Author Topic: Leopold fc660m keycap customization  (Read 9664 times)

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
Leopold fc660m keycap customization
« on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 21:37:07 »
I just won an eBay auction for a Leopold fc660m cherry reds for 65.50 with shipping. I read that the space bar is a bit unique. Will that be a problem specifically for changing the keycaps to qtan's kbc black PBT blank keycaps?

Also hat are people's thoughts about this as a first board?
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Main driver : WASD CODE TKL MX Clear

Offline eyesmiles

Re: Leopold fc660m keycap customization
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 21:53:09 »
I did a brief review on the FC660M. Review Here. I have a picture of how different the stem spacing is for the spacebar. What you would have to do is harvest the stems from other keycaps and use epoxy putty so you can modify a spacebar to fit. There are other ways to get around the spacebar issue, but I feel that's the simplest. You can use the KBC blank keycaps, but you'd probably have to buy 2 sets so you can get a second 2.25x Shift key. In one of the pictures, you can see the grey Shift I had to use.

Since the FC660M already comes with PBT keycaps, I feel there's no need to buy another keycap set. But then again this is Geekhack, so who am I to stop you from dressing up your board ;) In terms of a first board, I'd say its a great choice, especially in the 60% layout area. I'm typing on my mine as I write this. Congrats on winning one at a great price and welcome to Geekhack :)

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 22:34:47 »
I did a brief review on the FC660M. Review Here. I have a picture of how different the stem spacing is for the spacebar. What you would have to do is harvest the stems from other keycaps and use epoxy putty so you can modify a spacebar to fit. There are other ways to get around the spacebar issue, but I feel that's the simplest. You can use the KBC blank keycaps, but you'd probably have to buy 2 sets so you can get a second 2.25x Shift key. In one of the pictures, you can see the grey Shift I had to use.

Since the FC660M already comes with PBT keycaps, I feel there's no need to buy another keycap set. But then again this is Geekhack, so who am I to stop you from dressing up your board ;) In terms of a first board, I'd say its a great choice, especially in the 60% layout area. I'm typing on my mine as I write this. Congrats on winning one at a great price and welcome to Geekhack :)

Awesome that somebody agrees that what I got was a steal :D. I might not customize this as this is going to be my first board and I know nothing about epoxy and stem harvesting D: (I am a complete nub). My second board will most likely be a Filco MJ2 with brown switches when I get the money...I know I won't have any problem customizing it.

How are your clear switches? Would you go Ergo-Clear or do you like it the way it is?

Edit:
I am a little upset that it doesn't come with a red keycap. She said that it didn't come with it when she got it. Hopefully I didn't buy it from the wrong person..but thank you money back guarantee...and again...$50 lol.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 June 2013, 22:41:30 by TimIsABat »
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Offline eyesmiles

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 22:45:12 »

How are your clear switches? Would you go Ergo-Clear or do you like it the way it is?

I enjoy heavier switches, so stock clears feel nice to me. I've tinkered with 65g ergo-clears and those felt ok, though I prefer panda-clears. I'll most likely leave my FC660M stock. I have a few projects I want to mess with first.

Edit: Mine didn't come with a red Esc, but rather that little package I show in one of the pictures that has an Enter key and 2 Esc Row keys, one windowed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 June 2013, 22:48:41 by eyesmiles »

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 23:19:11 »
Okay. The person claims she got it from QTan and didn't get any keys or other accessories. Planning on getting a cheap (or making my own) keycap puller so I can put IMSTO's silica red o-rings when I can. Might probably be better for me...who knows.

Gonna write my own review as a newb so that other members who are also in the market for their first keyboard can know how it might be to get a red mx 60% board would be like. Def going to have to get used to the lighter feel...Just hoping that the linear feel is better than a dome feel.

I just know that I am going to be happy being part of the mechanical keyboarding community!

Offline therecorder

Offline morpheus

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 01:30:47 »
Good first buy. I wish I had gotten Reds before I got Browns/Blues as I mentioned in another thread.  For me, the novelty factor of the Blues and Browns wore off pretty quickly. I think I like linear switches better.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 02:01:10 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43807.0

So I can still purchase caps from Qtan?

That  is awesome. I can get the all blank keys then XD

Good first buy. I wish I had gotten Reds before I got Browns/Blues as I mentioned in another thread.  For me, the novelty factor of the Blues and Browns wore off pretty quickly. I think I like linear switches better.

I feel like this might be the case with me. I was leaning towards Browns, but with how my life usually goes...I end up liking my second option...

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 02:04:12 »
Oooooo. I love the layout of this. I may have to pick one up.

No one tell my girlfriend. I haven't told her about the Filco I got yet. :P

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 02:16:04 »
Oooooo. I love the layout of this. I may have to pick one up.

