Author Topic: MX Browns: Almost linear?  (Read 13545 times)

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Re: MX Browns: Almost linear?
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 14:22:21 »
Where can I get a white backlit board with clears?

thanks

Sounds like the CODE keyboard but I heard they are sold out of the clears.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 01:19:03 »
When I type with the Blacks, it feels like I am pushing an small air pump. The resistance I feel is as though the valve which the switch have to pass through is full of air. Is this how linear feel like? No wonder I hate it! Arrghh!

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 02:59:52 »
I really like the browns, but also have some clears. Stock, the clears are too heavy for me, but I modded the ones I am using with 62g springs and stickers and lubed them and now I really like them.... they may be taking over from browns as my favourite.

They have a really nice, strong tactile bump, but about the same activation force as browns, or maybe a little more due to the bigger bump. That said, it's a lot of work to dismantle them, add the sticker, change the spring and lube the correct points for all the switches. Worth it, though, IMHO.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Ellimist

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 04:46:34 »
FWIW, I love the brown switches now. For me, it took around a month to get accustomed to the new switches, but I like them better than blues now. Sure, the tactility is less pronounced, and it takes less force to actuate, but typing on the browns seem more effortless than blues.

TL;DR - Give it time, you'll love it.

Offline BliTzKiN

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 05:57:50 »
After being on ergoclears for quite awhile now, browns also feel like linear switches to me

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 09:14:08 »
It was the same way for me, when I first tried Brown I thought they felt pretty much linear.  Then I tried Red after, then suddenly I can feel the bump in Brown.

Though after trying a few more keyboards I realize I tend to like less tactile keyboards.  So I find it's good with Brown that the tactile bump is just enough for you to know it's there for typing while not interfering with your button mashing in gaming lol.

That being said I also like Red so that's why I don't mind the linear-ness of things.

Currently I'd rank the switches I have from Topre > Red = Brown > Matias Quiet ALPS.  And don't get me wrong Matias Quiet ALPS is great too, but I just like them in this order and none of them are bad switches.

Sucks to hear that you're tight on money now otherwise I'd suggest you try more switches.

:P

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 17:55:39 »
Im a hard typer and so I know what you are saying...I sort of blast right past the brown bump. Im rebuilding my brown board with clears to satisfy my tactile MX needs.
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 18:14:29 »
FWIW, I love the brown switches now. For me, it took around a month to get accustomed to the new switches, but I like them better than blues now. Sure, the tactility is less pronounced, and it takes less force to actuate, but typing on the browns seem more effortless than blues.

TL;DR - Give it time, you'll love it.

Linears will be even more effortless.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 22:10:02 »
I'm pretty new, but my WASD sampler came in the mail today.

My initial response is that browns are a tad bit light, and I can sorta feel the bump. The bump is really mushy though. The clear has a better bump, but my weak fingers get fatigued after pressing down on it after a while.

Blues have a really nice click to it, but because its not connected to a proper board and I can't tell when the button is actually registered, its a bit funky.

The reds are perfectly linear, absolutely no resistance.

For my typing needs, I'll probably go for blues for now, but get ergo clears later. Browns have too little of a bump, and feel really mushy compared to the other switches

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 22:45:15 »
You can't get a feel without trying a whole board. If you are a touch typist, then the browns are perfect.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 23:33:13 »
The more I read this, the more I am convinced that MX Clear is what would fit me in the MX family. Matias Quiet Pro is the benchmark I compared again. I need something very tactile, stiff and quiet. Too bad the Clears are all gone. Thank goodness for Matias :D

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 23:34:48 »
The more I read this, the more I am convinced that MX Clear is what would fit me in the MX family. Matias Quiet Pro is the benchmark I compared again. I need something very tactile, stiff and quiet. Too bad the Clears are all gone. Thank goodness for Matias :D

I'm in the same boat. About to buy the newly restocked WASD Codes tho

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 03:09:34 »
I've ordered. Shipping cost killed my wallet. I hope this works out fine. Stupid me!!!

