Author Topic: Bueller's 66-key Custom (inspired by Matt3o)  (Read 3191 times)

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
Bueller's 66-key Custom (inspired by Matt3o)
« on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 00:28:15 »
Will do a more detailed write up on the steps I took to get to this stage but I'm not 100% finished yet so I'll just start with some pictures!

Still need to get some caps on her as well but I have a tiny bit of soldering left and I'm also waiting on a 7U space bar + 1.5x mods to arrive.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 August 2013, 00:34:46 by bueller »
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline Flamingchook

• There are no dumb questions, only forbidden ones.
Re: Bueller's 66-key Custom (inspired by Matt3o)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 00:55:43 »
Nice work! I love the layout. What controller is that?
MX: Filco Majestouch Metalic Blue 104-key w/ MX Brown, JD40 w/ MX Green, ErgoDox w/ MX Blue, GHPad w/ MX Blue. Topre: Realforce 87U 45g. BS: IBM Model M 52G9700 29-OCT-93
Soon™: GH60 w/ 62g MX Clear, [CTRL]ALT 60 w/ MX Green

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 01:07:30 »
Very nice job!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 01:07:58 »
Nice work! I love the layout. What controller is that?

http://www.mattairtech.com/index.php/development-boards/atmega32u4-usb-development-board-arduino-compatible.html

Bought it so I could wire a USB port directly to the controller but it's a little bit too large to be worth it really.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 01:53:13 »
Looks like I may need to resolder the micro-controller or I have completely fubared it and will need to replace. The = key just keeps repeating again and again even after desoldering that entire column :(

Got a Teensy breakout coming from Melvang so I may just go with a Teensy 2.0 to save the hassles.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
    • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 01:58:10 »
are you sure that maybe you don't have something fubar'd in the firmware? I ran across this with hasu's firmware because I messed up my layout.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 02:24:20 »
are you sure that maybe you don't have something fubar'd in the firmware? I ran across this with hasu's firmware because I messed up my layout.

That's not a bad idea, might resolder the 2 columns I've pulled off and take another look at the firmware.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 08:01:45 »
I like it! Keyboard science in action.

Offline UniClown

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 19:20:49 »
This is truly great! I've sort of been following your project from a distance because I plan on making my own 65% board at some point in the future. That wiring is pretty insane and must have taken a lot of work. Congrats on getting this far. I bet you're super excited to finally put some caps on dat.  :thumb:

Edit: also, what is your function layer configuration? You already gave me this as your layout.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 August 2013, 21:44:09 by UniClown »

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 22:10:25 »
This is truly great! I've sort of been following your project from a distance because I plan on making my own 65% board at some point in the future. That wiring is pretty insane and must have taken a lot of work. Congrats on getting this far. I bet you're super excited to finally put some caps on dat.  :thumb:

Edit: also, what is your function layer configuration? You already gave me this as your layout.

Yep  that's my layout! Definitely took me a long time to get the wiring done, next board is going to have a PCB I think as I don't want to go through that again. Just need to speak with samwisekoi and see if there is anything I can do to push the GH65-75 project moving :)

Can't wait to get some caps on it, just waiting on a CCnG set :)

Offline UniClown

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 11:01:08 »

Yep  that's my layout! Definitely took me a long time to get the wiring done, next board is going to have a PCB I think as I don't want to go through that again. Just need to speak with samwisekoi and see if there is anything I can do to push the GH65-75 project moving :)

Yeah, I'd probably wait for that project to finish because the PCB is top-notch. I think you misunderstood my question. I know your layout. However, I am curious as to what your function layer is aka what do your keys do when you hold down function key.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 11:25:51 »
Hey, I am considering getting a similar case done, but I have no experience with any cnc machine. How much did it cost to make a case like that and what kind of file is required?
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 12:15:15 »

Yeah, I'd probably wait for that project to finish because the PCB is top-notch. I think you misunderstood my question. I know your layout. However, I am curious as to what your function layer is aka what do your keys do when you hold down function key.

Ah of course, my function layer is pretty simple really. The numeric keys are all F1-F12 and the arrows are pgup/dn and home/end.

Hey, I am considering getting a similar case done, but I have no experience with any cnc machine. How much did it cost to make a case like that and what kind of file is required?

The cost for all the material and cutting was $66 and all you need is a CAD file. I'll try and post mine up in the next couple of days.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 14:08:19 »
Looking great so far!  Love the progress you've made.  :D

Offline rurushu

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 14:47:35 »
wow... this thing must weigh quite alot... considering so many pieces of raw metal wedged together!