Author Topic: Replacing this crap laptop  (Read 9627 times)

Offline Hypersphere

Re: Replacing this crap laptop
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 19:09:19 »
Choose the best tool for the  job at hand. I mostly use desktops, and my main OS is Mac OS X. I chose this because the GUI rests on top of a pure unix layer, and I need unix as well as linux for some of my scientific work. Whereas I get most of my work done with OS X and unix/linux, there are some apps that I use that are written only for Windows; for these I either use a VM or a dedicated PC running Windows. When I travel, I use my 11-inch Macbook Air, which has served me very well, especially owing to its portability.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 12:35:59 »
The best laptop I have ever owned is my 11-inch Macbook Air (MBA). My primary computers are desktops (Mac, Linux, and Windows), and so I use a laptop only when I need portability. The 11-inch MBA is something I actually take with me to meetings, classes, and on the road. Even a 13-inch Macbook was a bit too bulky for me to enjoy traveling with it. However, if Windows-based games are important to you, I suppose you would want a powerful PC/Win laptop, although you can run Windows on a Mac using Bootcamp. You can also run Windows in a virtual machine, but performance would suffer.

Yeah the only thing Windows still has over Mac is gaming... Mac laptops are really taking the upper hands nowadays for their insane battery life, incredibly beautiful screens and weightlessness.

But it's ****ing 1000$+ and that's the dealbreaker.

Yep, there's truth in the old adage, "You get what you pay for!" In the past, I have paid more for PC/Win laptops that were disappointments in many ways, including being so bulky and heavy I left them behind when traveling. In contrast, my Macbook Air has paid for itself by contributing to increased productivity and being easy to take along on business trips.

TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 18:32:09 »
Never order from Sears...they suck...seriously...they suck.

Hoping to convince my parents to help me to get a Y510p for 1200 (since they are so adamant about paying for it).
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Main driver : WASD CODE TKL MX Clear

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 20:53:27 »
Ugh. Due to some complications, I cannot buy a Lenovo Y500 or Y510p or any decent for gaming laptop that is over 1000 online.

I have to settle for a laptop to buy in Best Buy...

Anyone know a laptop that I could buy at Best Buy that would be good for decent gaming (run BF3 with good frame rates...run any game really with better than low settings)?
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 21:37:33 »
Why don't you keep your current laptop at this point and save for later?
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 21:43:28 »
Why don't you keep your current laptop at this point and save for later?

At this point I've given up on it due to complications. This can be closed...I am just going to have to settle with this crap....

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 17:58:13 »
Ugh. Due to some complications, I cannot buy a Lenovo Y500 or Y510p or any decent for gaming laptop that is over 1000 online.

Why? payPal?
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 20:25:50 »

Why? payPal?

Family situation

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 04:49:38 »
Read barely, sorry that you can't get a new one.
I'd say that if you were able, the MSI GT60/70 is about $1400 and up (XoticPC can upgrade it with shenanigans upon shenanigans).
They have a GTX 770M GPU now, unlike before, and have pretty decent battery life. Love the Steelseries keyboard also.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 08:23:32 »

Why? payPal?

Family situation

Sorry bro :(
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013