Author Topic: Ultimate Switch Tester R2 (US only)  (Read 40505 times)

Offline 222lu222

Re: Ultimate Switch Tester R2 (US only)
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 10:19:19 »
Gonna post a review?
I might later this week ive just been really caught up with work lately  . But if i get some time in between i will post a quick review of my favorite switches.  :P Ps. was meant to be quoted to you just quoted tim by accident  ;D

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 13:48:55 »
I'm pretty far down the list, but I intend to post a pretty comprehensive review of my personal experience. Me likes to type!  :p

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 17:05:20 »
Came back from home with the pleasant surprise of coming home to the switch tester in my foyer XD. Gonna test it out for a couple of days and really get familiar with the switches and ship it promptly!

I really want a Filco now lol.

Quick review on the switches I am looking at to replace my reds on my poker xO

Clear unmodded:

Very satisfying bump. I don't need too much force to get past the bump but still resistant enough to not bottom out.

Ergo clears:

Definitely too light. Feels more like how the browns are supposed to feel, but to light. Bottomed out as if they were reds.

Panda Clears:

Like baby bear...just right. Bottomed out few but still feel the bump. Very satisfying.

Browns:

Clarified my decision to get reds. Not enough bump. Felt like there was a bit of resistance but not still not enough unf to the action. Still prefer my reds compared to the browns because reds just feel more of a complete switch compared to the browns.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 July 2013, 17:42:47 by TimIsABat »
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Main driver : WASD CODE TKL MX Clear

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 23:31:49 »
I am sending the board on either Saturday or Monday depending on priorities.

I might write a review on the different switches.
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 22:39:14 »
Sweet, thanks tim!

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 18:41:39 »
SHIPPED!

Offline Jack Karneval

• I'm gunna pop some keys, only got $20 in my pocket
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 15:37:23 »
Well look what I just came home to...

27663-0

Some hot keyboard on keyboard action for you all...  ^-^
: CM Storm Trigger (MX Green) : KBT Pure Pro (MX Blue) :

Offline Jack Karneval

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 17:19:31 »
Alrighty, so here is my grandiose impressions of all the switches presented to me from the Ultimate Switch Tester. Before I start, I'd like to take a second to thank Hashbaz for creating this tour to allow me and everybody else the opportunity to try the myriad of switch possibilities out there at very little to no expense!! I'd also like to thank Bossborot who as Hashbaz has said, took the time and expense to make this keyboard a possibility!!!

Here's how we're going to work this I'm going to break up this list into two sections, one section will contain the un-modified switches, and the other the modified switches. I will list each switch and the impression I got from that switch directly afterwards.  Now, it is pertinent for me to say that I only have personal experience with Cherry MX Blue & Green switches, so that's why I was so excited for this opportunity! Anyway, let's begin 

ROUND ONE, FIGHT!!!! (Un-Modified Cherry-MX Switches)

Red: First time trying reds, and I have to say I don't hate it, but I don't particularly enjoy it either. The linearity of it combined with the lightness of the spring, it just doesn't do anything for me.

Blue: Been there, done that. Love the clickyness and sound of blues. Will say thought that I would prefer they were just a tad heavier.

Black: Same linearity as reds, but slightly heavier. Much more enjoyable than reds, would consider buying a keyboard with blacks.

Brown: Spent a lot of time on this one, really didn't feel all that different to me than reds do. The tactile bump doesn't seem pronounced to me at all, might have something to do with the lightness of the spring. Not crazy about this one.

Green: Using my CM Storm Trigger w/ Greens to type this review! Love green switches to death because they just feel so solid, and again, I love my clicky switches!

White: Wow, it's amazing that a switch with the same properties as greens can feel so different. They should nickname these switches "Muted Greens" because that's exactly what they sound like. Also feel lighter than greens do, which is weird because according to the GH Wiki, whites have a "very heavy" spring as opposed to greens "medium-heavy" spring.

