Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3556091 times)

Offline 3K

Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #12300 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 12:07:16 »
Did you try a different USB port? Are you sure your solder joints are all good?
Yep, 3 USB ports, resoldered all the joints, still nothing.
Thanks, though.

Model M '88    | Model M SSK '87 | HHKB P2  | Zowie FK1

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12301 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 17:31:24 »
Thanks, though.

Hm....I guess it's time to try a PS/2 cable then.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #12302 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 18:20:44 »
Thanks, though.

Hm....I guess it's time to try a PS/2 cable then.
Obligatory warning about PS/2 hotswapping. If you don't have a USB-PS/2 adapter, power down before plugging in or risk frying something!

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #12303 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 20:13:08 »
Can someone suggest the optimal tweezer to use for switch top removals? (Amazon)

I have self made tools but I generally end up only removing one side and then ripping/pulling off the other side, doesn't damage the switch, yet it's obviously not optimal
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #12304 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 21:51:35 »
Can someone suggest the optimal tweezer to use for switch top removals? (Amazon)

If you mean switch top removal of mounted switches, then this is a good question. For now I don't have any better method than to take a tiny and thin flathead, lever with it through 2 holes of one side of the switch, until the switch gets a gap. Then stick a wire through the gap (for that the gap cannot close anymore). Then lever the 2 holes on the other side of the switch. And again this is a suboptimal solution.

BTW: I've tried the binder clip method but it is abit crude. The metal can easily bruise the plastic of the housing. I mean it works, but you have to use them with care.

BTW: I bought one of those cheap 1-$-pincers from eBay (China). I regret this, because those pincers bent like chewing gum, it is complete garbage and useless!
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 May 2015, 23:30:22 by Eszett »

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #12305 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 22:24:53 »

I have self made tools but I generally end up only removing one side and then ripping/pulling off the other side, doesn't damage the switch, yet it's obviously not optimal

kin25 makes and sells switch top removers for $2/ea. and supposedly work very well. Of course shipping from S. Korea will cost you more than $2 but maybe you can find someone closer who has a set for sale.

EDIT: and then there's this that I just found out about: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=64115.0
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 May 2015, 22:43:34 by njbair »

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #12306 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 22:48:39 »

kin25 makes and sells switch top removers for $2/ea. and supposedly work very well. Of course shipping from S. Korea will cost you more than $2 but maybe you can find someone closer who has a set for sale.

EDIT: and then there's this that I just found out about: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=64115.0

Removing them from bottom is actually pretty easy, I just dislodge 2 sides, hold the opening, dislodge another then another

However, I don't have a similar working method for mounted switch top removal, minimally I end up bruising the holes a bit

If I was to make a blind decision, I would buy 2x of this one: http://www.amazon.com/Beadalon-213A-010-Tweezers-Curved/dp/B004DGISUG/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&qid=1431229659&sr=8-27&keywords=tweezer
to remove the switch top with 2-hands / 2 tweezers, however the dimensions are unclear
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12307 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 00:50:56 »

Halverson told me he uses a pair of reverse tweezers.

Offline Rafi66

« Reply #12308 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 07:44:24 »
I have two questions for you guys.
I was thinking about getting a new keyboard ~100$ and I narrowed it down to these three. Which should I go with?
http://gaming.coolermaster.com/en/products/keyboards/quickfireultimate/
http://gaming.coolermaster.com/en/products/keyboards/quickfirext/
http://ozonegaming.com/product/strike-battle/

And if we compare those three to Ducky Shine 3? It's worth to pay almost 2x more (in my country) to get Ducky? Is the quality between those two models really significant? The functionality is almost the same? Will Ducky last for few more years?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12309 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 10:48:33 »
I have two questions for you guys.
I was thinking about getting a new keyboard ~100$ and I narrowed it down to these three. Which should I go with?
http://gaming.coolermaster.com/en/products/keyboards/quickfireultimate/
http://gaming.coolermaster.com/en/products/keyboards/quickfirext/
http://ozonegaming.com/product/strike-battle/

And if we compare those three to Ducky Shine 3? It's worth to pay almost 2x more (in my country) to get Ducky? Is the quality between those two models really significant? The functionality is almost the same? Will Ducky last for few more years?

