Author Topic: Please help me identify these guys!  (Read 1048 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Please help me identify these guys!
« on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 11:21:46 »
This keyboard looks vaguely like a model F, but is Cherry MX based. The layout is beyond weird. Is that thing a ps2 cable? Seller has categorized it as PS2, but I treat taobao with an enormous grain of salt.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=0.0.0.0.HGI3W1&id=12662939379

This is a Model F with an interesting layout and even a pocket underneath for holding an instruction manual! I wonder if anybody here is up to modding it for normal use.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=0.0.0.0.IrR1t0&id=10281582740

Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: Please help me identify these guys!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 11:25:19 »
#2 is a keyboard for an IBM "model C" 3178. I have one in data entry layout. The pocket is for the terminal manual. Almost all the keys send upcodes.

There are four models, which can informally be called C0-C3. If you notice, the block of keys on the far right is in some kind of numeric layout. In other models, it's extra PF keys. On mine it is covered over.

Oh about modding it for use: there might be kbdbabel code for it, but it'd probably be a huge pain. We hope to get a replacement F controller working in the near future, so eventually you could do that. Note the odd enter key placement, it may be even harder to use than an XT, and not all keys send upcodes (like on an XT).

If you are making (or own) a 60% model M or F, 1 or 2 of these model C keyboards have the numberkeys front printed with F or PF, so that'd be useful for that at least.

Not sure about #1. it does sort of look like a DIN connector though. As far as I know there are no IBM branded keyboards that use cherry's MX keyswitches.

I don't think it can be that old, as it says y2k compliant on the back.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 June 2013, 11:30:53 by dorkvader »

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 12:56:47 »
Yeah, that's a 3178 terminal board. Long short: don't even attempt it, kbdbabel or not. Don't forget the damned power lines and power draw - that switch controls the CRT and the terminal itself. (Uses 2 pins on the connector as I recall.) Keyboard sucks down a lot of power.

The second keyboard, I can definitely help you on. DS International is a (still going) manufacturer of custom keyboards. You know who they are. IT'S DSI! That is definitely a DIN5 connector, but possibly not PC-AT protocol. Specifically, that one appears to be designed for a CNC system, but don't hold me to it. DSI may be able to tell you more from the manufacturer PN.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 18:43:33 »
First one is a really really old DSI keyboard. DSI is still around, mostly seem to focus on Mac and 'ergo' stuffs, at least with the few they still have that are mech based of one sort or another.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 00:10:35 »
Yeah, that's a 3178 terminal board. Long short: don't even attempt it, kbdbabel or not. Don't forget the damned power lines and power draw - that switch controls the CRT and the terminal itself. (Uses 2 pins on the connector as I recall.) Keyboard sucks down a lot of power.

The second keyboard, I can definitely help you on. DS International is a (still going) manufacturer of custom keyboards. You know who they are. IT'S DSI! That is definitely a DIN5 connector, but possibly not PC-AT protocol. Specifically, that one appears to be designed for a CNC system, but don't hold me to it. DSI may be able to tell you more from the manufacturer PN.

FWIW, I have checked the controller and the 12V line is only used for the solenoid (and the 2 chips that control it) but It is way more trouble tahn its worth to try and convert it.

I don't know why I missed the huge DSI on the back. They seem to have moved on to mainly ALPS now. you can view their current offerings on fentek or ergo-canada.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 03:52:58 »

FWIW, I have checked the controller and the 12V line is only used for the solenoid (and the 2 chips that control it) but It is way more trouble tahn its worth to try and convert it.

I don't know why I missed the huge DSI on the back. They seem to have moved on to mainly ALPS now. you can view their current offerings on fentek or ergo-canada.

Yeah, but IIRC there's a separate high load 5V line for some crazy reason even though the 3178 is ~= 3270. The whole thing is rather screwy.

And if it's any comfort, I had to google "DS International" too - was like 'vaguely familiar.. who is that..'
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 05:23:23 »
Wow, retro DSI. I wonder who would want to collect it!
◕ ‿ ◕