Author Topic: Elitekeyboard 104 set $20  (Read 10289 times)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Elitekeyboard 104 set $20
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 08:48:20 »
Hey guys, I actually just got an email back from Brian at elitekeyboards. He says that there are blanks in these colors on the way. The majority of the shipment was sent by boat, to include all of the colored blanks, with a limited number of the colored printed sets, and black blank sets, sent by air. He wanted to get them debuted as quickly as possible, since they're 8 months overdue. But given another 3 or 4 weeks, the same colors will be available in blanks.

Also, he mentioned the reusable keycap packaging, saying that they'd recently patented it. He was very excited because this is the packaging debut as well, and expects the packaging to be more popular than the keycaps that come in it.

He was very receptive and thankful for the feedback I sent them, and I have to say that this interaction with them has led me to decide that they'll be getting my business. Even if I was on the fence about the blanks (which I wasn't, assuming they were an option) this has definitely made my decision for me.

Good to know. I've never managed to get anyone from EK to reply to an email!!

Definitely interested to see this packaging, especially if they 'patented' it.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 13:58:03 »
If I can't find an affordable CCnG, I may have to make a ghetto set with either the green blanks or this set.  Good prices on a full set.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 13:59:10 »
If I can't find an affordable CCnG, I may have to make a ghetto set with either the green blanks or this set.  Good prices on a full set.

You should wait until CCnG round 2 gets shipped. I'm sure people will be trying to sell their stuff  from this round when it arrives.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 13:59:50 »

I believe I know someone who would be willing to sell these for a good price. Minus the 'packaging'.  ;)

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 09:44:08 »
I would quickly jump on both the light blue and lavender sets if they were blank.

Unfortunate, that.

Maybe we should start an email campaign?

They'll be blank eventually ;)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 23:04:13 »
Blank are now available in all the same colours as printed.

Same price.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 23:37:43 »
Blank are now available in all the same colours as printed.

Same price.

Well now that's more worth it....if only they were PBT.

Offline uzoc

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 01:02:13 »
Thanks for the tip!
P.S. The shipping is kinda high at $11.
But, if you order two sets (for example what I did, green and red) the shipping remains the same
so that each cap comes out to around 25 cents each.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 01:06:58 »
Thanks for the tip!
But, if you order two sets (for example what I did, green and red) the shipping remains the same

Remember that shipping includes the large flat plastic case that the keycaps come in - they are not just chucked into a padded bag.

You can see the plastic case here.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline uzoc

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 01:38:45 »
Thanks for the tip!

Remember that shipping includes the large flat plastic case that the keycaps come in - they are not just chucked into a padded bag.

Nice case, getting two (or more sets?) keeps the shipping the same, so you pay 25 cents (or less) per cap.

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 01:46:04 »
If you were to get the blank sets, would it be worth the $20?
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 04:54:38 »

Have a read of this and decide for yourself.

The biggest criticism is that they are pad printed and thus the legends will wear off in time.  Exactly how much time no-one knows, as the sets were only recently released.

But if you don't mind OEM profile and ABS - $20 is not bad for a full set, plus a plastic box to keep them in.

Offline dante

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 09:47:23 »

It was worth it for me.

I've wanted a Leopold FC200R MX Black Otaku for the longest time.  But not only has EK never imported MX Black Otaku's - they cancelled the Otaku line in favor of buying blank caps if you want them.

On the other hand, these keycaps offer three things that IMO are better than the Otaku's:

1) The OS keys are flat and do not have the annoying bubble.
2) No LED windows means no annoying light and a stealthier look.
3) The thick 1.3 abs spacebar is really nice.

For $20, it's half the price of WASD and you get a nice case.  No brainer!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 09:48:34 »
Off Subject....does anyone know if MX stems are PBT plastic?

No, they should be a single material.

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 09:51:29 »
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I might be picking up a set of blank caps in the near future.
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline xavierblak

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 10:17:20 »

Those plastic cases look pretty nice. Anyone know if they've thought about selling empty cases?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 10:20:51 »

Those plastic cases look pretty nice. Anyone know if they've thought about selling empty cases?

From what I heard they are going to sell just the cases eventually.

Offline xavierblak

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 10:35:53 »
From what I heard they are going to sell just the cases eventually.

Cool. Whoever gets some cheap keyset storage to market soon will get my money. These are a nice option because they are clear.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 04:19:57 »
FYI overseas shipping is silly for these.

If anyone wants a case but not the keycaps, you might see if you can arrange a proxy arrangement with someone not in US.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 14:13:18 »
I was hoping someone out there will be able to design a stack able version that can fit tsangan, extra caps lock, 7x space bars, so on so forth.

I would pay a good chunk of change for that.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #70 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 18:27:48 »
I was hoping someone out there will be able to design a stack able version that can fit tsangan, extra caps lock, 7x space bars, so on so forth.

I would pay a good chunk of change for that.

Coincidentally a couple of keycap boxes appeared around the same time.  IIRC KeyPop and GasMasks both have one at the moment.