Out of the three of those, I'd pick the XT. CoolerMaster quality without their weird gamer aesthetic. Dunno anything about Ozone boards. Read next to nothing on them. Might be a fine Costar produced board but I really don't know.

I'm partial to ducky because I like backlighting and I like modding my keyboards. Ducky boards have really nice thick PCBs that are great to work on. And I think ducky stock caps are better than CM. But I'm sure that a CM board will last just as long as a Ducky. Not sure how you define quality so I can't say. For me it's in the details like PCB, how the board is assembled, and the construction of the case.

If it's almost twice the amount to get a Ducky, I'd grab the XT if I were you.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #12310 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 12:22:51 »
This is probably simple enough, since I'm inept.

So I opened my HHKB to install 55g domes and I screw the pcb back in, and when I screw in the back screws in the case, the front bit is cracked open when I close the back up. I make sure to the front clips are done, and it still won't close properly.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #12311 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 12:41:30 »
This is probably simple enough, since I'm inept.

So I opened my HHKB to install 55g domes and I screw the pcb back in, and when I screw in the back screws in the case, the front bit is cracked open when I close the back up. I make sure to the front clips are done, and it still won't close properly.

I had that happen to me too. I found that i just had to unscrew the 3 case screws and keep playing around with closing it to ensure the front clips are properly closed. Someone once posted a trick in the "post your topre" thread, but I cannot remember what it was.  :(

Offline Bsclly

• I hope you're having a good day!
« Reply #12312 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 17:43:47 »
I have a poker 2 blue switches with a weird ctrl key. Weird as in broken. It's broken and I dont know how to fix it. Is there anything I can do without taking the entire keyboard apart?
Switches Tried: Reds, Blues
Favorite Switches: Blues

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12313 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 17:55:08 »
I have a poker 2 blue switches with a weird ctrl key. Weird as in broken. It's broken and I dont know how to fix it. Is there anything I can do without taking the entire keyboard apart?

Best check to do is to aquakeytest or use a multimeter to see if when you press CTRL, if it registers a signal. If it doesn't, you may need to fix the solder joints or swap out the switch.

Offline Rafi66

« Reply #12314 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 18:17:23 »
What do you think about swiches? Which are best for gaming? Isn't brown "perceptible jump" too frustrating?

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #12315 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 18:23:00 »
What do you think about swiches? Which are best for gaming? Isn't brown "perceptible jump" too frustrating?

It's entirely personal preference. I didn't have any frustration with browns -- I also didn't register a perceptible jump at all. I game on clears without any issue, and I'm happy with it. Personally I don't like linear switches at all, but other people love them. My recommendation would be to try out as many switches as you can, and see which one you like best.

My recommendation would be to avoid blues or greens, because they reset significantly above the activation point.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12316 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 18:43:07 »

Lol...Best for gaming is whatever you're comfortable with. There's a billion threads on this and honestly, what I'll tell you isn't what the next two people will tell you. I like playing video games on MX Blacks, Green Alps, Blue Alps, and Model Fs.

I hate "Best for ______ " topics because if there was a best switch for anything, we'd all be typing on it. Find something that works for you and just go with it. There's no wrong answer other than trying to use 2KRO boards.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #12317 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 08:30:02 »
i just came across a ripster ( :-\) guide in which he suggested reapplying stabilizer lube every 6 months. is this even necessary?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12318 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 08:33:02 »
i just came across a ripster ( :-\) guide in which he suggested reapplying stabilizer lube every 6 months. is this even necessary?

Hm...so it wouldn't hurt right? But I've bought vintage Alps boards where the stabilizer grease has been on there for like 20 years. Or however long the board has been around. It can't hurt to do it but that's up to you if you want to redo it that often.

