Author Topic: ATTN Mac Users  (Read 4177 times)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
ATTN Mac Users
« on: Wed, 09 July 2008, 01:56:15 »
I've had a real b*tch of a time switching away from the HHKB Pro 2 because of it's Mac controls - namely the Fn combo for vol up, down and power. The power can be remapped in the System Preferences pane (mine is F15 or the Pause key on my Northgate). But I couldn't find out how to remap the volume controls.

Well, I've found a way. I found a freebie program and now my vol - is F1 and my Vol + is F2.  Mute is F3. They even mention the Model M in the copy. Here's the link:

http://pth.com/products/pthvolume/

I have a feeling ashort and iMav will like this.

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
ATTN Mac Users
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 July 2008, 09:55:11 »
I'm not 100% pleased.  You've removed my very good excuse for coughing up $45 for a really big knob.

I'll be checking this out in short order!  Thanks!
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
ATTN Mac Users
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 July 2008, 11:09:36 »
Ooh.

/me remaps Print Screen to mute, Scroll Lock to volume down, and Pause to volume up

Brightness controls on the clicky keyboard, not so useful. Volume controls, useful.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
ATTN Mac Users
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 July 2008, 14:41:19 »
Quote from: ashort;6461
You've removed my very good excuse for coughing up $45 for a really big knob.

Takes one to buy one!

Just playing, ashort, I had too.

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
ATTN Mac Users
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 July 2008, 23:02:56 »
Quote from: xsphat;6463
Takes one to buy one!

Just playing, ashort, I had too.

Hey..let me know how you like yours.  :-D
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
ATTN Mac Users
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 10 July 2008, 01:09:21 »
Quote from: ashort;6469
Hey..let me know how you like yours.  :-D

Do you really want me to talk in length about my big knob?

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
ATTN Mac Users
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 10 July 2008, 07:15:08 »
/me head explodes.
Andrew

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
ATTN Mac Users
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 10 July 2008, 12:44:25 »
Quote from: xsphat;6457
I found a freebie program and now my vol - is F1 and my Vol + is F2.  Mute is F3. They even mention the Model M in the copy. Here's the link:

http://pth.com/products/pthvolume/

I have a feeling ashort and iMav will like this.

Very Cool.  I wanted to stay close to a program I use to do the same thing on the XP laptop so I mapped VolUP to Control-Command-Up, Volume Down to Control-Command-Down, and Mute to Control-Command-0.  

Works slick, I love it.  I am now free to use any keyboard as long as it has function keys.  =-D  I could see getting a good "pc" keyboard (Model M or Filco) and mapping those keys to PrtScr, ScrLk, and Pause like bhtooefr.
Andrew

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
ATTN Mac Users
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 10 July 2008, 14:19:23 »
Good, I'm glad you dig it. I remember us talking about this on other threads, and it has been a issue that has pissed me off for some time, and I have been looking for a program like this, so I had to share it the day I found it.

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
ATTN Mac Users
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 10 July 2008, 14:49:24 »
Quote from: xsphat;6480
Good, I'm glad you dig it. I remember us talking about this on other threads, and it has been a issue that has pissed me off for some time, and I have been looking for a program like this, so I had to share it the day I found it.

Not that I want to encourage such things in this group, but the program I use with XP is called "Volume Touch".  you use a key combo (I stick with the default "CTRL-Shift", since that works very well with my G84 keyboard) plus the scrolling mouse wheel to adjust the volume, or Ctrl-Shift-0 to mute.  Very nice, and now I have the same thing on my Mac.  =-D
Andrew

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
ATTN Mac Users
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 11 July 2008, 07:18:59 »
I'll just note that you'll have to disable the shortcuts for screen brightness to use those keys - it's under System Preferences, Keyboard & Mouse, Keyboard Shortcuts, Display.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
ATTN Mac Users
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 11 July 2008, 12:45:30 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;6499
I'll just note that you'll have to disable the shortcuts for screen brightness to use those keys - it's under System Preferences, Keyboard & Mouse, Keyboard Shortcuts, Display.

