Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3554413 times)

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #13650 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 20:22:43 »
Recently got my hands on a RF87UB.

How difficult is it to obtain a Digilog case?

I've seen a couple in the past in Classifields, which would suggest that they're pretty rare.

As far as I can tell they were only sold through one eBay vendor. Not sure if they've got any left in stock so the Classifieds might be your best shot.

Thanks, how elusive...

Yeah you will really only find them secondhand these days.. Good luck!

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13651 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 21:03:27 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:03:37 by alienman82 »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #13652 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 21:09:55 »
For my pm_search tool, I am curious how many people use labels for their PMs.  Ideally I would be able to create a poll in that thread to collect that info to better guide if that is actually a feature I should try to address in the tool.

TIL there are PM labels.  :eek:  I can't even find an option for that anywhere though.  :confused:

Edit: Never mind, looks like I found it.  :))

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #13653 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 21:12:33 »
Recently got my hands on a RF87UB.

How difficult is it to obtain a Digilog case?

I've seen a couple in the past in Classifields, which would suggest that they're pretty rare.

As far as I can tell they were only sold through one eBay vendor. Not sure if they've got any left in stock so the Classifieds might be your best shot.

Thanks, how elusive...

Yeah you will really only find them secondhand these days.. Good luck!

I got mine from reddit then traded then it was sold.  Jerue has it now.  Maybe ask nicely?  I didn't like plate-mounted topre, but it did look cool... I just hate how much extra wasted space there is above row 1 on the case on a realforce.

Yeah I'm not too committed to getting one just yet, more of a curiosity at this stage and wanted to know how realistic it would be to find one.

I'm loving plate mounted topre (still love the popping feeling I get on the HHKB tho) but I feel like the RF case sounds a bit... hollow?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13654 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 21:12:42 »
For my pm_search tool, I am curious how many people use labels for their PMs.  Ideally I would be able to create a poll in that thread to collect that info to better guide if that is actually a feature I should try to address in the tool.

TIL there are PM labels.  :eek:  I can't even find an option for that anywhere though.  :confused:

I totally missed this until today and I sorely regret not knowing about it sooner.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #13655 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 21:15:56 »

I totally missed this until today and I sorely regret not knowing about it sooner.
Which part? Labels in PMs?  Have you been using pm_search?  I thought you had set it up.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13656 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 21:18:01 »
Which part? Labels in PMs?  Have you been using pm_search?  I thought you had set it up.

I didn't realize there was labels for PMs built into geekhack. If I had labels to use in tandem with your pm_search tool, I feel like my zine would be so much easier to organize. That being said, your tool is great and has been much more powerful than the geekhack search. I'm still learning how to use the tool though.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #13657 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 21:30:15 »

I didn't realize there was labels for PMs built into geekhack. If I had labels to use in tandem with your pm_search tool, I feel like my zine would be so much easier to organize. That being said, your tool is great and has been much more powerful than the geekhack search. I'm still learning how to use the tool though.

Cool.  I will probably spend some time and add the tagging of PMs with the labels so you can have a 'Label' field that you can search for in the tool which will correspond to the GH label.  It may take me a week or so because I have two new websites I am working on in my spare time and I like to get projects at least to initial launch before switching back to something else.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13658 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 21:48:33 »

I tried telling you that here  ::)

What a great idea. I've been contemplating how I can better organize Tactile subscriptions since people just PM me to get them. Having this tool would be really helpful and I wouldn't have to go to a Google Docs Form or anything.

For something like your Tactile thing, you can make a label called Tactile Subscriptions then make a rule that if the subject contains Tactile Subscription it applies that label. Then tell anyone who wants a subscription to be sure and have Tactile Subscription in the subject line when they pm you.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #13659 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 10:53:13 »
What stem do the stabilizers in tai-hao alps caps use?
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #13660 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 11:42:20 »

Square stems like those on the Dell AT101.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #13661 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 11:46:18 »

Yeah, on all of the stabilized caps except the spacebar. Spacebar uses MX style.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #13662 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 11:55:14 »

Yeah, on all of the stabilized caps except the spacebar. Spacebar uses MX style.

So do I need matias stabilizers?

All the vintage alps caps I have use MX stems on the stabilizers.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #13663 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 11:59:08 »
So do I need matias stabilizers?

All the vintage alps caps I have use MX stems on the stabilizers.