If it were me? I'd just do it once and move on. Only time I'd reapply is if I opened the board up and it was super dusty or dirty in the area with the lube or if I accidently wiped off some of hte lube.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #12319 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 08:37:25 »
nah, i think i've asked that question before and have since came to the conclusion that lubing is a one and done deal. he wrote 6 MONTHS in caps though so that got me questioning my understanding of this lubing affair a little

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12320 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 08:58:51 »
Some people like lube in general. All aspects of life. You can be certain that it reduces friction and that reduces wear.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #12321 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 09:00:25 »
Yea definitely not. It's manufactured to last
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline jamster

« Reply #12322 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 09:09:13 »

I have these and they worked perfectly well for opening MX switches.

http://www.amazon.com/Goot-TS-15-Precision-tweezers/dp/B0036RN5CE

Offline Cottonsox

« Reply #12323 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 02:15:29 »
I have 2x3x4 LEDs that rub against Ivan's RD3 pbt's.

I am wondering if these any of these would be a better solution, more looking to find the style that works without the need to sand them down! I have some future projects and my board currently has SIP sockets so switching a new style in would be easy

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-3MM-LED-light-emitting-diode-100PCS-component-package-red-green-yellow-blue-and-white-free/832451905.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-Shipping-100pcs-Super-Bright-3mm-Round-cold-White-Water-Clear-LED-Light-Diode-kit-6000/629743_1038307978.html

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #12324 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 06:48:58 »
Are these all the standard gmk colors? I thought there where more of them  :eek:

In an hypothetical gmk small set, made of 10 keys, what could be the cost of 1u and 1.25u keys? Blank and with legends?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12325 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 08:34:34 »
1) Are these all the standard gmk colors?
Show Image

2) In an hypothetical gmk small set, made of 10 keys, what could be the cost of 1u and 1.25u keys? Blank and with legends?

1) Yes I believe those are all the standard colors

2) Feng ran this windowed cap buy with pricing close to what you're looking for. Here's pricing for Ivan's CMYK and Purple mod set. Here is Ivan's GMK mini pack GB with pricing for escapes and space bars. Remember that the pricing is cheapest with blanks, then pad printed, and then doubleshot.

I am wondering if these any of these would be a better solution, more looking to find the style that works without the need to sand them down! I have some future projects and my board currently has SIP sockets so switching a new style in would be easy

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-3MM-LED-light-emitting-diode-100PCS-component-package-red-green-yellow-blue-and-white-free/832451905.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-Shipping-100pcs-Super-Bright-3mm-Round-cold-White-Water-Clear-LED-Light-Diode-kit-6000/629743_1038307978.html

You can always sand the LEDs down a little. That's an option. I have 2x3x4mm LEDs in my KMAC and I haven't had that issue thankfully.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #12326 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 08:47:44 »
So the cost of the gmk 1u should be, more or less:
€1 blank
€1.7 double shot

The 1.25u:
€2 blank

1) Are these all the standard gmk colors?
Show Image

2) In an hypothetical gmk small set, made of 10 keys, what could be the cost of 1u and 1.25u keys? Blank and with legends?

1) Yes I believe those are all the standard colors

2) Feng ran this windowed cap buy with pricing close to what you're looking for. Here's pricing for Ivan's CMYK and Purple mod set. Here is Ivan's GMK mini pack GB with pricing for escapes and space bars. Remember that the pricing is cheapest with blanks, then pad printed, and then doubleshot.

You can always sand the LEDs down a little. That's an option. I have 2x3x4mm LEDs in my KMAC and I haven't had that issue thankfully.

Offline FreeChemicals

« Reply #12327 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 13:09:14 »
I've received a bunch of MX Clear switches today, and one has a bended 'leg':

What would be the best way to straighten it?

After being clamped with an adjustable wrench in a cup of hot water for about 1.5h, it just just bent back into the previous position..

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12328 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 13:12:19 »
I've received a bunch of MX Clear switches today, and one has a bended 'leg':

Show Image

What would be the best way to straighten it?

After being clamped with an adjustable wrench in a cup of hot water for about 1.5h, it just just bent back into the previous position..

