Author Topic: Original "Mighty Mouse"  (Read 3642 times)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Original "Mighty Mouse"
« on: Fri, 16 May 2008, 08:15:36 »
For those of you that can't wait for the new improved mighty mouse from Unicomp...here is the original available on ebay for next to nothing:

Check it

Offline Mikecase00

• http://www.mikecase.net
Original "Mighty Mouse"
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 16 May 2008, 10:36:06 »
does that design use buckling springs?  the keys look different than on the typical IBM boards.
IBM Model M 1391401 (dyed black) w/ keys from M-13
IBM M-13 Trackpoint (naturally black)
IBM Model M 1392934 SpaceSaver
Several plain IBM 1391401 Ms
Epson Equity Q203A
http://www.mikecase.net

Offline iMav

Original "Mighty Mouse"
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 16 May 2008, 10:45:35 »
Quote from: Mikecase00;4680
does that design use buckling springs?  the keys look different than on the typical IBM boards.

DEFINITELY not buckling springs.

This is the same as the last model mighty mouse keyboards Unicomp made.  The replacement keyboard they are working on will have buckling springs.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Original "Mighty Mouse"
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 17 May 2008, 01:40:24 »
Does this one look familiar?

http://www.zoooz.com/keyboard/collect/content.asp?idx=167

I'm hesitant to believe Unicomp is capable of any real design chops with the exception of shaving the edges off the Model M and calling it a spacesaver. That and making the LED graphics FUGLY!

Offline iMav

Original "Mighty Mouse"
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 17 May 2008, 07:03:30 »
Same thing.  That is what is up for sale on Ebay.  Unicomp made them for IBM (as then did with Model M's).

I think we need a female member to give Jim (@ Unicomp) a call.  Maybe he can be sweet-talked into giving up some additional information regarding the Mighty Mouse replacement.  :)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Original "Mighty Mouse"
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 17 May 2008, 09:57:53 »
I bet it will just like some other model from their past. I hope it will come out and be something new, but I don't have faith in them.

Offline iMav

Original "Mighty Mouse"
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 17 May 2008, 10:07:37 »
Quote from: xsphat;4711
I bet it will just like some other model from their past. I hope it will come out and be something new, but I don't have faith in them.

Unless they don't release it, it will have to be something new.  Buckling springs in the Mighty Mouse layout ALONE mandates a new design.

Offline iMav

Original "Mighty Mouse"
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 21 May 2008, 12:11:44 »
I actually ended up buying this keyboard to see what it is like.  Reminds me a lot of the old Thinkpad keyboards.  No replacement for my HHKB...but almost as fun as an old 4100 to type on.

That being said...I typed on it for 15 minutes and am now back on my HHKB Pro.  ;)

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
Original "Mighty Mouse"
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 22 June 2008, 08:45:08 »
Quote from: iMav;4713
Unless they don't release it, it will have to be something new.  Buckling springs in the Mighty Mouse layout ALONE mandates a new design.

You know, I just realized... they DO have something in their partsbin that could work, although it would take some retooling to add Windows keys and the TrackPoint... and to make it a spacesaver.

The IBM Model M2.

Just as thin as a cheap rubber dome board (of course, many M2s WERE cheap rubber dome boards, but there were some that were buckling spring,) lower weight for the 101 key version than even the 84-key Model M SpaceSaver (due to not having a steel backplate,) and they could chop off the numpad, add a TrackPoint, and call it a Mighty Mouse.

Not to mention, it'd be stupid cheap to build - their only cheaper to build keyboards are the crap membrane keyboards that they sell that I'm 99% sure nobody buys.

True, not the Mighty Mouse LAYOUT, but... I don't like the Mighty Mouse layout, so something like that is actually what I'm hoping this thing would be. ;)

Offline iMav

Original "Mighty Mouse"
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 12 July 2008, 08:32:52 »
BTW, there have been several Unicomp Mighty Mouse keyboards (with trackpoint) being sold on Ebay for peanuts lately.  Here's one.  All of them have been sold by this same seller.  I'm guessing they have a ton of them and are trickling them through Ebay.

I have an 84H8503 (the IBM-branded one made by Unicomp) and the switching mechanism is pretty interesting.  It's not a rubber dome, it's more of a "buckling rubber sleeve".  I'll have to take some pics when I get some time.  Short throw and decent feel (for a non-mechanical, non-buckling spring keyboard).

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
Original "Mighty Mouse"
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 12 July 2008, 14:48:50 »
Right, that's what the first ThinkPads, which set the benchmark for key feel, used.

Interestingly, the current ThinkPads are using scissors, yet can pull off equal or better key feel.