Author Topic: New Razer Naga MMO Gaming Mouse w/ Mechanical Switches  (Read 12189 times)

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Re: New Razer Naga MMO Gaming Mouse w/ Mechanical Switches
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 14:27:18 »
Saw the news earlier today, and I've got this to say about it;
I'm getting one.
It seems like the Naga 2012 without the shiny plastic and with a numpad more like the one on the G600, and I need that. Optimally I'd prefer one without the numpad, but if it's going to be there then it could at least be something good, and copying the G600 numpad is the best they can do in that regard.

Edit; Only issue I have is the new ugly design for the mouse buttons, I really liked the wavy flared thing they had going on with previous models.

Offline ferociousfingerings

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 19:07:33 »
LOL...

MAN... Who needs "8200dpi" ? That's so high that you could practically whip a 360 just by thinking about it. Just put your hand "near" the mouse, and it happens. That's high enough that if the mouse feels your pulse through your hand, you'll be all over the place.

Idk if i like that "wing" on the outside edge. Might make lifting awkward. Kinda looks very "g600-ish."

Hmm... I wonder if the "old" naga will show up cheap in some places...
Logitech G710+

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 20:15:58 »
I will stick with my Naga 2012's.

I prefer the light weight, smallness of the original form, and the glossy plastic actually helps me with grip for some reason... it just sticks right where it is within my grip.

I also chose the Naga over the G600 because of the convex shape of the Naga's buttons.
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 00:58:04 »
LOL...

MAN... Who needs "8200dpi" ? That's so high that you could practically whip a 360 just by thinking about it. Just put your hand "near" the mouse, and it happens. That's high enough that if the mouse feels your pulse through your hand, you'll be all over the place.

Don't forget about reasonable-resolution displays. I'm using 3520×1200 desktop these days, and going below 2000 dpi is a pain, while ~3000 dpi works fine. I can't wait for cheap high-dpi displays...

Offline MrexD

• aka mrwoodyxd
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 01:52:13 »
Can anyone explain how exactly this thing has "mechanical buttons"?

I can't imagine there being Cherry MX whatevers inside there...
Pok3r MX CLears

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 04:59:07 »

Micro Switches like "normal" mouse buttons have.

Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

Offline MrexD

• aka mrwoodyxd
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 06:20:49 »
and they differ from the current ones, how? O_o

as in they click the same way mouse buttons do?

seems interesting if that is what they're doing. The current side buttons on the naga are quite stiff i guess
Pok3r MX CLears

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 06:54:18 »
I would like to know what sensor it has. The previous Naga had the Philips twin eye sensor. One thing I really dislike on mice is when the side buttons are quite stiff, requiring a lot of pressure or pressure under a specific angle to actuate. The reason why this is more annoying on a mouse than on other peripherals is because you want to use them without interfering with other things you may be doing with the mouse (using LMB, RMB and moving the mouse). Hopefully actuation is smooth and there is not too much resistance.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 August 2013, 06:57:17 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 07:01:00 »
All those buttons :eek:

I'm in love ;)

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 07:09:02 »

Yes, this is mouse.

(from a razer april fools joke- https://www.razerzone.com/naga-phone-update )

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 08:14:10 »
and they differ from the current ones, how? O_o

as in they click the same way mouse buttons do?

seems interesting if that is what they're doing. The current side buttons on the naga are quite stiff i guess
Older Nagas afaik had some kind of rubberdome buttons.

I don't know which switches they us now, so hard to tell how exactly the feel.

I would like to know what sensor it has. The previous Naga had the Philips twin eye sensor.
Looks like a new PTE version.

Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 08:18:53 »
I would like to know what sensor it has. The previous Naga had the Philips twin eye sensor.
Nope, the previous Naga was the Naga 2012 which did not have PTE.
The new one doesn't seem to have the PTE either as if it did the specs on Razer's site would specify that it used a dual sensor system.

I'm guessing it's the same thing you'll find if you open up a cheap calculator.

Offline Skylit

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 12:59:50 »
The new one doesn't seem to have the PTE either as if it did the specs on Razer's site would specify that it used a dual sensor system.

Naga 2012 had PTE, new mouse has PTE.  Razer has used dual Sensor with Avago 9800 variant aswell.