No one tell my girlfriend. I haven't told her about the Filco I got yet. :P

My girlfriend shakes her head at me not understanding the beauty of keyboards lol. I might get her a Filco as a surprise present one day...Just gotta guess what switch she might like. Probably going with the browns for her.

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 02:30:32 »
Cherry really does linear switches well. Just a matter of finding your optimal spring weight.

Clears and Greens are also incredible in their own ways.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 03:01:15 »
Cherry really does linear switches well. Just a matter of finding your optimal spring weight.

Clears and Greens are also incredible in their own ways.

I'm about to teach my self how to solder so I can make different configurations.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 00:43:27 »
Will these these keycaps be okay for my fc660m (minus the spacebar cause its different and the right shift key)?
http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/item/pbt-key-caps-87-104-full-set/vortex-105-pbt-black-on-black-/lid=34869497

Offline therecorder

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 06:17:04 »
No...  You need to wait until he starts stocking Leopold FC700 keycaps.  Pretty sure that the modifier keycaps would also not be the correct size (width), and your keyboard will end up having keycaps of different heights.

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 06:50:24 »
That was me who sold it to you. I am not too happy with Qtan right now. He sent me a wrong keyboard, he gave me the wrong address to send it back to him and he hasn't reimbursed me the money yet for shipping. Also, he hasn't mailed me the right keyboard that i ordered yet (the cherry mx browns) so i was stuck with 2 cherry mx reds. Oh, and those pics of the colored keycaps that were in the photo on ebay weren't in the box. I don't know if i will do business with him again. This is the second big mistake he has made with an order.  :mad:

The reds just weren't for me so you are getting one of the reds that i had.

BTW, Crowe sucked in Les Mis and he is a limited actor. Change your profile pic!  :D
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 June 2013, 07:02:21 by ValerieV »

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 22:28:32 »
No...  You need to wait until he starts stocking Leopold FC700 keycaps.  Pretty sure that the modifier keycaps would also not be the correct size (width), and your keyboard will end up having keycaps of different heights.

You can use the KBC blank keycaps

Weren't the ones I posted KBC keycaps? I am confuzzled.

Offline therecorder

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 22:41:33 »
I guess if you don't mind the keycaps sitting higher than designed, the different right "Shift" key, and the mislabeled modifiers, you can do what eyesmiles has done.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 09:33:38 »
I would go for Cherry keycaps as usual. Not too tough to fit it out with doubleshots, or if you can find one for cheap you can get dyesub sets that would fill most of FC660 off old Cherry based typewriter like TA/Royal.

Offline eyesmiles

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 13:24:53 »

You can use the KBC blank keycaps

Weren't the ones I posted KBC keycaps? I am confuzzled.

The FC660M stock keycaps are similar in profile to the FC700R. As usual, Leopold likes to be special in their keyboard endeavors. If you look at the picture regarding keycap height, the stock FC660M keycap is slightly taller than Cherry profile but shorter than OEM. There is nothing wrong with the KBC Blank keycaps. The main difference is the height. They are OEM profile. If you have a chance to visit a Best Buy, Microcenter or Frys and check out the mechanical keyboards they have on hand like a Razer Blackwidow, Coolermaster Quick Fire Rapid, and the list goes on, they have OEM profile. Once you get your board, you'll notice that 660M has a shorter profile.

I mention having to purchase 2 sets because your usual ANSI layout will have only one 2.25x Shift key (the left Shift). The 660M uses two of them because of how they integrate the arrow cluster into the layout. You can buy one set of KBC Blanks, but you are left with having to use the stock 660M right Shift key, so the heights of your keycaps will be mismatched (mainly that one Shift key).

If you want a set that's identical to the 660M stock keycaps (legends and height), then by all means wait for a FC700R keycap set. You won't have to worry about the Leopold spacebar issue and everything else will fit in place. By getting the KBC blank keycap set, you'll have to be a bit creative by modifying the spacebar a bit and possibly getting a second set just to get a matching right Shift key (it's a pricier option since the only reason you want a second set is for one key :confused:) The main point I was trying to make with my picture of the 660M with imsto thick PBTs was to show that the modifier rows and spacebar length can be swapped out with keycap sets widely available as opposed to early versions of the Noppo Choc mini and other boards that use different sized modifiers and spacebars. You just have to worry about that pesky right Shift key.

As Ivan mentions, Cherry keycaps offer a plethora of options. They have various keycap lengths (and of course the lovely Cherry profile) that will fill the FC660M and you can get creative there as well. I hope that clarifies things a bit and doesn't overwhelm you ^-^
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 June 2013, 13:31:23 by eyesmiles »

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 15:28:45 »
Thanks for the clarification, probably just gonna hold off on customizing and just wait till I get a poker II to customize.

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 16:52:06 »
I am glad you changed your profile pic! Definitely a better choice.  :D  BTW, i got your message on ebay, thanks.