Author Topic: Anyone here uses linux?  (Read 23255 times)

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
Re: Anyone here uses linux?
« Reply #150 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 11:35:59 »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU

Richard Stallman has stated many times that gnu is not linux. linux is a just a kernel.

GNU Hurd (the actual gnu kernel)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd

GNU Packages - what most people think of as being GNU as part of the free software foundation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_GNU_packages

you can use these same packages on hurd, BSD, linux, windows, solaris and many more.

So basically we are changing the original topic again from linux to gnu. :D

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #151 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 11:45:40 »
Ubuntu is has the most $$$ backing it at the moment and seems to have the most active development so I will discuss it for a moment.
Ubuntu is based on debian linux and tends to be what most people try first when leaving windows.
Ubuntu is great but you will probably get frustrated with the window manager UNITY and want to try gnome or KDE or another window manager.
do not remove unity from ubuntu. just add the other window manager you want because if you remove unity you will break other applications/packages that depend on it.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #152 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 11:54:56 »
Ubuntu is has the most $$$ backing it at the moment and seems to have the most active development so I will discuss it for a moment.

What? O_o

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #153 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 12:00:25 »
BSD (Berkeley Software Distribution) was fully licensed from ATT. The other versions are open/free branches based on BSD. Just like Linux is based on UNIX. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Unix_history-simple.svg

GNU/Linux is in no way based on Unix, it is just Unix like. Just like if I went out and made an operating system that resembled Windows from scratch it wouldn't be Windows based, just Windows like.

Fun fact- GNU actually stands for "GNU's not Unix".

I don't agree,  the best way I've heard it described is "BSD is what you get when a bunch of UNIX hackers try to make a UNIX clone.  Linux is what you get when a bunch of PC hackers try to make a UNIX clone."  They are very similar, they just have different goals.

Unix clone ≠ based on unix.
For it to be unix based they would have had to have taken and modified the actual unix source code and modified it. They didn't.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #154 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 12:11:58 »

AKA longest running joke of the free software world.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #155 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 12:25:43 »
Unix clone ≠ based on unix.
For it to be unix based they would have had to have taken and modified the actual unix source code and modified it. They didn't.

I don't think "based" has as strict a meaning as you think it does.  You're not wrong that the Linux source code was developed independently, but it's fair to say that it was based (conceptually) on UNIX.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #156 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 12:39:24 »
black box reverse engineered or identical input produces identical output are both "based on"
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline bigx333

« Reply #157 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 12:58:07 »

AKA longest running joke of the free software world.

And yet one of the best kernel designs ever made, so sad it will most likely never be really usable.
2TU | LZ-GH

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #158 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 13:09:51 »

What? O_o

i do not understand your confusion.
canonical has tons of service/maintenance contracts  that they use to pay for some to there projects.

i am discussing this from a workstation point of view.

from a server view centos is killing redhat enterprise. i qm on tapatalk and can't type a lot as i have a meeting to run off to.

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #159 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 14:43:18 »
BSD (Berkeley Software Distribution) was fully licensed from ATT. The other versions are open/free branches based on BSD. Just like Linux is based on UNIX. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Unix_history-simple.svg

GNU/Linux is in no way based on Unix, it is just Unix like. Just like if I went out and made an operating system that resembled Windows from scratch it wouldn't be Windows based, just Windows like.

GNU doesn't necessarily have anything to do with Linux. That's just Stallman's way of "wording" it because he still can't get over the face some college kid beat him to it 20 years ago.  And yes Linux was modelled after UNIX (if you like that term better.) That's why the 'nux is there. Linus himself has mentioned this in several interviews over the years when asked about the name of Linux.

...now if I had said clone...that may have been inappropriate, but I didn't.
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 July 2013, 14:51:09 by smknjoe »
SSKs for everyone!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #160 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 14:45:00 »

What? O_o

i do not understand your confusion.
canonical has tons of service/maintenance contracts  that they use to pay for some to there projects.

i am discussing this from a workstation point of view.

from a server view centos is killing redhat enterprise. i qm on tapatalk and can't type a lot as i have a meeting to run off to.

wat

Canonical is a joke compared to Red Hat. They still aren't profitable and their cooperation with upstream is a failure.

