Author Topic: Hello GeekHack, greetings from France.  (Read 1738 times)

Offline Coumbaya

Hello GeekHack, greetings from France.
« on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 10:54:52 »
Well hello everybody !

Let me introduce myself : I'm French, 24, been on a computer since I was 5 (the family's IBM-PC).
I have a thing for high-quality tech-products (but only the ones that cater to my needs...Function over form), and I've recently been talked into buying a mechanical, so here I am !

After 2 days of googling, I've bought myself a Filco Majestouch 2 in Cherry Brown flavor (French Layout, quite hard to find), a set of blank/black keycaps (couldn't find any Ninjas for my layout) and a dozen or so fun keycaps. I haven't received my keyboard yet, so I'm a bit nervous because it's probably the first time I buy a keyboard without trying it !

My two previous keyboards were some 80€ "high-end" Logitech Illuminated, welp, the price does sound a bit ridiculously low now...
Why two previous keyboards ? Because I have the bad habit of drinking beer in front of my computer and I guess poor motor coordination skills ! I seriously hope to avoid killing my 200€ mechanical before a few years...
I wasn't particularly disappointed by the scissor-tech on my previous keyboards, but I DO remember enjoying some low-cost, office mechanicals.

The thing that reaaalllyyy got me into buying one was a picture on a forum of a tenkeyless, all caps full black except for the left and right Alt with the little dude from Portal entering and getting out of one.
Let me tell you I've searched HOURS to find those caps, which originated from a group buy I saw here at GeekHack, but with zero luck. Well I guess once I'm in the stuff and more knowledgeable about online-stores etc, I might find them !

I plan on tinkering a lot with my keyboard, but I'll probably restrict myself from spending too much tho, because 220€ is already a bit too much for my paycheck haha.

Well that's it folks, you know everything ! I'll update my profile with a good picture of my board as soon as I got it.
Filco MJ2, Browns, Skull Squadron Ducky Shine III, Browns, Granite Unknown, White Alps & trackpad 1390132 & 1391402 Model M

Offline rian88

• Do not be afraid to admit that you are not perfect
Re: Hello GeekHack, greetings from France.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 10:56:41 »
Welcome to forums, its great to have you on board look forward to sharing some discussions with you.

Offline Coumbaya

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 12:12:58 »
Likewise ;)
Filco MJ2, Browns, Skull Squadron Ducky Shine III, Browns, Granite Unknown, White Alps & trackpad 1390132 & 1391402 Model M

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 12:16:33 »
Welcome to geekhack!!!
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 13:34:19 »
Welcome!  I make sure I put my liquids behind me. I came close many times already... I spilled on my mouse once hehe.
SmallFry! <3

Offline Coumbaya

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 13:39:45 »
Welcome to geekhack!!!
Thanks !

Welcome!  I make sure I put my liquids behind me. I came close many times already... I spilled on my mouse once hehe.
At this point I'm starting to wonder if I'm not ill ! 396€ worth of keyboards in two years !
I for one have got myself an unspillable glass (the bottom is semi-spherical with a sort of "guard", so it can't really knock it.). ****, I'm an alcoholic...

Offline Joxx

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 23:18:00 »
Bienvenue! You know what is harder to find? Ansi layout in France -_-
Ducky 9087 MX Brown | Blackwidow  MX Blue  | CM TK MX Red | Looking for a QFR MX Blue!

Offline Coumbaya

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 23:38:08 »
Bienvenue! You know what is harder to find? Ansi layout in France -_-

Merci !
I thought everyone ordered over the net everything haha.
I guess I couldn't bring myself to use Ansi for everyday clack anyway, this damn small Enter key !  :))

Offline Joxx

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 04:28:22 »
I got used to it. Everything is on the internet but the problem is the VAT tax, especially if I go with EMS (chronopost), you know how much of a thief they are and make you pay ridiculous amount for their services.
Ducky 9087 MX Brown | Blackwidow  MX Blue  | CM TK MX Red | Looking for a QFR MX Blue!