Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 1628240 times)

Offline macclack

• Macclack
Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #6100 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 18:52:48 »
A lot of us are lurkers or just use old Alps boards with no modifications, etc (I fall into both categories).
Glad to hear someone here isn't hacking up or (unsustainably) harvesting vintage keyboards.

Yeah, I just can't bring myself to disassemble a vintage Alps keyboard. It feels a bit wrong.

Offline abrahamstechnology

« Reply #6101 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 20:31:16 »
A lot of us are lurkers or just use old Alps boards with no modifications, etc (I fall into both categories).
Glad to hear someone here isn't hacking up or (unsustainably) harvesting vintage keyboards.

Yeah, I just can't bring myself to disassemble a vintage Alps keyboard. It feels a bit wrong.

Thank you!

Offline pixelpusher

• Formerly known as reececonrad
« Reply #6102 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 21:06:27 »

Thank you!

I cut a new old stock Ortek board down to make a 60% build from it.  Didn’t feel bad because it was pretty **** for quality. But yeah, nice solid boards should be respected for their purposeful beauty

https://imgur.com/gallery/8sS6M
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 January 2019, 21:08:31 by pixelpusher »
:)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6103 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 08:53:20 »

nice solid boards should be respected for their purposeful beauty

I am not averse to scavenging or altering common boards like Apples and Dells.
After Trump’s speech, Trump’s team sent out a mass email to his supporters (supposedly directly from Trump) soliciting half a million dollars in donations specifically for something named as the “Official Secure the Border Fund.”  The email asserted that the half a million needed to be raised in one day, and that there was a 9 PM Eastern “deadline" for the funds to be donated.  The email went on to say that Trump had directed his staff to bring him a list of “EVERY AMERICAN PATRIOT” (all caps in the original, of course) who had donated.  (Never mind wondering how he would have time to read such a list after 9 pm, when his speech began.)
At the end of the email — my guess would be in smaller print — was a disclaimer that all donations would be given to Trump’s 2020 re-election campaign fund.  That’s right — NOT to some alleged “Official Secure the Border Fund.”
After the speech, a second email went out to supporters who had not donated, asserting that when Trump reviewed the list of donations, “he noticed that your name was not on the list.”  (I kid you not.)  Therefore, the “deadline" was being extended so that the singled-out supporter could have a chance to donate to the “Official Secure the Border Fund" and get on the list.
- Lawrence O'Donnell 2019

Online Gati

« Reply #6104 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 14:12:38 »
Sorry that this is off topic to the post, but where do most of y’all source your alps board?

Offline abrahamstechnology

« Reply #6105 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 16:58:51 »

nice solid boards should be respected for their purposeful beauty

I am not averse to scavenging or altering common boards like Apples and Dells.

I have never seen any AEK or Dell AT101W in active service in my life. (Except of course, the refurbished ones I've sold/given away to people)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6106 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 17:26:48 »

I have never seen any AEK or Dell AT101W in active service in my life. (Except of course, the refurbished ones I've sold/given away to people)

True, I have not seen a strange one in use in at least a decade, but they used to appear in salvage and thrift stores from time to time. Nor I have not seen any there for a few years.
After Trump’s speech, Trump’s team sent out a mass email to his supporters (supposedly directly from Trump) soliciting half a million dollars in donations specifically for something named as the “Official Secure the Border Fund.”  The email asserted that the half a million needed to be raised in one day, and that there was a 9 PM Eastern “deadline" for the funds to be donated.  The email went on to say that Trump had directed his staff to bring him a list of “EVERY AMERICAN PATRIOT” (all caps in the original, of course) who had donated.  (Never mind wondering how he would have time to read such a list after 9 pm, when his speech began.)
At the end of the email — my guess would be in smaller print — was a disclaimer that all donations would be given to Trump’s 2020 re-election campaign fund.  That’s right — NOT to some alleged “Official Secure the Border Fund.”
After the speech, a second email went out to supporters who had not donated, asserting that when Trump reviewed the list of donations, “he noticed that your name was not on the list.”  (I kid you not.)  Therefore, the “deadline" was being extended so that the singled-out supporter could have a chance to donate to the “Official Secure the Border Fund" and get on the list.
- Lawrence O'Donnell 2019

Offline pixelpusher

« Reply #6107 on: Fri, 11 January 2019, 08:48:45 »
Got a big one, boys.  First time I've had a seller actually work with me with some good counter-offers.  Glad some people still know how to make deals.

