Author Topic: worst keyboard ever?  (Read 121071 times)

Offline harrison

Re: worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #200 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 09:01:18 »
Ooh - I don't think anyone has mentioned the Dell Vostros that were shipped like this (look closely):

Show Image

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05/02/dell_keyboard_blunder_vostro/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jacobgordon/2455618195

worst typing experience or finger feel are two very different things.  as far as typing experience goes, if the board as been built using a non-standard layout... that's the last straw for me.  that dell vostro would take the cake in that department.  that's just unreal.

as far as finger feel... i'd have to say that a worn dell sk8115 has to be one of those most unpleasant typing experiences i've had as of recent.

although, the WORST finger feel i've ever had was the old apple //c i had growing up.  as a kid, the force required to activate those keys was enormous.  there were many times i recall pressing a key and it not activating at all, the switch just didn't move.  and the linear arrow keys... ugh.

« Last Edit: Mon, 13 August 2012, 09:03:14 by harrison »
[work]ducky tiger dk-9008G2, cherry mx brown|logitech performance mx
[home]corsair k70 LUX RGB, cherry mx brown|logitech G700s

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #201 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 11:12:32 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 14:15:02 by davkol »

Offline harrison

« Reply #202 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 12:51:26 »
Worst keyboard in my opinion is the Dell KB212-B keyboards.

Show Image

These keyboards come with almost every new Dell sold (I have dealt with them alot at work) and may very well be the most mushy, unpleasing new keyboards I have ever had to type on.  Thank God I decided to bring in my IBM Model M and my Ducky DK 1087 with MX Blues into work today; I might actually be able to get some work done now.

We have these in one lab in school… they're not that bad. Some of the better OEM boards today, actually. Awesome design and build quality for a $10 thing. Sure, they're mushy, but at least not too stiff or sticky like many other cheap keyboards.

yeah, I agree with you actually.  My parents both love this keyboard... I had been thinking about buying one of the new cherry 3800 for my mom since she spends most of her day typing and likes the low profile keys, but figured she's appreciate the cherry switches.

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #203 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 14:18:17 »

Show Image

These keyboards come with almost every new Dell sold (I have dealt with them alot at work) and may very well be the most mushy, unpleasing new keyboards I have ever had to type on.  Thank God I decided to bring in my IBM Model M and my Ducky DK 1087 with MX Blues into work today; I might actually be able to get some work done now.

Really hate that keyboard and feels like sh it....Damn rubber domes with low profile.

"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #204 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 03:52:33 »
2104-0
Really, look at the arrow keys...

Offline 486

« Reply #205 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 04:24:41 »
although, the WORST finger feel i've ever had was the old apple //c i had growing up.  as a kid, the force required to activate those keys was enormous.  there were many times i recall pressing a key and it not activating at all, the switch just didn't move.  and the linear arrow keys... ugh.
They were Yellow Alps. Many people have said they are excellent.

Offline harrison

« Reply #206 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 08:43:10 »
They were Yellow Alps. Many people have said they are excellent.

well, the computer wasn't new to me... perhaps something was spilled in them?  who knows, all i can say is that they were a huge pain in the ass to type on as a 10 year old.

Offline PRISONER 24601

« Reply #207 on: Thu, 20 December 2012, 06:48:43 »
10511-0

Fujitsu Peerless.
There are some keys you can't un-mash.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
G80-3000LSCRC-2 (MX), "Ricercar" G86-6241OEUAGSA (MX), MX11800 (MX), AEKII (ALPS), AEK (ALPS) Apple Keyboard A9M0330 (ALPS), IBM Model F XT (Bucking Spring), IBM Space Saver 1391472 (Bucking Spring).

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #208 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 08:18:07 »
Any laptop keyboard. I've never found one that I liked. They're always super cramped and awkward.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #209 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 12:38:42 »
Show Image

I actually just got one of these for my girlfriend. She loves 'em. I'm afraid there's no hope for her (she hates my Cherry boards and I don't let her touch my Topre boards).

Offline PRISONER 24601

« Reply #210 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 12:50:36 »

Show Image

I actually like the direction they're going with that particular series of dell oems. they look, type, and feel better than the sk8115 etc models from a few years back. At least the styling is low-key and modern.

compared to a buckling spring or MX blue and they're like typing on watery mashed potatoes, though. Yuck.
G80-3000LSCRC-2 (MX), "Ricercar" G86-6241OEUAGSA (MX), MX11800 (MX), AEKII (ALPS), AEK (ALPS) Apple Keyboard A9M0330 (ALPS), IBM Model F XT (Bucking Spring), IBM Space Saver 1391472 (Bucking Spring).