Old Naga and G600 uses some slim tact switch. Both are very similar.  New version is marketed to at least indicate some sort of snap action feel.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 August 2013, 13:05:04 by Skylit »

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 13:04:00 »

Naga 2012 had PTE, new mouse has PTE.  Razer has used dual Sensor with Avago models aswell.

Also old Naga and G600 uses some slim tact switch. Both are very similar.

Huh, odd. I thought Razer dropped the PTE sensor, and my Naga 2012 hasn't shown any of the issues I've had with my other PTE mice.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 13:18:23 »

Naga 2012 had PTE, new mouse has PTE.  Razer has used dual Sensor with Avago models aswell.

Also old Naga and G600 uses some slim tact switch. Both are very similar.

Huh, odd. I thought Razer dropped the PTE sensor, and my Naga 2012 hasn't shown any of the issues I've had with my other PTE mice.

Both of my Naga 2012's have the Z axis issue. (not complaining about it, just noting that it is indeed present.)

Based on the shape of the sensor on the bottom of the Naga '14, it will have the problem as well.

Offline Skylit

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 13:19:41 »
They just recently went a 9800 variant in conjunction with a second small non tracking unit which supposedly aids in advanced calibration or lift off settings. Noted that the main sensor itself is capable of similar adjustment.   Twas used for Taipan and Ouroboros. 

Similar dual sensor was also used for PTE in Mamba and Imperator, which might be why you're confused.

Philips may have attempted to cure or re look at previous issues and adjust.  Even though I don't play MMOs, I do want to pick one of these up to mess with.

To clarify, all Naga's to this date have PTE.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 August 2013, 13:24:05 by Skylit »

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 14:30:10 »
They just recently went a 9800 variant in conjunction with a second small non tracking unit which supposedly aids in advanced calibration or lift off settings. Noted that the main sensor itself is capable of similar adjustment.   Twas used for Taipan and Ouroboros. 

Similar dual sensor was also used for PTE in Mamba and Imperator, which might be why you're confused.

Philips may have attempted to cure or re look at previous issues and adjust.  Even though I don't play MMOs, I do want to pick one of these up to mess with.

Thanks for the clarification, Razer's choice of wording led me to believe they stopped using PTE. Although I have to say that the one in the Naga 2012 is far better than the other PTEs I've used. Even though I love my Lachesis Refresh, the cursor does jump every now and then and it does occasionally stop tracking along one axis due to dust(not happened after I moved, though, less dust here). I haven't experiences any of the normal PTE issues with my Naga 2012.

I know they used a twin sensor for the Ouroboros, but I found no signs of PTE on Razer's Naga site. For instance, they usually have a graphic depicting a red and a blue beam coming from the sensor in the gallery on most PTE mice, but I seem to remember the Naga 2012 only showing a single red beam.

Also; I want the Ouroboros. I know it's probably going to be overpriced and flawed, but I still want one.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 15:47:32 »
I'll be honest, I've stayed away from the Naga because of its looks, but the new one looks reaaaaly nice. I'll definitely be picking one up.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 19:42:06 »
I've never tried the Naga, but I've always been relatively curious. I just have never felt the need for that many buttons on my mouse.
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 19:55:47 »
I think I might have to get this. I used a Naga once, and I didn't quite like the buttons, but the mouse felt really nice in my hand. Plus, I happen to like the PTE sensor, so bonus.
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline remdell

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 17:42:08 »
I love my G600, but I might have to get this because I often accidentally press the G-shift key when accessing the upper numpad buttons.  I blame my slightly below average sized hands.
Rukia PC | RF87U Digilog | Norbaforce MKII Palm Desert | Zenith ZKB-2R | Datadesk MAC-101

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 18:05:38 »

Thanks for the clarification, Razer's choice of wording led me to believe they stopped using PTE. Although I have to say that the one in the Naga 2012 is far better than the other PTEs I've used. Even though I love my Lachesis Refresh, the cursor does jump every now and then and it does occasionally stop tracking along one axis due to dust(not happened after I moved, though, less dust here). I haven't experiences any of the normal PTE issues with my Naga 2012.

I know they used a twin sensor for the Ouroboros, but I found no signs of PTE on Razer's Naga site. For instance, they usually have a graphic depicting a red and a blue beam coming from the sensor in the gallery on most PTE mice, but I seem to remember the Naga 2012 only showing a single red beam.