Dark Grey:
Feels like a red but with much heavier spring. If you haven't noticed I have a thing for heavier springs, because heavier springs are for real men.... just kidding  :p. Would definitely consider buying a whole keyboard with these.

Grey: I can definitely feel the tactile bump on this one, other than that I like the actuation force, so same impressions as Dark Greys with this switch, would buy.

Clear: Feels like a lighter Dark Grey with a very pronounced tactile bump. I like it, would buy.

Toggle: Never knew they made Cherry Toggle switches. I want to point out something however. Apparently the Toggle switch with the lighter spring is to the left of the regular toggle switch... Well nothing for nothing but the one to the left that's supposedly lighter does not in fact, feel lighter than the regular toggle switch. I'd dare say it feels a lot heavier, so that just might be an error in the graph, or maybe I'm batsh*t insane who knows  :p

ROUND TWO, FIGHT!!!!! (Modified Switches)

Ergo Clear: Seen many of my fellow GH'er's running ergo-clears in their custom-built keyboards, so I'm a bit excited to see what all the buzz is about! Well the verdict is pretty simple, I do like them! Very crisp action on these, much like the Wiki says, but again, I do wish it was a tadddd heavier. Definitely wouldn't mind my very own ergo-clear board though!

Ghetto Red: Feels exactly like a red... nuff said.

Red w/ Black Spring: Feels exactly like a black.... nuff said

Red w/ Clear Spring: Feels a little heavier than reds....

Black w/ Clear Spring: Same as above...

Brown w/ Clear Spring: Not as crisp as ergo clears, feels sloppy like browns do.

Brown w/ Black Spring: Feels better than browns w/ clear springs, but still doesn't interest me.

Blue w/ Clear Spring: LOVE IT!!!! Love the sound it makes too, it's everything I love about blues, but with a slightly heavier spring.... LOVE IT! Nice and crisp too... NOMNOMNOM!

White w/ Clear Spring: Now see this is weird because now the click is more pronounced... with just a different spring? So weird man, but I really do like these, not as crisp as the blue w/ clear though.

Blue w/ Black Spring: LOVE! this a little more than the blue w/ clear spring.... I think I know what I'm going to mod my Pure Pro with now....  ^-^

White w/ Black Spring: The quiet man's blue w/ black spring, I love it!

ROUND THREE, FIGHT!!!! (B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B... BONUS ROUND!)

So what does it feel like to type on a board with a myriad of different switches on it? Well it feels really freaking weird let me tell you what! I mean obviously we aren't always typing at our fastest typing speed, so during those moments when you're slowly typing a word out, and you go to press that one letter, suddenly the switch you hit has COMPLETELY different properties than the last, and it just causes an odd feeling in the muscles of your hand.

Doing a quick test on www.10fastfingers.com solidifies something about myself that I already knew. It doesn't really matter which keyboard I'm typing on, I can generally type almost the same speed on every keyboard. What matters to me in terms of typing speed is the size and shape of the keycap, which can be a problem on some laptops and whatnot. Anyway, I managed a pretty speedy 109 words per minute on that 10fastfingers test, and could probably do better with subsequent tests.

Conclusions

So this was incredibly interesting I must say, and there's quite a few things I've learned from using the UST, so I'm just going to list them out.

-Will never buy a board with Red or Browns
-Love Ergo-Clears, given the money and resources I'd get my own board with ergo-clears
-LOVE LOVE LOVE! Blues with black springs, definitely going to mod my Pure Pro with black springs when I get the chance!
-Love me them White w/ black springs as well, would be nice to mod a board with these on them, and use it in the work-space
-Would consider buying a keyboard with Blacks, Dark Greys, or even Greys

ANNNNNNDDDD that's it ladies and gentlemen, hope you enjoyed the review! Thanks again to Hashbaz & Bossborot for making this possible! I will keep the board for another day or two and perhaps make changes to some of my impressions, and then ship it out to the next person!

PEACE OUT!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 17:46:23 »
Blue with a Black Spring is a Ghetto Green switch. No need to mod your board to Greens unless you want 2 boards with Greens.