Offline bavman

« Reply #211 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 12:56:52 »
One time (way in the past when I didn't own more keyboards than I needed) I bought a microcenter $5 board to hold me over till my filco came in the mail. It was pretty bad.

I also tried a sidewinder x4 one time before i got into mechanical keyboards and i absolutely hated it. The keys are tiny and it feels terrible

Offline PRISONER 24601

« Reply #212 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 13:09:02 »
How is it that Key Tronic can make a honest-to-god-near-perfect, but still dirt cheap, rubber dome keyboard for 5 bucks, while the mental midgets at Dell still haven't figured out how to make an off center key press work??

Offline beefblast

« Reply #213 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 13:40:36 »

Show Image

I actually like the direction they're going with that particular series of dell oems. they look, type, and feel better than the sk8115 etc models from a few years back. At least the styling is low-key and modern.

compared to a buckling spring or MX blue and they're like typing on watery mashed potatoes, though. Yuck.

These ones aren't too bad. The "other" keyboard they sell, the one with contoured sides, are pretty awful. The real problem, though, is that they quickly get much much worse. The plungers wear badly and start to stick, making for wobbly, creaky, sticky keys. After a year or two you just have to throw them out.

Offline bisl

« Reply #214 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 15:54:37 »
After a year or two you just have to throw them out.

Amusingly, even at that rate it would still take about 12 years to add up to the price of a Filco. Not that I didn't choose the Filco myself.

Offline Magnusian

« Reply #215 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 17:52:32 »
My brother owns a Deck Legend with cherry blacks and I can't imagine typing on a worse full-size board. I don't think I can touch-type a single word on it without typos and the key profiles are absolutely horrid. It feels like the keys are supported by silly putty or something. Whenever I find that I have to use his desktop I plug something else in. I hate that keyboard so much I've thought about taking an axe to it.

I'm sure many here would disagree with me on it being the absolute worst, but when I die and go to Hell I am certain that I'll be shoved into a tiny room filled to the brim with ancient machines running GNU/Linux that I'll be forced to configure sendmail on with a Deck Legend or one of those crummy modern mac chicklet keyboards.
Model M 1390120 1986  | Unicomp Customizer 104 1-Piece Keys | Franken M IBM 1390120 1987/Unicomp U4044A 2007 hybrid | CM QFR Cherry MX Greens

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #216 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 22:54:49 »
How is it that Key Tronic can make a honest-to-god-near-perfect, but still dirt cheap, rubber dome keyboard for 5 bucks, while the mental midgets at Dell still haven't figured out how to make an off center key press work??

Costs more than a fraction of a fraction of a penny to add the 'off center key press' functionality so it got cut from final product.

Though frankly my vote for absolute worst keyboard ever would have to be an ODM made store brand that CompUSA, Frys and MicroCenter all sold. Thing weighed less than a pound. Unlubricated sliders over pop-dome membrane. If you could type more than 5 WPM on that thing it was a miracle between all the keys sticking.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline jabar

« Reply #217 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 23:03:28 »
My brother owns a Deck Legend with cherry blacks and I can't imagine typing on a worse full-size board. I don't think I can touch-type a single word on it without typos and the key profiles are absolutely horrid. It feels like the keys are supported by silly putty or something. Whenever I find that I have to use his desktop I plug something else in. I hate that keyboard so much I've thought about taking an axe to it.

I'm sure many here would disagree with me on it being the absolute worst, but when I die and go to Hell I am certain that I'll be shoved into a tiny room filled to the brim with ancient machines running GNU/Linux that I'll be forced to configure sendmail on with a Deck Legend or one of those crummy modern mac chicklet keyboards.
At the very least the Deck keyboard is a Cherry MX keyboard. I have a lot of active default HP rubber dome keyboards at work and they are absolutely miserable to type on (myriad of typos no matter how good the touch typist). Still, the complete lack of interest in improving and promoting the Deck brand by T3G is disgraceful and they deserve whatever demerits they receive (consider Deck has been in the specialty keyboard business for some 7-ish years now).
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline Magnusian

« Reply #218 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 15:18:08 »

At the very least the Deck keyboard is a Cherry MX keyboard. I have a lot of active default HP rubber dome keyboards at work and they are absolutely miserable to type on (myriad of typos no matter how good the touch typist). Still, the complete lack of interest in improving and promoting the Deck brand by T3G is disgraceful and they deserve whatever demerits they receive (consider Deck has been in the specialty keyboard business for some 7-ish years now).

