Author Topic: Combining mechanical switches and negative tilt  (Read 3152 times)

Offline aquatic

Combining mechanical switches and negative tilt
« on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 13:08:25 »
Hi

I have a Microsoft natural ergonomic 4000 at the moment. I like the way it's tilted front up so that the wrists can rest on the pad and the fingers just hangs down in a relaxed way.

However I really hate the feel of the keys. Mushy and too much resistance. I tried a gaming keyboard with cherry blue switches and I loved it. So now I want to find a way to get both negative tilt and mechanical switches. So I wonder if anyone here have similar preferences and what solution you came up with.

I'm pretty certain that there aren't any negatively tilted keyboards with mechanical switches, so I guess the solution will have to be some sort of keyboard stand. I have seen this:http://ilcaustralia.org.au/products/3970. But its from an australian company and I haven't seen it sold in europe. Are there any european shops offering something similar?

Alternatively anyone has anyone had any luck with any homemade solution?

Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: Wed, 08 May 2013, 13:10:53 by aquatic »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Re: Combining mechanical switches and negative tilt
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 13:19:52 »
I've tried neg tilt on a couple mech boards, and I've always found that the edge of the space bar becomes really annoying. Might be able to fix that by reversing it though.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 13:23:14 »
A user named Lanx modded his ergo4k to have brown switches. I'm not sure Ive ever seen something so beautiful becuase I love the 4K's layout.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 13:26:34 »
Oooohhh yeah.. he's the guy with all the bionic mods. Great stuff.

Man, if I could have a 4K layout with Topre switches, I'd probably pay $4k for it. Would never happen though :(

Offline aquatic

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 13:37:59 »
I've tried neg tilt on a couple mech boards, and I've always found that the edge of the space bar becomes really annoying. Might be able to fix that by reversing it though.

Did you buy a keyboard tray or did you just prop it up with something?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 13:39:57 »
I have a couple Grifiti pads, and I stacked two on top of each other, slighly offset, so the board rested on the lower one, and my wrists rested on the top one.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 13:41:06 »
A user named Lanx modded his ergo4k to have brown switches. I'm not sure Ive ever seen something so beautiful becuase I love the 4K's layout.

Here is a link to Lanx's board that capt is talking about

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=12439.0

Offline aquatic

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 13:54:58 »
I have a couple Grifiti pads, and I stacked two on top of each other, slighly offset, so the board rested on the lower one, and my wrists rested on the top one.

Apart from the spacebar annoyance, did it work well? Could you relax your fingers in that position?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 13:59:46 »
I'm not so sure that I'm the best to comment on that, as my fingers are pretty relaxed pretty much all the time.  But yeah, if you like negative tile, it works fairly well.