Offline DrinkTea

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 19:00:57 »
I think the black springs are a little lighter.
I swapped out the springs on a KBT Race with whites to black springs. I'm a fan.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 19:04:05 »
Nope. That's how you make Ghetto Greens for sure. If you think they feel different from regular Greens, it's probably placebo.

And I'm going to swap Black springs into my Whites as well.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 19:53:02 »
*sigh* I wish that I had seen this earlier. Maybe I'll be able to get in on R3.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 July 2013, 20:29:43 by Thimplum »
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Jack Karneval

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 21:40:57 »
Nope. That's how you make Ghetto Greens for sure. If you think they feel different from regular Greens, it's probably placebo.

And I'm going to swap Black springs into my Whites as well.

Of what I know, the MX Black springs are weighted at 60cN as opposed to MX Greens 80cN. Blue's with the Black springs have just the right feel for me specifically. MX Greens, as much as I love them can be tad irksome to deal with sometimes due to the high actuation force, whereas from what I felt from the UST, Ghetto Greens are just pure actuation force nirvana.

That being said, you bring up a major point I didn't stress in my review, which is that the differences between some switches are so slight that it's hard to say you're actually feeling a "real" difference as opposed to the placebo effect from just knowing that they are in fact, different. But I will swear up and down that there is a real difference between Ghetto Greens & real MX Greens. Ghetto Greens are pure nirvana (for me) whereas real MX Greens are just really damn good, but not perfect.

If that made any sense at all  :p

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 21:44:05 »
Erm ok. They felt exactly the same to me when I tried them but I'm not going to tell you how to mod your boards. Just trying to offer up the info I know. ^__^

Offline DrinkTea

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 21:49:39 »
Did you type on keyboards with full sets or use a switch tester when you tried them? I've found that it's a lot harder to tell the difference between similar switches if I'm not actually typing with them. I know that when I swapped the white springs for black springs I had a hard time telling on an individual key basis, but after typing for a while the difference was noticeable. But maybe that's just me.

Offline Jack Karneval

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 21:55:28 »
Did you type on keyboards with full sets or use a switch tester when you tried them? I've found that it's a lot harder to tell the difference between similar switches if I'm not actually typing with them. I know that when I swapped the white springs for black springs I had a hard time telling on an individual key basis, but after typing for a while the difference was noticeable. But maybe that's just me.

Definitely a major consideration, but at least with the Ghetto Greens it was easier for me to tell the difference because I do in fact own a full MX Green keyboard, as well as two full MX Blue keyboards. The Ghetto Green really felt like it split the difference so to speak.

Like I said in my review, the main thing I learned is that I'll never buy a keyboard with MX Reds or Browns. It's not that I really loathe any particular switch, it's just that reds and browns just don't feel "interesting" to me at all. That being said, if someone gave me an MX Red board for free... I certainly wouldn't throw it out of bed for eating crackers....  :p

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 22:51:57 »
Alrighty, so here is my grandiose impressions of all the switches presented to me from the Ultimate Switch Tester. Before I start, I'd like to take a second to thank Hashbaz for creating this tour to allow me and everybody else the opportunity to try the myriad of switch possibilities out there at very little to no expense!! I'd also like to thank Bossborot who as Hashbaz has said, took the time and expense to make this keyboard a possibility!!!

Here's how we're going to work this I'm going to break up this list into two sections, one section will contain the un-modified switches, and the other the modified switches. I will list each switch and the impression I got from that switch directly afterwards.  Now, it is pertinent for me to say that I only have personal experience with Cherry MX Blue & Green switches, so that's why I was so excited for this opportunity! Anyway, let's begin 

ROUND ONE, FIGHT!!!! (Un-Modified Cherry-MX Switches)

Red: First time trying reds, and I have to say I don't hate it, but I don't particularly enjoy it either. The linearity of it combined with the lightness of the spring, it just doesn't do anything for me.

