Author Topic: Unicomp Ultra Classic Conversion (UPDATE: Didn't Work)  (Read 2539 times)

Offline nsrexler

Unicomp Ultra Classic Conversion (UPDATE: Didn't Work)
« on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 20:26:48 »
I have a Unicomp "Classic 104" that I bought a few years ago, but it takes up a bit too much space on my desk. I was thinking of buying an "Ultra Classic" case from Unicomp and moving the entire keyboard into that. Does anyone know if this is possible? Will all the parts fit properly?
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 May 2013, 12:07:34 by nsrexler »

Offline nsrexler

Re: Unicomp Ultra Classic Conversion
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 08:31:45 »
I got a response from Unicomp about this:

The internals are different between the Classic and UltraClassic. The Classic internals would not fit inside the UltraClassic cover set.

Thank you for the inquiry and your interest in our keyboards.

Best regards,

Customer Service

Has anyone actually tried this though, before I give up on it? Because based on pictures I've seen of Model M internals, it looks like it should be able to squeeze into an Ultra Classic case.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 08:34:28 »
Mkawa and dante might know. Mkawa has been working on his SSK-Revival which is based on Unicomp parts I think. If you find that thread it might help.

Offline nsrexler

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 08:36:25 »
Also, for what it's worth, from https://pckeyboard.com/page/category/UltraClassic:

The Ultra Classic is our BEST keyboard. It's built with the same buckling spring mechanisms, keybuttons, and steel baseplate as used on the Classic. The stair stepped keys, tactile "clicky" feel, and robust design are the same as well. It's Ultra because it uses a newly designed clamshell cover set reducing the footprint by 20% and eliminating almost ½ pound of plastic.

This seems to imply that the only difference between the two keyboards is the shell, but I guess there might be differences in the controller placement, cable management, etc.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 11:06:16 »
unfortunately i don't work with the classic or ultraclassic or any other the other new unicomp internals. i would go with what unicomp said OR buy a chassis alone and be prepared to get the hacksaw out :D

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline nsrexler

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 11:47:01 »
unfortunately i don't work with the classic or ultraclassic or any other the other new unicomp internals. i would go with what unicomp said OR buy a chassis alone and be prepared to get the hacksaw out :D

Damn =\
Maybe dante knows, we'll have to wait until he sees my PM.
Alternatively, does anyone have a Unicomp Ultra Classic/Spacesaver that they would be willing to open up and take pictures of? I've been having a hell of a time trying to find pictures of the inside of one using Google.
I'm looking for pictures of the plate/membrane assembly, position/size of controller board and cables, and the empty case. If you have a Classic/Customizer/normal IBM board to compare as well, that would be even better.

If all else fails I'll just buy a brand new Ultra Classic, but I'd rather just buy a $20 case and move my existing keyboard into it if that's possible.

Offline dante

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 11:55:00 »
Anything is possible - all it takes is money.

I do not have enough experience messing around inside Unicomp's unfortunately.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 12:02:54 »
Hacksaw and glue it is! Sorry the 2 random names i threw out didnt help you OP

Offline nsrexler

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 12:28:14 »
I think I'm just going to go for it, I'll post the results in this thread after the case arrives.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 12:31:39 »
For keyboard science!!

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 14:34:42 »
On your current Classic, where is the PS2/USB cord exiting the case?  If it is above the F4 key, then I doubt you would get the controller to fit in the Ultra case.  If it is above the LED panel, then would imagine a much easier time getting it to fit, since it should be about the same size as the Ultra controller.

Couldn't speak for the rest of the internals though.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline nsrexler

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 15:59:48 »
The USB cord exits above the LED panel on mine.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 16:29:29 »
I have both and have never taken them apart.  If I have a chance, I'll take a look some time this weekend.  IIRC, the membranes are not the same between the two, but I thought that the barrel frame was the same.
Russ

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 14:34:08 »
I have both and have never taken them apart.  If I have a chance, I'll take a look some time this weekend.  IIRC, the membranes are not the same between the two, but I thought that the barrel frame was the same.

I've taken both apart, but it has been a pretty long time so I'm having to go from memory. Photos would be helpful!

To my recollection though, key differences should be the membrane and the controller. The membrane main section (where the keys are) is identical between the two in terms of layout, but the connection location and length is completely different. Bear in mind that Unicomp has at least four different controller mounts but only one main plate mount - good old two-post plus ledge. So while the controller is electrically compatible (they're almost all electrically compatible for simplicity's sake) it's probably not mechanically compatible.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline nsrexler

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 19:00:03 »
The controller is not an issue here, since the only thing I'm changing is the outer case. The only thing I'm wondering is whether the internals (by which I mean the plate, membrane, barrel board, and everything else attached to it) will physically fit inside of the smaller case.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 12:29:05 »
The controller is not an issue here, since the only thing I'm changing is the outer case. The only thing I'm wondering is whether the internals (by which I mean the plate, membrane, barrel board, and everything else attached to it) will physically fit inside of the smaller case.

*sigh*
Way to completely fail basic reading comprehension there. Seriously. Great job.
"The controller is not an issue" you say.
Right. Because the controller is just magical #$&*!@&*ing fairy dust and isn't a PCB with a PSoC mounted in the chassis.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline nsrexler

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 19:47:05 »
I'm not exactly sure what your point is. As long as the controller board (which is attached to the plate along with everything else) physically fits inside of the new case, then I'm good.

Offline nsrexler

Re: Unicomp Ultra Classic Conversion (UPDATE: Didn't Work)
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 12:10:45 »
Well, it didn't work. The Classic plate is too big to fit in the Ultra Classic case, and the mounting points are all different. It was worth a try, anyway.

Anyone in the Maryland/DC area interested in a used Unicomp Classic 104 or an Ultra Classic case? PM me if interested. I'll post them in the Classifieds section if nobody claims them.