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 04:01:13 »
Hello,

This is my first post on GH, but I'm a long-time lurker, from before I made my account. Anyway, this is the first time I have a proper mechanical keyboard with me, so I'm asking whether everybody feels the same. The first mechanical keyboard I used was around 6 months ago. I had bought an old (10 years+) MX blue keyboard, which felt weird to be honest. The actuation force was too low (maybe because the switches were old?), I had a lot of unwanted keystrokes registered while typing, and playing racing games was a pain because of the repeated keystrokes (left/right) not registering. I had a lot of typing to do at that time, so I turned back to by trusted Logitech Internet Pro. Anyway, I decided that blues weren't for me.

Now I have with me a Das Ultimate Silent. I wanted a Filco MJ2 Ninja Tenkeyless, but it was $200+ on Amazon and the Das Father's Day discount was too good to pass up. But now that I have it, I'm not happy with the brown switches. The brown's tactile bump is so imperceptible that I don't feel it at all while typing. I can feel it while pressing keys slowly, individually, but it doesn't seem like enough. I have had this for a week and I still have a lot of unregistered keystrokes.

Does it get better with time or am I stuck with this?

Based on what you have to say about the Browns and Blues, I'd reckon that buckling springs may be a better choice for you - higher force than the Blues, less pronounced hysteresis (i.e. that double tapping issue you describe with the blues) and more tactile than either the Blues or the Browns.

I just bought a WASD with clears last night ;)
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 September 2013, 04:03:02 by ch_123 »

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 05:30:12 »
This is a common complaint about browns.

Personally I think that browns are just right for me. Before I used browns I used reds, which felt great and I really enjoyed the smooth actuation and light feel of them. However, I kept having problems with accidental key-presses. Nothing major, but enough to be annoying. So I tried browns and never looked back. Coming from the completely linear reds, the tactile bump was very noticeable (I expect it is the opposite when coming from blues). It really helped my muscle memory to not bottom out on every keypress, but also to not accidentally push keys past the tactile bump when I do not intend to.

The tactility of the browns is pretty subtle. But I would not quite say they are almost linear. Compared to a linear switch, it is just too noticeable for me.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 00:40:12 »
Yes, I agree that they feel almost linear.  I have o-ring mods on all of my keyboards and it changes the feel a little bit.  The tactile bump is very soon before the o-ring hits so you do get more feedback I find. 

Personally, (filco) browns are my favourite switch.  The key press is responsive and smooth.  I have blues as well and I find it annoying that I can register multiple key presses without the tactile release of the key.  I do this all the time when I am typing quickly. 

I just got another filco with reds and I am enjoying it, but browns are still my favourite switch. 

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 20:36:41 »
Coming from reds. I got my shine 3 with browns and I do feel the bump when typing. It's almost linear when I spam a key I like reds A LOT it's going to be hard letting them go.... lol The bump almost feels gritty though...

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 20:38:14 »
The bump is there, but some heavier springs would either help the bump or hurt it. The bump on my Greens is much more noticeable.
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 20:46:34 »
I think it would hurt the bump. Anyone with ergo clears on lighter springs feel that it made the bump more noticeable or less?

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 08:59:19 »
The bump is there, but some heavier springs would either help the bump or hurt it. The bump on my Greens is much more noticeable.

Greens don't have a bump.  They have a click.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 09:45:01 »

Greens don't have a bump.  They have a click.

They have both...

I think it would hurt the bump. Anyone with ergo clears on lighter springs feel that it made the bump more noticeable or less?

More...
As the difference between spring resistance and bump resistance is raised (think of SNR)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 09:53:09 »
Tactoblacks aren't very popular, they basically lose the bump.

Offline ctbear

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 10:13:59 »
It will definitely feel linear if even blues are too light for you. I would either 1. try clear switches, which are heavier, or 2. get a Topre board  :thumb:

Offline ZRock

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 11:13:46 »
So everyone is telling him to try clears, anyone have a list of available clears in the US?  I'm having trouble finding any.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 13:45:09 »
So everyone is telling him to try clears, anyone have a list of available clears in the US?  I'm having trouble finding any.
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/search.php?switch_id=9&size=ALL&keyword=

Pretty much all you can find is the deck board, shine 2, pure pro, WASD Code, or just buy a bunch of switches and learn soldering.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 14:16:21 »
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/search.php?switch_id=9&size=ALL&keyword=

Pretty much all you can find is the deck board, shine 2, pure pro, WASD Code, or just buy a bunch of switches and learn soldering.

Part sellers sell them like Mouser and Digikey.  You can also buy them from Cherry.