Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3556587 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #14700 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 06:27:04 »
I got 3 Topre switch testers and the keycaps confused me. The keycap from Type Heaven is supposedly ABS and the other two from Realforce are PBT. The Type Heaven keycap has a nice texture and feels dry(not slippery). It feels very similar to my Vortex PBT caps. On the other hand, the Realforce caps are quite slippery, even more slippery than my ABS caps. Why is this?
Different plastic?
No I mean different factory? Cause they must have a different finishing?
I don't have other Topre caps, but the two I have are different (one white one black). I thought PBT in general has a dry texture that is somewhat resilient to sweat, but these two does not feel that way. Is my impression on PBT wrong?
Different method leads to different feeling. BSP have smooth texture and ducky caps have a dry texture. Topre caps all have a smooth texture but the black caps have a rougher texture

In addition to this, remember that ABS and PBT still encompasses a lot of formulations which can affect how the plastics feel. As well as the finishes such as a coating or UV printing.

So I put one of my customs together again today (had to take it apart because I'm a klutz and wired the Teensy in backwards). One of the keys doesn't register when pressed down normally, but when I put the keyboard on the table upside down it spams the key. Swapping out the spring + stem hasn't helped and the solder connections seem fine. Shorting the switch by putting a wire across both legs doesn't help either, so I'm thinking I'll have to swap out the whole leaf or switch. Am I missing something obvious?

I think you should just swap out the switch like you suggested.

Offline apolotary

• Кто-нибудь купите мои клавиатуры ;__;
« Reply #14701 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 10:16:58 »
Scratched a PCB, I think I damaged a few tracks. What are the usual symptoms of a scratched track? So far my problem is a couple of chattering keys and a couple of other keys are not working at all. Wondering how I can fix that...

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #14702 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 10:35:20 »
Scratched a PCB, I think I damaged a few tracks. What are the usual symptoms of a scratched track? So far my problem is a couple of chattering keys and a couple of other keys are not working at all. Wondering how I can fix that...

Hard wiring is the best way but you might be able to use silver ink depending on the damage.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14703 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 10:57:23 »

The broken trace would not cause chattering issues, that is another problem. The switches not working howevet could be cause by it. If it's just a tiny scratch you could see if you can add a little solder to reconnect the trace or wire it.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline apolotary

• Кто-нибудь купите мои клавиатуры ;__;
« Reply #14704 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 11:37:32 »

The broken trace would not cause chattering issues, that is another problem. The switches not working howevet could be cause by it. If it's just a tiny scratch you could see if you can add a little solder to reconnect the trace or wire it.

Hard wiring is the best way but you might be able to use silver ink depending on the damage.

Turns out I broke a diode off the Enter key and rewiring it to a key nearby was a stupid idea that caused chattering. Will put the diode back when I get a replacement and see how it goes!

Offline thatllbeme

« Reply #14705 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 11:58:47 »

So I put one of my customs together again today (had to take it apart because I'm a klutz and wired the Teensy in backwards). One of the keys doesn't register when pressed down normally, but when I put the keyboard on the table upside down it spams the key. Swapping out the spring + stem hasn't helped and the solder connections seem fine. Shorting the switch by putting a wire across both legs doesn't help either, so I'm thinking I'll have to swap out the whole leaf or switch. Am I missing something obvious?

I think you should just swap out the switch like you suggested.
[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion! I swapped it out for two different switches, and it hasn't helped. Now I'm thinking it might be a short somewhere, so I'm going to go over my wiring and insulate everything.

Offline Zedd

« Reply #14706 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 16:13:08 »
hello,
is there any physical difference between cherry mx red and black stems? i was wondering since they are both linear switches, using the same spring weights on a red and black stem would be exactly the same switches.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14707 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 17:16:24 »
hello,
is there any physical difference between cherry mx red and black stems? i was wondering since they are both linear switches, using the same spring weights on a red and black stem would be exactly the same switches.

The stems are the same.

Offline piemancoder

« Reply #14708 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 17:42:32 »
hello,

Just different colors.
Yoda grammar best has

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #14709 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 18:57:57 »
How difficult is it to pull firmware off of an existing custom? I'm hoping to be able to extract the current firmware from my 356 Mini and reload it in the event that I brick it trying to load new firmware on it. Is that a reasonable goal?

EDIT: I think I've figured out how to download the firmware with AVRDude and an AVR ISP, so I'll have to get one of those. The ISP hookups on the PCB do not have pins soldered in, is there a good way to securely hookup an AVR ISP to it without soldering them on? These look cool, but they're discontinued: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/retired/10527
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 February 2016, 19:59:59 by pr0ximity »
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #14710 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 22:01:34 »
EDIT: I think I've figured out how to download the firmware with AVRDude and an AVR ISP, so I'll have to get one of those. The ISP hookups on the PCB do not have pins soldered in, is there a good way to securely hookup an AVR ISP to it without soldering them on? These look cool, but they're discontinued: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/retired/10527

I would just push normal headers on a slant with hand to make contact while downloading. In fact I did that with 2x3 header some ago.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #14711 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 05:58:37 »
anyone know if material similar to the silencing rings found in the type-s versions of Topre keyboards is available anywhere?
i'm hoping to obtain a few sheets of something like that material, so i can freely cut and apply it myself.
important is that it's thin :)
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #14712 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 06:05:19 »
a kind of PORON, maybe. I think hypersphere uses it at least.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #14713 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 06:35:52 »
thanks for the reply hasu, i'll check it out.
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline Quackles

« Reply #14714 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 15:47:37 »
Is there a big difference between Krytox thick lube from Techkeys and Mech Lube 2 from Elitekeyboards?