If you were aiming this at me, remember - I have a MacBook. The internal keyboard, F1 and F2 STILL control the brightness while on the Northgate (or any other external keyboard) F1 and F2 control the volume. I just tested both.

This would most likely not be the case with a Mac desktop system. Is that why you guys are all choosing the print screen, scroll lock and pause for this program?

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
ATTN Mac Users
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 11 July 2008, 17:48:10 »
On my iBook G4, I've got it set so you have to hit Fn to get the secondary function of an F-key. So, brightness is normally Fn-F1 and Fn-F2. Volume is Fn-F3 through F5.

On my external keyboard, in the default configuration (with the thing requiring hitting Fn to get the secondary function set, but that shouldn't apply to an external keyboard, and of course, before I got that program) the keys work as normal F-keys, with the exception of F12 (which when HELD acts as the same as Fn-F12 on the internal keyboard - eject,) Scroll Lock (aka F14,) which by default has the same function as Fn-F1, and Pause (aka F15,) which by default has the same function as Fn-F2.

And, I'm using Print Screen, Scroll Lock, and Pause because they're three essentially useless keys on a Mac, and my external keyboard has those keys. ;)

When I disabled those shortcuts, it did NOT disable the internal shortcuts on the iBook, only on the external board. As my Mac doesn't have F13 through F15 internally, it makes no difference to the internal functions.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
ATTN Mac Users
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 11 July 2008, 22:04:45 »
Gotcha. It's just different on the MacBook than. The internal keyboard seems to work independently of the settings I've changed.

Offline wellington1869

ATTN Mac Users
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 31 March 2009, 01:01:58 »
reviving old thread -- do you guys know any way to auto-map the model M with a mac, given that there is no windows key? (key word here being "auto" map).

I'm set model M capslock => control
model M control => alt
model M alt => command
and the non-existent win key got capslock (I can just use shift for capitals).

But whenever I unplug my model M from it, I'd like an easy way to swap them back I guess.  What do you guys do, if you're using an M with a mac? Do you go into system preferences everytime you arrive at or leave your desk?

[Edit - hold on, I just discovered the keyboard options :D Seems I can do a per keyboard setting? Nice. Trying it out now...]

[Edit 2: No luck. I tried every combo of everything. No model M keys switched positions. Any suggestions? :) ]

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
ATTN Mac Users
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 31 March 2009, 01:27:35 »
On my iBook, to get any settings to stick on a PS/2 to USB converter or on an EnduraPro, I had to set the GLOBAL settings to be what I wanted, and then change the built-in keyboard to be correct.

Then, after sleeping or rebooting, the built-in keyboard would be wrong, and I'd have to go in and reset it to defaults (you can just reset one board to defaults, though.)

Offline wellington1869

ATTN Mac Users
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 31 March 2009, 01:48:09 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;26225
On my iBook, to get any settings to stick on a PS/2 to USB converter or on an EnduraPro, I had to set the GLOBAL settings to be what I wanted, and then change the built-in keyboard to be correct.

Then, after sleeping or rebooting, the built-in keyboard would be wrong, and I'd have to go in and reset it to defaults (you can just reset one board to defaults, though.)

hmmm, that sounds confusing and annoying :)  I mean I guess there isnt just a macro some model M fanatic has written by now that keeps the settings in place?

So I got the remapping to stick by setting the global keys as you say. But that means I have to remap back and forth! ugh.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
ATTN Mac Users
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 31 March 2009, 01:56:57 »
What was really weird was, after a few weeks of this, it just magically stuck.

I think there's a bug somewhere in Leopard, and the correct code is only getting activated under one weird set of circumstances... *sigh*

Offline wellington1869

ATTN Mac Users
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 31 March 2009, 02:24:30 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;26231
What was really weird was, after a few weeks of this, it just magically stuck.

I think there's a bug somewhere in Leopard, and the correct code is only getting activated under one weird set of circumstances... *sigh*

I hope that happens to me... I'll pray to the leopard gods...