Just get a new stem? I would've suggested what you've already said you did.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #12329 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 13:17:52 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 August 2015, 09:33:31 by esoomenona »

Offline Vitaly

« Reply #12330 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 13:59:44 »
Maybe someone know how to remap [Control]+[c] and other shortcuts to [Meta/Win]+[c] in Linux (Ubuntu)? Is it possible?

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #12331 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 14:02:50 »
Maybe someone know how to remap [Control]+[c] and other shortcuts to [Meta/Win]+[c] in Linux (Ubuntu)? Is it possible?
Do you want to swap Ctrl and Meta?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12332 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 14:03:48 »

I know literally nothing about Linux but this topic seems helpful. Maybe it'll work for you?

Offline Zukoi

• ****posting at 90wpm
« Reply #12333 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 14:19:15 »
Where can I get MX clear/grey stems?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12334 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 14:26:23 »

Offline Zukoi

• ****posting at 90wpm

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #12336 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 14:52:40 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 August 2015, 09:33:12 by esoomenona »

Offline Zukoi

• ****posting at 90wpm
« Reply #12337 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 14:54:31 »
Where can I get MX clear/grey stems?

MechanicalKeyboards.com
What about only the stems?

You might try a classifieds post to see if someone has any to spare. It's unlikely though, as people tend to use them. What's more likely is that someone might consider a trade one to one for stems you might have currently and wish to replace.

To post in the classifieds, you need a total of 25 posts and to have been a member for two months, IIRC.
Thanks for the pointers. But I don't think anyone wants brown stems. I'll see if springs and lube will improve them.

On that note, is lithium grease suitable for sliders/inside the switch?
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 May 2015, 14:56:56 by Zukoi »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12338 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 15:06:24 »
On that note, is lithium grease suitable for sliders/inside the switch?

I would say no. You're more than welcome to experiment for yourself though.

What about only the stems?

You might try a classifieds post to see if someone has any to spare. It's unlikely though, as people tend to use them. What's more likely is that someone might consider a trade one to one for stems you might have currently and wish to replace.

To post in the classifieds, you need a total of 25 posts and to have been a member for two months, IIRC.

Only stems? Classified like Moose said. Clear and Grey stems are usually what people are looking for anyways.

To post a new topic you need 25 posts + 2 months time but to just post a reply, I don't think there's a time limit.

Offline Vitaly

« Reply #12339 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 15:15:32 »
Do you want to swap Ctrl and Meta?
No, it's simple  :) Meta is pretty useless button on linux, I want use it for regular actions and use Control for terminal (for which purpose this button was created, for example control c in terminal is interrupt process and for copy you should use any other shortcut)

I know literally nothing about Linux but this topic seems helpful. Maybe it'll work for you?
Thanks! Will go read.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #12340 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 08:39:37 »
[erased - sorry]
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 May 2015, 08:41:32 by Giorgio »

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #12341 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 16:04:08 »
Is there anywhere to buy Alps/Matias keycaps other than salvaging old boards?
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #12342 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 16:14:17 »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12343 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 16:23:37 »

MMhhuuhhaa hhaa hhaa hhaa

Frankly, I think the old Apple PBTs are the best-feeling of all, but they have weird incomplete legend sets and the F keys are wrong.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12344 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 17:26:30 »
Right now? No

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #12345 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 18:01:57 »
Right now? No
I think you can PM Matias on here and he will sell some, but I am not sure

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #12346 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 20:36:18 »
Right now? No
I think you can PM Matias on here and he will sell some, but I am not sure

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=68887.msg1681642#msg1681642
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 May 2015, 20:39:11 by njbair »

My boards:
More

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #12347 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 22:08:52 »
Okay thanks guys. I appreciate the help.  :thumb:
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline Zukoi

• ****posting at 90wpm
« Reply #12348 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 00:01:59 »
Why are Koreans so into keyboards as opposed to other countries in Asia? I noticed there are a lot of talk about Korean keyboard around here.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #12349 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 00:32:08 »
Why are Koreans so into keyboards as opposed to other countries in Asia? I noticed there are a lot of talk about Korean keyboard around here.

Korea is one of the biggest (quality) electronics producers in the world. I'd say it has a lot to do with that.