Author Topic: Soldering, Desoldering - Australia?  (Read 2682 times)

Offline Moomoo

Soldering, Desoldering - Australia?
« on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 01:16:31 »
GH,

I've managed to get a hold of a custom from Korea, however I would like to change a few things on the board. I was wondering if anyone knew someone (trustworthy) who could offer service like White Fire Dragon but in Australia?

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 01:42:15 »
I'm not sure how much shipping would be because I know those Korean boards are heavy, but I'd be willing to mod your board for free if you get it to the states, and I'd be willing to halve your shipping cost on the way back.

Offline okooko

• afk.
Re: Soldering, Desoldering - Australia?
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 01:47:37 »
which custom did you pick up? do tell...

remedy the postage on the kmac2 was around 65 one way, which makes it very difficult for one way postage let alone return.

I know caaaarrrrt does his own work but not sure whether he is offering it as a service, wouldn't hurt to ask, he's a good bloke.

also out of curiosity, what work are you wanting to get done assuming its all lubed/stickers/modded etc as you would expect any custom.

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 01:47:37 »
That halving the return shipping part sounds suspicious...
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 01:50:56 »
What? How would that sound suspicious...I understand shipping internationally, especially to/from Australia is insane. I'm just trying to be nice..especially if he can't find someone to do what he wants on his keyboard.

Offline Moomoo

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 01:52:46 »
That halving the return shipping part sounds suspicious...

I had the exact same feeling.

I got a KMAC, came with vintage blacks they feel a tad too light but very smooth. It came stickered, lubed etc... the whole lot. I don't really like the LED on the function rows and wanted to make them all red (mind you I already got the LEDs this arvo). I have the equipment at home to do it all but I am worried that I might **** on the PCB or something.

Offline Nunez

• BACK!
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 01:55:41 »
Where about in Aust? I know Caaaarrrt personally. He might be willing to do it to have a look at another custom :P Desoldered pokers and a Dolch. I'll link him this thread.
I miss Ripster :(
HHKB Pro 2 || KBC Poker || Filco MJ2

Offline Moomoo

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 01:56:04 »
What? How would that sound suspicious...I understand shipping internationally, especially to/from Australia is insane. I'm just trying to be nice..especially if he can't find someone to do what he wants on his keyboard.

In that case it sounds very of you. I don't mind paying to get it modified I just want it done properly a custom keyboard is like a jewellery to me mind sound weird but that's how I feel. I've tried them all and have a cupboard (Filco, Leopold, Razer, QFR you name it I hazzzz it).

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 01:57:33 »
Guess being nice backfired. :(
Jocelyn would beat me up for stealing something anyway. :P

If all your doing is changing the springs/LEDs, then shipping your board somewhere for a decent amount of cash is probably overkill, especially if you have the equipment.

Your plate allows for top housing removal, right?

Offline Moomoo

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 02:01:40 »
There's a few pictures of the keyboard (apologies about the potato quality)

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
Re: Re: Soldering, Desoldering - Australia?
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 02:02:20 »

Probably not. Can I pick up my stuff sometime this week? :P

Edit - remedyhalopc is cool :)

Offline Moomoo

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 02:03:42 »
Guess being nice backfired. :(
Jocelyn would beat me up for stealing something anyway. :P

If all your doing is changing the springs/LEDs, then shipping your board somewhere for a decent amount of cash is probably overkill, especially if you have the equipment.

I am sorry, it was truly nice from you to offer helping me out, usually generosity comes at a price well being gullible and all got me owned a few times.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 May 2013, 02:10:22 by Moomoo »

Offline Nunez

• BACK!
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 02:04:12 »
Looks nice... without the LEDs.
I miss Ripster :(
HHKB Pro 2 || KBC Poker || Filco MJ2

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 02:04:51 »
Yes the top housing comes off easily.

You should be able to do it yourself then. You'll just need a set of these.

« Last Edit: Mon, 06 May 2013, 02:12:04 by Jocelyn »

Offline Moomoo

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 02:05:47 »
Looks nice... without the LEDs.

I know right, I don't mind the WASD one and the escape especially with "The ancient" on it but the function rows looks odd unless they're 1 colour.

Offline Moomoo

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 02:06:49 »

You should be able to do it yourself then.

Too scary

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
Re: Re: Re: Soldering, Desoldering - Australia?
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 02:07:49 »
Too scary

It's easier than changing keycaps ;)
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 May 2013, 02:11:16 by Jocelyn »

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 02:07:52 »
I'm not sure how much shipping would be because I know those Korean boards are heavy, but I'd be willing to mod your board for free if you get it to the states, and I'd be willing to halve your shipping cost on the way back.

He contacted me and I said I'd just do it for him, but shipping it across the pond, both ways, is prohibitive. I didn't realize he was from Aus at first.

No KMACs support this. The only korean custom that do, are the LZ boards I believe. But even if they support removable switches, you still need to desolder LEDs no matter what.

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 02:10:10 »
No KMACs support this. The only korean custom that do, are the LZ boards I believe. But even if they support removable switches, you still need to desolder LEDs no matter what.

Yeah I didn't think so and my above posts were made with the assumption he was correct. I'm mobile and I couldn't tell for sure from the photos. Thanks WhiteFireDragon!

Offline Moomoo

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 02:11:19 »
I thought you meant the plate, my bad

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 02:13:35 »

You should be able to do it yourself then.

Too scary

lol no don't do what they're recommending you. That's a KMAC 1 series, and you can't just pull off the top like that. You'll either ruin the switch or rip it off from the PCB. I'm not sure what you mean by the top housing comes off easily, because it shouldn't.

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 02:20:07 »

He contacted me and I said I'd just do it for him, but shipping it across the pond, both ways, is prohibitive. I didn't realize he was from Aus at first.

This is why I love GH. One of the nicest communities I've been apart of, with one of the lowest "theft/screwing" rate I've seen. 

@OP

I promise the mods you want to do are EASY. I was super intimidated by modding when I installed a new plate for my QFR, but as I started doing it, I realized how easy it is. Especially the LEDs/spring swap.

You mentioned that you have a lot of boards...try to just desoldering one and then resolder a switch back on. The whole process is super simple. WFD has sweet videos + covers switch replacement.

Offline Moomoo

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 02:57:15 »
I agree the GH community is by far the best compared to society now a days offering help whenever someone needs it. It's not the spring itself that I am really concerned about, it's the LEDs which I don't like and I was told by WFD that de-soldering is a tricky process and that I may encounter complication why I am biased in attempting it.

Offline Caaaarrrt

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 06:32:52 »
I might be able to do it for you, I've modded 3 pokers desoldering, lubing and adding plate without issue, so I'll admit I'm not overly experienced but I could do it if you would like.

Sent a you a PM.
Metal Grey LZ-GH - 62g Clears | White HHKB Pro2 |KBC Poker - Lubed Reds w/ Plate and Red Imsto case | Duck PokerCM QuickFire Rapid - Blues w/ red case