Author Topic: Leopold Vs Filco  (Read 8981 times)

Offline knotra

• I ญญญ♥ ⌂ ♫
Leopold Vs Filco
« on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 17:32:53 »
Hi guys. I want to get a new keyboard with brown switches and I have been looking at the Leopold TKL with brown switches and the Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 TKL with browns.

I know that these two brands are both great and make good quality keyboards but I want to know the pros and cons of each. (in a general perspective, not just these 2 boards)

Keycaps, feel, durability, etc.

I already have a filco with red switches so I know that they are great keyboards but I have never seen a Leopold in person or felt one. Also, if I were to get the filco, i would most likely be getting it from keyboardco.com so also what are your thoughts about that company. (service, shipping speed, prices, etc.) It would be shipping to California, US.

Thanks.

leopold: http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=leopold,tenkeyless&pid=fc200rtab
filco: http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=849
Keyboards: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, Das Model S Ultimate Tactile Soft, Das Model S Professional Tactile Click, Corsair Vengeance K90, Steelseries 6gv2 Black Switch, Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 Soft Linear Action, Ducky DK9087 Shine II w/ Browns, Ducky DK9008 Shine II w/ Blues, WASD Keyboard v1 w/ Browns, Leopold FC200R Tacticle Touch, White Filco Majestouch-2 TKL Click Action, Ducky DK9008G2 PRO Dark Grey Version PBT w/ Clears, Realforce 87U Tenkeyless 45g White/Grey

Offline mauri

Re: Leopold Vs Filco
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 17:37:18 »
I really don't like they key caps of ninja, they feel so damn slippery.

Of course you can go with the regularly printed ones ^^
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 17:38:18 »
My opinion, build quality is equal, so it is all about the little details. if you like in key lock lights and detachable cable then Leopold is the way to go. Some have concern about stabilizer type, and my opinion is Cherry stab are clearly superior so Leopold wins again. Stock keycaps on both totally suck so that is irrelevant in my view. I have owned 2 Leopold FC200 and none Filco even though I had opportunity to buy Filco at less than usual retail. I have friends that have Filco and I was never impressed at all.

Offline knotra

• I ญญญ♥ ⌂ ♫
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 18:07:43 »
My opinion, build quality is equal, so it is all about the little details. if you like in key lock lights and detachable cable then Leopold is the way to go. Some have concern about stabilizer type, and my opinion is Cherry stab are clearly superior so Leopold wins again. Stock keycaps on both totally suck so that is irrelevant in my view. I have owned 2 Leopold FC200 and none Filco even though I had opportunity to buy Filco at less than usual retail. I have friends that have Filco and I was never impressed at all.

the key lock lights don't really matter to me as for the detachable cable, i rather have it undetachable. I can always replace the keycaps on the board so that isn't as big of a deal as the feel and quality of the board.
Keyboards: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, Das Model S Ultimate Tactile Soft, Das Model S Professional Tactile Click, Corsair Vengeance K90, Steelseries 6gv2 Black Switch, Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 Soft Linear Action, Ducky DK9087 Shine II w/ Browns, Ducky DK9008 Shine II w/ Blues, WASD Keyboard v1 w/ Browns, Leopold FC200R Tacticle Touch, White Filco Majestouch-2 TKL Click Action, Ducky DK9008G2 PRO Dark Grey Version PBT w/ Clears, Realforce 87U Tenkeyless 45g White/Grey

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 18:25:52 »

Yeah, stock keys on both are pretty bad, and since you are on geekhack, chances are you are going to swap those out anyway. However, regarding the stabilizers, I personally have a preference for the Costar stabilizers that are on the Filco. I gues different people like different things. But using them side by side, Costar have always felt better to me than Cherry stabilizers. Though opinions on this differ widely.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline deadlyfunzo

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 19:03:38 »

Actually, the leopold FC700R TKL comes with PBT caps. They're pretty great. (Using it right now)
Leopold FC700R (Dark Grey/Mx Brown)/ Ducky DK9008G2 Pro PBT (GreyBlue/Mx Blue)/Logitech (K800) (King of wireless) (Squishy)

Offline dante

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 19:13:26 »
Prefer the Leopold more.  Filco puts some coating on their caps and it looks nasty when it comes off.  They even put it on the front printed 'ninja' caps and I don't know why.

Offline Saturn

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 19:16:15 »
I think the Filco is a better keyboard in every way.  The overall design and finish of the case, the non-detachable USB, the separate LED lock lights, the Costar stabilizers, and just the general feel of the board.  The Filco feels sturdier when I type on it, and has a louder bottom out "thock" sound.  Admittedly some of these differences are probably entirely psychological, and the others are definitely subjective.  When I compare my Leopold side by side with Filco, it seems like the Leopold is trying to be a passable imitation of a Filco, and while it is passable, the Filco still has the edge in all the little issues of feel and build quality.

For most people, the sticking point will be the Cherry stabilizers on the Leopold vs Costar on the Filco.  The Cherry stabilizers make the key action feel a bit mushy as you bottom out.  Some notice it more than others.

Since you already have a Filco, you might be disappointed going to a Leopold after that.  If you want something similar but cheaper you might be better off getting a QFR, or the WASD v2 when it releases, or go for something different like a Ducky.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 19:20:24 »

Actually, the leopold FC700R TKL comes with PBT caps. They're pretty great. (Using it right now)

Oh that is pretty sweet
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 20:06:03 »
Personally I prefer Costar stabilizers so the Filco wins there for me.  The other thing to know about Leopolds is that their spacebars have different mount points than the "standard" spacebar (i.e., that used by Filco, Rosewill, Poker, CM, etc.).  That can make it harder to use replacement key sets on them.  That said, most of our group buys these days come with universal spacebars that work with both Filcos and Leopolds, so this is less of an issue than it once was.

This is true, but EK does not sell the 700.  I believe the 200/500 are both lasered/infilled ABS. 

Offline Vintage

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 20:48:06 »
I say Filco because the non-standard spacebar is very annoying if you want to replace the caps.
CM QFR w/ MX Reds  | Logitech G900

Offline jabar

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 21:09:00 »
I would only recommend a Leopold if it's a FC700R with PBT keycaps (or maybe a FC660C once I get to try it).
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline knotra

• I ญญญ♥ ⌂ ♫
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 22:11:40 »
I would only recommend a Leopold if it's a FC700R with PBT keycaps (or maybe a FC660C once I get to try it).

what are the differences between the FC700R and the FC200R besides the keycaps?

Offline jabar

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 22:46:45 »
what are the differences between the FC700R and the FC200R besides the keycaps?
There aren't many other upgrades other than the FC700R coming with a silicone cover. The FC700R has a different spacebar mount whereas the FC200R can receive the universal SP 6.25 spacebar. The FC700R is the first Leopold manufactured in China, but I don't think any quality concerns have been reported.

I would be typing on mine but the modder left me with an intermittent Esc key which will require another complete desolder/solder.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 02:54:14 »
Build quality is equal... until you look at the main PCB. Filco's PCB is higher quality in this regards. Other than that, it comes down to preference, mainly in the stabilizers (Cherry vs Costar).