Author Topic: Mac Key Caps for Model M/F?  (Read 1678 times)

Offline YakMN

Mac Key Caps for Model M/F?
« on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 22:57:31 »
Has anyone bought the mac key cap set that Unicomp sells? It says something odd on it: "This set works on the 104/105 key chassis only. It does not fit the 101/102 or 122 key chassis.". Do they mean that it has a couple keys that have the wrong width for the 101 key layout boards? Or is there physically something different with the keycaps themselves?

I'm interested in putting these on a model M or model F AT.

http://pckeyboard.com/page/Buttons/MAC

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Mac Key Caps for Model M/F?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 23:14:48 »
Just means that it has slightly smaller modifiers to fit Ctrl/Alt/Win/Menu keys, whereas the 101 key layout only has Ctrl and Alt.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline YakMN

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 23:46:11 »
Ok, that's what I thought. I guess they are something like 1.5 on the Model Ms, and 1.25 on the unicomp 104 key arrangements?

I was mainly interested in the function keys, but I found a close up of them on their mac-friendly board, and it has F1, F2, etc, on them as well as the symbols, but those keys don't have those functions on my mac. I'd rather just get a set of keys that had brightness, mute, eject, etc., but no F#s on them. That would be a lot more flexible.

Has anybody used the custom printing for that? Any advice?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 08:02:40 »
it has F1, F2, etc, on them as well as the symbols,

I'd rather just get a set of keys that had brightness, mute, eject, etc., but no F#s on them. That would be a lot more flexible.

Absolutely this.

Also a single-width Windows key.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 08:08:42 »
I asked about custom keys a few weeks ago when I ordered some sets, but was told they can only produce keys with existing legends. So you can get Esc in red, but not a "Macro 1" key, for instance.