Yep, they use the same kind that Matias uses.  I have my tai-hao Olivetti set on my V60 MTS, and they worked perfectly.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline dinosseur

« Reply #13664 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 20:58:47 »
Does anybody know if the leopold fc750r works on a mac? linux? I'm not too concerned about mac-specific buttons (ie volume up/down).

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13665 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 21:27:51 »
Does anybody know if the leopold fc750r works on a mac? linux? I'm not too concerned about mac-specific buttons (ie volume up/down).

Should be fine. I wouldn't expect there to be any issues. I can't be 100% sure though since I use neither :(.

Offline dinosseur

« Reply #13666 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 21:52:15 »

Should be fine. I wouldn't expect there to be any issues. I can't be 100% sure though since I use neither :(.

That's what I'm expecting also. I'm just a bit more cautious since returning it would be costly. Well if anyone can let me know, that'd be great.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #13667 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 09:45:10 »
im sure this is a stupid question, so i apologize in advance.  i recently got a RealForce and it has front printed caps for then numpad around the right hand.  however, i am not able to find an actual function key, so I have no idea how to use those keys.  ideas?

Offline trees

• I like bagels.
« Reply #13668 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 09:48:18 »
im sure this is a stupid question, so i apologize in advance.  i recently got a RealForce and it has front printed caps for then numpad around the right hand.  however, i am not able to find an actual function key, so I have no idea how to use those keys.  ideas?

The button on the upper portion of the 'nav cluster' where scroll lock normally is. On a RF, it is a 'num lock' key and will lock those keys to numpad functions.
B.Face HHKB - B.mini - Black/Purple Custom

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13669 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 09:48:57 »

You mean the integrated number pad? Just hit the numlock key. :D

Edit: my tapatalk keeps timing out, trees answer is better anyways :(

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #13670 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 09:50:24 »

The button on the upper portion of the 'nav cluster' where scroll lock normally is. On a RF, it is a 'num lock' key and will lock those keys to numpad functions.
Ahhh. I'm on a Mac and have those keys mapped to something else I see. OK. Thanks, I will review my setup.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13671 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 10:19:40 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:03:02 by alienman82 »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13672 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 10:21:53 »
Are the spacebars from OG lasered and OG doubleshot cherry boards the same?

Damn that's a good question. I don't know for sure but IIRC, they are. Definitely a good question for a Cherryhead.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13673 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 12:02:51 »

Damn that's a good question. I don't know for sure but IIRC, they are. Definitely a good question for a Cherryhead.

OG Cherry DS sets have thick ABS space bars; but some OG Cherry WoB DS came with PBT space bars. I do not know lasered sets.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13674 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 12:04:23 »

OG Cherry DS sets have thick ABS space bars; but some OG Cherry WoB DS came with PBT space bars. I do not know lasered sets.

The ones stamped 'PBT' on the boards with doubleshots are actually ABS.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 November 2015, 12:06:14 by SpAmRaY »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13675 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 12:10:42 »

The ones stamped 'PBT' on the boards with doubleshots are actually ABS.

Interesting information, A space bar of set I had previously with PBT mark actually went to the bottom in water, meaning that it should be PBT, but of course, that test is not necessarily definitive.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13676 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 13:03:47 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:02:57 by alienman82 »

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #13677 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 19:48:53 »
On a ALPS board, what is this under the spacebar?
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13678 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 19:57:06 »
Show Image

Should be the receiving end of the little support cylinder that's sticking out of your spacebar. I believe it helps stabilize the spacebar while it travels and adds extra support.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #13679 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 20:15:14 »
Show Image

Should be the receiving end of the little support cylinder that's sticking out of your spacebar. I believe it helps stabilize the spacebar while it travels and adds extra support.
How well does it work? My V60 with Matias does not have this for spacebar and it wobble a bit.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 November 2015, 20:17:10 by ctm »
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #13680 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 20:25:22 »
Show Image

How well does it work? My V60 with Matias does not have this for spacebar and it wobble a bit.
I've never thought much about this cylinder, but comes to think of it, Alps are "wobblier" than MX, so the extra lateral stability probably makes a huge difference.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13681 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 20:34:13 »

Dunno, never really paid much attention to it.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13682 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 20:37:45 »
I believe it helps stabilize the spacebar while it travels and adds extra support.

I think that it is a very good idea, it works much like the plastic barrel inserts in later M/F oversize keys.

Surprised that it is not used more often.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13683 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 20:38:59 »
I believe it helps stabilize the spacebar while it travels and adds extra support.

I think that it is a very good idea, it works much like the plastic barrel inserts in later M/F oversize keys.

