Author Topic: Choosing a keyboard with the amount of options.  (Read 736 times)

Offline Anaxagoras

Choosing a keyboard with the amount of options.
« on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 16:37:19 »
I have searched the forums quite a bit, read reviews on tons of issues but of course some things get by (Im not really understanding modifiers etc but I guess that can come later)

First though I would like to tell you what I did and that I would like to thank you guys for being keyboard enthusiasts. I worked at a government electronic surplus facility for years. We would take in various truckloads of out of date electronic equipment and resell it.  This included everything from tandy 1000's to jockstraps, medical equipment etc.    Unfortunately the owner with lack of experience felt that keyboards that were not at least PS2 were of no value.  Employee's were not allowed to take or buy items from consignors so instead we had to "recycle them".    I have thrown away more industrial Model M's than I can count on all fingers.. In fact any IBM M/F , Chicony etc were all thrown away if they had odd ends(terminal ends/rj45 etc/XT)  I am just glad you guys respect these older keyboards and keep them around in good condition, even though I am not a typist it sucks throwing out things which I knew (I did not know the value until now) were something special.  There were even odd versions of IBM's which I guess were designed so that every key sounded the same and could not be recorded for hacking? (not sure if there is truth in this but those keyboards were HEAVY, i wish I would of written down the model numbers)

With all that said, there are so many options and I am hoping you guys can point me in the right direction. I was waiting for wasd v1 to go on sale but they never did. They just ran out it seems.
  • Mainly will be used for gaming, FPS, RTS, etc
  • Must be under 150 shipped
  • Tenkyless as I am running out of desk space, but if there is a good deal for fullsize im all for it
  • Must be from a seller in the US

From reading it seems most say to go with MX Browns, I suppose this is what I will go with.   But my question is, how do I choose?  With someone like me who just plays games is the 70 extra for a beetle compared to say a CM Rapid worth it?  I doubt I will regret my choice and I know it comes down to personal preference but if I paid 150 for a keyboard just to find out there is a version of it with different labeling for 100 I might be upset.   

Right now these are what I am looking at
CM Rapid
Beetle
Poker II
KBT Oni
Noppoo Choc Mini 84
Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless
Leopold FC660M
WASD V2

Thanks guys, basically just wanted your personal preference for this price range and why.

Offline Obakemono

Re: Choosing a keyboard with the amount of options.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 17:50:18 »
If it's gonna be mainly for gaming, maybe a 60% is not the better options, depending on what type of games you play.

CM Rapid or Filco are both great boards, i think that they are your better options.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Choosing a keyboard with the amount of options.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 17:54:43 »
If you are not sure, then spending a bit less to begin with would be a good idea.

QFR is a good price/quality balance.

FC660M has almost all excellent reviews.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