed. Don't quote me on that though.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9399 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 00:17:47 »

Where did you get it from if you don't mind me asking?

Got it from Shadovved a loooong time ago. After looking at your pic in the other thread, it actually looks like the same sticker, except red. No idea where the smaller one came from, sorry about that.

More