Author Topic: Anyone with Browns and Reds in the NY/NJ metro area?  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Spokoman

Anyone with Browns and Reds in the NY/NJ metro area?
« on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 09:45:08 »
I want to get the Ducky shine 2 tkl. I'm a n00b and this is going to be my firs mechanical keyboard.
I went to Micro Center to test some out. But they only have it in boxes, so I had to take some out. I only found Blues. That felt awesome, but since I game (mostly RTS) at night it's a bit too loud.

Does anyone have Reds and Browns for show. I live/work near George Washington Bridge NY/NJ. Coffee/tea/beer is on me :)

I read some threads and I think the conclusion is it's a preference thing, so I actually need to lay my fingers on one of those sexy things ;D
Ducky Shine II Blue LED Brown Switches
CM QF TK Red LED Red Switches

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Anyone with Browns and Reds in the NY/NJ metro area?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 09:48:21 »
The Microcenter I went to had all the common MX switches as well as White Alps. Surprised the one you went to doesn't have them. And boost is looking to have a NYC/NJ meetup. Go check that out and you can OD on boards :P

Offline jabar

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 09:48:51 »
Both are good options for gaming, so it might be hard to decide even after a small test! I've been switching between my Red and Brown boards in rotation for gaming, not sure what I prefer most.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline Spokoman

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 09:59:47 »
Both are good options for gaming, so it might be hard to decide even after a small test! I've been switching between my Red and Brown boards in rotation for gaming, not sure what I prefer most.
Oh great, now you're suggesting I get both! mwahahahhaa

Offline Spokoman

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 10:03:37 »
The Microcenter I went to had all the common MX switches as well as White Alps. Surprised the one you went to doesn't have them. And boost is looking to have a NYC/NJ meetup. Go check that out and you can OD on boards :P
Well, first I asked a guy on the floor there, he obviously didn't know what I was talking about and just directed me to where all keyboards are. There was a lot. Idk, maybe I missed it. I was a bit rushed since my wife decided to come along with our little baby and I told her I need some time and stay at home woman... sheesh! :P

Anyway, that meetup sounds sweet, how do I find out more details?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 10:09:48 »
Meetup link here.

I'll find models of boards that have reds and browns at Microcenter and link you later if you want to try again. The mech boards are found in the "Gaming Section" at my MicroCenter.

Offline Spokoman

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 12:42:34 »
Meetup link here.

I'll find models of boards that have reds and browns at Microcenter and link you later if you want to try again. The mech boards are found in the "Gaming Section" at my MicroCenter.
Great, thanks!

Offline ktownhero

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 12:55:39 »
I want to get the Ducky shine 2 tkl. I'm a n00b and this is going to be my firs mechanical keyboard.
I went to Micro Center to test some out. But they only have it in boxes, so I had to take some out. I only found Blues. That felt awesome, but since I game (mostly RTS) at night it's a bit too loud.

Does anyone have Reds and Browns for show. I live/work near George Washington Bridge NY/NJ. Coffee/tea/beer is on me :)

I read some threads and I think the conclusion is it's a preference thing, so I actually need to lay my fingers on one of those sexy things ;D

I am in the area, but I'm not going to meet up just to show you a keyboard :P.  Take a drive over to the Microcenter in Paterson, NJ and try a couple boards out.  Last time I went there they had blue, brown and red switches available to try out, including one Ducky Shine board (that was hidden far behind a mess of other keyboards). 

Personally, I don't like the red switches at all.  They provide no feedback and just feel mushy.  I'm partial to browns because they activate just as easily as red, but actually let you know that you're doing something.  Not a big fan of switches that have no feedback, something about it doesn't feel right. 

Offline Spokoman

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 12:43:13 »
OK, I got a partial solution. I got my work place to order Reds for me and I'm going to get Browns for home  ;D
Actually I am typing this on a CM QF TK Cherry MX Reds  :D

[ Specified attachment is not available ]

I have to say a mechanical keyboard feels awesome!! It's a bit hard right now, because I'm still used to the layout of the MS Ergonomic 4000. But the joy of typing is there :)
However, I am going to use this for typing at work and I have to say when compared to MX Blues I tested at Micro Center I liked those better. I don't know about gaming, cause I haven't tried it yet. This is my general feeling. Perhaps I'm the I-prefer-feedback-while-typing-guy.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 13:51:01 »
i was gonna offer if you were on the NY side as long as i don't gotta pay tolls lol
i have a ducky brown and filco red & blue & CM QF Blue =D