Author Topic: Software issue  (Read 1150 times)

Offline mAz

Software issue
« on: Sat, 23 March 2013, 11:40:49 »
Hey guys, just a quick one... FYI: DO NOT TYPE THE ADDRESS IN QUESTION INTO YOUR BROWSER

I have been having a few issues recently with my PC in terms of connecting to the internet (kept dropping out). I did the usual "turn it off and on again" and slowly progressed to more P.I.T.A things like router settings and driver roll-backs.

Anyways, I ended up borrowing a USB wireless adaptor (TP-Link if that helps) and I was able to finally connect to the internet. I decided to download the Network Monitor tool from the Microsoft website and see what I could find out by seeing what was connecting to me if there was anything and see if I could find an indicator to the issue (It is only my PC that is having issues, Mac + Phones are all connecting fine). As I was watching the list, I noticed something I have never heard of before called "Poolus.Exelator.com", I searched on Google to see what I could find and was greeted by pages of IP's and nothing else that I could understand.

Reluctantly, I went onto the old laptop I have spare for these sort of issues and typed that address into the web-bar... Instantly, a DL started so before it could complete, I pulled the plug to the laptop. As this is something I have never heard of or experienced before, I'm hoping someone on here could help me out?

Dan

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Re: Software issue
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 10:10:45 »
Generally what I do for these sort of problem is first download the AV live linux disc and boot and do virus scan. This is good because it is running scan from a read only and since it is linux it can't load the windows virus in memory on booting to hide itself. Then when that is finish I would run malwarebytes in chameleon mode to just make sure.

Offline mAz

Re: Software issue
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 10:12:14 »
@IvanIvanovich - Thanks, I will get on with that and hopefully post some results here a bit later on!