Sweet, smooth greens.  I think it's a looker:

210369-0

Will update when it gets here.

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #6108 on: Fri, 11 January 2019, 13:31:14 »
Got a big one, boys.  First time I've had a seller actually work with me with some good counter-offers.  Glad some people still know how to make deals.

Sweet, smooth greens.  I think it's a looker:

(Attachment Link)

Will update when it gets here.

OOh that is a good one! You got a switch pic from the seller? I've seen these with vintage blacks (AT) and SKCM Blue too. If the board is in as good condition as the box, those switches should be awesome:D
Cream Damped Mods Sound Test

So, logically, ALL of the time between NOW and SpaceRock, is the Test..

Offline pixelpusher

« Reply #6109 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 11:46:42 »
Okay, so the KB-5152 has green alps.  They are pretty clean.  Several of them are buttery smooth.  Some are about an 8/10.  But here's the problem... I can't get it to work.  It has an AT-XT switch on the back.  In AT mode over PS2 (DIN-mini DIN adapter that I know works) nothing happens.  The Cursor Pad light comes on at startup of the computer, but nothing else happens.  I can't toggle numlock or caps or anything. 

If I put it in XT mode over the same adapter on startup, I can toggle numlock and capslock, but of course it doesn't work, b/c it's in XT mode.

Any ideas?  Do you think running it in XT mode with soarer's converter would work? 

It's a really fun board in good condition.  Just hate that I can't get it to work.

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #6110 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 16:48:40 »
Okay, so the KB-5152 has green alps.  They are pretty clean.  Several of them are buttery smooth.  Some are about an 8/10.  But here's the problem... I can't get it to work.  It has an AT-XT switch on the back.  In AT mode over PS2 (DIN-mini DIN adapter that I know works) nothing happens.  The Cursor Pad light comes on at startup of the computer, but nothing else happens.  I can't toggle numlock or caps or anything. 

If I put it in XT mode over the same adapter on startup, I can toggle numlock and capslock, but of course it doesn't work, b/c it's in XT mode.

Any ideas?  Do you think running it in XT mode with soarer's converter would work? 

It's a really fun board in good condition.  Just hate that I can't get it to work.

Not sure if this helps but the main reason I sold my White Label Z-150 was because even though it was an AT type protocol, it would only work with a cheap Monoprice mouse-keyboard combo PS/2 converter. It wouldn't work with my Soarer's or Hasu's TMK PS/2 converter, even with the pullup resistors and remapping keys is a necessity for me.

It might be possible there is something like that going on. At least you have the switch on there so it can work in AT/XT mode with Soarer's converter (more options), though I prefer flashing TMK.
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline pixelpusher

« Reply #6111 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 17:09:46 »

Not sure if this helps but the main reason I sold my White Label Z-150 was because even though it was an AT type protocol, it would only work with a cheap Monoprice mouse-keyboard combo PS/2 converter. It wouldn't work with my Soarer's or Hasu's TMK PS/2 converter, even with the pullup resistors and remapping keys is a necessity for me.

It might be possible there is something like that going on. At least you have the switch on there so it can work in AT/XT mode with Soarer's converter (more options), though I prefer flashing TMK.

I have a soarer's on the way.  I bet you're right.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6112 on: Tue, 15 January 2019, 00:42:52 »

my white-label Z-150 didn't work with a Soarer's either, but it did work directly over PS/2 - however, he's already tried that Oo .
Check my keyboard video reviews: