Author Topic: Is a blank keyboard right for me?  (Read 4105 times)

Offline rush340

Is a blank keyboard right for me?
« on: Tue, 29 July 2008, 12:18:38 »
I'm planning on getting the Das III, to hold me off until filco makes more spacesavers.  I'm not sure whether I should go with the blank or printed keys.  The blank definitely wins with it's aesthetics, but it wouldn't be smart of me to base my choice upon that alone.

I'm going to be using it mostly for coding.  I've been typing for most of my life, but I haven't learned to properly touch type.  I figured the blank keys would help me with that.  I know, I could always put a blanket over my hands or something, but I don't have the motivation to go through with that.

For those of you that bought blank keyboards, do you use it for coding as well?  Did it help your typing?  Is it annoying to use in any way (even after learning to type on it)?

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 29 July 2008, 12:25:49 »
Buy the blank keyboard, use it exclusively, and you will definitely adjust.  You'll learn exactly where your touch typing holes are and be forced to shore them up.

I DO question having blank keys that aren't easily reachable from the home row...but that's just me.  I own a blank HHKB Pro and have zero issues.

BTW...Welcome to geekhack!!

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 29 July 2008, 13:30:37 »
In the early days of my keyboard obsession, I painted all my keyboards so the keys were blank. I was a key watcher, and stupid as it sounds, I still typed better watching blank keys. What it boils down to is confidence. I have a printed black HHKB Pro 2, but unless it's in direct sunlight, it might as well be blank because the printing is black. The way I finally stopped watching the keys is by setting the keyboard on my MacBook on my lap and wrtiting in the dark.

I am thinking about buying a printed white HHKB Pro 2 because, as a professional writer, I often edit my stuff one-handed so I can keep one hand on the mouse to hop the cursor around. Aside from this single issue, I have not had any problems with blank keys. I don't know how much editing coders need to do, so take this advice only if it's a prevalent issue in your craft.
But blank keys are cooler, and no one will use your keyboard ever again.

Offline rush340

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 July 2008, 16:11:01 »
Thanks guys, I'll probably go with the blank one then.  I would be great if they had black printed keys...  Maybe they'll add it the lineup for Das Keyboard IV, hehe.

One other thing, I've read how the Cherry blue/brown/black switches compare to each other, but how do they compare to the alps black switches.  We have an old Dell keyboard (I think the model is GYUM900SK or something like that) that has alps switches in it, so that's all I have for reference right now.

Thanks again!

Offline bigpook

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 29 July 2008, 16:11:38 »
I have a keyboard with blank keys and its cool and all, but I don't look at the keys anyway, so it doesn't really matter for me. Unless of course I have been drinking. Then the printed keys come in handy. I don't really drink that much, but it is something that I have noticed.

I taught myself to type. I didn't need a towel or anything like that. Its all repetitive,  over and over, lots of practice.  But the blank keys are uber. But I am at a point where I don't really care. Get what YOU like. Thats all that matters.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline Korbin

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 29 July 2008, 16:40:51 »
I think most will agree that blank keys just look better. When your keyboard starts to get dirty, the dirt will start to show more from the contrast of black keys.

As a secodary note, I'm also a software developer. About a month ago I decided to switch to the Dvorak keyboard layout due to it's more programmer friendly layout (the equal, underscore and brackets are easier to reach). From an aesthetic view, it's nice to be able to switch between the 2 layouts without having the letters make it seem misleading :P.

Even if Dvorak isn't your thing, it's nice to have options. But either way, I would say go with the blank keys to train yourself to not look at the keys.
Keyboards: Nyquist, Ergodox, Levinson

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 29 July 2008, 16:47:28 »
Blank keys may also help keep co-workers/family from messing with stuff... ;)

Offline iMav

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 29 July 2008, 17:04:48 »
Quote from: itlnstln;7007
Blank keys may also help keep co-workers/family from messing with stuff... ;)

Blank keys plus Dvorak will DEFINITELY accomplish this.  ;)

Offline Korbin

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 29 July 2008, 18:00:54 »
Quote from: iMav;7009
Blank keys plus Dvorak will DEFINITELY accomplish this.  ;)

Hah! You would be surprised at the number of people that think the keyboard is just broken instead of checking the keyboard layout.
Keyboards: Nyquist, Ergodox, Levinson

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 30 July 2008, 05:57:36 »
Quote from: Korbin;7010
Hah! You would be surprised at the number of people that think the keyboard is just broken instead of checking the keyboard layout.

That just happened to me the other way around.  I thought I had inadvertently changed a keyboard layout causing my Evolution to type "wrong" wrong letters.  It was just broken.  (It was an easy fix, though; I just had to reset it).

Offline rush340

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 06 August 2008, 18:12:11 »
Well, I just ordered it.  Not a bad deal with my 30% student discount.  Can't wait.

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 06 August 2008, 19:40:19 »
Quote from: rush340;7162
Well, I just ordered it.  Not a bad deal with my 30% student discount.  Can't wait.
wait what, student discount?!?!

Offline LlamaZorz

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 07 August 2008, 01:07:39 »
Quote from: D-EJ915;7165
wait what, student discount?!?!

yeah what student discount.

Offline rush340

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 11 August 2008, 00:42:59 »
I think I had heard about it when searching around some forums (not sure if it was here).  I sent them an e-mail asking about it and they gave me a coupon code after I sent them a copy of my student ID.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 12 August 2008, 15:05:58 »
I think I had heard about it when searching around some forums (not sure if it was here). I sent them an e-mail asking about it and they gave me a coupon code after I sent them a copy of my student ID.

Well, who?

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 12 August 2008, 16:13:22 »
And what keyboard? Das III?

Offline iMav

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 12 August 2008, 19:06:32 »
Quote from: rush340;6993

Yes.  It's right for EVERYBODY.  (just not, necessarily, the Das iteration)  :)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 12 August 2008, 21:33:08 »
I'd like to hear more about this student discount, considering I will be starting college within a month and intend on purchasing a Das at some stage...

Offline rush340

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 13 August 2008, 18:39:51 »
Quote from: sofa king;7281
Well, who?

http://www.daskeyboard.com/contact-us.php