Blue: Been there, done that. Love the clickyness and sound of blues. Will say thought that I would prefer they were just a tad heavier.

Black: Same linearity as reds, but slightly heavier. Much more enjoyable than reds, would consider buying a keyboard with blacks.

Brown: Spent a lot of time on this one, really didn't feel all that different to me than reds do. The tactile bump doesn't seem pronounced to me at all, might have something to do with the lightness of the spring. Not crazy about this one.

Green: Using my CM Storm Trigger w/ Greens to type this review! Love green switches to death because they just feel so solid, and again, I love my clicky switches!

White: Wow, it's amazing that a switch with the same properties as greens can feel so different. They should nickname these switches "Muted Greens" because that's exactly what they sound like. Also feel lighter than greens do, which is weird because according to the GH Wiki, whites have a "very heavy" spring as opposed to greens "medium-heavy" spring.

Dark Grey:
Feels like a red but with much heavier spring. If you haven't noticed I have a thing for heavier springs, because heavier springs are for real men.... just kidding  :p. Would definitely consider buying a whole keyboard with these.

Grey: I can definitely feel the tactile bump on this one, other than that I like the actuation force, so same impressions as Dark Greys with this switch, would buy.

Clear: Feels like a lighter Dark Grey with a very pronounced tactile bump. I like it, would buy.

Toggle: Never knew they made Cherry Toggle switches. I want to point out something however. Apparently the Toggle switch with the lighter spring is to the left of the regular toggle switch... Well nothing for nothing but the one to the left that's supposedly lighter does not in fact, feel lighter than the regular toggle switch. I'd dare say it feels a lot heavier, so that just might be an error in the graph, or maybe I'm batsh*t insane who knows  :p

ROUND TWO, FIGHT!!!!! (Modified Switches)

Ergo Clear: Seen many of my fellow GH'er's running ergo-clears in their custom-built keyboards, so I'm a bit excited to see what all the buzz is about! Well the verdict is pretty simple, I do like them! Very crisp action on these, much like the Wiki says, but again, I do wish it was a tadddd heavier. Definitely wouldn't mind my very own ergo-clear board though!

Ghetto Red: Feels exactly like a red... nuff said.

Red w/ Black Spring: Feels exactly like a black.... nuff said

Red w/ Clear Spring: Feels a little heavier than reds....

Black w/ Clear Spring: Same as above...

Brown w/ Clear Spring: Not as crisp as ergo clears, feels sloppy like browns do.

Brown w/ Black Spring: Feels better than browns w/ clear springs, but still doesn't interest me.

Blue w/ Clear Spring: LOVE IT!!!! Love the sound it makes too, it's everything I love about blues, but with a slightly heavier spring.... LOVE IT! Nice and crisp too... NOMNOMNOM!

White w/ Clear Spring: Now see this is weird because now the click is more pronounced... with just a different spring? So weird man, but I really do like these, not as crisp as the blue w/ clear though.

Blue w/ Black Spring: LOVE! this a little more than the blue w/ clear spring.... I think I know what I'm going to mod my Pure Pro with now....  ^-^

White w/ Black Spring: The quiet man's blue w/ black spring, I love it!

ROUND THREE, FIGHT!!!! (B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B... BONUS ROUND!)

So what does it feel like to type on a board with a myriad of different switches on it? Well it feels really freaking weird let me tell you what! I mean obviously we aren't always typing at our fastest typing speed, so during those moments when you're slowly typing a word out, and you go to press that one letter, suddenly the switch you hit has COMPLETELY different properties than the last, and it just causes an odd feeling in the muscles of your hand.

Doing a quick test on www.10fastfingers.com solidifies something about myself that I already knew. It doesn't really matter which keyboard I'm typing on, I can generally type almost the same speed on every keyboard. What matters to me in terms of typing speed is the size and shape of the keycap, which can be a problem on some laptops and whatnot. Anyway, I managed a pretty speedy 109 words per minute on that 10fastfingers test, and could probably do better with subsequent tests.