Surprised that it is not used more often.

I thought it was a pretty good design decision as well.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #13684 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 20:46:22 »
Anyway to fix wobble spacebar on V60 Matias?

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline ajx

« Reply #13685 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 02:56:16 »
Is there any video tuto for silenced mod on Topre keyboard?
Thanks you

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13686 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 02:59:02 »
Is there any video tuto for silenced mod on Topre keyboard?
Thanks you

I didn't find a video, but I found a detailed guide: http://imgur.com/a/cKxuu

And here are a couple of different links at the bottom: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/wiki/modifications_topre

Offline ajx

« Reply #13687 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 05:50:39 »
Thx, do i need to lube an HHKB as well?
Some keycaps feels a little bit rattle

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13688 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 07:55:45 »
Thx, do i need to lube an HHKB as well?
Some keycaps feels a little bit rattle
If you want you can.
Anyway to fix wobble spacebar on V60 Matias?
Not really. Alps are gonna be wobbly in general. Comes with the switch.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13689 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 10:20:12 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:02:35 by alienman82 »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13690 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 10:27:42 »
is the acer 6011 I linked to earlier have similar stabs to a dell at101 or SGI granite?  Are all alps stabs the same?
Alps stabs are confusing and not all the same. They generally come in insert costar form with square or mx style x shapes. And I don't remember what stabs the 6011 has.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13691 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 10:40:56 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:02:31 by alienman82 »

Offline dante

« Reply #13692 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 10:41:24 »
Does the Unicomp 103/104 (non Classic) use a metal backplate?  I haven't/don't want to open mine but I've heard either A) there is no backplate or B) there is one but it is very thin.

Assuming there is one - will this also have all the plastic rivets that will break in time?  If there isn't one - will there be anything to be concerned with 5+ years later?

Offline E3E

« Reply #13693 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 11:06:06 »
is the acer 6011 I linked to earlier have similar stabs to a dell at101 or SGI granite?  Are all alps stabs the same?

No, not at all. Alps is very quirky and I have seen Cherry-mount stabs (and 7u space bars with said stab mounts that do not fit with modern 7u stab spacing and wire). I have seen costar-style inserts on vintage plates ala the Infinity. It's a very mixed bag with Alps, and I have seen a split. A lot of people say Alps-style stab mounts and plate mounted inserts are most common, but I have seen many say they have more of the costar-style inserts and MX mounts.

Sometimes you get a mix of MX-mounted stab inserts with Alp-style plate inserts. You can never be too sure with Alps.

If I were you, I would try and find some disassembled boards to see.

Alps stabs are confusing and not all the same. They generally come in insert costar form with square or mx style x shapes. And I don't remember what stabs the 6011 has.

Are the stab wires the same?  I mean with the inserts are both types interchangeable?  Will the acer caps work on the dell?

If you get the proper inserts and wire, yes. Odds are likely it will have Alps stabs like the Dell AT101. If not, costar stab inserts and custom bent wire would work, but I have a good feeling the Acer boards use typical Alps mounts and not Cherry. Calling Chyros! With his KB101A, he'd know. :P I have no idea if paging people is possible, lol.

The only cap you might have issue with is the space bar as the stabilizing shaft positions can be different across boards. Even across AT101s, an old logo black alps space bar will not fit on the original AT101 w/ salmon alps without modification.
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 November 2015, 11:14:37 by E3E »

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13694 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 11:51:13 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:02:24 by alienman82 »

Offline pabile

• pabile online
« Reply #13695 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 20:07:31 »
this is the back of din plugs i will be using for an external converter. are the pin assignments correct for model m?

thanks, gh!

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #13696 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 20:26:15 »
Anybody know what color yellow is used on the WASD pack from symbiosis SA? Its not on the PMK listing and I can't find any details on the GB.

Offline Bomble

« Reply #13697 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 21:21:57 »
Does anybody know which BBv2/s would match the closest with the JTK pruple & white set?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13698 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 21:54:24 »
this is the back of din plugs i will be using for an external converter. are the pin assignments correct for model m?

I always refer to this: (remember this is the socket, not the plug)

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13699 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 22:46:23 »
Anybody know what color yellow is used on the WASD pack from symbiosis SA? Its not on the PMK listing and I can't find any details on the GB.

I can't find it but I did find a user named xblackdog designed it. Maybe you could contact that person?

Does anybody know which BBv2/s would match the closest with the JTK pruple & white set?

Ugh, I couldn't find a good side by side but maybe this thread is helpful?