Author Topic: Alps help  (Read 1448 times)

Offline Abacus1234

Alps help
« on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 03:51:10 »
I am kind of a noob when it comes to Alps switches. Is there like an Alps thread out there that has all the info? I have had trouble finding good info. Specifically, I'd like to know about durability (supposedly cherry are 50 million actuations), the amount of force required to activate the different ones, and a possible good board to try them out without spending too much money (I prefer cherry browns, so is there an alps switch that is tactile but non-clicky?).  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Alps help
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 09:38:36 »
The most common Alps "starter" is the Dell AT101. It has black Alps, which are linear, and depending on who you are talking to, might be slightly tactile or might not.

These boards are common and relatively cheap, but beware, while a good one is very nice, a bad one is not pleasant. Do not judge all Alps by a bad AT101.

Apple Extended Keyboard and AEK2 are good boards, the AEK2 is also plentiful and cheap, but will require an ADB-to-USB adapter ($25 on ebay).

From there, they get much harder to find and more expensive.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 09:41:33 »
^Essentially what fohat said.  I've found that Black alps tend to be the most commonly found, cheapest alps...but when they are in bad condition...they are in BAD condition. 
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 09:53:38 »
AFAIK the only ALPS switch that claims in the neighborhood of 50M keystrokes is Matias. Their two switch types are tactile-clicky and tactile-quiet. They are in current production but the boards start at $130 for a model without tenkey.
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 09:57:56 »
Just to clarify, I think the reference to cheap may have been in relation to newer mechanical boards. 

I've been looking at Apple Extended Keyboards - Model M0115 to try out the orange Alps variant, and been out-bid several times already.  Going rates on Ebay seem to be $35.00 - $50.00, when shipping is included.  These prices don't necessarily include cables or adapters to convert to PC connectivity.

On the other hand, I got a black Dell AT101 (black linear Alps) for $5.00 at a local computer scrapper, and an older Magitronic board (white clicky Alps) for $25.00 shipped.  YMMV, of course.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 10:04:14 »
I got my hands on a Mr. Interface Switch Try Bag and wrote a review on the switches. The bag has a lot of Alps switches and I documented my thoughts on each there.

Offline Abacus1234

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 21:17:52 »
Well thanks to everyone who responded. You guys gave me some good places to start looking.

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 13:04:15 »
Well thanks to everyone who responded. You guys gave me some good places to start looking.
If you like linears my Packard Bell with Greens feels fantastic.
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline iri

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 15:02:51 »
anyone compared linear alps to linear cherries?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 15:03:22 »
anyone compared linear alps to linear cherries?

For one thing, the actuation point is in a different place.

Offline iri

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 15:06:05 »
higher on alps?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 15:07:23 »
To me, it feels like it's almost at the top. Very high up. The Cherry actuations all seem to be more centered.

Offline iri

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 15:10:51 »
makes linear alps attractive in my eyes... now i have to try moar boards :(

-Ray Bradbury