Author Topic: Filco Majestouch 2 vs Ducky DK9087G2 PRO  (Read 3072 times)

Offline Danule

• ###
Filco Majestouch 2 vs Ducky DK9087G2 PRO
« on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 08:15:58 »
Its probaly been asked before but I will ask anyway

So for a standard issue TKL keyboard which is higher quality?

the Filco?

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=70720&vpn=FKBN87M%2FEB2&manufacture=Filco

or the Ducky?

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=215

Thanks!
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Re: Filco Majestouch 2 vs Ducky DK9087G2 PRO
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 08:32:46 »

the Filco?

or the Ducky?

Thanks!

My Ducky isn't in yet, so I can speak to that.  But personally I found Leopold more solid in a TKL and WASD more solid in a full-size.  Both in direct comparison to Filco and other brands.

I have the luxury of choice, and sitting on my desk are a Leo 200 TKL and a WASD v1 full-size.  Both are Brown, and both seem more 'solid' to me than the Filco.  The Filco spacebar in particular seems flimsier, although that is a hard bit to get right.

At work I use a Model M, so I am not dainty with my keyboards.

I'll update this once my Ducky Pro arrives, probably tomorrow.

- Ron I samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 08:48:37 »
i personally love my filco full size compared to the ducky fullsize.
Then again i really don't like Cherry Stabilizers.  They don't feel "right" to me.

so again its all personal choice lol

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 09:22:45 »

the Filco?

or the Ducky?

Thanks!

My Ducky isn't in yet, so I can speak to that.  But personally I found Leopold more solid in a TKL and WASD more solid in a full-size.  Both in direct comparison to Filco and other brands.

I have the luxury of choice, and sitting on my desk are a Leo 200 TKL and a WASD v1 full-size.  Both are Brown, and both seem more 'solid' to me than the Filco.  The Filco spacebar in particular seems flimsier, although that is a hard bit to get right.

At work I use a Model M, so I am not dainty with my keyboards.

I'll update this once my Ducky Pro arrives, probably tomorrow.

- Ron I samwisekoi

That sounds like the Cherry Stabalizer is more solid than the wire one in the Filco.  What about the rest of the construction?  The case, feet, switches etc.
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 14:24:48 »
That sounds like the Cherry Stabalizer is more solid than the wire one in the Filco.  What about the rest of the construction?  The case, feet, switches etc.

I have a DK9008G2 Pro sitting in my lap right now. I've had my hands on a Filco.

Ducky DK9008G2 Pro hands down. I can overlook the obvious QC problemchild - windowed dye-sub PBT (which yes is essentially doubleshot) is HARD. The rest of the construction is incredibly, incredibly solid. This thing is borderline Model M. I actually hurt myself carrying the box downstairs due to the weight.

So yeah. Skip both. Order a DK9008G2 Pro. :)
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 14:49:59 »

I have a DK9008G2 Pro sitting in my lap right now. I've had my hands on a Filco.

Ducky DK9008G2 Pro hands down. I can overlook the obvious QC problemchild - windowed dye-sub PBT (which yes is essentially doubleshot) is HARD. The rest of the construction is incredibly, incredibly solid. This thing is borderline Model M. I actually hurt myself carrying the box downstairs due to the weight.

Is there a TKL version?  I can't seem to find one.
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 15:38:10 »

Is there a TKL version?  I can't seem to find one.

Okay, so I'm being slightly snarky today.. I'm allowed, dangit.

The DK9087G2 is pretty much the TKL version of the DK9008G2 Pro, yes. But the DK9087G2 is not available with the thick dye-sub PBT keycaps. And the keycaps aren't available separately. The keycaps make a huge difference with switch feel on Cherry MX's.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline InAComaDial999

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 17:39:15 »
I have both boards with MX Reds.  I like the Ducky G2 TKL, but I have to say the Filco TKL is more solid.  The Cherry stabilizers on the Ducky really don't bother me very much on a keyboard with Reds, although they do make the spacebar feel very slightly heavier than the Filco.  The Filco is a bit heavier and the case has basically no flex, the Ducky doesn't feel quite as tank-like solid, although it doesn't feel cheap or light either. 

All that being said, they are both good boards and which to choose would depend on whether you want the Ducky's features -- the Ducky features USB NKRO, backlit WASD cluster, media keys, and a removable USB cable, while the Filco has none of those.  If those are not important to you then I would go with the Filco for the better stabilizer and overall better build quality.
WASD V2 w/Browns | Ducky 9008G2 Pro PBT w/Clears | Filco Majestouch 2 w/Blues | Filco Ninja TKL w/Reds

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 17:44:00 »
Thanks for the replies.  I think I'll stick with Filco and just put custom keycaps on them Right now my TKL has some PBT caps that are very very nice.
45g Brown Brown Blue