Conclusions

So this was incredibly interesting I must say, and there's quite a few things I've learned from using the UST, so I'm just going to list them out.

-Will never buy a board with Red or Browns
-Love Ergo-Clears, given the money and resources I'd get my own board with ergo-clears
-LOVE LOVE LOVE! Blues with black springs, definitely going to mod my Pure Pro with black springs when I get the chance!
-Love me them White w/ black springs as well, would be nice to mod a board with these on them, and use it in the work-space
-Would consider buying a keyboard with Blacks, Dark Greys, or even Greys

ANNNNNNDDDD that's it ladies and gentlemen, hope you enjoyed the review! Thanks again to Hashbaz & Bossborot for making this possible! I will keep the board for another day or two and perhaps make changes to some of my impressions, and then ship it out to the next person!

PEACE OUT!

I was going to write a review but then I read yours lol. Thought the exact same way with most except for the ergo-clears. They felt sloppy to me like they were sticking. The spring doesn't seem right for the switch. It felt like the spring from browns/reds.

After trying the board and messing with a Thermaltake at Microcenter today, I really wish I got black switches instead of red switches. It isn't so much the heavier spring, but more so that the switch feels smoother and really has that boobie feeling. I gave up on not bottoming out with these switches right now and instead just did a red silicone o-ring mod (large) and they feel better. The blacks probably feel like so much better with the mod, too.

Clears with black springs were almost perfect though. I cannot wait to do the 62g spring mod on clears and replace the red switches with them on my Poker. Noticed you didn't do a review of them.

Offline Jack Karneval

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 23:10:52 »
Haha! You're right, and it's sad because I knew I was going to forget a switch or two doing the review, oh well... I'll update it tomorrow!  ^-^

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 07:39:21 »
I just remembered how the Ghetto Greens math works. So Blues actuate at 55 cN even though they use the same spring as Browns and Reds. So that means the 2-part stem adds about 10-15 cN. Black springs are 60 cN. So we get into the ballpark of 70 - 75 cN. Greens are rated at 80 cN but there is a tolerance band of I think 10-15 cN.

And you have to remember that the Ghetto Greens on that board have been typed on more than 20 people for extended periods of time. That board you're typing on Jack is probably new from CM and you're the only person to ever type on it so the wear/break in is different on your board versus the UST.

Offline Jack Karneval

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 08:20:10 »
Hm, interesting. On a side note, I think it'd be an interesting angle for a manufacturer to certify their boards in such a way that it guarantees a very low actuation variance between each switch as well as guaranteeing that the characteristics of that switch type (clicky, tactile bump, etc) are present in every single switch. So in practice it'd be like "each switch in this board is guaranteed to to have no higher than a 2-3cN variance from the manufacturer's rated actuation force and all switch characteristics are guaranteed to be present."

Then again.... they'd probably charge out the arse for it.... but people would probably pay for it  ^-^

Offline Jack Karneval

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 22:52:09 »
Just an update for you all, I will almost definitely ship out the UST to the next person tomorrow. If for some reason I can't, then definitely Friday!

*Update* Postage has been paid, will ship out during lunch today and will notify when the package leaves my hands.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 July 2013, 09:32:19 by Jack Karneval »

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 10:29:35 »
Hm, interesting. On a side note, I think it'd be an interesting angle for a manufacturer to certify their boards in such a way that it guarantees a very low actuation variance between each switch as well as guaranteeing that the characteristics of that switch type (clicky, tactile bump, etc) are present in every single switch. So in practice it'd be like "each switch in this board is guaranteed to to have no higher than a 2-3cN variance from the manufacturer's rated actuation force and all switch characteristics are guaranteed to be present."

Then again.... they'd probably charge out the arse for it.... but people would probably pay for it  ^-^

Just slap a "Certified for Competitive Gaming" sticker on it, they'd sell out fast.

;D

Offline shadewolf

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 11:29:04 »
Just an update for you all, I will almost definitely ship out the UST to the next person tomorrow. If for some reason I can't, then definitely Friday!