Also; I want the Ouroboros. I know it's probably going to be overpriced and flawed, but I still want one.

It is odd how they seem to be intentionally vague about their hardware. "4G" sensor on the spec list. I mean really, what is that supposed to mean. Seems like a spec list made to impress people by fancy numbers and terminology, not consumers who are actually interested in what they are buying.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 18:11:21 »

It is odd how they seem to be intentionally vague about their hardware. "4G" sensor on the spec list. I mean really, what is that supposed to mean. Seems like a spec list made to impress people by fancy numbers and terminology, not consumers who are actually interested in what they are buying.

Logitech have their "Delta Zero" as well, tempted to bring up Darkfield as well since I've never actually seen it explained, although because I haven't looked for an explanation on that either I'm giving that the benefit of doubt.
Although in Logitech's case the Delta Zero is probably just a way to not make it sound like they're using pretty much the same sensor as before with minor changes and instead make it sound like something new and interesting. Razer, on the other hand, seem to use it to try and keep people from finding out that they're using flawed sensors rather than making old tech seem new and exciting.

Offline Skylit

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 21:34:13 »
Delta Zero is a marketing term of "non perceivable acceleration"

4G = 4th Generation Sensor(S) Granted, it isn't helping that they released their 6400 DPI PTE (diff model numb) as 4G.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 04 August 2013, 00:02:54 »
Maybe I'll switch my naga epic to this new one. I found the normal nagas really light compared to the epic with the battery

Offline pr1me

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 04 August 2013, 02:16:15 »
I've the Naga Epic and let's be honest, the philips twin eye sensor is awful, it has an embarrassing lift off distance that goes straight bottom right of the screen once you pick up the mouse.

It's ok for MMO or if you don't lift off your mouse, unfortunately... i do  >:D

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 04 August 2013, 03:15:03 »
Delta Zero is a marketing term of "non perceivable acceleration"

4G = 4th Generation Sensor(S) Granted, it isn't helping that they released their 6400 DPI PTE (diff model numb) as 4G.

Oh ! Skylit is on Geekhack   :D
We had too few resident mouse experts , all about keyboards over here man :D

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 00:44:34 »

Micro Switches like "normal" mouse buttons have.

Yeah the buttons on the thumb grid from the old Naga feel like button you see on laser pointers.  Very short travel and a bit stiff.

While the new mechanical buttons on the new Naga should feel exactly the same as Naga Hex's thumb buttons if I'm not mistaken.  And Naga Hex's thumb buttons based on my experience feels very similar to Xornet's back/forward buttons which are made from TTC Switches.  Basically feels very springy and light and has a clicky sound to it.

So yes in my opinion it's definitely an improvement.  :)

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 10:50:52 »
I've the Naga Epic and let's be honest, the philips twin eye sensor is awful, it has an embarrassing lift off distance that goes straight bottom right of the screen once you pick up the mouse.

It's ok for MMO or if you don't lift off your mouse, unfortunately... i do  >:D

If you're an MMO player, you should just get a gaming keypad (Razer Nostromo, Razer Orbweaver, or Logitech G13). It's pretty much all you will ever need to play MMOs and takes away the need for a mouse with tons of buttons. Your thumb isn't that dexterous when it comes to pressing multiple buttons quickly and I find that the thumbpad on the gaming keypads gives slightly better reaction time than WASD'ing.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline dmbr

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 18:30:54 »
So has anyone tried it out yet?

$80 is steep but this thing looks great, as I'm an FPS gamer who uses a lot of binds.

Offline Lawngahnome

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 00:15:50 »
I have a naga epic, and the Razor Synapse program is really hit and miss. Sometimes it's awesome, and sometimes it's poop. You can just do without it, but then you can't customize the lights a such. Kinda a disappointment honestly.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 12:34:24 »
If you're an MMO player, you should just get a gaming keypad (Razer Nostromo, Razer Orbweaver, or Logitech G13). It's pretty much all you will ever need to play MMOs and takes away the need for a mouse with tons of buttons. Your thumb isn't that dexterous when it comes to pressing multiple buttons quickly and I find that the thumbpad on the gaming keypads gives slightly better reaction time than WASD'ing.

