Author Topic: Best Free Video Editing Software  (Read 1892 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Best Free Video Editing Software
« on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 18:48:21 »
Occasionally, I need to do some simple video editing. Nothing major, simple is good, and I don't want to have to pay for it. We run Windows 7, but Ubuntu Linux might be acceptable if that was my best option.

My camera takes .MOV and my wife's takes .AVI, and I also need access to .WMV, as well as .FLV and other common stuff.

Generally, output to .MPEG4 seems best, but all these things fight with each other, and I am less picky as long as "it works" in general.

Windows Movie Maker does not play well with others.

Avidemux would be great, but some inputs (ie .WMV) yield output with no sound.

Do you have recommendations for something that is clean and straightforward?

Thanks !

Harry
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: Best Free Video Editing Software
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 19:11:47 »
I really like Adobe Premier Pro, really easy to work with and you can edit a video in an afternoon. Not technically free, but I think we all know better than that when it comes to Adobe products.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 20:44:25 »
Not sure what you mean, but I have a BAD ATTITUDE towards and prejudice against Adobe, except for an old version of Elements that I have used for years and really like.

I use Flash Player out of necessity, but grudgingly. It really irritates me how they try to load me up with crapware every time they "update"

I have Photoshop Elements and Premier, although they are a few iterations old by now.

Maybe I should re-install Premier and give it another shot. Is that what you suggest?

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 21:08:30 »
Well, just comparing to other free services I have used: MS Movie Maker is decent, it just doesn't have many tools or options. I hated almost everything about Cyberlink Power Director, I don't even know where to begin with what's wrong with it. Some people at school use VirtualDub, but I never have so can't vouch for it.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 02:20:01 »
I've been using the built in windows movie maker to edit all my youtube videos, and that thing is just pure garbage. It always crashes on me when I try to transcode videos that are over 30 min long. My computer is OC'ed and I thought that was the problem at first, but I found out it was the software that was just crap.

So I guess, anything BUT windows movie maker. I'm open for suggestions too.

Offline Larken

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 03:45:26 »
I use premiere pro for complicated projects, but that was a few years ago.

If you're willing to use more than one program in your workflow, you could consider a combination of mediacoder (a transcoder to standardize your inputs) and ezvid for the actual editing (mainly trimming/cutting and rearranging). I have no idea how extensive ezvid's features are, but its free.

Generally what I would do is to throw my files into mediacoder (accepts mov, flv, wmv and 90% of other files I've thrown at it) and output it to a standard format (either divx/mp3 in avi, or h264/faac in mkv or mp4 container) before I even begin the editing process - it's an extra step, but it simplifies the need for having an editor that supports all the formats.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 18:44:24 »
I'm not into video editing or whatever, but when I have to do something like that, Kdenlive works ok. It's actually one of the very few "multimedia" apps I'm able to use without much trouble—I usually have hard time understanding those fancy user interfaces.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 20:42:24 »
I suggest to give Cinelerra a try out.

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 23:14:26 »
I never tried Cinelerra, but the last time I took a hard survey of free (or libre) editing software was about 5 years ago. Back then all of the most interesting decoding/encoding could be done with ffmpeg library... But sad to say that no matter what technology an editing program used, the result would be audio that would go seriously out of synch some time after the 60 minute mark. And the problem was always worse if transcoding was involved.

A large number of cheaper commercial titles (like iMovie/iLife) also suffered this malady. Keeping audio in synch (something that was effortless in the analog years) was considered unimportant unless you had a pretty substantial budget.

I did not want to resort to something like Pinnacle or Adobe Premiere or Final Cut Pro just to do simple transcoding and splices, so I stopped being interested in that pursuit.

My takeaway from that experience is that coders have some very astonishing blind spots; the kind you could walk an elephant through. Basics get lost in the hype, and Open Source projects are no less hype-y than the rest. They can keep turning out the garbage because some social dynamic involved permits it to continue.
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 12:08:43 »
If you are willing to go hardcore try Avisynth -> http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Main_Page
Script based, no GUI, open source, and it can do everything Adobe Premiere/AfterEffects can do... and even more!

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 12:58:11 »
The biggest key with keeping audio in sync is to not allow the software to use variable framerate, which is just f*cking retarded anyway. Not sure why that is even the default on so many since it does just create out of sync audio.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 13:23:13 »
VirtualDub in conjunction with AviSynth is what I use and what I would recommend for simple linear editing. Lightworks is probably the best free(ware) editor, and actual commercial movies are made with it, but it's too complicated for me.