*Update* Postage has been paid, will ship out during lunch today and will notify when the package leaves my hands.

Sweet!

Offline Jack Karneval

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 12:46:46 »
Ladies & Gentlemen, the UST has left my hands and is now in the care of USPS. Although due to my awesome packing job, it should have no problem making it safely to shadewolf!

Offline ImperfectLink

« Reply #74 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 07:38:34 »
Ladies & Gentlemen, the UST has left my hands and is now in the care of USPS. Although due to my awesome packing job, it should have no problem making it safely to shadewolf!

Actually, I've found USPS to be very efficient and trustworthy here. I sent an 18 pound package from Columbus to Belize for under $20. It made it there in 3 days. FedEx quoted me over $300 and told me it would take a week. Since then I've had a little more faith in USPS.

Offline Jack Karneval

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 12:30:53 »

Actually, I've found USPS to be very efficient and trustworthy here. I sent an 18 pound package from Columbus to Belize for under $20. It made it there in 3 days. FedEx quoted me over $300 and told me it would take a week. Since then I've had a little more faith in USPS.

Speaking of which, I wonder if shadewolf received it. Probably won't know till tomorrow though.

Offline shadewolf

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 14:57:11 »
UST received!

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 16:02:01 »
Great review Jack! It's really nice seeing somebody super excited about testing the UST. Your enthusiasm really shines through your review and it makes me smile :) thank you!

Reminds me of the previous UST round... XD

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 16:33:53 »

Offline Jack Karneval

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 17:26:34 »
Great review Jack! It's really nice seeing somebody super excited about testing the UST. Your enthusiasm really shines through your review and it makes me smile :) thank you!

Reminds me of the previous UST round... XD

You're welcome, and thanks for the kind words Lastpilot! In reminiscing about my ever growing interest in mechanical keyboards I kind of realized that ignorance was bliss before I knew all that I know today about mechanical keyboards. When I built my computer I knew for a fact that I wanted one just by reading what little marketing information they used to describe them, and I really didn't know much about the differences between each switch so this made it really easy to purchase one because I just simply knew I wanted one. My first mechanical keyboard was the Blackwidow Ultimate (I know, I know  :rolleyes:) and I kind of fell in love with MX Blues, so for subsequent purchases it made it really hard to justify spending money on a keyboard with different switches such as MX Blacks or Reds only to find out I wouldn't like them. I will say though that I didn't hesitate to buy the CM Storm Trigger with MX Greens because I love my clicky switches, but more importantly it was because my Blackwidow was on it's way out. Had I bought a keyboard with different switches for my first mechanical maybe I would have different preferences than I do today, who knows!

Anyway, thanks again for the opportunity to try all the switches GH!  ;)

Offline shadewolf

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 09:42:08 »
Mmm, dem ergo clears...more to come later :D

Offline shadewolf

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 10:52:30 »
Prior to receiving the UST, I'd tried out the following switches: Blue, Red, Green, and Brown.

I had ultimately decided on Browns as my favorite switch, with Red's coming in as a close second. I didn't have any major complaints about Blues aside from the audible click, which got to be a bit much at work. I found Greens to be too fatiguing to type on all day.

I think my top 5 after poking at this thing for awhile looks something like:
1. Ergo Clear
2. White w/ Light spring
3. Brown / Red / Ghetto Red
4. Blue with Black springs
5. Clear

I'm not really sure about those Clear's in the fifth spot though, as I think they might also get a little tiring after an extended amount of typing. Aside from that, I don't really like Blacks or any of the other switches with Black or Clear springs...but maybe I should give Clear w/ Black springs some more love :-\

It has been awesome to be able to check out all of these switches on the same board, so a huge thanks to hashbaz for arranging this, and BossBorot for building this awesome board. Now there just needs to be a Topre board tour ;)

Oh, and here's Big Daddy hanging out with the UST :))

Offline Jack Karneval

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 11:03:36 »
Cool little overview, interesting to see someone who's almost the direct opposite to me and my blatant love for them heavy springs and clicky switches! Also, I see I'm not the only one who bought the collector's edition of Bioshock 1  :P

Offline jspark

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 11:29:24 »
dang, I'm too late...
KBC Poker X Cherry MX Black switch
Filco Majestouch2 Ninja Cherry MX Blue switch
IBM Model M 1391401 in 1988

Offline Jack Karneval

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 12:12:37 »
dang, I'm too late...