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #161 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 14:46:27 »
Modeled after or inspired by would be correct and make more sense than based on. Or even saying the concept is based on unix works. But saying the system as a whole is based on unix is misleading, even if you do argue it's correct in some sense of the word.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #162 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 14:47:38 »

GNU doesn't necessarily have anything to do with Linux. That's just Stallman's way of "wording" it. because he still can't get over the face some college kid beat him to it.  And yes Linux was modelled after UNIX (if you like that term better.)

UNIX-like yes, but no way it's UNIX-based. That's why SCO didn't win.

Offline bigx333

« Reply #163 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 14:57:22 »

GNU doesn't necessarily have anything to do with Linux. That's just Stallman's way of "wording" it because he still can't get over the face some college kid beat him to it 20 years ago.  And yes Linux was modelled after UNIX (if you like that term better.) That's why the 'nux is there. Linus himself has mentioned this in several interviews over the years when asked about the name of Linux.

...now if I had said clone...that may have been inappropriate, but I didn't.

LOLWUT?

Without GNU software the Linux kernel can't even be compiled, the Linux eco system IS GNU and Linux can't exist in a usable state without it.
2TU | LZ-GH

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #164 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 15:10:50 »
You guys keep going more and more off topic. You sound like Stallman. Linux is the kernel -  the OS. It was developed completely independently of GNU on a Minix box. With that kernel you can use whatever tools you want on top of that whether they are GNU or custom programs. Both types of Linux exist. Some use GNU and some don't.
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 July 2013, 16:54:31 by smknjoe »
SSKs for everyone!

Offline bigx333

« Reply #165 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 15:24:46 »
You guys keep going more and more off topic. You sound like Stallman. Linux is the kernel - the main part of the OS. It was developed completely independently of GNU on a Minix box. With that kernel you can use whatever tools you want on top of that whether they are GNU or custom programs. Both types of Linux exist. Some use GNU and some don't.

On a Minix box using GCC 1.40, the compiler that is a child of the GNU project and which is REQUIRED to this day to compile Linux since it doesn't compile with LLVM or ICC.

Unlike system's like FreeBSD where the world is GNU free, Linux cannot exist without GNU.
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 July 2013, 15:37:49 by bigx333 »
2TU | LZ-GH

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #166 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 15:30:31 »
...anyway...

There are several Linux distributions out there that are ready to use right out of the box even for noobs or Stallman lovers ;)
SSKs for everyone!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #167 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 16:16:22 »
From my own personal experience, I have installed Ubuntu/Xubuntu on my wife's machines, and she was able to do everything she uses her PC for without difficulty. And she is a typical (non-geek) user. Of course, she has live-in tech support if she needs it, but from a usability standpoint, the *buntu's are there now. She doesn't really notice much of a difference from her experience running Windows.

I don't get caught up in semantics, like the RMS followers do. What most people call "Linux" is indeed a distro, not just the kernel. It seems some of the more successful distros have distanced themselves from being called "Linux." See Ubuntu, Fedora, CentOS, Android. So the "operating system" is a set of programs (incl. GNU, etc.) which run on top of the (Linux) kernel. It's a distro, and if people want to call their OS "Linux," what is the harm? Of course, Mac OS X (and by extension iOS), is UNIX-like at its core, using the Darwin kernel, which itself is based off BSD/Mach.

I really wish GNU/Hurd was stable, but I really doubt that will ever happen.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #168 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 16:24:35 »
What about different kernels in Debian?

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #169 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 16:32:33 »
What about different kernels in Debian?
it seems like you already know the answer to this.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 August 2013, 01:16:03 by domoaligato »

Offline id0827502

« Reply #170 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 17:13:56 »
Linux threads always turn into perdantic nit-picking. Makes me sad. I sort of think that's why it's not perhaps doing as well as it could, because the community and the developers can't get over themselves.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #171 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 17:21:57 »
Linux threads always turn into perdantic nit-picking. Makes me sad. I sort of think that's why it's not perhaps doing as well as it could, because the community and the developers can't get over themselves.