This is for my Realforce.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #14715 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 15:48:21 »
Is there a big difference between Krytox thick lube from Techkeys and Mech Lube 2 from Elitekeyboards?

Simple answer is get the krytox.

Offline Quackles

« Reply #14716 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 15:53:00 »

Simple answer is get the krytox.

Damn it! Means I have to be patient for my Krytox to arrive from xondat. But I guess it will be worth it in the end.

Thank you.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #14717 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 09:54:56 »
What keycaps are those on the KMAC?
Gateron pbt? I see that bro use this on his dge too IIRC
Or imsto

The gats come in 4 shades right? I want the shade that's lighter than this but I might be wrong.

Yep, from left to right: Dark Gray, Light Gray, Beige, White.  There's also "Ghost White" that is not in the photo.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #14718 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 17:12:13 »
What's the minimum amount I need for a WKL PCB? Also how long from order to shipping for it?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #14719 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 19:41:42 »
What's the minimum amount I need for a WKL PCB? Also how long from order to shipping for it?

Check current prices and availability at winkeyless, gon and mechanicalkeyboards. There is a cheap phantom under $40, now.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #14720 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 06:37:41 »

Check current prices and availability at winkeyless, gon and mechanicalkeyboards. There is a cheap phantom under $40, now.

Sorry, I meant what options do I need to have a working PCB from WKL.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #14721 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 06:50:56 »

pcb's come with the controller components presoldered leaving you to solder diodes and resistors if you plan to use any lighting on the board

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #14722 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 07:29:47 »

pcb's come with the controller components presoldered leaving you to solder diodes and resistors if you plan to use any lighting on the board

So with these options all I need to do is solder the switches in?

Also how long does order placed to shipping take? It says 7-10 days but want to check.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #14723 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 07:33:01 »

Show Image

So with these options all I need to do is solder the switches in?

Also how long does order placed to shipping take? It says 7-10 days but want to check.

Yep

Wkl are pretty quick on shipping so that 7-10 day estimate is probably pretty close

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #14724 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 14:50:49 »
I have seen some post about the plate of Massdrop Infinity being too thick for Alps to clip properly and tend to break Alps switches. Has this problem been fixed in later rounds? I am thinking about getting one with flat plate.
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline E3E

« Reply #14725 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 15:45:24 »
I have seen some post about the plate of Massdrop Infinity being too thick for Alps to clip properly and tend to break Alps switches. Has this problem been fixed in later rounds? I am thinking about getting one with flat plate.

I have the Gen 1 Infinity with the bent case and I've never had problems with the switches. They are not clipped in tight though, this is true. I've had none break though and they are quite solid when soldered in place.

Don't look at me though, I use my Infinity solderless with Alps switches and it works just fine.

Offline bbrotha

« Reply #14726 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 11:39:11 »
Hi guys, I have a Sprit pcb and have a problem with the enter key. It seems it is mapped to ESC, DEL, WIN and Enter on the same press. I already tried to flash it like 100 times and map it differently but the problem persist. Any thoughs?
Norbaforce 87U 45g  -- HHKB Type S Blanks-- Kira Keyboard -- M65-A -- Novatouch

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14727 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 11:43:17 »
Hi guys, I have a Sprit pcb and have a problem with the enter key. It seems it is mapped to ESC, DEL, WIN and Enter on the same press. I already tried to flash it like 100 times and map it differently but the problem persist. Any thoughs?

You sure everything is soldered properly and there's no grounding issues?

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #14728 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 12:43:39 »
That doesn't sound like a matrix soldering error. They're more likely to be of the type 6yhb or 1234567890. Unless the PCB has those buttons in a line, it sounds more like a software error.

Has the software been changed?

Offline bbrotha

« Reply #14729 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 12:49:32 »
That doesn't sound like a matrix soldering error. They're more likely to be of the type 6yhb or 1234567890. Unless the PCB has those buttons in a line, it sounds more like a software error.

Has the software been changed?

I did use the software on the guide posted by sprit, and use those .hex files for flashing. but still no change. Also I can't open the flashing software with win 10, so I had to installed on a old pc with XP for it to work. Could it be that I'm using an incorrect software to flash it?
Norbaforce 87U 45g  -- HHKB Type S Blanks-- Kira Keyboard -- M65-A -- Novatouch

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #14730 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 12:52:49 »
If you get the same error with both the original and your own software it's not likely. If you've just used your own software you should try to scrounge up a copy of the original software and try that.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #14731 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 23:40:06 »
I'd like to get this Dolch board working with my computer, and I'm guessing I need to either mod the existing cable or make a converter, or just see about unplugging the existing cable and replacing it with an R45 to PS2 one (is that right?)

Can anyone give a recommendation on how to open this case?  Are there screws under those rubber pads in the legs?  Any tabs in the holes on the sides?  Don't want to break anything as I investigate it.

- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14732 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 23:49:34 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:04:26 by alienman82 »

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14733 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 23:52:41 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:04:23 by alienman82 »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #14734 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 00:27:00 »
I'd like to get this Dolch board working with my computer, and I'm guessing I need to either mod the existing cable or make a converter, or just see about unplugging the existing cable and replacing it with an R45 to PS2 one (is that right?)

Can anyone give a recommendation on how to open this case?  Are there screws under those rubber pads in the legs?  Any tabs in the holes on the sides?  Don't want to break anything as I investigate it.

Hi!  You need to remove the rare logo and all the feet to get it apart.  Use heat on the logo and don't force it as it is metal and can bend.  Internally, just solder on a new PS2 cable.  Let me know if you need more help.  i've done this twice now :)

Thanks.  Do you mean the "rear" logo?  As in on the back side of the keyboard? 

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14735 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 09:24:52 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:04:21 by alienman82 »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #14736 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 16:03:53 »
Thanks, opened it up just now.  One of the screws had some very strong glue in the part where you're supposed to place the screwdriver tip.  Took a while to carve it out with a skinny flat head screwdriver before I could remove it.  Other screws were clean, beside the rubber foot glue residue.  It looks like inside the cable's just plugged in with another RJ10 end.  Typo about RJ45 earlier.  I'll look for ready-made RJ11 to PS2 cables or make one myself.

Offline Quackles

« Reply #14737 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 17:34:53 »
Probably not simple. But I'm hoping someone looked into it.

Does anyone know the sizes of the two screws used in a Realforce 87? The black and silver ones on the PCB.

Offline Fyodor

« Reply #14738 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 07:23:16 »
Hi, i've been looking for a CoolerMaster CMStorm Quick Fire Rapid with cherry mx blue.

Here in Spain is hard to find keyboards with blue cherry, on amazon.com i can find it for 70$ + 40$ shipping. Right now there is one on ebay for sale but is already at 31$ (+40$ shipping +11$ import charges).

Is there any keyboard with similar costs that is better than the quick fire ?

:rolleyes:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14739 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 07:26:55 »
Hi, i've been looking for a CoolerMaster CMStorm Quick Fire Rapid with cherry mx blue.

Here in Spain is hard to find keyboards with blue cherry, on amazon.com i can find it for 70$ + 40$ shipping. Right now there is one on ebay for sale but is already at 31$ (+40$ shipping +11$ import charges).

I think for that $81 price that's actually a great pickup. If you're willing to pay more, I really like suggesting Ducky boards. But there's a lot of other competitors out now in your price range that I unfortunately don't know a lot about. Hopefully someone can help you out further on budget boards.

Edit: Found the thread I was trying to reference in my post. This thread seems pretty helpful.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 February 2016, 07:40:53 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Fyodor

« Reply #14740 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 07:41:12 »

I think for that $81 price that's actually a great pickup. If you're willing to pay more, I really like suggesting Ducky boards. But there's a lot of other competitors out now in your price range that I unfortunately don't know a lot about. Hopefully someone can help you out further on budget boards.

I'll follow the auction on ebay but definitely the price is going up, at least 20-30$
Should I look for a specific Ducky model keyboard? They don't seem easy to get in Spain.

EDIT: just saw your edit Thank you!
EDIT2: I've been really close to get a Ozone strike battle last week, we have a supplier here in Spain, but unfortunately they don't have blue cherry, just brown or red. I should look for another supplier

EDIT3: Ok nevermind, I won the auction for the QFR, 45$ + shipment on ebay  :p
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 February 2016, 14:41:00 by Fyodor »

Offline Bucake

« Reply #14741 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 07:30:31 »
are there active geekhackers that make custom wooden wrist rests?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14742 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 07:32:35 »
are there active geekhackers that make custom wooden wrist rests?

Yes, check out inanis' shop

Offline Bucake

« Reply #14743 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 23:08:09 »
thank you CPT!

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #14744 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 03:34:29 »
If I can get an IBM Model M2 for a lot cheaper than a Model M just to try out buckling springs, is it worth it?

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #14745 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 05:53:52 »
The M2 is nice but it isn't quite the same as an F or M.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14746 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 10:35:25 »
If I can get an IBM Model M2 for a lot cheaper than a Model M just to try out buckling springs, is it worth it?

I think they're worth it. M2's aren't bad other than the capacitor issue.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14747 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 11:38:17 »
M2's aren't bad other than the capacitor issue.

I have never taken one apart, but aren't the stabilizers easy to break and difficult to replace?
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14748 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 11:39:05 »
M2's aren't bad other than the capacitor issue.

I have never taken one apart, but aren't the stabilizers easy to break and difficult to replace?

Dunno, I've not taken one apart either. It's my understanding it's hard to get parts for the M2 in general.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #14749 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 12:03:25 »
Yeah the M2 is absolutely awful to take apart. I'd never wish it on anyone.