Ah, I'm sure there will be another one soon, worry not!

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 12:20:41 »
Yep, this thing will be in more or less perpetual rotation.

Offline jspark

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 12:46:33 »
Yep, this thing will be in more or less perpetual rotation.

Nice to hear, haha.
KBC Poker X Cherry MX Black switch
Filco Majestouch2 Ninja Cherry MX Blue switch
IBM Model M 1391401 in 1988

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 17:59:50 »
Prior to receiving the UST, I'd tried out the following switches: Blue, Red, Green, and Brown.

I had ultimately decided on Browns as my favorite switch, with Red's coming in as a close second. I didn't have any major complaints about Blues aside from the audible click, which got to be a bit much at work. I found Greens to be too fatiguing to type on all day.

1. Ergo Clear
2. White w/ Light spring
5. Clear

I'm not really sure about those Clear's in the fifth spot though, as I think they might also get a little tiring after an extended amount of typing. Aside from that, I don't really like Blacks or any of the other switches with Black or Clear springs...but maybe I should give Clear w/ Black springs some more love :-\

It has been awesome to be able to check out all of these switches on the same board, so a huge thanks to hashbaz for arranging this, and BossBorot for building this awesome board. Now there just needs to be a Topre board tour ;)

Show Image

Still curious as to the springs that BossBorot used for the ergoclears. I second that Topre board tour XD

Offline Jack Karneval

« Reply #88 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 18:14:47 »

1. Ergo Clear
2. White w/ Light spring
5. Clear

Show Image

Still curious as to the springs that BossBorot used for the ergoclears. I second that Topre board tour XD

I third this second'ing of a Topre board tour  ^-^

Offline shadewolf

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 13:02:55 »
UST has been dropped off at the Post Office and tracking information has been sent to the next recipient.

Thanks again for this :)

Offline DrinkTea

« Reply #90 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 13:48:21 »
I eagerly await the tester and am following the tracking with bated breath.

Offline DrinkTea

« Reply #91 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 19:46:29 »
It says delivered so I will probably have my hands on it on Monday after the stupid university mail service gets it to me.

Offline DrinkTea

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 16:52:19 »
The UST has arrived in my office. I will take it home and test it out over the next few days and write a review. I'm psyched!

Offline Jack Karneval

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 17:27:52 »
The UST has arrived in my office. I will take it home and test it out over the next few days and write a review. I'm psyched!

Awesome!

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #94 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 23:46:48 »
So ended up doing a ergo-clear mod with 62g springs. Definitely different from the switches used on the ergo-clears on the UST. They feel between the brown springs and the black spring.

Thinking that the ergo-clears on the UST is a brown spring.

Right now these feel amazing. Not too heavy and not too light. I wonder how gold springs would feel like since I enjoy these so much.

Offline DrinkTea

« Reply #95 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 13:35:34 »
Does anyone know when I'm supposed to get the next guy's address? I PMed hashbaz but he hasn't replied.

Offline phx

« Reply #96 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 13:54:35 »
Does anyone know when I'm supposed to get the next guy's address? I PMed hashbaz but he hasn't replied.

I'm next, so I guess if he doesnt respond I can just give my address to you directly.

Offline DrinkTea

« Reply #97 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 23:10:10 »
Go ahead and send it to me. I haven't heard back yet.

Offline phx

« Reply #98 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 23:21:23 »
sent

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #99 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 22:10:33 »
I've been out of town and not really checking the forum, sorry about that.  Thanks for handling this yourselves guys.