I agree. Users more than developers though.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #172 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 17:54:32 »

Using that kind of "logic", there shouldn't be any GeForce/Radeon owners because of flamewars on the internets...

Offline id0827502

« Reply #173 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 20:59:46 »

Using that kind of "logic", there shouldn't be any GeForce/Radeon owners because of flamewars on the internets...

Not really.

Difference being a commercial entity and one that is propelled by community and open sharing. Money will help sell itself, whereas with something that is open and free, it instinctively comes to as something that has no value or has less value than the paid alternative.

When you're trying to convince people to move over to an open and free alternative, and yet you're punishing them for not understanding something as irrelevant as how to refer to what the thing even is, the potential users are gonna become confused, irritated, and move away.

It's like one of those moody kids in high school that snap at you for asking how they are. You get a "**** off!" for being curious and you're not likely to ask again whereas the pretty chick with the nice-smelling perfume always responds with "Great thanks! How are you?" and you're more inclined to ask again, even elaborate if you gather the balls to.

Money sucks, but it does what it's supposed to do and does it well.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #174 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 22:28:01 »
Narcix  has not replied since he opened this discussion :(

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #175 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 22:45:47 »
We scared him off with all the OT BS and inaccurate pedantry.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #176 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 22:46:27 »
Narcix  has not replied since he opened this discussion :(

Probably overwhelmed by the discussion ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline id0827502

« Reply #177 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 00:00:56 »
We scared him off with all the OT BS and inaccurate pedantry.

This.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #178 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 00:24:47 »
To be honest, "how it is compared to windows?" sounds more like a flamebait. Flamebait that never fails.

Not really.

Difference being a commercial entity and one that is propelled by community and open sharing. Money will help sell itself, whereas with something that is open and free, it instinctively comes to as something that has no value or has less value than the paid alternative.

When you're trying to convince people to move over to an open and free alternative, and yet you're punishing them for not understanding something as irrelevant as how to refer to what the thing even is, the potential users are gonna become confused, irritated, and move away.

Money sucks, but it does what it's supposed to do and does it well.

Nah, there are plenty of companies that offer free software for monies.

As someone said, Unix is user-friendly, it just chooses its friends carefully. I consider this to be some kind of a filter. If somebody is discouraged from using something only because of flamewars on the internets, I'm glad that person won't bother anyone with stupid questions—it's usually that kind of users that expects "windoze for free" and fails in reading comprehention (or worse, doesn't read at all).

I'm not trying to convert anyone anymore... they just convert by themselves if they want me to provide them tech support.

It's like one of those moody kids in high school that snap at you for asking how they are. You get a "**** off!" for being curious and you're not likely to ask again whereas the pretty chick with the nice-smelling perfume always responds with "Great thanks! How are you?" and you're more inclined to ask again, even elaborate if you gather the balls to.

I don't think so. There's a huge cultural gap, take a look at all the flames about some Linus' quotes.

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #179 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 23:24:03 »
As someone said, Unix is user-friendly, it just chooses its friends carefully. I consider this to be some kind of a filter.
I heartily agree. Most of the Linux desktop advocates switched to Mac OS X (certified Unix) almost a decade ago.

Interesting confluence of user-friendly and choosiness there.
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #180 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 23:32:46 »
As someone said, Unix is user-friendly, it just chooses its friends carefully. I consider this to be some kind of a filter.
I heartily agree. Most of the Linux desktop advocates switched to Mac OS X (certified Unix) almost a decade ago.

Interesting confluence of user-friendly and choosiness there.

:)
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #181 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 03:55:53 »
To be honest, "how it is compared to windows?" sounds more like a flamebait. Flamebait that never fails.

This dude might be trolling. Here is another thread he started: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=46473.msg981773#msg981773
SSKs for everyone!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #182 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 08:29:28 »
I don't believe it's trolling; I think it was a plea for help.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #183 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 08:42:30 »
Well, if his inquiry was genuine I hope he gets the help he needs and I rescind my previous statement.
SSKs for everyone!