I've typed on a large number of RD keyboards, ranging from the el-cheapo $3 ones to the "nice" $30 range ones and would consider them all to be better than (at least the one my brother owns) Deck. Right now I have a Logitech wireless one that I use with a media pc and even that offers what I feel to be a superior typing experience to the Deck. Before the Deck he had a Saitek Eclipse or something, which while pretty crummy, was at least not impossible to type on.
Model M 1390120 1986  | Unicomp Customizer 104 1-Piece Keys | Franken M IBM 1390120 1987/Unicomp U4044A 2007 hybrid | CM QFR Cherry MX Greens

Offline BlindRAGE606

• Prince of All Saiyans
« Reply #219 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 16:59:32 »
Has to be a dell sk8115, we have these at my Uni computer lab+work office and it SUCKKKS.

DUCKY TKL MX BLACK | HHKB PRO 2 | BEAST PH&LACEWOOD

Offline crthell

• crthell
« Reply #220 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 22:35:57 »
I am currently typing on a DELL KB1421. It's pretty horrible in all fairness, but nothing in comparison to the Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard that my college has in the library.
Holy old thread resurrection!
/crthell
Mechanical Keyboard(s): Apple Extended Keyboard II M3501 (dampened Alps)
Quality Rubber Dome(s): Dell QuietKey RT7D5JTW

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #221 on: Sun, 23 December 2012, 19:06:07 »
Not the first time either.

Reply #188 was on 04-06-2010, reply #189 was on 03-05-2012.

Now that's reanimation of a thread's slowly decaying corpse ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #222 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 13:48:55 »
My co-worker just started typing on a Microsoft Natural curve something or-another with the zoom lever directly where the G, H keys should be. I typed on it for a minute.... Worst Keyboard Ever.
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #223 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 14:25:11 »
..pretty much any generic ~$5 keyboard.

Offline Dugzor

• Dugzor on G+
« Reply #224 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 14:47:47 »
Damn, I hate these things.

Rosewill RK-9000 - Cherry MX Blue  |  Logitech Performance MX

Offline calavera

« Reply #225 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 14:59:35 »
Any membrane keyboard with keys that stick due to age.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #226 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 15:30:48 »
A foil & foam where the foam has deteriorated.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #227 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 15:36:48 »

both are terrible...I'm using the latter to rest my feet on...
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline aviphysics

« Reply #228 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 16:33:40 »
It is pretty clear from this thread that a lot of you really don't really appreciate how terrible a keyboard can be.

For example
this

or this

and I don't even think those are the worst.

For some reason I remember some early computer that had a built in keyboard of the style that looks like a flat piece of plastic with letters and outlines printed on it for they keys and you have to hit it really hard or they don't register.

Edit: I think I found the absolute worst keyboard ever. Short of a keyboard soaked in sewage I think this is.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 February 2013, 16:37:07 by aviphysics »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #229 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 18:58:38 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 14:15:17 by davkol »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #230 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 19:23:02 »
Damn, I hate these things.

Show Image

lol, one of my favorite boards ever

Offline morpheus

« Reply #231 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 03:49:31 »
It is pretty clear from this thread that a lot of you really don't really appreciate how terrible a keyboard can be.

For example
this
Show Image

or this
Show Image

For some reason I remember some early computer that had a built in keyboard of the style that looks like a flat piece of plastic with letters and outlines printed on it for they keys and you have to hit it really hard or they don't register.

Edit: I think I found the absolute worst keyboard ever. Short of a keyboard soaked in sewage I think this is.
Show Image

Is that a fruit roll up?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #232 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 04:27:34 »
This thread has been around a while :eek:

The worst keyboard is always the one you're either waiting to build and/or the one coming in the mail. :P

Offline ksm123

« Reply #233 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 06:23:07 »
In early nineties, there was a Polish computer company, called Optimus (there are long defunct because of tax problems).

They sold their computers with mechanical keyboards. This keyboards were based on some Alps or alps rip off switch. It was very stiff before actuation, and it was very hard not to bottom it out. I used to hate their keyboards.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #234 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 06:46:16 »
23827-0

Offline wyatt8740

• Machine code enthusiast
« Reply #235 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 13:11:33 »
This thread has been revived more times than I've repaired this keyboard...
The tactile experience is dreadful. It's not even mushy, but man, something is clearly off. It feels similar to the Tandy 1400LT keyboard, but 10x worse.
(From: the Commodore VIC-20, but the same keyboard is used in the C64.)

Info on whet the repair I did is:
More
Look carefully. I got this from a warehouse/factory, specifically from the junk pile in a corner, also where I found my Model M. While I have cleaned it very well, it came missing a '3' key. The previous owner had actually snapped it clean off, and it was not meant to be removable. The key you see there was stolen from the common Dell circa 2006 Keyboard. I have a stack of them for replacement keys. I got a spring from the 'miscellaneous parts' area of my toolchest, and i held it all together with a toothpick.