I have mastered my Naga 2012, and can effectively cast all my abilities in rhythm with the global cooldown, while maintaining pretty much 100% "needed" accuracy (no loss of LOS, always tracking the target.) I also play the stealth / rogue class in my MMO of choice and moving around while executing abilities isn't a problem either.  I am by no stretch special, or gifted in hand-eye coordination. It took me about 2 to 4 weeks to acclimate to adequate skill level, and a couple months for it to fully sink in to where I could execute any of my slots without batting an eye.

WASD is not slower or quicker than the Orbweaver's thumbpad. There's no physical way for it to be "more responsive"

In conclusion, I think what you're effectively doing by going from Naga to Orbweaver, is taking some work away from your right thumb, and offloading that  onto your left thumb and left-hand fingers, which just equates to extra work, IMO.

Offline xandr

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 01:59:29 »
Friend of mine ordered the left-handed version the second they announced it and I got to check it out when it arrived last week.

Result: I ordered the right-handed version straight away. :)

The "mechanical" buttons feel really nice, the newer shape fits my hands well and the fact that it does have a tilt-wheel now made it pretty much a no-brainer for me. Too bad it's on back order and will take about 2-3 weeks. :S
Sprit 60% w/MX Clear in DuckMini V2 case | Matias Quiet Pro (office)

Offline thp777

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 18:01:47 »
the old one had metal dome smd buttons for the side buttons so idk what they did different this time besides less force

Offline xandr

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 05:26:30 »
I got my Naga 2014 yesterday and while the hardware sure feels nice, I have to say that it's a massive disappointment on the software side of things.

I'm not sure if it's an error in Razer's HID implementation in the Naga's firmware, or if it's intended, but unless you're using the Synapse 2.0 driver on a Mac, the tilt-wheel's left/right movement is recognized as wheel scroll down/up.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 05:58:40 »
I got my Naga 2014 yesterday and while the hardware sure feels nice, I have to say that it's a massive disappointment on the software side of things.

I'm not sure if it's an error in Razer's HID implementation in the Naga's firmware, or if it's intended, but unless you're using the Synapse 2.0 driver on a Mac, the tilt-wheel's left/right movement is recognized as wheel scroll down/up.

Question; why would you use the Naga without Synapse? I mean the major selling point og it is the numpad, and you need Synapse for that. Or are you just going to use the stock numpad settings? Or just because the shape is nice, that's the only reason I like my Naga 2012 so much, the shape is amazing.

Offline xandr

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 07:03:36 »
I have a licence for ControllerMate. That driver does everything that Razer Synapse or Logitech SetPoint do, just way better. Also it's universal and works with any USB HID like for example xbox 360 gamepads. Sadly it depends on all interfaces on the HID being implemented correctly so it can't work around the mentioned issue with the Naga's tilt wheel.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 11:17:00 »
I have a licence for ControllerMate. That driver does everything that Razer Synapse or Logitech SetPoint do, just way better. Also it's universal and works with any USB HID like for example xbox 360 gamepads. Sadly it depends on all interfaces on the HID being implemented correctly so it can't work around the mentioned issue with the Naga's tilt wheel.

don't think this is the fault of Razer if you're insisting on using 3rd party software and not getting you desired effect.
If Synapse makes the mouse work fine, i don't know how you can be massively disappointed in Razer on the software side of things for not having complete compatibility for a software they have no control of?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 12:19:53 »
How the **** isn't using proprietary crapware instead of onboard memory Razer's fault?

Offline xandr

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 15:04:53 »
don't think this is the fault of Razer if you're insisting on using 3rd party software and not getting you desired effect.
If Synapse makes the mouse work fine, i don't know how you can be massively disappointed in Razer on the software side of things for not having complete compatibility for a software they have no control of?

That's the thing: Synapse isn't making the mouse work fine. It's just making it work less broken. Synapse doesn't even allow you to map any other mouse button events to the existing buttons. You have "Left Click", "Right Click", "Scroll Click", "Mouse 4", "Mouse 5" and that's it. Even Logitech's crappy SetPoint lets you assign up to Mouse 8 out of the box.

And don't get me started on the fact that Synapse force-installs a WoW addon that f*cks around with your keybindings if you have a Razer Orbweaver connected. What happened to non-intrusive software?