Author Topic: is the seller insane? almost thousand dollar keyboard  (Read 4788 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline uzoc

Re: is the seller insane? almost thousand dollar keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 11:24:36 »
He's hoping people will say... "Yeah, but its worth it!"?
I don't think the problem is the pricing...
The problem is who pays the price!

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 11:30:57 »
well said! as long as he can find one insane buyer for that yellowed, aged and not-exceptionally-superior-quality board, he's made!
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline HongKongFui

• No, you couldn't
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 11:41:39 »
look at his other items to sell. he offers a couple of them and the lowest price I found was something 600 bucks. The most expensive was around 900 bucks :)

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 12:26:21 »
well said! as long as he can find one insane buyer for that yellowed, aged and not-exceptionally-superior-quality board, he's made!

Why do you say the keycaps are yellowed?  They look NIB to me.  And what is wrong with the quality of the vintage G80-3000HAU's?  Do you know something that nobody else knows?

That does not mean that I agree that this keyboard is worth $779.  The problem for me is that he has the keycaps from a G81-3000SAU on a G80-3000HAU keyboard.  There is nothing wrong with that, but I'm not sure it's worth $779 for a "hybrid" keyboard.  Either way, you guys are looking at a serious vintage Cherry collector.  I have been waiting for the market to crash on these guys, who have been paying ~$1,000 for G80-3000SAU's.  Everybody wants those legendary PBT dye sub keycaps for sure, but the prices went crazy.  From the comments in this thread, it looks like maybe the market can no longer sustain those sky-high prices.  But if this keyboard gets sold for $779, I would say the market has not hit the top yet.  So who knows?
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline dante

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 12:33:02 »
he is no more insane than those who asked $250 for a red escape key

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 12:34:11 »
he is no more insane than those who asked $250 for a red escape key

Except that he is living in the past.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 15:00:32 »

Why do you say the keycaps are yellowed?  They look NIB to me.  And what is wrong with the quality of the vintage G80-3000HAU's?  Do you know something that nobody else knows?

That does not mean that I agree that this keyboard is worth $779.  The problem for me is that he has the keycaps from a G81-3000SAU on a G80-3000HAU keyboard.  There is nothing wrong with that, but I'm not sure it's worth $779 for a "hybrid" keyboard.  Either way, you guys are looking at a serious vintage Cherry collector.  I have been waiting for the market to crash on these guys, who have been paying ~$1,000 for G80-3000SAU's.  Everybody wants those legendary PBT dye sub keycaps for sure, but the prices went crazy.  From the comments in this thread, it looks like maybe the market can no longer sustain those sky-high prices.  But if this keyboard gets sold for $779, I would say the market has not hit the top yet.  So who knows?

So the board would be worth more if it were "original" without the thick keys?

This is far out of my range, but it does look like a very nice and desirable board. I would have guessed that a third to a half of his asking price would have been appropriate, still far above me.

"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 09:11:05 »
This seller has had these boards up for months, probably almost a year now really. Sure vintage Cherry stuff is nice, but now we can buy the same PBT dyesubs new from BSP for around $100... the prices on used stuff must fall.

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 13:14:05 »
This seller has had these boards up for months, probably almost a year now really. Sure vintage Cherry stuff is nice, but now we can buy the same PBT dyesubs new from BSP for around $100... the prices on used stuff must fall.

Bsp doesn't have spacebars.
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 13:15:36 »
$800 spacebar.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 13:22:18 »
Considering what some of the dye subs used to sell for on the forum, I'm thinking he hasn't seen one on eBay in a while, so he's testing his luck. He may also be ignorant of what our communities have discovered with BSP and GMK.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 13:32:18 »
that price is high even comparing to prices from 1-2 years ago, with that being said the the seller definitely knows iirc he's a KBDmania/OTD.kr member

Keyboardless

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 13:34:07 »
In that case, he's just waiting for someone who is ignorant of our communities or some hardcore Cherry collector

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 13:40:50 »
I'm also thinking he _might_ have a lot invested in it as 3000SAU did not come often in Korea it was a tad easier to find in NA/EU, it's possible that he actually dropped that much on it 1-2 years back
Keyboardless

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 15:37:07 »
$800 spacebar.

can't you just use the spacebar form a cherry lasered board?

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 09:13:25 »
Maybe some fellow korean collector will pay him that much. I think 500 usd is the market price for the one he has, it's not a deal of how fare it is, as in any collectors item, value depends on rarity and what collectors are willing to pay. Good for him though, I hope he sells it at that price.
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Due chihuahua and demoncat orders
- Boobiecaps
- Optic fiber embedded keycaps
- Others