Sorry for the poor quality even on such a resolution. My camera was stolen last summer >:( ******* smashed the window of my poor volvo.

This is a bit of a suprise: a crappy lenovo/IBM keyboard.

Horrible rubber caps. Should be killed on sight. To use the expression I saw earlier in this thread, it feels not unlike typing on a dead octopus.

The WORST space-saving keyboard in the history of time:

Gear-Head Black Mini Keyboard. I saw a class on programming on a Raspberry Pi, peeked in, saw them using these sh*tty keyboards, and left. I mean, EVERYTHING is wrong. The spacebar, the arrowkey layout, the general button layout, the shift keys, EVERYTHING. Hell, the num lock is next to the spacebar, and if you miss the spacebar (because it's miniscule) you could hit it. Then, because the letter keys act as numbers with numlock on, you would be typing numbers instead of the right-hand side of your letter keys. How anyone can suffer such abuse and not proceed to strangle a baby escapes me. Radio$hack sells them online, so if you want proof, go ahead.
... I dare you.
Seriously, it is only slightly worse than handwriting a program in C:

For discerning eyes, no, this program is not complete. I wrote this part on a bus though. While my hands were cramped afterwards, it's still better than the Gear-Head.

Thus, I now type on my Model M.
I got it for free from the place I found my VIC-20, but this is seriously in perfect shape :D Even came with the cable and all the spacebar needed to start working properly was a re-seating.
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 July 2013, 13:16:28 by wyatt8740 »
I don't usually collect things, but when I do, they're from the 70's, 80's, and 90's. My typing speed: 79 WPM
IBM Model M 1386303, 1987 / IBM Model M 1391401, 1993 / IBM Model M 59G7980, 1993 / Unicomp "Mini M" UT40E7A (modded), 2021 / Dell AT101W, 1994 (Black Alps) / Apple Extended Keyboard (Orange Alps), 1987 / Sun Type 5, unknown year (Rubber Dome)

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #236 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 14:03:50 »
i had some of those lenovo's at my old work, i didnt mind them that much for a rubber dome i thought they were pretty decent.
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #237 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 14:05:52 »

For example
this
Show Image

or this
Show Image

I'm on my phone otherwise I'd take a picture. I think you mean the sinclair zx81. +1
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline mauri

« Reply #238 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 14:24:23 »
Show Image

How can you hate that keyboard, I had one at my previous job, it was amazing. I was actually recently wondering whether it was a mech board, it was just that good :o
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #239 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 14:36:12 »
Anything touchscreen.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline TrueOP

« Reply #240 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 15:27:02 »
Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #241 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 15:41:05 »
Anything touchscreen.

agreed !

What!? 20WPM is the future of computing!
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #242 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 15:55:31 »

you mean like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/300937914834

They are also popular on POS keybaords. Sadly I have to scroll past a lot of them in my ebay search.

Offline nullptr

« Reply #243 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 18:10:43 »

I was reminded yesterday of this monstrosity at the computer science museum. Hnnnng.
'11 WASD V1 - '91 IBM Model M (1391401) - Poker II (ordered)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #244 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 19:25:48 »
Anything touchscreen.

I actually used a touchscreen (on an iPad) recently, and found the experience surprisingly good.

Doesn't compare to a mechanical keyboard, of course, but I was able to more or less touch type entire paragraphs without mistaks.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #245 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 19:30:07 »
Anything touchscreen.

I actually used a touchscreen (on an iPad) recently, and found the experience surprisingly good.

Doesn't compare to a mechanical keyboard, of course, but I was able to more or less touch type entire paragraphs without mistaks.

Props to you.

I didn't think that it was possible touch type on an iPaid.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #246 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 00:28:28 »
Props to you.

I'm getting there. With one thumb. On a phone. MessagEase is pretty great for a phone board. A few typos when I type in a rush and try to go faster than I can handle sometimes though. Like a random ampersand in the middle of a word or an e in place of a space. Other than those, it's awesome.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #247 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 03:03:32 »
Anything touchscreen.

Props to you.

I was surprised too.  iPad turned to landscape and propped up slightly, and it was surprisingly easy to type on it.

I wouldn't choose to do that on a regular basis though.

Offline Narcix

« Reply #248 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 03:26:21 »
Cellulon Magic Cube
Keycool 87 Grey PBT with mx blues

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #249 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 08:46:01 »
Anything touchscreen.

Props to you.

I was surprised too.  iPad turned to landscape and propped up slightly, and it was surprisingly easy to type on it.

I wouldn't choose to do that on a regular basis though.

Meh.

I'm used to 80g switches.

I once tried the same trick you described.

It's worse than rubberdome.

A lot worse.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013